Just back from Regatta - Some Observations

WJBonds

Back from our 2nd cruise on Regatta and loved it. Did the Panama Canal cruise 1/12. Have done many on Celeb.....like the smaller ships of Oceania better. JMHO

I dont think age matters.........we have friends of ALL ages.....we are in our early 50's and have met many wonderful friends of ALL ages on our travels.

Also enjoy the fact that we can bring wine back to enjoy in our stateroom......which was front/center.

Wonderful cruise......cant wait to go again!!!

I did post on the roll call - I was not an active participant, but I did post. I thought the people aboard were great and I don't know why you thought otherwise from my post. I believe they were the most travelled, experience people that I have ever met.

Perhaps I should have added that they were also a very nice group of friendly people.

BTW - I was very flexible with dining - ate in a group 10 of 12 nites. But when I did request a table for 2, an hour wait (7:15 - 8:15) in the main dining room is inexcusable.

Ah, if you're so flexible, perhaps that night (at prime time, I might add) was not the night to insist on a table for two and then stew when you had to wait.

On our last cruise (Spain & Portugal) we had Leslie Jon as the cruise director and we found him very good. He was always around interacting with the passengers. We noticed he took time to answer questions from several passengers, possibly first timers, and help them. On a previous cruise (Baltic) we had an British cruise director (One of twins apparently) who we found very distant and never interacted with the passengers.

I am sure other people have had the opposite experience. Each cruise has its own atmosphere and dynamics depending on the ports and the passengers.

We don't sail with Oceania for the entertainment but I will agree that the entertainment on deck should be coordinated a little more with the ports visited. We also would like to see some local entertainment while in port. When we were in St. Petersburg for three days it would have been nice to see a local folk group one night. We would have actually stayed up and gone to the show!

We will still only sail with Oceania, if possible, and hope things only get better. (Not that they aren't already the best)

On our recent Amazon trip, we had several groups of entertainers who joined or left the ship in various ports, for a continuous variety. They were all excellent -- comedians, impressionist, an award-winning clarinetist and is mezzo soprano wife, the cabaret group Black Tie, a singer who starred as Australia's Phantom, and more. We never missed a show.

Cruise director David Peterson arranged local entertainment in a couple of ports, including a steel drum group. He brought in a fantastic Brazilian folkloric group in Manaus, where they put on the closest thing to a production show that a single-deck showroom can accommodate.

1798383074_manausshow.jpg.eb3321f32f0fa562f4766a1426071eeb.jpg

we didn't have a problem with disclosure of reservations in Toscana when we requested them at the last minute. We asked for a table for 4 and were told we could have one @ 8:30 or we could share a table @ 8. We chose the latter and sat down right on time. We also did not have a problem in the main dining room for many night. We stopped by the matre'd around 7 and told him that we would like a table for 4 around 7:30 or when the last table of 4 remained, please contact us in the martini bar. On nights when they were busy, an assistant came to the bar and told us our table was ready. It worked like a charm.

On our recent Amazon trip, we had several groups of entertainers who joined or left the ship in various ports, for a continuous variety. They were all excellent -- comedians, impressionist, an award-winning clarinetist and is mezzo soprano wife, the cabaret group Black Tie, a singer who starred as Australia's Phantom, and more. We never missed a show.

Cruise director David Peterson arranged local entertainment in a couple of ports, including a steel drum group. He brought in a fantastic Brazilian folkloric group in Manaus, where they put on the closest thing to a production show that a single-deck showroom can accommodate.

Don,

We had the Australian group "Black Tie" when we were on our Amazon trip on the Veendam in October. We thought they were fantastic and one of the best acts we have seen.

If Oceania are having these sort of artists, then their entertainment is as good as HAL and even Princess which I have always considered to be better than HAL.

Jennie

Don,

We had the Australian group "Black Tie" when we were on our Amazon trip on the Veendam in October. We thought they were fantastic and one of the best acts we have seen.

If Oceania are having these sort of artists, then their entertainment is as good as HAL and even Princess which I have always considered to be better than HAL.

