Why Eggcrate foam pad on bed??

BarbMatt

Any idea if Princess would let you take your own topper? We have one here at home and we are driving to the port so no problems on space. We asked for an egg crate topper last time but like many have said, they ran out. I don't want to get there and have them tell me that they don't have any when I have a nice one here at home that I can bring. My only thought is that they might get a little suspicious when we walk off the boat with what could appear to be one of their toppers.

Never had one never will, the beds have been excellent for me on my 35 Princess Cruises. :rolleyes:

Have you been in suites? Those are the nicer mattresses from what I have read but full suites and not minisuites.

Its already been stated on main page of cruise critic those cruiselines with the wonderful mattresses. Hal and Carnival have those mattresses in all rooms, Princess does not which really surprises me.

Any idea if Princess would let you take your own topper? We have one here at home and we are driving to the port so no problems on space. We asked for an egg crate topper last time but like many have said, they ran out. I don't want to get there and have them tell me that they don't have any when I have a nice one here at home that I can bring. My only thought is that they might get a little suspicious when we walk off the boat with what could appear to be one of their toppers.

If I could drive to port and had one to bring I sure would as it ensure you had one and its honestly more sanitary.

Have you been in suites? Those are the nicer mattresses from what I have read but full suites and not minisuites.

No I wish, I have been in the lowly inside through our first Suite which was last May on the Island. :)

We are usually in a standard balcony so I have slept on the gammet of mattress's in all types of cabins.

When I am onboard I sleep like a rock.

Does anyone know which ships have gone through the replacement procedure? Has the Grand?

Anne

The mattresses are very uncomfortable on the ships that have not gone through the replacement procedure. Hard, lumpy, thin and old!!! The sooner all bedding is replaced on all Princess ships the better. It seems everyone asks for an "eggcrate topper" and there are just not enough to go around. Shouldn't that be telling Princess something?

Having said that we love Princess in most other respects.

Does anyone know which ships have gone through the replacement procedure? Has the Grand?

Anne

Good question....still waiting for an answer.

On Royal Caribbean I seemed to sleep well, but the mattresses were not all that comfortable. I think I was just tired from all the daily activities!

Looking forward to traveling on the CB in May and hoping I can sleep just as well - no matter what the mattresses are like!

:)

When we were on Diamond princess 2 years ago, I asked for the topper after the first night. Every pressure point in my body was hurting. The steward told me I won't have that problem if I put on some more weight! :eek: (I am not rail thin by any means, but not very big either!) I think he was being funny, but he did bring an egg crate for me. much, oh so much better. :p

We found the new mattresses and bedding on the coral to be very comfortable...better than our bed at home. We were in a VS, but our kids were in the minisuite next door and had the exact same mattresses and bedding. There were also a variety of pillow styles available.

I am bringing my own ( my DNA only ) ... I purchased it at Linens and Things and I am putting it in a duffel bag.... It wasn't expensive, so I might "donate" it when we leave... we are driving as well and it isn't that bulky.. we just have bad backs and need a little more support and softness.... I am also going to ask our steward to add a duvet under our sheets for a little more "fluff".... if we are pleasently surprised when we get there, I won't even bother to unpack it. Good Luck....

He does hate the pillows, though, and even brought one onboard the last cruise.

My husband and I always put our own pillows from home in SpaceSaver bags when we travel. We do this on cruises and when we travel to Europe and elsewhere. I purposely choose a distinctive pillow case (and pack an extra for longer trips) so the staff doesn't confuse it with one of theirs.

We've asked for egg crates for our March 19 cruise. It'll be one of the first things I look for when we get to our stateroom.

