When does it become "pushy"???

TEXASMUNK

Just read about the enhanced amenities in suites. Nice touch.

ALso been reading about demands regarding the Consierge Lounge.

Just a question, when does this "benefit" begin to become a burden for RCI with passengers demanding more and more? Could the demands....cause RCI to re-think the enhancement?

RCI continues to cut costs in every area and to add more opportunities for onboard spending.

I absolutely think the CL benefit will be reduced, and soon. As more and more become Diamond members, the burden increases.

I can see them revamping the program as it is not practical to continue.

If they cut back the amenities people are used to receiving they may loose customers so I don't think it will happen. There must be a reason they continue to "add" perks, possably because they aren't reaching the goals of their marketing dept for repeat customers?

If people don't spend money onboard, and look for all the "freebies" it will cut into RCCL's profit. This is the topic of another thread, but if more and more people continue to bring their own wine and liquor onboard, this could cut enough into the profit margin to start raising the bar as far as who gets the priviliges. The same "wine smugglers" who brag about what they bring onboard will most likely be the first and loudest of the cry babies. In the future, we could all have to be both a Diamond and above, and a cabin level of GS and above to get the priviliges and discounts.

Tasha

Seems to me that we are getting a bit greedy at times when it comes to perks. We choose to cruise not because of the perks but because of the trip itself. The perks are a nice bonus but they don't make or break my experience. The itinerary, class of ship, and cabin are the most important to me. The only comment I would make in regards to perks would be that they be consistant on all the ships. It does seem that each ship does different things rather than the same across the board.

They've already cut back in the area of cuisine. The dining room meals are NOT what they used to be. The tableware has been "downgraded"--no more real silverware--now it's stainless. No more molded butter pats--now it's the nasty wrapped stuff. The food selection is much less, as well. Used to be about 4-5 salads available everynight--now there are maybe 2. The vegetable selection is about what you would find in an Applebee's--mixed veggies EVERY night!!! And do I really need to expound upon the desserts???

This has been a MAJOR cost cutting move on RCI's part--and the sad thing is, most folks (expecially new cruisers) don't even notice! Too bad.

They've already cut back in the area of cuisine. The dining room meals are NOT what they used to be. The tableware has been "downgraded"--no more real silverware--now it's stainless. No more molded butter pats--now it's the nasty wrapped stuff. The food selection is much less, as well. Used to be about 4-5 salads available everynight--now there are maybe 2. The vegetable selection is about what you would find in an Applebee's--mixed veggies EVERY night!!! And do I really need to expound upon the desserts???

This has been a MAJOR cost cutting move on RCI's part--and the sad thing is, most folks (expecially new cruisers) don't even notice! Too bad.

Amen:D.

Also, the fact is that new cruisers still make up the majority. We like the CL but only use it in the morning generally when there is no one else there. At night, it is packed and also we prefer to pay for a good glass of wine or our preferred martini at the Champagne Bar than to imbibe just because it is free.

There is also abuse of the CL by those trying to sneak in, or sneak others in. RCI has cracked down and will continue to do so.

Princess recently cut perks for their Elite cruisers; it is the way it is. As competition increases as well as capacity, lines will be even more driven to unload cabins and cut costs.

I do miss the old RCI but there is no turning back.

If people don't spend money onboard, and look for all the "freebies" it will cut into RCCL's profit. This is the topic of another thread, but if more and more people continue to bring their own wine and liquor onboard, this could cut enough into the profit margin to start raising the bar as far as who gets the priviliges. The same "wine smugglers" who brag about what they bring onboard will most likely be the first and loudest of the cry babies. In the future, we could all have to be both a Diamond and above, and a cabin level of GS and above to get the priviliges and discounts.

Tasha

I agree with you 110%, from what I gather form my short time on this board is that no one cares until it effects to them, or they get caught and the answer is alwways the same " I did not know" or "We did it before with no problem!!" and cry louder then anyone else on why they have to pay more now then they did last cruise as they smuggle thier booze and hog chairs

the LA on Vision in December told us the C & A program was going to be revamped in 2007. He didn't say what was going to happen but it made me afraid.

I really enjoy the perks and appreciate them and realize I’m not entitled to them. I use balcony discounts, priority boarding and disembarkation, and I’m looking forward to my first experience in the CL in May. The perks do entice us to use RCI instead of other cruise lines. We’ve been on other lines and find some of the differences negligible and the deciding factor on booking RCI has been based on the perks we’ve received.

I hope the revamping of the CL that you’ve heard of is an enhancement and not a reduction in present benefits.

Lets step back and look at the big picture...What hasn't changed in our world...I can remember when you got a sandwich on an airplane...When you got your oil checked at a full service gas station...And the biggie.....When corprate america actually cared about your business...Sure you get little

"teaser" perks from time to time but the bottom line is, PROFIT....I hate it as much as anyone, but the day of......"Welcome Aboard Mr. & Mrs Smith" are just about gone....But I wont quite cruising...I have alot of places on my list to see before my day on earth ends....

