Rockwall Question!

AZDCruiser

I wanted to do the rockwall on my last two RCI cruises, but did not for fear I could not do it.

Well, I've decided our Mariner trip is going to be the one -- I want to look out over the ocean from 13+ floors up!

But...I'm worried I'm not strong enough. Has anyone else done it and is it really tough?

I have a gym membership and am committed to "training" for this rockwall! I'm doing this thing!

What muscles need to be worked to be the strongest? Back? Shoulders? Biceps? Or the entire upper body?

It's not that hard but I think in general, folks find it's harder on their arms than their legs. It's also a little hard on your hands from gripping so hard. Some cities (including our not-so-large city) have rock walls you can go climb for a few hours. They may have this in Atlanta...

Hi there!

I took a rock climbing class in college and it is so much fun! I am not an expert, but I do know the basics. The most common misconception about rock climbing is that you need to have really strong arms. This is not true! Here are some tips that will get you up that wall!

-use your arms only for balance and keeping your body agaist that wall. Too many people tire themselves out quickly by using their arms to pull themselves up.

-the muscles in your legs are the largest muscles in your body so this is where you what you want to use when climbing.

-When you're making your way up the wall, step onto a foot hold (your knee is bent at this point). Look up to where you can reach your arms next and simply straighten your leg to push yourself up. Make sense?

-Make sure you listen to your balayers (the people assisting with the ropes) because if you are having a hard time finding where to put your foot or hand next, they can help. Sometimes its easier to see those things when down on the ground.

-There are usually different degrees of difficulty for the different routes up the wall. Just make sure to ask which ones the easiest if you're unsure.

I hope that helps a little. I will be on my first cruise in April and can't wait to try out the wall. Good luck!

I have been up Explorer's wall six times, Mariner's wall six times and Serenade's wall three times. Obviously I enjoy it and I have a blast. I like trying the different routes.

My advice is don't worry about it and just try it. Even if you don't make it to the top at least you tried. The key is to push yourself up with your legs not to pull yourself up with your arms. If you do reach the top make sure you take a bit of time up there to take a good look around out to sea and don't forget to look down at the ship. The views are awesome from up there.

I'm 40 and in OK shape, (not a regular at a fitness club) and I was able to climb to the top. I'm afraid of heights, so that was my biggest problem. I wanted to stop 3/4 of the way up, but the balayers kept cheering me on, and I finally made it. I was so happy I tried it.

Both my wife and I made it to the top when we were on Radiance this month. I am certainly not in the best shape of my life (40 is getting awfully close) but I wasn't too concerned after I watched a few others do it. My wife isn't very strong at all but she had no problem....it really isn't that difficult.

Im over 50 and not in the best shape, but wanted to try it even if I cant go up very far. Im not afraid of heights that I know of, but wouldnt want to fall.

I was looking forward to trying it to be honest. I didnt realize it would be that hard the way you all are describing. wow.

I did the rockclimbing wall on the Rhapsody with a LOT of help from the bayoner. :) I'm NOT in shape and would definitely not have made it up without the assistance. When I got down my arms were spaghetti - I have never had that kind of muscle exhaustion before!! :) But I got to the top and rang that dang bell! So in my opinion, work those arms and have fun!

• 7 years later...

I've done it twice...made it to the top once & I was in my mid-50's and for sure not in shape!! It was awesome! I was more worried about rappeling down than I was going up...but that was no problem either...I'm 63 now & may give it another try in Dec...:D

Im over 50 and not in the best shape, but wanted to try it even if I cant go up very far. Im not afraid of heights that I know of, but wouldnt want to fall.

I was looking forward to trying it to be honest. I didnt realize it would be that hard the way you all are describing. wow.

It is hard, but try it, if you give up, they let you down easy.

Wow, I wonder how it turned out? :D;) This may be the biggest thread bump I've ever seen, 7 1/2 years. :)

Actually I booked one of the new aft GS suites for August and someone had brought up how close the rockwall climbers would be to those aft balconies. Knowing how some folks on this site get about duplicate threads I wanted to cover my bases. Pretty good, huh ?

Wow, I wonder how it turned out? :D;) This may be the biggest thread bump I've ever seen, 7 1/2 years. :)

Sheesh...you'd think after all this time I would learn to look at the dates on these threads....:rolleyes: