Gotta Stop Terrorists!

theawesome1

:eek: Gosh, all morning as I turn on the TV to check out Alex all I am seeing on all stations including CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc is police, talk of terrorists in trucks & cars bombing folks. Then close the borders to outsiders already..... Do not wreck my vacation! I do not want a cancelled cruise or to arrive home to closed airports & ships not able to dock.

I lost a friend's dad in the first plane into WTC 9/11 & do not want more sorry to live thru. With the latest of Al Queda easily entering US soil thru Mexico then lets get an electric fence along the southern border. Here on the Lake we have police boats, coast guard, helicopters that resemble Army fatigue (sp). When the President was here to open the Int'l Children's Games, I sat on the freeway bridge making sure no one was on it but passing cars & none even stepping on a brake. My stomach was a double knot with the idea that someone may want me................. this afternoon is the end with medal awards & the flame going out. But 55 countries including a gal's soccer team from Afganistan (who won!). Then they are off to the airport to go home tomorrow morning, so out there to make sure they get thru customs & security areas. Very strange that never a fear since last Tuesday that any weirdos would show here, but this morning in Wash DC, NYC & N NJ - YIKES! Then Dean stating it it election game of Bush's.

So now we have this for 35 days to get thru............. and I think well need a bottle of bubbly instead of a glass when we board. BE SAFE!

The matter of the impact of terrorism on leisure activities is a legitimate subject for this Message Board, but please avoid getting into a political argument here. There are plenty of Message Boards out there that discuss politics.

Here we discuss something a little bit more interesting (at least to me) and usually less volatile (unless we're talking about chair hogging)... and that is CRUISING.

Please, NO POLITICS in this thread.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing more security around the ports and getting on the ships. It is a truly scary time but I will continue to live my life and cruise as usual. When we stop doing the things we love the terrorists have won.

:eek: Gosh, all morning as I turn on the TV to check out Alex all I am seeing on all stations including CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc is police, talk of terrorists in trucks & cars bombing folks. Then close the borders to outsiders already..... Do not wreck my vacation! I do not want a cancelled cruise or to arrive home to closed airports & ships not able to dock.

By your own logic, you will not longer be able to cruise as all nations should close off their borders and not allow immigrants OR transient tourists.

How do you expect to stop terrorists already within our borders? Remember prior to 9/11 the single biggest terrorist act on this soil was committed by an American.

My wife and I worked at the Pentagon and were at there on 9/11. We were very close to the point of impact and escaped, luckily, without a scratch. Not all of our coworkers were that fortunate and of the 125 killed in the building 7 were close friends. Not looking for sympathy, just mentioned it because we had to deal with it and have gotten on with our life. Yep, we no longer live in the DC area. We moved last year and certainly part of the motivation was the memory of 9/11 and the potential for more. More importantly though was a quality of life issue and we just plain love being further west. Life is too short to get wrapped totally around the axle about some stuff. A certain amount of caution is good....don't let it ruin your life or the terrorists will have won.

And in my line of work, we are constantly sued by ACLU for discrimination, patronizing, racial bigotry, etc. Run a red light & you win a visit from us & we don't care who you are just that you are licensed, have insurance, wearing seatbelts as are your children in their proper seats & restraints.

But the TV is just filled with all the "Hollywoodizing" of these people, every broadcast, several times in a broadcast to the point I just watch Weather Channel. Why give them all the press..........let officers do their job, keep folks safe, close roads for checking vehicles & catch those that U-turn as we do with sobriety tests. We do not publicize where we are working.

I travel plenty just to refresh my brain............ mini vacations are very popular with us, because we get calls to get on the job in emergencies & being on a cruise has to be an OK'd vacation. Airlines like us happy for extra security or to assist jump starting a person, which I've done plenty as did my husband.

But I really do get aggravated when jerks try to wreck a vacation! Anyone's vacation.........

What they are trying to do is "not wreck your vacation", what they are doing is trying to wreck the "American" way of life..........by setting up the targets they have, they are trying to acttack the financial set-ip of this country....we who live im New York have been on level orange since the 911 attacks, what we need is more money so be can even be more diligent in our job. Right now New York ranks in the last 10% of money allocated to prevent terriosim in this country, as allocated by Congress. Write the President, write Congress New York is in NEED

theawesomeone,

Have you considered that you would not be able to take a cruise on a ship registered in the USA and wholly staffed by Americans, cruising only in American waters? Maybe a riverboat cruise, or if you were in a self-powered rowboat...

You wouldn't really want to ban Celebrity ships from calling at US ports to pick you up, would you? After all, they're staffed by people from all over the world, and they're not registered in the USA.

I understand that everyone is tired of feeling at risk, and actually being at risk, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

No but I do worry that we either will not be able to fly to London to catch the ship when the airports are locked down again or home after the cruise, tho I'd rent a car & drive home. USA has no ships, other than the NCL trip in Hawaii, but it isn't too sweet as yet. (The crew was exhausted so they cancelled a week). But they do have offices in the USA & heaven forbid tha one would be boarded as the Killy Laurel (sp) was. I am still sick with that horrible event.