Tasha

I "smuggled" four bottles of wine onboard and still somehow managed to spend in excess of $700 on additional wine over the course of 7 days. This not counting the mixed drinks, money spent at Portofino and the shops etc. I don't think that I should be forced to consume sub-par on-board merchandise at an extra cost so that I can support someone else's concierge lounge time. The expense of that amenity should be borne in the cruise fares of those passengers. Next you'll be suggesting that we should have to use cruise-offered excursions or stay on the boat so that we don't dent the profit margin. Be realistic. If anything, I contribute to their profit margin by paying them 12 bucks to pop my cork!:D

We have a nice little relationship going with Royal Caribbean.....and will continue to do so as long as the perks continue. My DH is caught hook, line, and sinker with this Diamond business along with the other perks and discounts.....

- JS double cruise credit

- Concierge or Diamond lounge for Diamond members---the complimentary cocktails, the Concierge and his services, the complimentary espresso machine....

- various discounts and special phone number to book cruises

If it were not for this enticement/reward system, I would know what the Queen Mary 2, the Celebrity Journey, the Caribbean Princess, the Noordam, the Regatta, and the Aurora looks like. *sigh*

Leslie

Not a burden at all, but a basic and prudent marketing decision. It is a known fact that attracting new customers has a much higher cost than it does to retain a current customer. So, as a business decision, it only makes sense to continue to cater to those who keep returning to you. A Platinum, Diamond or Diamond + member has proven that they enjoy the product, and continue to utilize it.

For those that feel that the overall quality has gone down, it has, but a proportional ratio to the dollar spent. We have heard so many times here at CC how much the industry has changed, yet, it seems to be generally accepted that it is so much more cost effective now (exception being directly after 9/11 when it was down right cheap to cruise) than at any other time in history. The only way the industry can continue to offer low cost cruises is the cut in certain areas of cost, and increase revenue generation in other areas, "the nickel and diming" effect. It really does become basic business. As a stockholder, I want to see the company profitable, get a yearly divident, and yet, as a satisfied customer, continue to enjoy the product.

I, for one, keep coming back, taking our tenth cruise this weekend. I like the product, they treat me well, and continue to give me incentives to return.

They may revamp the program, but they will continue to cater to returning customers and will do so at a cost effective adjunct tp attracting new cruisers. Just my humble Cape Cod opinion.

I don't think people are "demanding more and more" – the recent CL flap on Serenade had to do with D/D+ being denied access to the Concierge. I think people are perfectly entitled to gripe when perks to which they are currently entitled are not delivered. On a recent Serenade cruise (a members' cruise with a large number of Diamond/Diamond Plus passengers onboard) a lounge was made available on Deck 13 for the cocktail hour, but D/D+ could not use the CL at any time, not just during the evening, and apparently could not contact the Concierge for whatever service they wanted. Currently, that access is a designated perk for D/D+. Simply saying, oops, sorry, too many of you on this sailing so we're not going to offer it is unacceptable, IMHO. I get that it's all about the bottom line – if RCI plans to revoke that perk, so be it, but to do so for a single sailing simply because it's inconvenient/impracticable to offer it is simply bad planning and horrific PR. As an aside, I wonder if it isn't Serenade's management that's the problem – we found such a ridiculous crowd on our October cruise that we avoided the CL until late in the cocktail hour so as to avoid being trampled. They knew well ahead of time how many D/D+ would be onboard, and could have planned to open the HO as an alternate lounge, or at least put another bartender in the CL, but did neither. As a result, the Concierge was overwhelmed and everybody was cranky.

As for wishing for more perks, why not? A man's reach should exceed his grasp and all…

Not a burden at all, but a basic and prudent marketing decision. It is a known fact that attracting new customers has a much higher cost than it does to retain a current customer. So, as a business decision, it only makes sense to continue to cater to those who keep returning to you. A Platinum, Diamond or Diamond + member has proven that they enjoy the product, and continue to utilize it.

For those that feel that the overall quality has gone down, it has, but a proportional ratio to the dollar spent. We have heard so many times here at CC how much the industry has changed, yet, it seems to be generally accepted that it is so much more cost effective now (exception being directly after 9/11 when it was down right cheap to cruise) than at any other time in history. The only way the industry can continue to offer low cost cruises is the cut in certain areas of cost, and increase revenue generation in other areas, "the nickel and diming" effect. It really does become basic business. As a stockholder, I want to see the company profitable, get a yearly divident, and yet, as a satisfied customer, continue to enjoy the product.

I, for one, keep coming back, taking our tenth cruise this weekend. I like the product, they treat me well, and continue to give me incentives to return.

They may revamp the program, but they will continue to cater to returning customers and will do so at a cost effective adjunct tp attracting new cruisers. Just my humble Cape Cod opinion.

