Brussels or Bruge?

LILynn

Hi,

I'm a belgian tour guide and I know very well both cities.

Bruges is a highly touristy "walking" city with lots of ancient buildings, cobbles stones streets and gift shops.

From Zeebruges it takes only 30 minutes to Bruges, while it takes a minimum of 1 hour 15 by car from Zeebruges.

Brussels is a monumental city with lots of imposing palaces, monuments, shopping arcades, green parcs and gardens, cathedral and churches and a breath taking market place. You can drive around easily if your mom does not wish to walk long distances.

You could actually do both Bruges and Brussels if you hire a private driver guide (impossible by train) and if you focus on highlights in both cities.

Whatever you decide don't forget to try the Brussels waffles, the speculos biscuits and the famous fresh chocolates.

Please feel free to contact me should you have more questions and enjoy Belgium !!

Joyce

Hi, Joyce --

Recall that we are booked to tour Bruges with you on 25 July, Friday:

Of course, I am still refining a wish list for our itinerary:

BTW -- The city's official web site is:

• 6 months later...

Maybe it is just because I live in Antwerp.... Brugge is beautiful BUT

It is a long drive from Antwerp, about 1.5 hours each way.

Why not walk out of the gangway and see the cathedral and the grand market (grote markt) and the Rubensmuseum. Also excellent for shopping (meir). No problems finding belgian chocolate pralines (leonidas) and belgian beer. All within walking distance.

If you really want to go to Brugge you can always take the train, check schedule on http://www.nmbs.be , "antwerpen centraal to brugge"

Wendy

We were on the Prinsendam a year ago and stopped at Brugge. Unfortunately the weather was cloudy and of course when we made it to town after the short rail trip, it started to rain. And then pour. And oh I was so disappointed that we just had to cut our visit short as we were just about soaked and that was with an umbrella. It is a lovely town, so historical and so pretty (even in the rain). Don't miss it. I think the Prinsendam had a free shuttle to the rail station, or a very small fare.

Hi, Joyce --

Recall that we are booked to tour Bruges with you on 25 July, Friday:

Of course, I am still refining a wish list for our itinerary:

BTW -- The city's official web site is:

I would be interested to hear from you about your tour as our ship the Grand Princess stops at Zeebrogue (8am-6pm) and I am looking into what to do for that day.

• 5 months later...
Priorities for a day walking in Bruges? I would suggest you take the half-hour boat trip round the canals if you are able. Try a hot chocolate - the best shop for this is in Maria Strasse, next to the Notre Dame Hotel (it involves a bowl of hot milk, a chocolate cup full of cream that floats on the milk and slowly melts and Belgian chocolate buttons stirred into the mix!) Don't miss the beautiful Michaelangelo statue of the madonna and child in the church of Santa Maria. Try a Belgian beer and buy some of the superb lace and chocolates. There are also two excellent Christmas shops selling lovely wooden Bavarian Christmas ornaments.

Hello!

We are on a river boat cruise in April and I was torn between these two. This is copied the detailed itineray from AMA's site.

ANTWERP, BELGIUM

This morning, enjoy a guided sightseeing tour of Antwerp, one of the world's most important ancient seaports. See the Grote Market with its beautiful city hall and the Church of Our Lady, and admire the city's superb architecture. The afternoon is free to explore Antwerp on your own or take an optional excursion to nearby Brussels. After dinner, your cruise departs for Ghent.

DAY 6, GHENT

After breakfast take a guided sightseeing tour of Ghent, the fourth largest city of Belgium. This city is the diamond of Flanders, preserving its medieval charm while remaining current with the times. Modern architecture blends with remnants of the past. Take the time to visit “Castle of the Counts” a real medieval castle in the center of town. The afternoon is yours to explore Ghent at leisure or to take an optional excursion to Brugges, which is one of Europe's most perfectly preserved medieval cities. Brugge’s historical city center is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

From your suggestions..I want to do them all! And now I really can't wait to get there.

So my question is: I should probably go on both excursions?

Thanks for your help!! I really can't wait now!!:)

• 3 weeks later...

:o You must of course see the movie "In Bruges" before going (unless you are sensitive to rough language) because it is wonderfully filmed and shows the city off beautifully (of course the film itself is quite dark in its humor, but you gotta love Colin Farrell).

Beth

We visited Brussels, Brugges, Antwerp and Ghent recently. We loved Brugges, it was charming and while there were lots of people there, it was an ideal "taste of old Europe." That is not to downplay the charms of Antwerp, which was my second favorite. If possible, try to have lunch or dinner at the restaurant called "In the Shadow of the Cathedral," which is especially magical in the evening when you have that wonderful view. Ghent is a university town that was also well preserved and charming. Of all four, I liked Brussels the least, due to it's size, the number of modern buildings, the crowds--it was magnificent but less personal and charming than the others. I do feel that Belgium was one of the nicest and easiest of European countries to visit, for the charm, the historical sights, the ease of visiting (most residents speak impeccable English,) the cuisine, wine and beer. Just a wonderful country--I'd go back in a minute!:)

Would it be possible to see Antwerp and Brugge in one day? We'll be docked from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. I know we'll be rushed, but do you think it is doable?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the video. Did you do the tour of the city on your own.

We pre-arranged transportation from brugsetaxiservice@brugge.com from the port of Zeebruges and then toured the city of Bruges on our own. You don't need a guided tour. The city is small enough to eaisly walk around and tour yourself. Make sure you do the canal boat ride.

Ron

Archived