It's just a shame that nice, newer ships like the Diamond and Sapphire don't have comfortable mattresses. You'd think the cruise lines would get the message with most hotels focusing on their mattresses and linen quality. I'm really freaked out now because I hate hard mattresses and I just spent 10 days in agony another ship with a hard mattress. I assumed that newer ships would have nicer matresses.:mad:

It's just a shame that nice, newer ships like the Diamond and Sapphire don't have comfortable mattresses. You'd think the cruise lines would get the message with most hotels focusing on their mattresses and linen quality. I'm really freaked out now because I hate hard mattresses and I just spent 10 days in agony another ship with a hard mattress. I assumed that newer ships would have nicer matresses.:mad:

Yes it is pitiful but be sure to fax in your request to Princess to get that topper and if worse comes to worse your steward should be able to make it bearable by adding more blankets. I have a bad back so I have to be careful or else the whole day is ruined due to pain.

Most of the beds on Princess are very hard, even the new ones we found to be extremely hard. The egg crate mattress pad helps to soften it up a bit.

I agree with this completely. We have an amazing pillow-top mattress at home and therefore really do find even the new beds on Princess a bit too firm. The mattress pad just helps a bit for comfort.

I am bringing my own ( my DNA only ) ... I purchased it at Linens and Things and I am putting it in a duffel bag.... It wasn't expensive, so I might "donate" it when we leave...

Ewwwww TMI!!! :eek:

Another reason why I don't use one, you can't wash them!!! :rolleyes:

I faxed them a couple months ago, but it's still not on my Cruise Personalizer. I also requested feather pillows, as well as a couple extra regular pillows and those are showing up on my Special Services. I wonder what's with the eggcrate toppers. :confused:

The mattresses are not only poor quality but generally sagging and you can feel and see indents. They ran out of egg crate toppers on last cruise and all the steward could use were blankets under the sheet. Princess knows they have a problem with their beds, even Carnival beds are wonderful to sleep on. This time I am faxing in my request for the toppers. My back can't take 7 nights of those beds.

The poster above who says to ask for a foam mattress probably means the eggcrate topper which is a cheapie piece of lightweight foam.

I faxed them a couple months ago, but it's still not on my Cruise Personalizer. I also requested feather pillows, as well as a couple extra regular pillows and those are showing up on my Special Services. I wonder what's with the eggcrate toppers. :confused:

Interesting, none of my requests have ever shown up on my personalizer.

We were on the cancelled Mar 1st Regal Princess cruise. I had written and asked for the egg crate mattress and while it was never shown on the personalizer, when I rebooked the cruise for the 13th of Mar, it was noted elsewhere in their notes for our reservation and they just moved it over to the new booking.

I do suggest that if you want the egg crate, that you write or fax ahead since more and more cruisers are becoming aware that they are available. It makes a big difference in our comfort and if we waited until we came on board, we might be disappointed.

I don't have any problem using theirs because it's all covered up by the sheets and never actually comes in contact with you. But whatever makes you comfortable.

I don't know the fax number, but here is the address for anyone who wants to write ahead.

Princess Cruises

Customer Assistance

24305 Town Center Drive

Valencia CA 91355

Hope you have a very comfortable cruise,

Barb

We'va faxed before and that hasn't always worked. I did fax for our upcoming trip and it shows up so we'll see whether or not it's there this time around.

Where did you find in your personalizer? I don't see a spot where they can put it? I checked special requests, other requests and nothing.

Having sailed HAL last cruise and finding their mattresses the ultimate in dreamtime living, we are now quite concerned that we have booked on the Grand for September, are we about to have 10 sleepless nights? Are the mattresses really that bad? I have a rather down-under quiet pushy manner when I am not happy, even more so if I have had a disturbed slumber and a bad nights sleep, watch out Pursers Office for a 4 am visit and I will not depart until something is done about it Be prepared the Oscars have nothing on me when I am :mad:

I've seen you on the HAL boards, Chivalrygirl! Our last cruise was HAL too, and the beds are to die for. We're looking to book another cruise for November, and it's between doing the Noordam again, or the new Emerald Princess 10 day out of FFL. I love the itinerary of the Emerald Princess, but HAL keeps pulling me back: the beds, the complimentary full breakfast with room service, the flat screen TV's, the crew, and the smaller size of the ship.

I wonder if the new Emerald Princess will have bedding like HAL?

I'll be waiting to hear about the bedding, too!

innlady

Archived