New Cruiseships thru 2007

theawesome1

Caribbean Princess 2 ??? Looks like Princess is running out of names! :D

Pride of Hawaii Interesting... Will "Pride of Aloha" still sail there? :confused:

Ultra Voyager 1 (3600 PAX) I'd hate to go to the "tender" ports on this ship. :eek:

Carnival Liberty Will be the first Carnival ship sailing in Europe.

What is scary is that Celebrity will not have any builts in the process thru 2007. That will make the C class 8-10 years old, which is an older ship by today's standards....... is Celebrity eventually to be absorbed into the RCI line up of ships, without being their own line. In the past couple of years RCI has built several Radiance class, Voyager class and now building the Ultra Voyager class ships for the Royal line-up and really nothing for the Celebrity line.....the M-class was in the building stages before RCI bought Celebrity

What I laugh at is the way Carnival has to outdo everyone. Word came out in the media about the Ultra Voyager at over 150,000 gr tons & Carnival had to put an order in for one at 160,000 gr tons. Not sure if it is being built at the same place.........

I emailed Raoul who told us Zenith & Horizon were to be renovated (is that the word) to include balconies for Bermuda. I included its schedule that shows on 2 weeks off asking if that is drydock time. I also asked Victoria who sent me an email today asking if I got the ship/shirt, a new item for sale, if 10 year old ships are a big sale in today's market or if it is time for new ones that folks want. I included the web stie address on the newbuilts thru 2007 & no "X".

It could have been a language problem, but the Chief Engineer of the Summit told me at dinner that RCI has one at over 180,000 tons under consideration. I guess you just glue to M class ships together and you have one.

John

Maybe it's just me but I perfectly fine with sizes of Celebrity ships.:)

And I haven't even sailed M class yet. When I am on the cruise ship I like to relax by the pool, watch ocean go by, eat in the nice restaurant etc.

I honestly don't need ice rink, maybe because I am from NE and we have enough of ice during winter time? I don't remember Caribbean or Mexican resorts having ice rinks or rock climbing walls.

IMHO X ships aren't old, even H class. 10-12 years old ships aren't old by my standards.

I also noticed that luxury lines like Silver Seas, Radisson, Seabourn or even ResidenSea are not in a hurry to build 150,000+ tons ships. Good things come in small packages, I guess.

Smaller ships are also have more choices of the ports too as they don't require much of a space to dock.

Don't forget MSC has 2...90,000 ton ships on the drawing boards. MSC under Rick Sasso is going to be the company to watch. It was Rick who, as president of Celebrity in the 1990s, gave you the M class ships and the specialty dining options.

Look for MSC to start some new innovations in the premium cruise business. Right now they are bouncing around some great plans to make them the most sought after premium cruise line in North America. Heads up Celebrity.

ROSS

HI TATKA!!!

You are going to love the M class ships of X.

ROSS

Don't forget MSC has 2...90,000 ton ships on the drawing boards. MSC under Rick Sasso is going to be the company to watch. It was Rick who, as president of Celebrity in the 1990s, gave you the M class ships and the specialty dining options.

Look for MSC to start some new innovations in the premium cruise business. Right now they are bouncing around some great plans to make them the most sought after premium cruise line in North America. Heads up Celebrity.

ROSS

HI TATKA!!!

You are going to love the M class ships of X.

ROSS

Hi Ross !

You may be right about MSC. I know that there is not very much known about MSC yet, other than the Sasso connection..... but they just might catch a BIG Break.

Celebrity, (IMHO) has very unwisely decided to remove many sailings from South FL next Winter. As we already know, MSC plans to put their new ships in Ft Lauderdale. I wouldnt be surprised if they picked up some of Celebrity's vacated pier slots.

With that said, if MSC can put together a great experience and with excellent ships, it may be possible for them to steal away many of Celebrity's loyal customers, who will have much less options from South Florida next year.

This is yet another reason why I feel Celebrity is making a huge timing mistake. Perhaps they will be opening the doors for MSC to take advantage of Celebrity's reduction at the FL ports.

Of course, this is all speculation. Time will tell.... but I still think Celebrity picked the wrong time to make such a radical schedule change, especially when all seemed to be going so well.

