Aft Rooms

RCLFan

Bonnie Voyager,

I booked JS 1706 on the Freedom (Me, DH and 3 Year old) across are our other 2 children and a friend in inside. Would you happen to know if these aft JS are smaller than the side JS. They do look thinner to me on the deck plans, and RC told me they were all the same size and actually a little larger. I would like more info on these Aft JS on Freedom. Any input would be appreciated. :)

We had aft cabin 6388 and it was terrible.You can only see the water way out past the deck in front of the balcony, large balcony but obstructed view by the deck and the overhead structures. We like to keep our drapes open at night but that is impossible as a spotlight on deck 5 is left on all night. You can't enjoy the balcony at night since you can't see or hear the water. Long walk to the elevators.I have written to RCI stating these cabins should be listed as obstructed view. We love aft but never again ondeck 6 on the Mariner.

Bonnie, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about the aft cabins. Hoping you may be able to help us with a couple of things we are curious about. Do the aft cabins on deck 7 have the porthole window? And since we are some of the people that need to sleep with a fan on, do you get ocean noise by leaving the balcony door open (just a little!)?

Thanks!

The only aft cabins with the porthole windows are 9390 and 9690. On deck 7 the 2 aft corner balconies (7388/7688) have a huge porthole in the metal structure at the side of their balcony but it's not in the cabin.

Bonnie Voyager,

I booked JS 1706 on the Freedom (Me, DH and 3 Year old) across are our other 2 children and a friend in inside. Would you happen to know if these aft JS are smaller than the side JS. They do look thinner to me on the deck plans, and RC told me they were all the same size and actually a little larger. I would like more info on these Aft JS on Freedom. Any input would be appreciated. :)

I haven't sailed on Freedom yet (I'll be there 5 weeks from today in cabin 1700) but on Voyager-class ships the aft deck 10 cabins are larger than the side cabins of the same category. They are about 4 feet longer but the same width as far as I could tell. They are very roomy. You will be fine.

We had aft cabin 6388 and it was terrible.You can only see the water way out past the deck in front of the balcony, large balcony but obstructed view by the deck and the overhead structures. We like to keep our drapes open at night but that is impossible as a spotlight on deck 5 is left on all night. You can't enjoy the balcony at night since you can't see or hear the water. Long walk to the elevators.I have written to RCI stating these cabins should be listed as obstructed view. We love aft but never again ondeck 6 on the Mariner.

I agree! Deck 6 aft on Voyager-class ships is definitely obstructed and should be categorized as such. Not everyone has found Cruise Critics yets and many unsuspecting folks end up in those aft cabins expecting something amazing. It can be quite a disappointment if you weren't aware what you were getting and could have gotten something better for the same price!

• 2 months later...
BonnieVoyager---1688 opened up so we are in!!! Thanks so much

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it as much as I always have :D !

FYI for anyone sailing on Freedom, cabins 1700/1400 are exactly the same as 1688/1388 except there is one extra support beam on the balcony. It did not hinder our enjoyment in any way though. We just had to arrange the furniture a bit differently to avoid the beam. I'd book it again in a heartbeat!

• 3 weeks later...

Help!

I have 1688 booked and now more family is joining us and we have an opportunity to grab 2 side by side JS cabins on deck 7....I have heard horror stories about deck 6 views, but how bad is deck 7 aft? I loved my trip in an aft corner on Vision...I know, I know..apples and oranges, I realize the ships are different, but are deck 10 and deck 7 on the Mariner that much different? I just want some sun, and if I am sitting I hope to NOT see the "grey area"....feedback, please Bonnie!

Help!

I have 1688 booked and now more family is joining us and we have an opportunity to grab 2 side by side JS cabins on deck 7....I have heard horror stories about deck 6 views, but how bad is deck 7 aft? I loved my trip in an aft corner on Vision...I know, I know..apples and oranges, I realize the ships are different, but are deck 10 and deck 7 on the Mariner that much different? I just want some sun, and if I am sitting I hope to NOT see the "grey area"....feedback, please Bonnie!

While it would be nice to be beside your family, I would HATE to give up 1688 to move to deck 7 myself. I will admit however that I DID recently give up my deck 10 corner/aft cabin on Liberty of the Seas to be beside our best friends, but we only moved down one deck (Deck 9) and we gave our friends the corner/aft cabin as I think it is sunnier and we prefer some shade, so we are one cabin in from the corner on deck 9. Much smaller cabin but still a great balcony with a great view and our best friends are right beside us. (I would have just moved them up a deck but that would have COST them a few big bucks but moving us down SAVED us money and we are all still happy with our cabin selections). But, back to your dilemma...tough call! Are there any cabins near 1688 available for your family? If so I'd put them there and let them enjoy your balcony when you all want to get-together! Whatever you do, it will be terrific though! There is really no right or wrong answer here. What does your family want you to do?

