Just got back from first solo cruise

SheriNtexas

I too will be a first time cruiser. I'm going on the Carnival Triumph on March 3rd of 07' so the day is fast approaching. I like all the advice that has been given here, I was apprehensive about going solo but I am feeling much better about things after reading these posts. If anyone has been on this ship and give me a little advice or is going on the same dates give me a yell.

HI,

Would recommend that you seriously consider having your breakfast and lunch in the Dining Room and not at the Lido.

Reason, you will be seated at a large table on a first come basis with other passengers. Some married like wife and I, others singles traveling together and others solo's like yourself. So you have 10 to 12 people around a table ordering their meal from a menu and the waiter serves you your meal. The dress is very casual. Same as for Lido. We have gone in jeans or in shorts at times. Dress code is same as for Lido at breakfast and lunch.

Allow more time to eat as service is slower. But you will be seated at a table full of people willing and wanting (in most cases)to talk with one another. So that would be a better option for you.

We go mainly because we do not have to fight for a table in the Lido to eat at. Another big plus.

Something to think about and try the next time you cruise. Go for it.:D

So you are saying that if i eat in the dining room and not at the buffet, they will seat me at a large table with other people for lunch and dinner? The only time i have eaten dinner in a dining room was on formal night on my cruise on Ecstasy. If i eat in the dining room, we don't have the same assigned seating that we do at dinner?

Sheri

Sheri, hi:)

Most....Most cruiselines have "Open Seating" for breakfast

and lunch in the dining room. I can't speak for every line but

I do know most do it that way.

You go in...and normally there are waiters and Maitr'ds at the door.

I eat breakfast and lunch in the dining room very often.

They will ask how many are in your party. I say, just me:D

and yes, I request a table with other people. It is a nice way

to meet others.

Open seating is just that.....open, where they put different

people together.

Now, as for dinner, I always request a large table. Not just

for Formal night.....but every night.

If your cruiseline has traditional dining (same tablemates, same

waiter each night) then yes, you will sit with the same people.

I much prefer it that way! Getting to know my tablemates and

my waitstaff...its one of the things I love about cruising:)

Sheri, hi:)

Most....Most cruiselines have "Open Seating" for breakfast

and lunch in the dining room. I can't speak for every line but

I do know most do it that way.

You go in...and normally there are waiters and Maitr'ds at the door.

I eat breakfast and lunch in the dining room very often.

They will ask how many are in your party. I say, just me:D

and yes, I request a table with other people. It is a nice way

to meet others.

Open seating is just that.....open, where they put different

people together.

Now, as for dinner, I always request a large table. Not just

for Formal night.....but every night.

If your cruiseline has traditional dining (same tablemates, same

waiter each night) then yes, you will sit with the same people.

I much prefer it that way! Getting to know my tablemates and

my waitstaff...its one of the things I love about cruising:)

:( Wow, I had NO idea that i could go in there for breakfast or lunch and actually get to sit at a large table with other people! It makes sense, but i guess i thought it was like going into any restaurant on land, lol! I should have done more research on that topic since i plan myself to death getting ready for a cruise, lol! I feel so much better now and I think i am going to keep my cruise plans for my Voyager of the Seas trip in april 2008! While i am at it, thanks to all of you for responding to my post and helping me feel so much better about "solo" cruising! I just needed a healthy dose of self confidence which i have been missing for along time. I dont want to wait for someone to cruise with! I am 42 and none of us knows how long we have on this wonderful earth, and i don't want to waste a second enjoying what time i have left! Thanks again you all!:)

Reading the various messages, I note that most are women. I am travelling for the first time as a single man, with some concerns. My travel agent requested a singles table, and I am outgoing and (I believe) personable. I am no kid, 68, but active and healthy, so I feel optimistic about my upcoming cruise, which will be on the Volendam to the Panama Canal.

I will follow some of the advice about dining, and shore excursions, and look forward to a good time. Having an interesting background, I feel that I can carry on an interesting and intelligent conversation with most anyone.

I would appreciate some replies from men on their experiences as solo travelers.

NJ Dragon Lady, I've also taken solo train trips thru the years and have always met different people to chat with. Cruises and train trips are my favorite ways to travel solo.

I cruised solo over the Christmas/New Years holidays in 2006. I was concerned about being overwhelmed with extended families and kids but I had a great time. Here's what worked for me:

*Late night traditional dining--I had a great table with a 'home base' each night. I ate about half my breakfasts and lunches in the dining room. Sometimes the tables were lively and other times people didn't click.

*At each port I went on a shore excursion--Mostly this worked out well. I really liked the mix of group time and alone time in the ports. Sometimes I just enjoyed going back early to a quiet ship.

