Beach wedding in St Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am getting married in April 2009 in St. Thomas, and I am also using Leslie from PW of St. Thomas and getting married at Bluebeard Beach. For those of you who have already experienced you cruise/wedding, could you answer some questions for me?

First, did you get ready on the ship or in a room at the ceremony site?

Were you hapy with the way your flowers and cake looked, and did you provide pics of the kind that you wanted ahead of time?

Were you happy with the decorations?

What was the reception site like?

Which photographer did you use?

Were you able to mail favors, etc, to Leslie ahead of time so they could be set our for the reception?

Alcohol was included in the package, right?

The cruise we are going on is Explorer of the Seas and ports of call include San Juan, Charlotte Amalie, Casa de Campo, and Labadee. If anyone has any thoughts/inut about these port of this cruiseship, I would appreciate your opinions as well! Thanks so much!

Esbie11,

I just got off the Explorer and did the same itinerary that you have. We also got married in St Thomas, but on Magens Bay. It was absolutely beautiful and our pictures look like postcards.

As for the islands.. In San Juan you can get off the ship and pay a driver to tour you around the island. You will have more fun and it will cost less money then booking a tour through the ship.

In the Domincan Republic we did a catermeran sail and snorkel to Catalina Island and it was beautiful. Those who traveled into town did not enjoy themselves as they stated that they did not feel safe. I would encourage you to book a tour through the ship for this island.

In Labadee you do not need to purchase an excursion if you enjoy sitting on the beach. The island is gorgeous and the beaches are beautiful. We did the zip line tour on this island. It was fun, but I don't feel it was worth the money. After that we just found a spot on one of the many beaches and enjoyed ourselves. They do provide a bbq lunch on the island that was very good.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Melissa

Esbie11,

We were married in St. Thomas last summer and also used Leslie with Perfect Weddings. She is fantastic. If you tell her what you want, she will make it happen for you. Regarding your questions:

First, did you get ready on the ship or in a room at the ceremony site? Leslie arranged for a room at the ceremony site so the entire bridal party could get ready on site.

Were you hapy with the way your flowers and cake looked, and did you provide pics of the kind that you wanted ahead of time? We were very happy with the flowers and cake that Leslie provided. We did send pics to show what we had in mind and she did the rest.

Were you happy with the decorations? Yes! But again we sent a picture of what we wanted and Leslie took care of the rest.

What was the reception site like? We were married at Secret Harbour and had our reception in the hotel's restaurant right on the beach. It was a typical beachside restaurant but the food was very good and we enjoyed being right on the beach.

Which photographer did you use? Leslie provided the photographer and he was terrific. We had none of the photography problems that you read about so often the this Board. Our pictures were posted online plus we got a CD with all our pictures and didn't have to pay extra for it. We also had friends and family take pictures so we ended up with lots of wonderful pictures.

Were you able to mail favors, etc, to Leslie ahead of time so they could be set our for the reception? One of our friends flew to St.Thomas a couple of days ahead of our wedding and took care of the favors and a few other minor items for us.

Alcohol was included in the package, right? Some alcohol was included in the package but we supplemented what was included by having our friend who flew in early buy more alcohol for us that we kept on the beachfront patio of her room at the hotel. It was easily accessible and kept the party going for a lot less than it would have cost to have more alcohol included in the package.

My best recommendation is just simply to tell Leslie what you want and provide pictures when available. She is fantastic and will get you want. Congratulations and best of luck!

we're getting married Dec 9 '08 in St. Thomas and using Janelle of Island Bliss Weddings. so far, so good. she's been very helpful, and already we've done a lot of emailling and she's given great advice, tips, and ideas even though i let her know we plan to do this very basic (and therefore not spend much money with her!). i'm not positive yet but i think we'll be getting married on Brewer's Bay. we'll have a small group so won't be having a "real" reception after the ceremony, but most likely our small group will head somewhere in the downtown area for lunch and i'm sure she'll help me choose a great place. :)

We too are planning with Janelle of Island Bliss. Does anyone have experience dealing with Island Bliss? Our wedding is planned for Feb 09. We will have a small group attending (6-8 people). I think we are going to have a beach dinner following the ceremony. Has anyone else done that? Has anyone else heard of Blue Havana? I understand that they do beach dinners.

