Brussels or Bruge?

LILynn

I have been reading a lot about Brussels and Bruge and now I cannot decide where to go the day we are in Belgium. I am going with my mom on the HAL Prinsendam in late September.

Both cities sound great but I can only pick one.

Please let me know what you guys think!

Thanks

Lynn

We stayed in Brussels on a ground trip so were able to see both to compare like Paul. I loved the Grand Place in Brussels, and there were a lot of other lovely areas, but Bruges just can't be beat. It is just wonderful beyond description. We enjoyed the carriage ride as well as the boat ride there and then just walked around.

Have a great trip,

Donna

• 3 weeks later...

As other posters have stated, only the center of Brussels where the City Hall and Flower Market are located is nice. We accidentally missed our turn and drove into several neighborhoods that were downright scary for 2 women in a rental car. We live in NYC so it takes a lot to make us feel unsafe.

Brugge was so much more charming. You can easily see everything at a leisurely pace in 2 days. It has gotten a bit touristy but it's hard to resist all those chocolate shops and pomme frites establishments. We were there a few weeks before Easter and we loved all the window decorations.

My Vote Is For Brugge.

We Loved It

Belgium places to visit

I would recommend to visit following towns in Belgium:

1.Brussels with Maneken/Jenneken Pis, beers, fries,mousils and Atomium

2.Namur in the great fest: Viva Wallonia! (end of August) It really worth to visit - very funny!

3.Brugge in the day of sand figures festival.

best regards

Cathi

http://4.sstadler.z8.ru/index.htm[url=http://4.sstadler.z8.ru/index.htm][/url]

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in September last year and did not find it overrun with tourists. We did not have to wait in line for the carriage ride or for the boat, and the crowds were not bad at all. So I suppose it depends on when you visit and what day of the week. But even if it were wall to wall tourists like Venice, Bruges would definitely be worth it for me.

Donna

We've been to both Brussels and Bruges; twice to Bruges. We enjoyed Bruges as much the 2nd time as the first. We certainly enjoyed Brussels, too, but Bruges is very charming very walkable, even with all the tourists. Bruges is DW's all-time favorite place to visit! Our vote is for Bruges, too!

Yes, to me it does! Bruges is an easy train ride from Antwerp, IIRC, between 60-90 minutes and trains run quite frequently between Antwerp and Bruges. I would hope there is also an ship's excursion to Bruges, too.

If you are docking at Zeebrugge, look at Brugsetaxiservice.com Yes the site is spelled burgse with the s before the e. They will arrange to meet you at the port and drop you off in the middle of Brugge. They will arrange for a time to pick you up and return you to the ship. This is great for people who can not walk distances.

• 2 months later...

We visited Brussels, Brugges, Antwerp and Ghent recently. We loved Brugges, it was charming and while there were lots of people there, it was an ideal "taste of old Europe." That is not to downplay the charms of Antwerp, which was my second favorite. If possible, try to have lunch or dinner at the restaurant called "In the Shadow of the Cathedral," which is especially magical in the evening when you have that wonderful view. Ghent is a university town that was also well preserved and charming. Of all four, I liked Brussels the least, due to it's size, the number of modern buildings, the crowds--it was magnificent but less personal and charming than the others. I do feel that Belgium was one of the nicest and easiest of European countries to visit, for the charm, the historical sights, the ease of visiting (most residents speak impeccable English,) the cuisine, wine and beer. Just a wonderful country--I'd go back in a minute!:)

• 6 months later...

Thanks to all the thoughtful posters to this older thread which I am resurrecting for some further info. What a delight to happen upon this in a "search" for Brussels tonight.

We are beginning to explore possible post-cruise plans ( RT Amsterdam) in June '08 and both Belgium and Iceland came up as an options. We will spend 3 days PRE-cruise in Amsterdam & its surrounds.

Belgium, particularly Bruges, seems well worth further exploration.

Our intention would be to have a driver/car meet us at the ship early AM, drive us to Bruges WITH A STOP in Brussels to see Grand Place area, Royal Museums of Fine Arts & of course, a photo stop at Mannekin-Pis!:). Then proceed to Bruges with an arrival there late afternoon-early evening.

2 nights Bruges. Next day, spend day in Bruges..

3rd day---early am back to airport in Brussels and back home.

Is this doable....and worth our while?

1. IF we can find a driver to meet us at ship in Amsterdam at 8am-can we realistically do that Upper Old Town in Brussels along the way and still get to Bruges by late-aft/early evening? We will NOT do a train, one of us in wheelchair, so we generally use cars w. drivers.

2. What would be your priorities for our next full & only day(walking) in Bruges?

3. Any ideas of a hotel that would be well-located, comfortable, & within walking distance to enjoy a good part of Bruges?

4. What is distance from Bruges to airport (Brussels)?

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences appreciated.

Martha

The website http://www.trabel.com answered many of my above questions. It's a beautiful website with excellent descriptions of the major towns in Belgium.

Our tour guide from Amsterdam, Senior Holland Travel, will collect us at the ship in Amsterdam and we will stop in Antwerp & Brussels before drop-off at hotel in Bruges in the evening. It'll be a 12 hour day. The following day we will spend on our own walking in Bruges.

The Brussels airport is 1.5 hr from Bruges.

What is the correct spelling for Bruges? I see Bruge, Brugge & Bruges. :)

II am trying to remember driving time from Amsterdam to Brussels. If I recall right it is about 4 hrs or so, but I could be wrong. We went by train which is much faster. I think the stop at the museum would take to much time to make it out of town before all the commuters go home.

Do keep in mind that the freeways in Belgium have a lot of traffic jams early morning and around 5pm.

I remember when I lived there we always had to leave Antwerp very early to drive to the airport to get ahead of the traffic jams.

As far as Brugge, if you go to the center of town you can just wander around, it is all beautiful. A ride in a carriage or canal tour would be great if that is not to much for the person in the wheelchair. Keep in mind also that there are a lot of cobble stone streets. You will love it there though!

OH, just saw you found the info already.

BTW, Brugge is the Flemish spelling. Correct for the region you are in. Bruges is the French spelling.

Priorities for a day walking in Bruges? I would suggest you take the half-hour boat trip round the canals if you are able. Try a hot chocolate - the best shop for this is in Maria Strasse, next to the Notre Dame Hotel (it involves a bowl of hot milk, a chocolate cup full of cream that floats on the milk and slowly melts and Belgian chocolate buttons stirred into the mix!) Don't miss the beautiful Michaelangelo statue of the madonna and child in the church of Santa Maria. Try a Belgian beer and buy some of the superb lace and chocolates. There are also two excellent Christmas shops selling lovely wooden Bavarian Christmas ornaments.

Archived