Has Princess stopped using trans-fats?

Rhodes727

Everyone can go to their local Health Dept website and pull up inspection reports. If you don't have enough to worry about, read those. You may never leave home again. Eating at a Mall restaurant is the worst. My Pepsi guy used to tell me stories about some of his deliveries and the kitchens he went through.:eek:

Trans fat has been proved to give one high blood pressure ,heart problems,obesity.:eek:

This is a serious health question.

Does anyone know if the use of trans fat has been reduced in the kitchens of the Princess fleet.?

If I remember correctly (always a challenge at my age) from my UST, Princess doesn't cook or fry with fat. They use olive oil or canola (or similar) oil. I'm not a cook and don't pay much attention to this so I could be off base but I don't think you need to worry about trans-fats in Princess food.

I know that people have the choice to dine more healthy, but as for me, I don't mind having something now and then cooked in trans-fat. Like the psalmist says, "who can add a day to his life"?

However, Rhodes727, if it is such a concern for you, your BEST place to find an answer would be from Princess directly.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

One or two weeks is NOT going to kill you !!! You really need to calm down and worry about something that impacts your life for more than a few short weeks!

I'm thinking the same thing. It's one thing to inquire about it so you can make more knowledgeable choices for yourself. But a petition?

I've actually heard that all the food on Princess is fat free. That's why I eat all the pizza, ice cream, desserts, Alfredo, and burgers I want. I would never eat like that at home. But I choose to do so on a cruise!

That's why they call it vacation!

One or two weeks is NOT going to kill you !!! You really need to calm down and worry about something that impacts your life for more than a few short weeks!

Never cruise less than thirty .This is thirtyfive days .

I take note of my cholesterol levels and have lowered those levels by diet not medications:).

If Carnival discontinued the use of cooking oils containing trans fats in 2005,and they are the parent comapny, I wonder why they didnt stop the use of transfats in all their company's ships

You - like many others before you - have made the erroneous assumption that the Carnival Corp Holding Company tells it's member companies what to do.

They don't.

The individual cruise line companies operate independently of each other - and independently of Carnival Corp.

You - like many others before you - have made the erroneous assumption that the Carnival Corp Holding Company tells it's member companies what to do.

They don't.

The individual cruise line companies operate independently of each other - and independently of Carnival Corp.

You're right. People read that Carnival owns Princess and assume it's Carnival Cruise Lines rather than the actuality that the holding company Carnival Corporation & Plc. owns Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess, HAL, Cunard, Seaborn, etc. It's akin to saying that Progresso tells Hamburger Helper how to run their business as they're both owned by General Mills. Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess are completely separate brands, just like Progresso and Hamburger Helper. :)

If this is a real concern you can always just eat a salad from the salad bar. However, just keep in mind with all of the outbreaks of e coli that they have been finding in fruits and vegetables the past few years this may also be a health hazard. The cruise lines seem to be able to prepare special selections for those who are diabetic, vegan, or have celiac disease and require a gluten free diet. Preparing a meal without trans fats when requested should not be a problem. If you are still worried you can probably bring a case of Ensure on board but they may charge a corking fee if you bring it to the MDR. Does anyone know how Ensure tastes with Rum? ;)

It's one thing to fry only in trans fat free frying oil, that is easy to avoid. It;s products like margarine & shortening that are the primary sources of trans fats in food products. I work for a large foodservice co, we stock 23 different fry oil all TF free. On the other hand-17 cake shortenings 1 is TF free. 13 margarines-2 are TF free. Chances are there are trans fats on board. My guess is in the baked goods. I would go for frying in lard, the original trans fat free shortening, which is what made the McD's fries so good until about 30 years ago...it's been downhill ever since then.:)

Harvey

Archived