Surviving an Inside Cabin

OldCodger73

Specifically we like room service breakfast. Where in an inside cabin would there be room for the tray? On the bed? Snacks in the Neptune Lounge in the afternoon were a high point. Where are snacks available for general passengers between 3 and 4PM? Does anyone have any special tips on what they do when they have an inside cabin to enhance the experience? Can anyone recommend a specific inside cabin/class on the Amsterdam?

The tray can sit on the desk ... or on the bed. I'll be honest, unless you have a sitting area with a sofa, it's gonna be kinda hard to enjoy a full room service breakfast in the cabin. It might be easier just to order your morning coffee and then go up to the Lido for breakfast where you can enjoy it better.

The Lido should have dessert-type food between 3 and 4 PM.

I'm not real good at the categories, but I'd recommend an inside cabin that is designated as a quad ... because then you are sure to have a sitting area with sofa.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Our first HAL cruise many years ago was on the old Rotterdam in an inside with upper and lower bunks. We had a ball. You don't know what small is unless you've spent a week in one of those cabins. Over the years we've cruised inside many times. Had we not we would have missed many great cruises waiting until we could afford outside or balcony. We normally cruise outside now with the occasional balcony but wouldn't hesitate to go inside again if the budget dictated.

I generally cruise inside cabins ... especially when I sail solo. On my last cruise, I shared the cabin with a friend and we had a veranda. You know what? That veranda didn't mean squat to me. I rarely used it. In fact, having it there encouraged us to spend more time in the cabin since whenever we wanted to see what was going on, all we had to do was step out onto the veranda.

Personally, I prefer the inside cabins because they encourage you to get out and about more. If you want a view, you have no choice but to go to an outside deck. As a result, you meet more people and just generally enjoy your cruise more.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Seems strange, but we actually prefer inside cabins. We call it the "cave"; it's very dark, quiet and easier to regulate the cabin temperature.

We had a chance to upgrade to a balcony on our last cruise for $49 each; we took the offer, but spent about 15 total minutes out on the veranda. Our TA called this week to offer to upgrade us from our CAT K inside, to a guarantee OV for less than $100 total (Maasdam) -- we declined.:)

Perhaps that's one of the reasons we can afford to cruise three, or four times a year?? :rolleyes: :)

Enjoy!

Kel

Personally, I prefer the inside cabins because they encourage you to get out and about more. If you want a view, you have no choice but to go to an outside deck. As a result, you meet more people and just generally enjoy your cruise more.Blue skies ...--rita

Rita, I tend to agree with you here. I am alwayas stunned as to how relatively few people are out and about on the VISTA class ships, because the cabins with verandas are less costly and pax cocoon in them. I guess it all comes down to where one is cruising, what one wants out of a cruise and of course, how much one is willing/able to pay for the experience.

I'm with Kelmac. We have been cruising since 1976 and have always booked an inside cabin (as much amidships as possible) because we prefer them. We have been upgraded to an OV several times and didn't see what the big deal is (besides making sure the curtains are closed in port so the passengers on the next ship aren't looking in).

We usually book an inside cabin and enjoy it. DH likes the dark for his afternoon nap! Since I like to be out and about with people,I spend very little time there anyway. We were upgraded twice. The first time was OK - the cabin was just like our previous insides, but with a window. The last time, we had a porthole, but the cabin was so small, DH & I couldn't be in the cabin at the same time!:D When we got home we begged our TA - No more upgrades!!!

Our inside always had a long desk, coffee table and sofa, so there would be room for a tray. We would go to the Lido for breakfast - and usually meet some interesting people, who we would not of met if we had eaten in our cabin!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all your responses.

I really dislike threads where someone asks questions about a choice they're trying to make and then never come back and say what they decided, so I thought I'd let you know what we did.

First of all, the hardest thing I have when it comes to booking a cruise after many years of independent travel is having to make a decision early. It's not like independent traveling where if the place you want to stay is full there's another one nearby. Ships have a definite capacity, once fully booked that's it.

Anyway we diddled around so long in deciding that the 18 May Amsterdam cruise, which was another choice, had no availability while the 25 May Amsterdam was sold out on Inside and Outside with only verandas and suites left. After checking our budget, which has a certain amount of elasticity, we decided to go with a BC guarantee.

We're really looking forward to the cruise. It's going to be great to be able to drive to Pier 30 in under an hour.

DeepwaterMariner, our first cruise was on the old Rotterdam too! I think that's what imprinted HAL on our souls; no other line has been able to please us as much since. We still have our programs, menus, etc. from that trip; so interesting to see how different the printed material, activities, etc. was way back then!