Jennie

Black Tie has been on Oceania since the Inaugural of Regatta I should say on and off..we have seen them many many times and enjoyed each time..

Jan

Black Tie came aboard Regatta a few days before the end of our 26 day cruise and were due to stay aboard for the Christmas cruise that followed. Because of the holidays, they brought their very talented children with them, and featured the kids in a pre-holiday show for us.

The rest of the shows by professionals were of equal caliber. Out of 25 nights, we had 2 nights of dance music by the ship's orchestra, 2 performances by the ship's entertainment staff, 2 performances by the first rate house string quartet, 1 performance on electronic percussion by the ship's pianist, 1 special lecture by the ship's lecturer, and the first-ever crew talent show on any Oceania ship, according to the cruise director. The other 16 nights were professionals as good as any I've seen, and better than many.

The Oceania ships are limited by the size of the showroom. It covers a single deck, with relatively low ceilings over the stage area, and the stage area itself is relatively small. There simply is not room to have Vegas-style productions shows or major shows like Cirque du Soleil. Withing the limitations, the entertainment is far better than one would expect.

Our local performing arts center has an intimate "black box" theater in addition to the main auditorium. The Oceania shows we saw are similar to the performances we see in our local theater. We seek them out.

Black Tie has been on Oceania since the Inaugural of Regatta I should say on and off..we have seen them many many times and enjoyed each time..

Jan

Just a couple of thoughts from my first cruise and hopefully many more

We love the ship the staff the places visited are all beautiful,food,hi tea

People were great I was one of the young 50's but met so many interesting people so age for me was not a issue.

Black Tie are great entertainers and I got to know them as regular people as they mingle with everyone

For the entertainment the staff was the weakest

If I hear another Broadway show tune I ll throw up

All they know is Broadway- they were in a time warp

Leslie was Leslie doing his job I am sure all these CD are the same

The broadway wanabee's his four assitant were really poor

They would show up as a job at different functions but you could see their heart wasn't in it.

Now to Kareoke

I should have won that night

Video Proof is here enjoy and also ziplining in Costa Rica

http://www.youtube.com/user/jazzyman1950

Photos are here a lot to look at

http://picasaweb.google.com/hbloomfield

So now I have a problem

Big Ship Lots of Restaurents, Better Entertainment, Tons Of Activity

Lot of People average food average Staff

or

Small Ship, Great Food Great Staff

No Activity No Entertainment

I think I'm taking a Jazz Cruise next year

Jazzyman

Jazzyman,

Great job on your photo album and YouTube videos. Without seeing your competition, I won't say whether or not you should have won the karaoke competition ;)

On our prior cruises we have heard the O orchestra play things other than Broadway -- the singers seem to come from aspiring Broadway performers, however, and maybe that is the reason the shows come out as they do.

I would love to see O offer a jazz cruise once in awhile -- we could all bring our instruments and have some jam sessions.

We are booked on next January's LA to Miami Panama canal cruise, so your photos and videos are of extra interest to us. Thanks again for sharing!

phlewt

Jazzyman,

Great job on your photo album and YouTube videos. Without seeing your competition, I won't say whether or not you should have won the karaoke competition ;)

phlewt

I just has to vent

When you do take the cruise amd it is a great one

Book this Charlie Soto in Costa Rica www.okeydokeytours.com

He will show you a great time and if you want to try Zip Lining it is a hoot and he is not expensive

There is a company that just does about 4 jazz cruises on the HA Line and they take over the whole ship for a week

http://www.thejazzcruise.com/

It not cheap but the artists are the top in the field

jazzyman

www.chetbaker.net

So now I have a problem

Big Ship Lots of Restaurents, Better Entertainment, Tons Of Activity

Lot of People average food average Staff

or

Small Ship, Great Food Great Staff

No Activity No Entertainment

I think I'm taking a Jazz Cruise next year

Jazzyman

Now Harvey... you know the food would not be as good on the big ships and High tea is definatly a let down after O. :D