Regards,

Andy

I'm tired, tired, tired, of new ships. Enough already. The industry has created a cruise public that are like kids expecting new toys all of the time no longer being satisfied with their older toys. I think it is ridiculous. The Century, Galaxy, and Mercury are far more imaginative and interesting and varied as ships than the Millennium ships and are fine ships. What's needed are imaginative solutions to challenges facing keeping repeat cruisers interested and keeping line's profitable. Not just more and more bigger ships out in series. What gets me is that most of them aren't new. They are based on something existing and then the cruise lines make 5 versions of the same thing.

Revenue-wise, removing ships from the Caribbean is a good idea. 7-night sailings out of FL are strictly price-driven. Selling longer itineraries reduces your shoreside operating expenses.. and the Hawaii run commands higher per diems than the Caribbean. Good news for Celebrity's bottomline,, bad news for the passengers' bottomlines.

We shall see what happens with MSC. They have a lot of ground to cover. Lucky for them, they have Rick at the helm!!

Andy, my Dad and his lady friend went on an MSC earlier this year...they are pretty easy to please people...but they will never go back on an MSC ship.

Overall quality was a thumbs down...the food was not good (to them). He even talked to a couple of people in mgmt on their cruise....they went on the Lirica...

the person actually asked my dad about "why do so many people want to eat early"?......well, if he had looked at his demographic...the average age of that sailing was about 72....I am not saying all 72 year olds eat early...but yes, I would say most of them do...and 8 or 8:30 is much too late for them. Dad is 83...and he was able to get main seating.

There were approximately 75-80% of the pax on my dad's cruise who wanted main seating...that is impossible....so there were ALOT unhappy passengers.

They realized after the 2nd dinner not to order any beef for the rest of their cruise....the quality was not good.....so they ordered alot of fish.

The entertainment and itinerary was good........but other than that...lets say on a scale of 1-10...it was about a 4.

Oh they went to the Panama Canal.

Hey, all. Just returned from a 1-week cruise aboard the Caribbean Princess, my first ever sailing aboard Princess Line. Previous to that, we had sailed X several times--Galaxy 2, Century 1, Zenith 2, Meridian 2.

Anyway, this Caribbean Princess was too big (IMHO), too crowded. Of course, I was going peak season, but I have also cruised X during Christmas and I didn't feel the same crowding. I was told that "they" (Princess) had taken their Grand Class ship design, which is 116,000 tons w/2600 passengers, and just added another deck (another 800+ passengers!) with no extra public space--voila! the Caribbean Princess!

My daughter (pre-teen) loved the bigness and the crowded ship, she thought it was just great, packed with people and always something happening. For me, though, I would step down a notch to the other Grand Class ships with the same sq. footage and 800 less passengers.

Hubby and I thought the Galaxy was a good size, big enough to spread out but not so big that every walk was overwhelming.

Too bad X/RCL doesn't consider revamping the H and the Z to become more like Seabourn line--intimate ships with a calm, peaceful feel, and still have the ability to do all those exotic small ports.

Andy, my Dad and his lady friend went on an MSC earlier this year...they are pretty easy to please people...but they will never go back on an MSC ship.

Overall quality was a thumbs down...the food was not good (to them). He even talked to a couple of people in mgmt on their cruise....they went on the Lirica...

the person actually asked my dad about "why do so many people want to eat early"?......well, if he had looked at his demographic...the average age of that sailing was about 72....I am not saying all 72 year olds eat early...but yes, I would say most of them do...and 8 or 8:30 is much too late for them. Dad is 83...and he was able to get main seating.

There were approximately 75-80% of the pax on my dad's cruise who wanted main seating...that is impossible....so there were ALOT unhappy passengers.

They realized after the 2nd dinner not to order any beef for the rest of their cruise....the quality was not good.....so they ordered alot of fish.

The entertainment and itinerary was good........but other than that...lets say on a scale of 1-10...it was about a 4.

Oh they went to the Panama Canal.

Hi Lois !

I hear you on all of your comments. The one thing I would like to mention, is that the cruise you mentioned was taken, before Mr. Sasso had a chance to put his imprint on this line.

I also remember reading some poor reviews on the internet, but I am hopeful their product will improve in the coming months, now that Mr. Sasso is there to run MSC, his way.

I would imagine we will hear alot more about MSC as we move forward.

Regards,

Andy

Archived