Here in Cleveland, we have 300 laid off officers & 4 fire stations closed due to no $$$. The school system is $24 mil deficit. We are the 3rd highest taxed city in the USA & have NOTHING?????? They want to tax us more for the schools & to rehire officers & firemen. Where's the Homeland Security $$$$???? We are the North Shore of the USA, but folks say what are they going to blow up in Cleveland???? They made $20 mil with the Int'l Children's Games that closes tonite with awards & the torch extinguishing. So hire back safety forces, but no the Mayor & City Council want Blackberries.

Jeez...don't close the borders!! I'm on the other side of that border and I actually enjoy the time I spend with our neigbours to the south...besides we have an awful lot of oil you need and we need your goods, services and business (money)...as much as our Liberal government would have you think different, especially under Cretien, we actually are much the same....don't let fear run your life...then they win.

Danno, ok, I'll give it a shot, I'll spend my hard earned American Dollars in Canada, I need a brake job, are you going to give me a discount, or at least a coupon, I need something to get me up there!

BTW, I noticed, you're only a Blue Ribbon Cruiser, hahahahahahh!

I second Danno's comment re: not closing the border. We love going into the US and do so many times a year. Lots of lovely scenery, quaint towns and most importantly, shopping!

Seriously, let's all denounce terrorism as a cowardly act, and not let the bad guys win.

Last Friday we went south for the day. We have the pass so we do not have to wait in line as long. The line ups were horrendous as the US was put on a higher level of alert. It is most disconcerting when the 9/11 report came out and the tapes of those cowards who flew the planes into buildings getting through. I wear safety toe shoes that are metal of course. I get more scrutiny than the bad guys. I get the 5th degree about what I am going to the US for. The border guards, who all have guns in the US, have taken it upon themselves to be the legal people, NAFTA etc and it is their job to protect workers in the States. Get the bad guys, take the guns away from them and if necessary lock them up for 20 years or so.

The world must be more diligent. Learn from the Middle East, Ireland, Croatia, China, Africa, etc. Perhaps the Israeli's are the only ones who have gotten right. Build a fence... it is working. At the same time those who want to can enter the country.

Cruising is a way to get away from all this garbage stuff that is happening in the world today.

When people say close the boarders I don't think Canada, I think people coming from overseas. Not sure people in NYC could handle another attack.

As much as it worries me lately I will not let terrorists control my life.

I will never give up cruising. So if someone out there decides they don't want to go, send me your tickets.

The whole point of starting this thread is that you want Cleveland to hire more of you buddies back to defend the city against the terrorists that are targeting it? Cleveland? We're not talking about NY or DC, but Cleveland? Real nice.

The threat of terrorism should not be used to justify more headcount for your department in CLEVELAND because it's an insult to those that are really affected by it. You don't like the way your government allocates resources? Then vote for somebody else.

Also, cruising forums should not be used to spew xenophobic (sorry, but when you talk about closing borders, it is xenophobia) or beaurecratic propaganda. Take it somewhere else.

34 more days & all of us better be on planes to London to board Connie.......... no jerks are going to wreck our vacations. At least now Alex is a hurricane, so we have that to watch ;-)

Believe me, I am one not to let these jerks wreck anything I do, including work. American Idol arrives today for auditions that has me ready to go DT to direct traffic to Brown's Stadium.

I'm repeating my earlier post.

The matter of the impact of terrorism on leisure activities is a legitimate subject for this Message Board, but please avoid getting into a political argument here. There are plenty of Message Boards out there that discuss politics.

Here we discuss something more interesting (at least to me) than politics, and usually less volatile (unless we're talking about chair hogging)... and that is CRUISING.

Please, NO POLITICS in this thread.

Hi..you know when I posted for all of us to pray for the Marines who were killed...I had some folks critisizing me for posting it.....so it was moved over to Floataway.....

I am not critisizing this thread..but how is it related to Celebrity cruiselines anymore than that topic?

the best idea to "clean up the mess" is thousands of miles of electric fence? nice....

Yes, part of "the mess" is the Southern border. And I am all in favor of a fence, a wall or whatever is needed to keep both the illegals AND the terrorists out (who are probably also illegal).

I live out in the desert, west of Phoenix, close to one of the main smuggling routes. Drugs, trash, theft, people living in the trees by the canal, and terrorists are all part of NOT closing the borders with a fence and part of MY daily life. I resent it a lot.

All this is going on within 20 miles of the largest Nuclear power plant in the US. And 4 other power plants (gas fired). These 5 power plants provide power to 20 million people. It does not take too much imagination to realize that this is a disaster waiting to happen. Don't worry, the reactors are protected, and NO, I don't expect a nuclear accident. What I do worry about is taking out the switch yard or the major overhead transmission lines feeding that power to 20 million people. Those parts of the infrastructure are largely unprotected. Can you imagine 20 million people without power for even a few hours? Chaos and anarchy would result.

We, as a nation, for some odd reason. ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to put in some kind of controls on the Southern border. And WE, as a nation, are NOT doing a good job of stopping "undesirables" at any entry point. If you haven't read this article and the followups, you should. http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/article_landing.aspx?titleid=1&articleid=711

I am not saying the 14 gentlemen were terrorists. But they are now in our country WITH EXPIRED VISA'S. Are we really so naive that we believe every terrorist is on a "watch list"? Food for thought!!!

Archived