*I read the daily program each morning, checked off some interesting activities, and tried to do some new things over the cruise.

Somehow I always tell myself, after each cruise, that I'm going to do new/different activities on the next cruise. I felt the same way this time.

This year I'm doing a land tour (to Italy) but I will definately be cruising in the future.

Faith

I found this chain of discussion very interesting. I have been on my own for 10 yrs (after a 20+ marriage ended). For a couple of yrs I didn't travel simply because I could not find a travel companion. Then I met another lady that had just come back from a bus tour in Europe and she had travelled solo - this was enough incentive to get me going. At the time I was doing a fair bit of business travel on my own with no issues but felt solo vacation travel may be a little lonely.

I found exactly the opposite. As I became more self confident with being single again I grew to enjoy the benefits of solo travel. So if there is someone I know that I would enjoy to travel with - I do; but if not I travel solo and sometimes, like last yr - I travel solo because I just feel like getting away on my own.

I did my first solo cruise last yr and loved it. There are pros and cons - as with most things. But the definite advantages of travelling solo are meeting more people (at least I do), doing activities you want to do when you want to do them without fear of huring someone's feelings, having a cabin to yourself, etc.

As far as other people - yes, some people do try to make you feel uncomfortable about travelling solo; however, I have learned to 'tune them out'. My family/friends were a little concerned when I did my first solo trip; but they have now accepted the fact that I will travel - sometimes solo and sometimes with a travel companion.

I have been on several trips by myself and have had nothing but great experiences - both cruises and land packages. I think a lot of it relies on what you put into it. I found many people complimented me and were impressed that I would take a trip by myself. As someone else mentioned - if I were to wait to go with someone I'd miss out on a heck of a lot of things.

There has been a lot of great advice given already, so I won't repeat them, but don't sell yourself short - go on the trip, relax and enjoy. I truly think the second one you will feel much more comfortable and relaxed that you will really enjoy it.

I would appreciate some replies from men on their experiences as solo travelers.

I am a single man, age 55, who has been travelling solo, almost exclusively, since the age of 21. I've been on transatlantic voyages, cruises, air/land group packages, independent air/land trips, transcontinental rail trips, and independent automobile trips. I've travelled in the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia and South America. My preferred way to travel is MOST definitely solo. For me, travel, as opposed to vacationing, is about leaving your world behind, and entering new worlds. If your family and/or friends are with you, you haven't left your world behind, you've taken it with you. I find I meet many more new people solo, than when I have travelling companions. For a single male, this applies especially when it comes to getting involved with available women. As a middle class working person, my travel time is just too precious to waste it catering to travelling companions' wishes when it comes to: where to stay or eat, what sights to see, how much to spend, how long to be in a given place etc. Don't get me wrong. I've travelled with parents, siblings, friends, and girlfriends, and always had a good time. It's just that it's a very different experience. Go ahead and travel solo. I think you'll have a great time!

One of the neatest experiences I had cruising single is when I went to a midnight dessert buffet (do they even do those anymore?) and I was sat at a large table with a very nice couple. We struck up a conversation and it was so nice throughout the trip to see a "familiar" face and it was fun to smile and say "Hi". The husband was very impressed that I was travelling alone but I think his wife had a look of terror!! The neatest thing was 3-4 years later I was in an elevator in the Miami airport and ran into the same couple!! He remembered me and asked if I was heading for another cruise. I wasn't, but I was headed for a land only vacation - solo.

It's those kinds of memories that make solo travel fun for me.

Which routes on the train, NJDL? I'm scheduled for a conference in DC early March and bookended the trip with an overflight to Rhode Island and a train back to DC then a train from DC back to San Antonio. Seemed a good way to polish off 12 states I have as yet visited. Wish I could do the same to Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, North Dakota, and South Dakota, but looks like those will require a road trip.

If you trained DC through Chicago, does Amtrak stop long at Harper's Ferry? Never been there, but my cousin Lawson was John Brown's lead court appointed defender. He tried to get John to cop an insanity plea (insanity ran in his family) but John would have none of it.

so last year I went on two solo vacations by train (Washington DC for 5 days and Baltimore MD for the 4th of July weekend) and I had a blast.

D.M.;

I took the train from Edison, NJ to Washington D.C. last April (just in time for the Cherry Blossoms). It's just the regional train (I took the same one to Baltimore). I enjoyed the train ride very much...it was relaxing!! I also found that I didn't mind eating alone and made a point to treat myself to a great steak dinner one night...and I make sure not to rush my meal and even treated myself to a (few) drinks and desert!! If I can't treat myself well, who will???

Enjoy the train!! I'm looking at taking a train trip through Canada next year...it sounded like a really nice time!!