Hi there....we used Cheryl at VI Weddings and I have to tell you, it was the most stress free and amazing day. Being from another country, it is always a scary experience dealing with someone you have never met and you always have seeds of doubts as to whether you are getting involved with a company that may not deliver the goods on your special day. That in itself would be disasterous wouldn't it? I have to tell you, Cheryl made it more then we could have ever hoped. The setting on Megan's Bay beach was awesome, the service was elegant, and the photographer made us feel so comfortable. Cheryl was extremely helpful with all of her questions to ensure we got exactly what we wanted and she delivered it all with such ease.

If any of you ever want to get married in St Thomas, I would highly recommend Cheryl hands-down.

Anybody wanting to know more can e-mail me at grant_furlotte@hotmail.com and I will gladly answer any questions.

Grant

• 3 weeks later...

Monica you are my wedding twin! We're also getting married Dec. 9th and Janelle is our planner too (our wedding will be later in the day than yours though). It's too bad that we won't be on the same ship though! We're going to be on the Carnival Freedom. How is your planning going? I haven't decided for sure which beach we're going to use, but I did get my photographer booked. That's most of the planning since our wedding is just going to be the two of us. Nice to meet you btw!

Also I would recommend Janelle to anyone looking for a planner in St. Thomas -- She has been awesome and responds to my emails so quickly. Her prices are *great* and she will do anything you ask of her!

-- Ashley

Monica you are my wedding twin! We're also getting married Dec. 9th and Janelle is our planner too (our wedding will be later in the day than yours though). It's too bad that we won't be on the same ship though! We're going to be on the Carnival Freedom. How is your planning going? I haven't decided for sure which beach we're going to use, but I did get my photographer booked. That's most of the planning since our wedding is just going to be the two of us. Nice to meet you btw!

Also I would recommend Janelle to anyone looking for a planner in St. Thomas -- She has been awesome and responds to my emails so quickly. Her prices are *great* and she will do anything you ask of her!

-- Ashley

wow! how neat. it's looking like our ceremony is going to be about 11am. will you get to have yours near sunset? that was my ideal, but our ship is only there 7am-5pm so of course we can't do that. i'm excited though, and i agree that Janelle is great. i've had her booked since January and have bugged her with random questions probably least 3 or 4 times a month since then and she's always so quick to respond as well as patient and helpful. i think we're doing our ceremony on Brewer's Bay, mostly because it's one of the few that doesn't have an extra site fee, and from what i've read it's practically empty on weekdays, so we should have our area to ourselves, hopefully (biggest fear of a beach wedding - after bad weather i suppose! - would have to be goofy tourists in unflattering swimsuits in the background of photos! ha). which photographer are you using? at first we'd planned to just have Janelle take photos and then give us the CD of images, but i'm thinking i'd rather go with a professional photographer. Janelle has suggested Dow Studios but i'm not too sure yet. are you using her husband (Rev Scott from USVI Services) as your officiant as well? i haven't communicated with him yet although she told me to get in touch with him when i am ready to discuss specifics of the wording of the ceremony. i've read on this board and elsewhere that he's great as well.

it's so neat that we're doing it the same day and using the same planner! we chose that day because it's the anniversary of when we started dating (this year will be 4 years), so we'll keep the same anniversary even after we're married. congrats! and sorry for the hijack everyone... although it is in relation to St. Thomas weddings! :p

wow! how neat. it's looking like our ceremony is going to be about 11am. will you get to have yours near sunset? that was my ideal, but our ship is only there 7am-5pm so of course we can't do that. i'm excited though, and i agree that Janelle is great. i've had her booked since January and have bugged her with random questions probably least 3 or 4 times a month since then and she's always so quick to respond as well as patient and helpful. i think we're doing our ceremony on Brewer's Bay, mostly because it's one of the few that doesn't have an extra site fee, and from what i've read it's practically empty on weekdays, so we should have our area to ourselves, hopefully (biggest fear of a beach wedding - after bad weather i suppose! - would have to be goofy tourists in unflattering swimsuits in the background of photos! ha). which photographer are you using? at first we'd planned to just have Janelle take photos and then give us the CD of images, but i'm thinking i'd rather go with a professional photographer. Janelle has suggested Dow Studios but i'm not too sure yet. are you using her husband (Rev Scott from USVI Services) as your officiant as well? i haven't communicated with him yet although she told me to get in touch with him when i am ready to discuss specifics of the wording of the ceremony. i've read on this board and elsewhere that he's great as well.

