how much clothes do you pack?

sm76

We just started packing for our cruise next week to the Caribbean. My husband is packing and I want to know how many shirts shorts pants ties do the guys pack. he packed alot of t-shirts. There are just 2 formals and the rest are casual correct. we will be on the Radiance for the 6 night. can he just wear short sleeve nice button shirts with dressy pants. Do the suits have to be dark. would appreciate any advice. Thank you:)

We just started packing for our cruise next week to the Caribbean. My husband is packing and I want to know how many shirts shorts pants ties do the guys pack. he packed alot of t-shirts. There are just 2 formals and the rest are casual correct. we will be on the Radiance for the 6 night. can he just wear short sleeve nice button shirts with dressy pants. Do the suits have to be dark. would appreciate any advice. Thank you:)

Hubby brings for a 7 day,(6 day is close enough) 2 pairs dockers type pants with 2 collared shirts for each of them (4 shirts total). 1 suit with two different shirts and ties. For the daytime, don't pack shorts for each day because you will be in bathingsuits a big part of the time and the shorts can usually be reworn. He also brings several t-shirts but then buys one from each of the islands to supplement. Dress shoes and casual shoes (for the dockers), water shoes and sneakers. Remember there is a great laundry service so if he needs anything it can be washed or dry cleaned.

I always pack waaay too much! One daytime outfit, one evening outfit, (per day!) bathing suits and coverups, underwear, robe, shoes and more shoes, toiletries, binoculars, books.....Need I go on? I seldom end up wearing everything (except the evening wear) since sometimes I repeat the daytime clothes- some days, I'm in a bathing suit all day long! But, I like having choices and don't want to be sending stuff to the laundry service. They do ok on some things, but not on all! One bad experience with the laundry on the ship was 1 too much!

One suit one dress shirt and tie for the formal nights. 3 pair of docker type pants, 5 casual collared shirts. Also dress shoes plus sneakers and a pair of loafers. 2 pair of shorts with uncollared shirts. Underwear and socks enough to change for each day of the cruise.

Hubby brings for a 7 day,(6 day is close enough) 2 pairs dockers type pants with 2 collared shirts for each of them (4 shirts total). 1 suit with two different shirts and ties. For the daytime, don't pack shorts for each day because you will be in bathingsuits a big part of the time and the shorts can usually be reworn. He also brings several t-shirts but then buys one from each of the islands to supplement. Dress shoes and casual shoes (for the dockers), water shoes and sneakers. Remember there is a great laundry service so if he needs anything it can be washed or dry cleaned.

This seems well thought out. We, like many first time cruisers way over pack. The hardest part of the trip was getting to and from the ship. I only packed dress shoes and sneakers, no casual shoe. My new clean tennis shoes were ok for the dining room on non-formal nights. Next time I will pack only one dress shirt and have it pressed between formal nights. Nobody cares or notices if I wear the same thing both formal nights. Its doing all I can to put on a tie while on vacation. I'll probably only pack 2 pairs of shorts on our next cruise. In conclusion, we will pack a lot lighter. My wife is a genius at getting the most in a suitcase, and I end up lugging them around and tipping extra because of the bulk. Not next time.

This depends on each person. Some get away with little others need more.

I like to get dressed up, and tend to bring many things. So needless to say I pack that way for my husband as well.

I usually plan the week out and write down what will be worn each day for each outing, this way you only bring what is on the list and yet, one can still change their clothes often if wanted.

Do way works for you. ENJOY!

This seems well thought out. We, like many first time cruisers way over pack. The hardest part of the trip was getting to and from the ship. I only packed dress shoes and sneakers, no casual shoe. My new clean tennis shoes were ok for the dining room on non-formal nights. Next time I will pack only one dress shirt and have it pressed between formal nights. Nobody cares or notices if I wear the same thing both formal nights. Its doing all I can to put on a tie while on vacation. I'll probably only pack 2 pairs of shorts on our next cruise. In conclusion, we will pack a lot lighter. My wife is a genius at getting the most in a suitcase, and I end up lugging them around and tipping extra because of the bulk. Not next time.

Thanks Bill,

This was much different on our first cruise though. The first cruise we had enough clothes that we could have stayed on for another whole cruise and not worn anything twice! :eek: Now we are getting ready for our 11th and we do things so differently, since this one is 11 days hubby is renting a tux to save packing room and all my clothes are now travel fabrics that not only don't wrinkle but pack really small. I am probably bringing more daytime shirts this cruise because we are going to the Panama and with the heat I figure I won't be able to rewear many items. I think the biggest thing I have changed it all my evening outfits now are black or with black in them which means only 1 pair dress shoes and 1 pair casual black shoes. The first cruise I brought 14 pairs!!!

on the Jewel, hubby packed just as Sue L writes, except he wore the same white dress shirt with his suit and just changed the tie. You only have it on a few hours so it will probably be fine to wear again, but if not you can always spend the couple bucks to have it cleaned. Re: suit color, I don't see why it needs to be dark. You will see everything on formal night.

Somehow, I ended up not having enough clothes, after reading all the tips on trying to get away with less. I didn't exactly run out of clothes but I did wish I had brought a couple more pair of shorts and one more set of cool weather clothes. (Key West was pretty chilly so we ended up wearing our clothes from embarkation day, which we had already planned to wear also on debarkation day.)

I just had to pay $20 each way on the airline as my suitcase was 5 pounds overweight! More is better and you never know what you might want to wear. I usually get DH a tux on board so that eliminates him packing too much and makes it easy for him. I bring many cocktail dresses, 10 bathingsuits and cover ups and alot of work out wear. I also be sure to bring a carry on with a nice outfit so that the airline will not lose my bag and spoil my trip and also the bags are checked going onto the ship and they will not make it to your cabin prior to dinner the 1st night. Live and learn. Have fun!:cool:

It doesnt matter if I go away for the wkend or for a whole week, I always seem to pack way to much. I don't even wear half of the clothes that I pack. I just dont want to not pack something and regret it, so I pretty much pack my summer wordrobe. I just can't help it. We are planning a family cruise this coming Dec, and I need a whole suitcase by itself just for my shoes:eek: . My mom gets mad that I pack all this stuff. My boyfriend is coming with us and I am hoping that he will only have one suitecase(since you are allowed 2 to board on a plane he can check an extra one for me) cause that will mean I can have 2 suitcases for clothes and one for my shoes. I at least have to have 2 outfits a day. I like to have choices. :o :D :)

event.png

Our rule is always one suitcase per person, and a small carry-on. Put everything out on the bed and only take half. Leave room for your purchases and watch out for the airlines lowered weight allowances. The onboard laundry is reasonable as you can fit a lot in the bag that they have for a fixed price. Some people bring old socks, underwear etc. which they toss to have room for the purchases. Remember that you may want to bring goodies on board, ie. drinks and snacks, so leave room. All the best.

I always pack to much stuff, but I did find a big help in fitting it all in one suitcase. Buy yourself a box of 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags. I was able to fit 3 outfits in each bag and they pack so nicely. I packed two weeks worth of clothing in one suitcase plus 5 pairs of shoes...

Melissa

Archived