I have to agree with you on the O entertainment staff...the girls sounded like chipmunks...it hurt me to sit through their shows.:eek:

A Jazz cruise on O would be a great idea

Hope you & Barb are warm and cozy tonight in T.O. :D

I have to agree with you on the O entertainment staff...the girls sounded like chipmunks...it hurt me to sit through their shows.:eek:

We had an entirely different experience on our very recent Nautica cruise. The two young ladies from the entertainment staff, Margaret and Emily, were both excellent, polished singers who more than held their own as cabaret-type singers when they put on their own shows. They were also fun, energetic, and above all talented when combined with the two male singers, Chris and J. R., on the production shows. On the four Oceania cruises we've sailed on, we never thought the girls in the shows sounded like chipmunks - must have been unique to Regatta's crew at the time. But then again, entertainment, like food, is highly subjective. For example, on one Oceania cruise, they featured a Polish violinist. This lady overcame her lack of real virtuoso talent by cranking up the volume on her violin about 20 db above the threshold of pain, and many in the audience went wild with their enthusiastic applause. As a lifelong musician, I couldn't help but muffle a few chuckles.

Mike

For example, on one Oceania cruise, they featured a Polish violinist.

Mike

Was that Hanna ?

The girls on the Regatta had those squeaky voices and their range was all in the high notes.

I just has to vent

When you do take the cruise amd it is a great one

Book this Charlie Soto in Costa Rica www.okeydokeytours.com

He will show you a great time and if you want to try Zip Lining it is a hoot and he is not expensive jazzyman

www.chetbaker.net

Beware, when you book Charlie Soto please make sure you are going to have him do your tour.

We booked Charlie six months before our trip last October and we were assured that we were going to have him take us around.

We were met at the Dock by him and put into a van with 12 other people and driven about a mile where the four of us were instructed to leave that van and go to another van which we did. We met a new driver and tour guide and then went on our merry way.

We discovered later on in the tour, that the driver and tour Guide did not even belong to Charlie's Tour Company. He had borrowed them for the day from another company. We found out we were to pay them, and then they were to give Charlie the money and he would then pay them which was a lot less than we were quoted for the trip. We felt for these two young men, the tour guide was actually a student at University and was going to teach English.

We had a good day, but we were upset that we were not told in any of our emails to Charlie, that we were going to be bumped off to a different tour guide and one from a different company.

Jennie

Beware, when you book Charlie Soto please make sure you are going to have him do your tour.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience,

I also booked 6 months before and he always answered right away and was there at the pier when we arrive

But I am sure these things happen I imagine you have to keep confirming up to the day you arrive just to make sure he will be the one conducting the tour not someone else

jazzyman

Hondorner and others who have been to Samana-

Does anyone know why Oceania even stopping at this port, with so many others to choose from? Is Oceania even aware of the conditions in Samana? It seems obvious that their passengers would enjoy another choice of port. I have heard that Mr. Del Rio reads these threads, does anyone know of a way to bring these Samana discussions to his attention?

Hondorner and others who have been to Samana-

Does anyone know why Oceania even stopping at this port...

No, I don't, but I speculated earlier on another thread that is has a lot to do with distance and timing. My guess is that Hispaniola is the "right" distance from Miami to make it a logical stop, while some of the other suggestions may be too far or too far out of the way to fit the necessary sequence of stops. I believe that some of the mass market lines have private islands in Haiti or the Dominican Republic in order to avoid the poverty and political messes, yet still have a "logical" stop to make.

If they skip that stop, they get back to Miami earlier than they want and if they go somewhere else, perhaps they get back later than they like. I don't know if that's so, but it seems like a moderately good guess, to me. I'd be interested to find out the real reason, also.