D.M.;

I took the train from Edison, NJ to Washington D.C. last April (just in time for the Cherry Blossoms). It's just the regional train (I took the same one to Baltimore). I enjoyed the train ride very much...it was relaxing!! I also found that I didn't mind eating alone and made a point to treat myself to a great steak dinner one night...and I make sure not to rush my meal and even treated myself to a (few) drinks and desert!! If I can't treat myself well, who will???

Enjoy the train!! I'm looking at taking a train trip through Canada next year...it sounded like a really nice time!!

Maybe one day our path will cross on the seas....you and I have

the same attitude:).....there is nobody else except me who

will treat myself well either;)

I will buy the first round....you can get the 2nd:D

Lois;

Maybe we will cross paths...I'm surprised we haven't!! :) I finally woke up and realized that nobody will treat you well unless you treat yourself well first...and I've been living that way for a year now (since my divorce :p ). The ladies at work are cracking up because I have always loved Broadway...and surprise, my ex didn't...so I never got to go...but since December I've seen 5 shows and there are another 5 that I'm taking in before the end of May!!! I'm having a BLAST!! :D

In your profile you do a/r...so do I (well, now I'm a 'Chargeback Analyst', but I've been doing A/R and credit for about 20 years now). Maybe our attitude has something to do with working with numbers all day...:). Well, if we should ever be lucky enough to pick the same cruise, at the same time...it would be my honor to pick up a round or two with you!!:D

I'm 30 and I've been solo travelling for years. My friends are all broke, and I'm one of the last single guys left.

When I was 23 I decided I had a weeks vacation and a healthy bank account so went last minute to Mexico. Since then I’ve been to Mexico solo 2 more times, as well as parts of Europe and all over the U.S and had a ball each time.

Last year I went with family on a cruise and realized it’s the perfect environment for a single traveller. X amount of time in the same place with the same people, shared dining facilities allowing you to meet fellow travellers. I wound up meeting quite a few people on my last cruise, despite the fact I’m pretty sure I was the youngest non-crew person on the ship, by a good margin.

This year I’m going on 2 solo cruises.

The thing I’ve learned about travelling solo is that it really isn’t for everyone, however. You have to get to the point where you don’t care what other people think. Go out, have a good time, and if you meet some new friends, great. If not, do what you want to have a good time.

If this doesn’t seem like something you can do, then it might be worthwhile to look for travelling organizations that put together packages for solo travellers. This way you’re in a big group full of solo travellers out looking for a good time. I usually avoid these as the ones in my age bracket tend to be meat markets, but I’m sure you could find some good ones out there with a little research.

I find that a good way to test travelling solo is to go to the movies alone. It awakens the same kind of thoughts in people about whether or not people are staring at you, or if they think you’re “a loser”. If you can go through a movie solo and enjoy the film, then you’ll probably enjoy travelling solo as well.

Hi Anne:) , thanks for posting that...I am a big Celebrity cruiser.

Next month will be #11 for me.

Would you do me a big favor? When you sail on March 1st, would

you mind saying hello to someone for me? His name is Erol Gray

(yes just like the tea) LOL....

He is the bartender in the Rende-Veux lounge and I have known

him for 4 years.

I was supposed to be sailing Century in April but my plans

changed and I am going on Mercury next month instead.

Could you send Erol my best wishes and tell him I won't be seeing

him:( in April....but maybe in December!

Thanks and I am glad you enjoyed the ship so much:)

Take care, Lois

Hi Lois,

Sorry to say, Erol was on vacation. The young man behind the bar did not know when he will be back. Maybe someone can contact him for you at a later time.

Century was lovely as ever. Wish my ta was on her.

Anne

Hi Anne, thanks for checking in here:)

Oh well, hopefully one day I will be on Century again

and see Erol myself;)

Glad you had a great cruise:)

This thread has been a great help in getting to the point of booking my first cruise. I'm planning on going to the Caribbean on Mariner of the Seas. While I live alone and have been single a long time there is something a little scary about seeing the world by myself. So a cruise seems the perfect answer with 3,000 plus other people along. My favourite comment on my single life style was from a friend's 6 year old daughter who sighed and said "you must just need a lot of peace and quiet" upon finding out that I had no kids, pets or a husband! :)

I would love to see some more trip reviews from people travelling solo.

• 1 month later...

I turn 51 next week, and I'm looking forward to my first solo cruise. I hope I'll be able to be engaging and meet lots of new friends.

Lois R.: My roll call has been absolutely dead for a couple of months, but I have faith that somebody will show up eventually. I'm looking forward to meeting CCers that will be on my cruise, and would love to do dinner in Miami the night before the cruise again.

Archived