I agree 110%. :)

In order for any business to grow, or to maintain itself, they need to keep attracting new business. A first-time cruiser is your most important customer. Yes, a loyal customer is extremely important, but in this world you have to continually attract new business, especially new business that has the means to spend money, ie, Suite bookings. Thirty year cruiseres grow too old to travel, pass away, lose their job, move on to other types of vacations, or another cruiseline. I believe RCCL successfully caters to everyone, and will continue to do so as long as it is financially in their interest. As a Diamond member, I have no complaints, I take advantage of custom air on every cruise, but if some of the benefits were taken away, I would still cruise with RCCL because it is the vacation I enjoy, not small perks that are supposed to make me feel important.

Tasha

We usually take 2 or 3 cruises per year, and always book a suite. This is our first time on RCCL, and I have to say I was shocked at the nearly total lack of amenities for suite guests compared to other lines, even in the same price bracket- NCL had a bar stocked with free booze and sodas, HAL had free drinks available in the CL all the time.

I don't consider Special boarding much of a benefit, especially when they include so many diamond members that the line isn't much different than regular boarding. It sure doesn't cost Rccl much. Robes and shampoo I would consider bare minimum, and I couldn't believe the k-mart TV's in the pictured suites. And if the CL is as overrun as it sounds to be on these boards, what is the point of having it?

We booked this cruise because we are looking for a teen friendly line, that our daughter and girlfriend would enjoy. If we like it, we will be back.

I have to travel for my new job, I just recently returned and was shocked when the airline, a major carrier, charges now for snacks! Good thing I take my own most of the time.

I liked wrapped butter, they use Land O lakes which is one of my favs, and it is much more sanitary. Do I care if I use stainless steel or real silver, not really, does not make the food taste different. I have been cruising for 10 yrs and have never seen more than a couple of salads offered, but I do miss the dressing options, it does not make the cruise worse for me because of these things, nah not really. I have noticed NOTHING, on land, air or sea is how it used to be. Everyone is cutting back in order to save money. People complain about how much things cost, so they cut costs and reduce fares, the people complain about small things being cut. If they left out the pats of butter and the baskets of bread on the table, someone would complain about how sanitary that was or how wasteful it is when they have to toss out food for sanitary reasons.

I would rather not have the extras, enjoy an affordable cruise.

In order for any business to grow, or to maintain itself, they need to keep attracting new business. A first-time cruiser is your most important customer. Yes, a loyal customer is extremely important, but in this world you have to continually attract new business, especially new business that has the means to spend money, ie, Suite bookings. Thirty year cruiseres grow too old to travel, pass away, lose their job, move on to other types of vacations, or another cruiseline. I believe RCCL successfully caters to everyone, and will continue to do so as long as it is financially in their interest. As a Diamond member, I have no complaints, I take advantage of custom air on every cruise, but if some of the benefits were taken away, I would still cruise with RCCL because it is the vacation I enjoy, not small perks that are supposed to make me feel important.

Tasha

Tasha, I agree that it is more important to attract new business than to preserve old.

I enjoy perks but rarely make choices based on them when it comes to cruises. If the product is not a fit, no amount of free stuff makes it better.

I do think RCI will make big changes that will likely disappoint some members. As a D Plus, I expect things will not change much but would understand if they do.

I respectfully disagree. Growth does not equate with profit. You can grow like crazy, but if it is not profitable, business goes bust. It just costs less to maintain a loyal customer than it is to attract a new one.

I will agree that new business is important, but not to the extent that you diminish any level of service to your loyal customers. It does take both old and new customers to preserve the delicate balance necessary to remain profitable. Remember, the bottom line is always the bottom line.

I'm not sure why this rumor keeps floating around that rccl is going to change all the perks for their C&A loyalty cruisers. I really don't see any reason for them to change it especially for profit reasons. They are not losing any big profits by giving their loyalty cruisers perks. Rccl will continue to get our business (loyalty business) if they do not take away.

I for one believe they will read these boards and only enhance perks for their loyalty cruisers not take away. Now that makes great business sense to me.

Nothing was taken away. I was in the CL on the Serenade, and it is not large enough to accomodate all the D & D+ members. You were given an alternate location. Why the whining?

If you're talking to me, I wasn't on the Serenade for that trip, but several posters on another thread were. The only alternate location, as I understand it, was at the cocktail hour. They reported that they were not given an alternate Concierge to make arrangements, nor were they allowed access to the lounge during the day for continental breakfast, all day cappuccino (which is far more attractive to me than the drinks they serve at cocktail hour), a quiet place to use the Internet terminals, etc. So they did not get the perks to which RCI currently says they are entitled, so I'd say something was taken away. If RCI changes the policy, then there's no expectation of the perk, but if you promise something, you should deliver on that promise, don't you think?

None of the above would be a deal-breaker for me - the itinerary and overall ship experience trump access to the CL. It would, however, open the door a little wider to the competition.

Archived