I searched the internet pretty good for something to do in Samana. Apparently there is a brisk tourist trade from January to March or so to watch whales, but we were there in December. The beach is nice, but we are not beach people. I've lived just a short distance from Florida beaches for almost 35 years, and haven't set foot on a beach in almost 34 years...:o

I've cruised Oceania 3 times now (won't cruise with anyone else!) and pretty much agree with what's been said before. A couple comments, however:

I often got up at 7 am and went out and about the ship. If you're about then, you'll see plenty of people cleaning it!!!

We got a table for 2 when we requested it in Polo and the other restaurant. However, we requested it when we reserved, and were willing to go a bit earlier (or later) than the norm if necessary.

Pitcher of water -??? Never wanted, never asked!!

Leslie Jon - great. no complaints.

Entertainment - not splashy, but we didn't care.

We book the cheaper cabins, which are just fine. We love Oceania mostly because of the smaller size, port intensive itineraries, casualness, and friendly passengers (and crew).

I agree with the comments on DR. We searched the internet and found whale watching is good in Samana. We tried to book it independently but received inconclusive responses so we booked on Regatta for $99pp (2x the local price). The tour operator used small open boats without heads or even seat cushions and when it started raining, handed out rain jackets. Since the waves were rough, some people did not go and on the other boat some pax got sick. We survived and saw whales, but the boat experience was inadequate for $99pp arranged from a luxury ship. On X the year before, Romana also was a waste and we just stayed on the ship.

We took a Caribbean cruise on Regatta earlier this year, and this seems like a good thread to add to. We were thrilled, and have already booked for next year.

We originally found Oceania in our search for a cruise line that understands the concept of "non-smoking" because my wife is physically allergic to tobacco smoke, making a non-smoking cabin an absolute requirement. We're appalled at how many cruise lines this simple requirement rules out.

Our cruising experience has been limited to the Yorktown Clipper (now owned by Cruise West, small ship, completely non-smoking for fire safety reasons), and Carnival's Paradise (too large for our liking, and no longer non-smoking). Oceania does understand the concept of "non-smoking" (the two smoking areas are easily avoided), and the ship was a nice size for us; a bit larger would be fine, but we hope Oceania is not considering 100,000+ ton behemoths.

The food was very good to excellent. The fruit sorbets in particular were wonderful, and can be obtained with lunch at Waves by the pool. The availability of freshly grilled fish every day at Waves was a very pleasant surprise, as was the whole idea of high tea - much better than a midnight buffet, and Horizons (deck 10 forward) is a great place for it. The string quartet was a great addition to high tea, and we enjoyed listening to them on the way to dinner.

The dining arrangements were great - no assigned times/seating and no formal nights!! I packed two jackets and no ties, and I probably didn't even need the jackets. We particularly liked Toscana and Tapas, and dined at Tapas about half the time.

The on-board crew was wonderful - excellent service from people who really seemed to enjoy what they were doing. The concierge was very helpful in resolving an issue with our cabin early in the cruise, and we'll remember his determined "If you have a problem, I have a problem" attitude for a long time to come.

We liked the port-intensive nature of the cruise. St. Barts and Grand Turk were our favorites for very different reasons. On the other hand, Samana was a disappointment, and we concur with the earlier suggestion to run tenders to Cayo Leventado - according to Fodor's, MSC Cruises uses Cayo Leventado as their "private island", but doesn't control it, so it should be a nice place.

Earlier in this thread, Jan said to write to FDR (Frank Del Rio) with comments - she's not kidding, do it! We had a shore excursion problem that could not be resolved on Regatta, and so we wrote to FDR. It took some time for Oceania to look into our problem (we got an immediate response saying that they needed time), but after a few weeks they responded to our problem in a fashion that significantly exceeded our expectations - we're completely satisfied.

I agree with dlb237, a letter to Mr. Del Rio regarding Samana, and any other issues could do wonders if people would just take a moment of their time to do so.

Jancruz1- You mentioned FDR is in Europe, any idea when he will be back or if he still reads this board? What would you suggest to bring Samana and some of the other issues to his attention? It would be great if Oceania could use Cayo Levantado for their "private island" as MSC has.

A few changes could make our next Oceania cruise absolutely perfect.

Archived