LIVE from the MARINER of the SEAS (3/11-3/18)!!!

We're also just back from the 3/11 - 3/18 Mariner cruise, and I'm happy to report that both the savory bites (my fave as well), and the I do believe the Vidalia onion tart are still available. The food was o.k., and some nights were better than others, but I have had better food on RCI in the past. As an example, they had prime rib early on in the week, and my husband just raved about it, however, later in the week, he complained that it was tough. Good nights to go to Chops/Portofino seem to be either Tuesday or Wednesday, and the recommendations you've heard over and over again on this board to book your reservations as soon as you board the ship are very true! I can't emphasize enough how important this is, since we weren't able to get exactly what we wanted. If you don't mind giving up a formal night, Thursday night would also be a good night to book. We got on the ship at noon, but didn't try to book reservations until 2 p.m. By then, most people are boarding the ship, and it really is too late. We were able to get a 7:30 at Chops on Wednesday, but Portofino only had a 9 p.m. on that same night, so we booked Chops. Although the meat was wonderful, and the mud pie was to die for, the remainder of the meal left alot to be desired. The Caesar salad in the dining room is much better, and for a restaurant of that caliber, the sides shouldn't be served "family style". In comparison, the specialty restaurant, David's, on Carnival Pride, was a better dining experience. I only wish we could have tried Portofino's, as well.

Becky looks great! Ran into her on the Promenade on Saturday night, and told her of everyone's concern when she hurt her back (actually, she explained to me that she broke a rib, but it was on the back side). She said that everyone at CruiseCritic is so sweet to be concerned. She's such a kick in the pants, and a bundle of energy, and it truly would be Mariner's loss if she went to another ship. From the sound of it, she and Captain Johnny are joined at the hip. During Captain's Corner, Capt. Johnny explained that he was commissioned to roll out the Voyager Class ships, and Becky has been with him since the beginning. Does that mean if he leaves, they both leave?

We got to see Capt Johnny drive his Harley up the gangway in Cozumel, and a "don't miss" would have to be going up to Deck 12 (?) and looking in on the bridge area. His "little Harley" was parked right next to the control console! He may even drive it up to his book signing on Saturday, so even if you don't buy his book, you should show up just to see him ride his "scooter" up the promenade!

Of all the cruises we've been on, both my husband and I agree, that the cruise staff on this ship was the best out of all of them, with the exception of 2 crew members who work in the photo studio. Other than that, we loved everyone - our waiter, Zeljko, our asst. waiter Asta (good luck on Brilliance, Asta!), our head waiter Benji, and our cabin steward, Evelyn.

To those of you who are booked in Jr Suites on Mariner, we got priority check in, 2 cruise credits, more space, a bath tub, a walk in closet and . . . toiletries! Yes, they were the small travel size, but we got 'em, plus a scrubbie, cotton balls and Q-tips - all without asking. The size was perfect for 3 people (my husband, myself, and our 16 year old son), and I would highly recommend this cabin size. Not to mention that this is what finally pushed us out of Gold and into Platinum in C & A!

I was able to get all 7 days of the 15 - 17 y.o.'s Cruise Compass, so if they haven't already been posted, I'll try to get those scanned in and posted by this weekend.

You know it's a good cruise when you get all teary eyed at the farewell show. You know it's a GREAT cruise, when your husband gets teary as well!

You'll LOVE Mariner!

Dru

Thanks for the review Dru.

We will be sailing on the Mariner on June 3rd. Are very excited to hear that Capt. Johnny & Becky will be onboard with us!

Would LOVE to get copies of the teen compasses, as well as the adult compasses if you have them.

Thanks again!

Does the balcony in the JS have a lounge chair and 2 chairs or what? I am booked on the hump in JS 9614 and D1 9612, these are in the beginning or end of the hump, should they be ok. Also did you do any excursions and if so what? Any other info you would like to offer also would be helpful.

Thank you

Thanks for the reveiw Dru, Anxiously awaiting my first cruise on the Mariner in just 32 Days. Sorry to hear I will miss out on Johnny and his Harley but I hear Per is a fun Captain too. I hope that my DH enjoys this as much as yours did. It is crutial to my future cruising.

