It's official

mom x4,grandma x4

They will be TWO decks higher and appear in 2011 and 2012.

This is correct, they will be two decks higher.

While this is great, the one problem with adding so many cabins and not anymore public spaces is that is does get a tad more crowded. Princess has done this with their later grand class ships, The Caribbean and the Crown by adding one deck more of cabins and I can notice the difference. Adding 2 new cabins of nothing but cabins is going to be a noticeable difference.

yes I saw I typed the wrong years and decks but no way to edit it out afterwards. Our news did say 3 decks but afterwards I did read 2 decks as you have pointed out.

sorry about the error, but it is great news anyway!!!!

I agree that with approximately 1500 more people they will need more events around the ship to occupy them so they wont all be in the same place. 3 seatings for show will be a must!!!

mom x4,grandma x4

This is correct, they will be two decks higher.

While this is great, the one problem with adding so many cabins and not anymore public spaces is that is does get a tad more crowded. Princess has done this with their later grand class ships, The Caribbean and the Crown by adding one deck more of cabins and I can notice the difference. Adding 2 new cabins of nothing but cabins is going to be a noticeable difference.

I agree, and with 1500 more people onboard it's going to be very cramped!

You folks are a bunch of pessimists!:eek: Just because they add decks, it doesn't mean that the new decks will be ALL passenger staterooms.

Look at the math:

Old ships 83,000 GRT, new ships are 122,000 GRT. This is a 47% increase in volume.

Old ships 1754 passengers, new ships ~2500 passengers, a ~42% increase.

We're coming out ahead, 42% more passengers and 47% more space.

Great news, I can't wait to book voyage 8 again.

You folks are a bunch of pessimists!:eek: Just because they add decks, it doesn't mean that the new decks will be ALL passenger staterooms.

Look at the math:

Old ships 83,000 GRT, new ships are 122,000 GRT. This is a 47% increase in volume.

Old ships 1754 passengers, new ships ~2500 passengers, a ~42% increase.

We're coming out ahead, 42% more passengers and 47% more space.

Great news, I can't wait to book voyage 8 again.

The new ships will have more passengers than that so unfortunately your math is off.

This is from their website:

The Walt Disney Company announces plans to expand Disney Cruise Line® with two new 4,000-passenger ships. Scheduled to launch in 2011 and 2012, the ships will continue to evoke the classic trans-Atlantic ocean liner look with the exterior color palette borrowed from Mickey Mouse. Two decks taller than the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder, the ships will have 1,250 staterooms each and will more than double the passenger capacity of the fleet.

According to this, the passenger count is more than doubling.

By adding two ships, they are doubling the capacity of the fleet because...well...they're adding two more ships!

Also, until deck plans are released (which won't be for some time) it is impossible to say that there will be no new public spaces simply because we don't know yet. The new ships will be 122,000 GRT, which is far larger than the 83,000 GRT they are now.

Disney hasn't even released exact dimensions of the ships yet either, other than to say that they're Post-Panamax ships, meaning they can't fit through the Panama Canal. This shows that at the very least they have a larger width than the Wonder and Magic, who can fit through the canal, and I would suspect they'll be longer as well.

If it took Disney 7 years to order a newbuild, you can bet they're going to be very cautious and spend a lot of time on designing these new ships to ensure they get it right.

You are correct, I read that incorrectly.

Our local news had just run the information that they were going to be adding 2 more decks of staterooms bringing the total capacity for guests to about 3,000 per new ship.

I think it's great. Hopefully this will make it easier for us all to sail since we'll have more options.

they sound that they are going to be about the size of the grand class ships princess has, I mean the older grand class, the grand, golden, and i think diamond princess ships. I have been on the grand princess several years ago but can tell you I felt very comfortable onboard. I don't know if they need a ship that big on the west coast but we shall see what they decide to do with the boats. I am just excited that they finally got around to adding to the line. I can't wait till my cruise next may.

Archived