We didn't even pay $ for that cruise--we had enough frequent flyer miles to cover it. And the promotion included a porthole--which we thought was the height of luxury. With young children that we needed to get a sitter for and careers still pretty new, I doubt that we would have taken on the expense, but getting to sample cruising that way caused us to know we were gonna want to do it again and again, which, of course, we have.

Guess my opinion carries no weight now, but I'm glad you booked this cruise. We've done Alaska twice, both times with a verandah. We DID use the verandah's ... we tend to hang out and read or nap, and usually one of us will be gazing out at the sea and spot a whale or something ... it's also nice to wake up and look out ... slow leisurely mornings that way.

THAT said, though, I found Alaska to be sooo beautiful and CONSTANTLY beautiful, that when we weren't in our room, we were up in the Crow's Nest. We practically lived up there, because of the panaromic views and ALL THAT SCENERY. We'd basically just tear ourselves away for meals or to succomb to a much-needed nap. I really think you can't go wrong if you're cruising in Alaska.

Thanks everyone for all your responses.

I really dislike threads where someone asks questions about a choice they're trying to make and then never come back and say what they decided, so I thought I'd let you know what we did.

First of all, the hardest thing I have when it comes to booking a cruise after many years of independent travel is having to make a decision early. It's not like independent traveling where if the place you want to stay is full there's another one nearby. Ships have a definite capacity, once fully booked that's it.

Anyway we diddled around so long in deciding that the 18 May Amsterdam cruise, which was another choice, had no availability while the 25 May Amsterdam was sold out on Inside and Outside with only verandas and suites left. After checking our budget, which has a certain amount of elasticity, we decided to go with a BC guarantee.

We're really looking forward to the cruise. It's going to be great to be able to drive to Pier 30 in under an hour.

Codger, thank you very much for letting us know what cabin you decided to book. This sounds like a great choice, and I hope you and your wife have a lovely cruise on the Amsterdam. I also enjoy being able to drive to the ship.....:)

Karin (doing the Noordam from Seattle this summer)

We always book an inside cabin. Quite a few times we have been upgraded to an outside room but we really prefer the inside for the darkness when we sleep at night or nap during the day. We love being "out" of the cabin most of the time taking part in most daily activities, games, trivia, etc. Also, with us booking inside, it enables us to go on 3 or 4 HAL cruises a year which we would rather do.

We've had an inside cabin once. Didn't like it a swore we'd never do it again. Now I have to admit that even though I still say I didn't like it if I had to choose between inside or home I guess I'd pick inside (but only if I get a great deal)>

No problem for us surviving inside. Sleep in and then stay out. Our second cruise will be in HAL in July to Alaska. The inside cabin is larger than what we had on the Diamond Princess. We will probably think it is luxurious. It has an extra seating area, a loveseat and table so that room service will be possible. I imagine most of us do whatever we can afford and make the best of it.

We are soon sailing with HAL after a few years, and this will be our first inside cabin. We have been "upgraded" to a Category "J" which does look larger than the "N" we were guaranteed. There might be a sofa in the "J" class, yes? Does anyone know for sure? The "J" cabins are way down on the Main Deck, but that's okay. And it looks like the square footage is much larger than the original "N" - about the same size as an outside cabin. That's encouraging.

We are optimistic that the inconveniences will be small compared to the fun of being aboard a HAL vessel again - what a gift!

We have been "upgraded" to a Category "J" . There might be a sofa in the "J" class, yes? Does anyone know for sure?

Which class of ship are you sailing? If it's a J-cat on Main Deck of a Vista you are in either a triple or a quad. Yes, there's a sofa that curves. Not a lot of room on it, but two can sit comfortably. This is a good-sized cabin for two.

Or is it an S- or R-class ship? If so then there is a real couch that does not curve. This is also a large cabin and is very comfortable for two people.

Hi Ruth - thank you for the speedy response! It's on a Vista Class, so it's a J cabin on the Main Deck. So - it sounds pretty sure we'll have a couch and not just one chair, yes? Woo hoo! Room service can be had!

We usually book the least expensive outside, but have done insides on occasion, especially to Alaska where the price diff can be substantial. We have also had the S suite experience. It really makes little difference to us.

One thing we do miss is the light from the window, so we learned a good trick -- leave the TV tuned to the bow cam channel, with the sound off, and it is just like having a porthole!

:) Many thanks - I have booked a inside cabin for our first time. I'm going to use your trick.

TTT

Archived