Thanks for all the wonderful info on this thread. Anxiously awaiting a full review.

Also, thanks for finding out about Becky and Captain Johnny. Looks like they will be on board for my cruise in June. Haven't sailed with either of them, but from what I have heard they sound like some pair.

Less than 3 months to go, can't wait!!

Still waiting on pins and needles for Oliver's review, feel like a kid at Christmas.

LOL that is too funny. I just came to check the boards quickly at work. I actually started my review last night at home. On Day 3. I worked a 10 hour day yesterday and am doin' it again today, but I am spending all my free time writing it I promise. I never realized my review would be so wanted! :) It will be very long, that I promise.

LOL that is too funny. I just came to check the boards quickly at work. I actually started my review last night at home. On Day 3. I worked a 10 hour day yesterday and am doin' it again today, but I am spending all my free time writing it I promise. I never realized my review would be so wanted! :) It will be very long, that I promise.

I hope it's as long as mine! LOL :D I love well written, long reviews... just can't get enough! I need to start planning my next cruise (actually, I kind-of am... just can't book it yet because the dates aren't out).

Take your time... we'll give you until tomorrow. ;)

I love reading all this great stuff about the Mariner. My husband and I are booked to sail May 6 and we are so excited. I have sailed on Soverign and Carnival Glory and am anxiously waiting for our trip on the Mariner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Does the balcony in the JS have a lounge chair and 2 chairs or what? I am booked on the hump in JS 9614 and D1 9612, these are in the beginning or end of the hump, should they be ok. Also did you do any excursions and if so what? Any other info you would like to offer also would be helpful.

Thank you

I thought I had posted a few days ago, but it doesn't appear to be here. I was also hoping that Oliver the Cat would have posted her review by now, but I'll try to answer some of the questions above.

StlGal: I'm going to try and scan in the teen compasses this weekend and get those posted. Earlier in this thread is posted a link to the daily (adult) Cruise Compasses. They're quite complete, with the exception of the teen compasses. I used this link before my Mariner cruise last week, and it really helped!

LSaunder: We had cabin 9580 (junior suite) on Deck 9, and on our balcony was a chair w/attached ottomon, plus 2 regular chairs and a small side table, with plenty of room to still walk around. As far as excursions, my husband, friend and son did the canopy tour (zip line) in Jamaica, and absolutely loved it! They also did a 2 tank dive in Grand Cayman. Myself, a friend, and her 2 kids did the snorkle with the stringrays tour, and we all really had a great time. I've done this tour before about 3 years ago, and I had so much fun then, I didn't mind going again!

CaptJaneway: My husband said that the crew on this ship was the best of any cruiseline/ship we've been on, and this was cruise #7! We've cruised Princess (Grand), Carnival (Fantasy and Pride), and RCCL (Monarch, Adventure, and now Mariner). If this is your husband's first cruise, and he will judge all cruises by this one, then you couldn't have picked a better ship! You'll both love this ship!

Finally, please check your Cruise Compasses closely. We missed the Ice Show because we didn't notice that the ticket distribution was first thing in the morning on the first sea day. As soon as we realized that we had missed this, we went to Guest Relations and asked about any leftover tickets (recommended in the Cruise Compass), but they were all gone. When I asked about "stand-by" tickets, they told me not to even bother, since most people who have tickets do show up. We enjoyed the Ice Show on Adventure so much, that we didn't want to miss this one, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. For those of you who haven't seen this show, I highly recommend it, so don't miss the ticket distribution!

You'll have a great time!

Dru

OK GUYS just finished my long long long review. Maybe there should be trumpets sounding as I post this or something haha. Posting it now seperately, each day in a seperate post under same topic. Hopefully nobody will respond until i am done posting the whole thing one after another.

here goes. enjoy!

Marissa

StlGal: I'm going to try and scan in the teen compasses this weekend and get those posted. Earlier in this thread is posted a link to the daily (adult) Cruise Compasses. They're quite complete, with the exception of the teen compasses. I used this link before my Mariner cruise last week, and it really helped!

Dru

Hi Dru.

Used the link to get the adult compasses. We have found a wealth of information, thanks! :D Please let me know when you've posted the teen compasses.

Thanks again!

angie

Archived