Queen Mary2 arrives Auckland NZ

roscoe39

here she is....never thought Id see the day but a big welcome to the Queen Mary from Auckland New Zealand..., tonight she leaves at 10pm to fireworks and a harbour filled with well wishers.

[ATTACH]36957[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36958[/ATTACH]

ps...i have to apologise to anyone viewing her web cam today, on behalf of auckland for the pic from her Web cam today.... the QM2 is so big she has had to berth at our largest container wharf and not the normal passenger terminal...which i promise you, has a much prettier out look than this one looking at the freight!

Hi Roscoe39

We have friends who live in St Heliers and they walked to the end of their street before sunrise to watch the grand entry. They said there were over 300 boats out to greet her and the sunrise on her hull made it look like it was white for a few minutes. Massive traffic chaos too as the whole city seemed to go out to watch her. They sent a couple of photos against the AKL bridge showing how huge she is compared to the bridge. Hope youtube will have some videos - - none yet.

Patti

damn! I wish id known....I was looking for some new best friends with a house along that way to watch her come in ,lol,,,, but we ended up on the sea wall at 5.30am with the rest of Auckland and had an incredible view of her coming up the harbour with the tugs spraying water in her honour. Id like to see those pics of her against the harbour bridge if you can manage, we were at the wrong angle for that shot.!

They are expecting a huge number of boats on the water tonight to watch her go out....and we will be front row centre with a glass of something as well.

Im sure Sydney will put on a pretty good welcome as well..... go ozzies...

Sorry my friend you should have parked yourself on Noth Head, it was truly awesome.

What a Kiwi skipper and a Kiwi cadet, which one of them was on the hooter, I have a feeling it might well have been the youngster cause it was sure as hec been given a massive outing. One hoot from the William C Daldy and she was all on.

I just know it was a very special morning and I am sure glad I made that 5.30 start to get up North Head, the 2 1/2 drive out of Devonport was not so much fun.

What really amused me hugely was the flashlights from shore to ship and the flashlights from ship to shore as she rounded North Head. :D

884296339_QM2Auckland.jpg.e3041782f66b873a27122c51e91f9957.jpg

nice shot.....hahah...some of those flashlights were from a group next to us signalling their friends on board......youd think there was nothing else going on in town.....(well at that time in the morning..there wasnt!)...

there is a invitee only lunch happening onboard today.....what id do for a ticket....would love to see the city from the inside of a ship for a change!

I am trying to post another picture which I think is interesting, that was more than your friends flashlights my friend. Those flashlights were from forward to aft. It was awesome.

Actually there was plenty going on in Devonport, the wine and food event starts today, so Devonport was busy, busy. Even after we had coffee and breakfast it was still a long haul out of there. :)

I had lunch on the Statendam last month, neat eh!

DSC01463.jpg.a8036a0998153ecf462dff3d841d7b69.jpg

[ATTACH]37038[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37039[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37040[/ATTACH]

I certainly think Auckland did the board proud., it was a magnificiant send off....an incredible night, a flotilla of hundreds of boats big and small, thousands of people lining wharves docks and vantage points , traffic jams all over the city and to cap it all off an incredible fireworks display. Cunard would have to be pretty happy with the publicity her visit did, the city is talking of nothing else. I dont know when or if we will ever see her again but she will always be welcome! ..so Sydney, you're next....as an exAustralian....make me proud! :D

Thanks for all the great photos of the QM2 in Auckland. It must have been a fabulous sight! The QM2 arrives at Sydney Heads at 6.25 am on Tuesday and docks at 7.15am at Garden Island (too large for the Overseas Terminal). The QE2 arrives about 7pm and will dock at the Overseas Terminal. There will be two other ships in - the Silversea's Silver Cloud and the Van Gogh (don't know that one). There will be fireworks at 8.40pm (probably nothing like New Years Eve, but no doubt great anyway) and at 11pm the QM2 departs. I'm surprised she isn't staying overnight. I watched the QM2 sail in and out of New York. I was in New Jersey and it had the New York skyline behind it - very impressive! I'll probably just watch this on TV but it should be a really memorable day.

heya Down Under....shes certainly a great site...I wish I was in Sydney for it. Your harbour is almost as great as ours (joke) to show off such a grand ship.... Think you could manage a couple of pics for us? You will be more amazed to see her in your own harbour than on tv......think of it as your mission for us! I have the web cam for sydney harbour but a personalised pic would be better...

I was on her in 2004....but although you know shes big you dont get the sense of scale till you see her move off.

Fingers crossed for some great Sydney weather....

