Aft Rooms

RCLFan

8710 doesn't have a window. It has a single glass door but still gets indirect sun in the cabin. The cabin itself is the same as any other cabin of the same category. The balcony is pretty large (not as large as some other aft balconies but still much larger than a side balcony). It is a predominantly sunny balcony. The view is awesome and unobstructed. I would definitely take this over a side cabin if I like sun on my balcony. If you prefer a shady balcony (like myself) then this would not be the best choice for you.

Thanks Bonnie!:D I definitely like the sun so that's not a problem. The issues I read people complaining about were possible obstruction on a corner aft, as well as not liking the single glass door versus the double. When I was looking at the deck plans, I couldn't figure out what would be obstructing the corner aft? And right now there are no other aft cabins available on our ship that will accomodate 3 people - I could move to deck 9 if I only had 2 people but that won't work for us. So right now I'm leaning towards keeping the aft and just dealing with the single sliding door. :D Does having a double sliding door make that big of a difference?

Thanks Bonnie!:D I definitely like the sun so that's not a problem. The issues I read people complaining about were possible obstruction on a corner aft, as well as not liking the single glass door versus the double. When I was looking at the deck plans, I couldn't figure out what would be obstructing the corner aft? And right now there are no other aft cabins available on our ship that will accomodate 3 people - I could move to deck 9 if I only had 2 people but that won't work for us. So right now I'm leaning towards keeping the aft and just dealing with the single sliding door. :D Does having a double sliding door make that big of a difference?

There is no obstruction on the corner balcony of deck 8 or 9. Also, deck 8 aft/corner balcony is actually a little bit larger than deck 9's aft/corner balcony. Deck 9's aft/corner cabin has the same single door as deck 8 aft/corner cabin but in addition it has a nice porthole window in the cabin. Otherwise, it is the same as deck 8 corner/aft cabin. If you like sunshine, there is really no reason to worry yourself about getting another aft cabin unless you upgrade to a category D1 and select my favorite location on deck 10 aft/corner! :D

If you like sunshine, there is really no reason to worry yourself about getting another aft cabin unless you upgrade to a category D1 and select my favorite location on deck 10 aft/corner! :D

I've been trying for a corner aft on 10 all along, lol - but no aft balconies on 10 were available at all when I booked. I keep cheking online each day to see if anything has opened up and I'm sure I'll try to snag it if it does - until then I'll be happy with what I have.

Although, why do I have a feeling that after having an aft balcony, I'll never want to go back to a side again?:eek: :D

Yes, Liberty's aft cabins are pretty much the same as on Voyager-class ships. Which aft cabin on deck 8 do you have? Only the corner cabins on deck 8 and 9 have the single doors. The rest of them have the double slider.

We are cabin 8712 aft on Liberty of the Seas. Unfortunately it is not the corner but because we wanted the same room for both weeks it was all we could get. Hoping it's O.K.

Do you know if this picture of cabin 1394 is from the Explorer? It shows that there is no tall cabinet along the end of the 'tv wall' next to the balcony door. Thanks!

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1064698854036355651qREJjc

Not sure how Bonnie will i.d. the photo, but on Voyager that is what our wall looked like in 1694 right by the balcony door on the tv side. 1694 is directly next door, and is the same cabin mirror-imaged.

While it would be nice to be beside your family, I would HATE to give up 1688 to move to deck 7 myself. I will admit however that I DID recently give up my deck 10 corner/aft cabin on Liberty of the Seas to be beside our best friends, but we only moved down one deck (Deck 9) and we gave our friends the corner/aft cabin as I think it is sunnier and we prefer some shade, so we are one cabin in from the corner on deck 9. Much smaller cabin but still a great balcony with a great view and our best friends are right beside us. (I would have just moved them up a deck but that would have COST them a few big bucks but moving us down SAVED us money and we are all still happy with our cabin selections). But, back to your dilemma...tough call! Are there any cabins near 1688 available for your family? If so I'd put them there and let them enjoy your balcony when you all want to get-together! Whatever you do, it will be terrific though! There is really no right or wrong answer here. What does your family want you to do?