Oh, I forgot to answer the elevator question...NO! It is not located nearby at all! It is quite a long walk. There are no aft elevators or stairs on Voyager-class ships. You have to walk almost to mid-ship. But, we really enjoy the walk ourselves! It helps combat the extra calories we consume during the week! My favorite cabin so far on any ship is deck 10 aft/corner on Voyager-class and Freedom-class ships!

Bonnie,

You are just the person I have been hoping to speak with! We just booked JS 1694 Deck 10 on the Mariner. I am unsure of obstruction and how far is "far" in order to get to elevators. I have looked at your website as well as others and have a good amt of info. Not enough for me to give up an aft JS;) . Just need a bit more encouragement that I made a good choice in switching from a midship deck 9 JS. Can you give an idea of how far it actually is from the elevators? Also, how far to get to and from where you get on/off ship from ports (not sure if that place has a name). If you were at the pool and you forgot suntan lotion, would you dred having to go back to the room from the pool area and buy more suntan lotion in the gift shop instead? :D Love all your pictures and you always offer great advice. TIA

These are aft JS's that adjoin to other cabins. Do you lose anything with the adjoining door? i.e., do you still have the wooden shelf and second set of cabinets that extend the entire length of the TV wall and is your couch the same size as a non-adjoining JS?

Thanks!

These are aft JS's that adjoin to other cabins. Do you lose anything with the adjoining door? i.e., do you still have the wooden shelf and second set of cabinets that extend the entire length of the TV wall and is your couch the same size as a non-adjoining JS?

Not 100% sure about the afts. But most ajoining JS's on Voyager Class lose the walk-in closet.

I was on the Explorer JS Aft 1394 and we had a walk in closet and in addition the cabin also had seperate closet with shelves next to the vanity/desk.

The walk did not bother us at all. We loved the location

Is this what the TV wall looked like in 1394? This is a picture of 6692, a non-adjoining aft JS on the Explorer.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2680531960100517148NHufQy

This is a picture of 1394 from Bonnie's webshots and it shows no tall cabinet at the end of the TV wall. I can't be sure if this is 1394 on the Explorer or another Voyager class ship.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1064698854036355651qREJjc

I'm trying to confirm where the adjoining door is in 1394 on the Explorer and if you lose any furniture because of it. Thanks.

I was on the Explorer JS Aft 1394 and we had a walk in closet and in addition the cabin also had seperate closet with shelves next to the vanity/desk.

The walk did not bother us at all. We loved the location

We just got off the Mariner yesterday and had 1688, what a wonderful cabin. There was plenty of room to move around even when the sofa bed was open for my son. The balcony had 2 tables, 2 chairs and 3 lounge chairs. Yes, the elevators are a walk but we never really noticed how long it was unless we came up on the front elevators and walked all the way back from there. I would book that cabin again in a heartbeat:)

It seems like there are quite a few people on this thread who are knowledgeable about aft cabins on RCCL (especially Bonnie:D ) so I thought someone might be able to help me? :confused: We have 8710 (which is an E1) booked on FOS and I'm interested in getting other people's opinion on this cabin. View? Window size? Size of cabin? I was excited about getting an aft cabin but after searching some of the threads on here, it seems sometimes the side balconies might actually be better. Opinions anyone???

Hi Bonnie Voyager, We are doing a B2B on Liberty of the Seas March 2008 and wanted to keep the same cabin for both weeks. Our TA booked us in an aft cabin deck 8. Will it be the same as the voyager class ships? Does it only have a single door? Thanks in advance.

M-J

Bonnie' date='

You are just the person I have been hoping to speak with! We just booked JS 1694 Deck 10 on the Mariner. I am unsure of obstruction and how far is "far" in order to get to elevators. I have looked at your website as well as others and have a good amt of info. Not enough for me to give up an aft JS;) . Just need a bit more encouragement that I made a good choice in switching from a midship deck 9 JS. Can you give an idea of how far it actually is from the elevators? Also, how far to get to and from where you get on/off ship from ports (not sure if that place has a name). If you were at the pool and you forgot suntan lotion, would you dred having to go back to the room from the pool area and buy more suntan lotion in the gift shop instead? :D Love all your pictures and you always offer great advice. TIA[/quote']

4Cruisin--I'm obviously not Bonnie, but until she arrives I thought I would cut in. We just had 1694 on Voyager back in November. The only obstruction that some might talk about in this particular cabin is the ship's aft superstructure. That is, some of us aren't bothered by it at all and enjoy the shade. Others aren't as fond. Nothing inside the cabin at all. 100 yards from elevators to the aft hallway that runs side-to-side where the cabins are. As for the gangway for getting off the ship, you're going to be taking an elevator ride and going whichever end of the ship they tell you. That wouldn't be a fun walk, although we did do this once because of not wanting to wait for an elevator. These 10th deck aft rooms are pretty convenient to one end of the pool deck. It's literally up or down 2 flights of stairs. Depends on where in the pool deck you find yourself. I won't kid you--these are big ships. But, we never found ourselves sweating it. I make several trips back and forth a day, and count it as part of my fitness. For our walking on the track each morning and for breakfast at the Windjammer/dinner at Chops or Portofino, it's extremely convenient. Now, I'm sure Bonnie will be back by anytime and may have other thoughts. She's the cleanup hitter around here!