Thanks for the pics everyone. I've been watching both Queens on their world journeys this year through their websites. New Zealand has a particular meaning to me at this time because our office has a New Zealander working for us through an exchange program. Now I can say I saw a bit of their home country through the eyes of both ships - apparently the QE2 was just there earlier.

Penny, this can only serve to get you up in a frenzy for your second encounter with the big ship later this year.

I agree Roscoe39! You don't get a sense of the scale of the QM2 until you actually see her in person and then its Whoa! The first day we tendered and were returning back to her out in sea I was astounded at how truly big she was.

David

No. I really won't comment.......;)

Matthew

Well, we had the best of entries into Auckland! What a welcome! Equal to San Francisco welcome in the best of comparisons.

The Fireworks on departure from Auckland were beyond my expectations. In that, they exceeded the departure from San Francisco in glamor. Still, we feel fortunate to have witnessed both from the QM2. There was talk in San Fran from the residents saying that they hoped the city would expand the Passenger Terminal. They are the ones that can get it done through the city channels.

As for the docking scenario: Wharfs and piers all over the world have to be enlarged because QM2 is not the only behemoth out there. San Francisco as well as Auckland have got to accomodate these vessels or be left with bridge cam scenes of working waterfronts. Is that so bad? Cunard could be a little more proactive in giving a few more cam views from other areas such as the stern. A good view was had from there. We liked it!:)

So, we are progressing toward Sidney tonight, and it looks like a real Auz Blowout for the welcome that we are going to get. We are going to be lined on the decks and balconies, enjoying the Spectacle for all it's worth! :cool:

Living Large and Live from QM2.................Kurt

youre welcome kurt,,,its great to know you noticed the city had turned out for you!!! thanks for coming and make sure you come again. We following you right out in to the harbour and could hear the band...it looked like a great night for you as well..... have fun in Sydney...

why....whatd i say...?????

You mentioned QM2's size ... which is a bit of a problem for some old Lizzie fans on this board who have a complex about it :eek:

Who would have thought QM2's reception around the world would have been so enthusiastic - amazing pictures :D .... That isn't going down too well in certain quarters either ..... can't wait for the reactions to QV's reception next year ;)

Hi Roscoe39: You've certainly made me really think about making the effort to see the QM2 arrive but the traffic and parking will be horrendous! It's a pity the QE2 isn't coming in earlier as I'd been thinking of getting the Manly ferry from Circular Quay and back during the day. I think everyone in Sydney will have the same idea, especially at night once the QE2 arrives! Unfortunately, my photographic and computer skills are zilch but should I manage to take somethine worthwhile and can find someone to show me how to put it on the board, I'll happily do so for you. Hopefully, there's someone else out there who can do it for you.

Kurt: Hope your welcome to Sydney is everything you hope it to be! It's a shame you won't be berthed at the Overseas Terminal because it's a fantastic position, but hopefully your view from Garden Island will still be good. We had an early fog here this morning, so here's hoping all will be OK tomorrow.

You mentioned QM2's size ... which is a bit of a problem for some old Lizzie fans on this board who have a complex about it :eek:

Who would have thought QM2's reception around the world would have been so enthusiastic - amazing pictures :D .... That isn't going down too well in certain quarters either ..... can't wait for the reactions to QV's reception next year ;)

Hey...dont me me wrong... Im a BIG fan for the QE2....and I turn out for her too....I only mentioned the QM2s size as a statement of fact...not as a derisory comment against the QE2... The QM2 is a big mother....and she was tooooo big for the normal pier... And not just for Auckland, I notice that she is too big for a lot of the smaller ports like us at the moment.

Perhaps that will change as the newer and bigger ships start coming down here, we need some more access to our harbour and a nice big new terminal would be a start.

Big or small.....as long as they are floating ABOVE the water I love them all.

I cant wait for the welcome of the Queen Victoria either., Im sure she'll get a big welcome as well..... now if I could only work out a way to getting on her earlier than Singapore and be waving from the other side for a change.:D

Heya Down Under..... at least youve got a decent public transport system!!! Most of my friends are planning to hop on the train and get right off at the Quay.. they;ll have a great view from the minute they exit the station all the way walking around Mrs Macquaries Chair, to the cafes at wollomoloo

...what Id give to do the same!..

I dont know if anyone else is interested.....but here is one ot my links to Sydney Webcams....

http://www.123cam.com/Australasia%20Webcam/Australia%20Webcam.html

the list is pretty extensive....I used to use the traffic ones to check getting around the city.

Archived