Well, my family is leaving it up to me. I am just concerned whether or not my brother and his wife (and two kids 10 & 7) would have enough room in a regular cabin, or if I should put them into a JS? This is their very first cruise so I want it to be wonderful! I have the cabin right next door to 1688 held right now (1690)...as well as a JS down the hall..1358.

If you had 4 of you, where would you be better off? Maybe I should take 1690 and give them 1688??? Or do you think they should have the bigger closet and bathtub??? I am so confused and need someone to help me make a decision! Wanna make sure they become as addicted as I am!

(And I really don't think I want to be on deck seven, either!)

We are cabin 8712 aft on Liberty of the Seas. Unfortunately it is not the corner but because we wanted the same room for both weeks it was all we could get. Hoping it's O.K.

You should be fine! :D I have not been in that cabin myself but I do know someone who has and they enjoyed it very much and booked the same cabin the next time. They were actually in 8692 on a Voyager-class ship but it should be pretty much the same as 8712 on Liberty.

Well, my family is leaving it up to me. I am just concerned whether or not my brother and his wife (and two kids 10 & 7) would have enough room in a regular cabin, or if I should put them into a JS? This is their very first cruise so I want it to be wonderful! I have the cabin right next door to 1688 held right now (1690)...as well as a JS down the hall..1358.

If you had 4 of you, where would you be better off? Maybe I should take 1690 and give them 1688??? Or do you think they should have the bigger closet and bathtub??? I am so confused and need someone to help me make a decision! Wanna make sure they become as addicted as I am!

(And I really don't think I want to be on deck seven, either!)

Actually, I think the best solution is give them 1690 and you keep 1688. 1690 is a nice large cabin and should be fine for the 4 of them. We had friends in 1690 with 2 twelve-year-old boys and they made out just fine! The benefit of them having 1690 is that it actually has the better balcony out of the two cabins which will be roomier for the 4 of them to sit out at one time. When you get-together with your brother and his wife have them come over to visit you in your cabin. You have the more spacious-feeling cabin in 1688 for entertaining but they will have the more spacious-feeling balcony! It's a win/win for everyone and you are side-by-side! Also, the adults can visit on one balcony while the kids sit on the other and you can still keep an eye on them! The kids will prefer 1690 because their bed will have a clear shot of the TV! In 1688 the TV does not face the sofabed. Of course, they should be too busy to watch TV, but I know kids like to watch TV during their downtime even on cruises! In my opinion, 1688 and 1690 are the 2 best choices on the ship and you've got them both! Go for it and be confident that you've chosen well! Your family will definitely be hooked! They won't miss the walk-in closet or the bathtub if they never knew they could have had them! ;) What they will gain instead is an incredible balcony and great proximaty to family!

You should be fine! :D I have not been in that cabin myself but I do know someone who has and they enjoyed it very much and booked the same cabin the next time. They were actually in 8692 on a Voyager-class ship but it should be pretty much the same as 8712 on Liberty.

Bonnie Voyager, thanks so much for your help! Your positive feedback is very much appreciated!

They won't miss the walk-in closet or the bathtub if they never knew they could have had them! ;)

That is SO true...

Ok...Decision is made thanks to YOU!!!!

Can't wait to try this class of ship.....

Have been looking at other threads and there is alot of talk regarding the soot on aft balconies on the voyager and freedom class ships. Most people say decks 6-9 seem to get the most? Has anyone here experienced that?

We just had 1688 on the Mariner last week and had one day with a lot of soot on our balcony in the morning. We just wiped down the chairs as we had been doing in the mornings anyways, so it really wasn't a problem.

I've had soot problems on the aft of the Spirit and have 9692 booked on the Mariner and hope that's not a big problem.We did just wipe it up but made sure we looked close before setting down with light colored clothes on or we just put our pool towels out.Love the aft view so we'll do whatever.Thanks for the heads up.Steve

We just had 1688 on the Mariner last week and had one day with a lot of soot on our balcony in the morning. We just wiped down the chairs as we had been doing in the mornings anyways, so it really wasn't a problem.

The problem is being out there when it's falling. One evening on Explorer it rained soot on us and you could feel it hitting you.

Archived