Thanks!

Not sure what we really missed. The adjoining door wasn't along the cabinetry wall. It was opposite of that. Maybe some sofa length, although I'm remembering a full length sofa I think. Below are thumbnails for an interior shot and a balcony picture. Huge spaces.

2317247490039822749pUhaqG_th.jpg2903563290039822749LYvzOb_th.jpg

Is this what the TV wall looked like in 1394? This is a picture of 6692, a non-adjoining aft JS on the Explorer.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2680531960100517148NHufQy

This is a picture of 1394 from Bonnie's webshots and it shows no tall cabinet at the end of the TV wall. I can't be sure if this is 1394 on the Explorer or another Voyager class ship.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1064698854036355651qREJjc

I'm trying to confirm where the adjoining door is in 1394 on the Explorer and if you lose any furniture because of it. Thanks.

The pictures that you posted show the opposite end. I am going to look through my cabin photos to see if I have a photo that will best answer your question.

Okay photo 1 is a picture of the bed - the adjoining door is located there - you can see we had it open.

photo 2 is a picture of the entry door, the walk in closet and the cabinet with shelves. The bathroom is to the left as you enter the room - the walkin closet to the right. Sorry the photo is not in the correct position!

photo 3 is a picture of the cabinet open to show the shelves

Click on the photos to view larger

Hope this helps!

1970739968_cruise2007053.jpg.a2622b093d461c30be11a6865b557a58.jpg

1073021929_cruise2007055.jpg.b361997ed8a639b4d2ef07d2f27e8e0b.jpg

652649451_cruise2007182.jpg.0832cd29eccd1c5679b496be02196d81.jpg

Bonnie' date='

You are just the person I have been hoping to speak with! We just booked JS 1694 Deck 10 on the Mariner. I am unsure of obstruction and how far is "far" in order to get to elevators. I have looked at your website as well as others and have a good amt of info. Not enough for me to give up an aft JS;) . Just need a bit more encouragement that I made a good choice in switching from a midship deck 9 JS. Can you give an idea of how far it actually is from the elevators? Also, how far to get to and from where you get on/off ship from ports (not sure if that place has a name). If you were at the pool and you forgot suntan lotion, would you dred having to go back to the room from the pool area and buy more suntan lotion in the gift shop instead? :D Love all your pictures and you always offer great advice. TIA[/quote']

Unless a person has mobility issues, there is no reason that they would have any problem with the walk from 1694 to the aft stairs/elevators. Now, just being plain old lazy is another thing. ;) If you don't like to walk then don't book an aft cabin! :eek: I would be lying if I said I never thought twice before returning to my cabin just to pick up some little notion that I have forgotten. Sometimes I do choose to just do without whatever it was. But would I give up my aft cabin because of this? Heck no! I like to relax when on a cruise just like anyone else, but I also LOVE to walk, so being aft is more of a treat for me versus a deterant. I get to walk AND I get that amazing view off the aft balcony! I don't select the aft cabins because of size. I select it because of the view of the wake. There is nothing quite as amazing as all the shades of blue that are churned up in the wake of a ship. And at night when the moon is shining down the wake seems to glisten! You won't have that experience from a side balcony! Don't give up your aft! :D

Hi Bonnie Voyager, We are doing a B2B on Liberty of the Seas March 2008 and wanted to keep the same cabin for both weeks. Our TA booked us in an aft cabin deck 8. Will it be the same as the voyager class ships? Does it only have a single door? Thanks in advance.

M-J

Yes, Liberty's aft cabins are pretty much the same as on Voyager-class ships. Which aft cabin on deck 8 do you have? Only the corner cabins on deck 8 and 9 have the single doors. The rest of them have the double slider.

It seems like there are quite a few people on this thread who are knowledgeable about aft cabins on RCCL (especially Bonnie:D ) so I thought someone might be able to help me? :confused: We have 8710 (which is an E1) booked on FOS and I'm interested in getting other people's opinion on this cabin. View? Window size? Size of cabin? I was excited about getting an aft cabin but after searching some of the threads on here, it seems sometimes the side balconies might actually be better. Opinions anyone???

8710 doesn't have a window. It has a single glass door but still gets indirect sun in the cabin. The cabin itself is the same as any other cabin of the same category. The balcony is pretty large (not as large as some other aft balconies but still much larger than a side balcony). It is a predominantly sunny balcony. The view is awesome and unobstructed. I would definitely take this over a side cabin if I like sun on my balcony. If you prefer a shady balcony (like myself) then this would not be the best choice for you.

Archived