it's so neat that we're doing it the same day and using the same planner! we chose that day because it's the anniversary of when we started dating (this year will be 4 years), so we'll keep the same anniversary even after we're married. congrats! and sorry for the hijack everyone... although it is in relation to St. Thomas weddings! :p

Hi Monica!

I was actually hoping to do our ceremony early in the morning but Janelle said that she thought her morning was already booked (with you, I'm assuming!) so we could do it after noon, or very early (as soon as the ship docks, which we are still considering). The issue I have with doing it that early is that I'm not sure when the spa opens on the ship so I'm not sure what time I can have my hair done. We haven't really decided on a beach. We were originally planning to do it on St. John, then we decided St. Thomas would be less trouble and decided on Bluebeard's, but now I'm leaning more toward Lindquist because it is so secluded and both Janelle and our photographer (Eric Johnson of paradise pictures) say great things about it.

If you want I can send you the rate sheet that has most of the photographers on the island, or Janelle can send it to you. Eric wasn't the cheapest, but I really liked his work and everyone says great things about him.

Just email me if you have any questions -- ashleycharee @ gmail . com

Again, sorry to hijack the thread! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used "Island Wedding Services" as their coordinator for a St. Thomas Wedding? I was looking at their website and found that their prices are very reasonable. If you have used them how was your experience??

I have not heard of Island Wedding Services, but I have heard many good things about several wedding coordinators in St. Thomas. I am using Leslie from Perfect Weddings of St. Thomas, but several other girls are using other WCs there and have had good experiences with them as well. I have never heard of Island Wedding Services before though.

Ok I just found this thread and read the entire thing. You all have so much good info but now I'm more confused:confused: . We are not cruising until Dec. 2009 on the Carnival Freedom and are planning a vow renewal with family and friends. I am/was leaning towards Weddings the Island Way but now will check out a couple of the others mentioned. Thank you. My biggest dilemma is which beach (although we love Magens Bay) since we want it in the afternoon around 3:30 or so...any suggestions for a quieter beach? Also, many of you have pics of yours that I would love to see...could you email some to me or post on this thread? wilson1@hickorytech.net

Thanks so much:)!

So I finally booked my Cruise and am so excited. I went with Carnival on their new ship the Freedom. The cruise is in April 08. Now I need to plan my wedding. I want to have it on the beach of St Thomas. Has anyone had a wedding on the beach? Who did you use? What location? I was looking at WTIW or Island Bliss. Any feedback would be great :D

Chicagogirl, I don't know if you're still viewing this but I was wondering who you went with for your wedding planner? How did it all go?

Ok I just found this thread and read the entire thing. You all have so much good info but now I'm more confused:confused: . We are not cruising until Dec. 2009 on the Carnival Freedom and are planning a vow renewal with family and friends. I am/was leaning towards Weddings the Island Way but now will check out a couple of the others mentioned. Thank you. My biggest dilemma is which beach (although we love Magens Bay) since we want it in the afternoon around 3:30 or so...any suggestions for a quieter beach? Also, many of you have pics of yours that I would love to see...could you email some to me or post on this thread? wilson1@hickorytech.net

Thanks so much:)!

As far as the beach destination, I was told by my WC that Magen's Bay is usually VERY busy and crowded (since it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, I guess everyone wants to see it!). This is particularly true when all of the cruiseships are docked because that is where many passengers go. However, if you have your heart set on MB, I would do that. I am getting married at Secret Harbour. I have heard that this is a somewhat secluded beach (however the guests staying at that resort will be using it). I don't know that you will ever be able to find a beach where it is only you and your guests. To some extent this also depends on what WC you use. I believe certain WCs usually stick to certain beaches/areas, but they would probably try their best to accommodate what you want. I would call some WCs and tell them what you want, and see what they suggest. :)

Hello,

I was married on Bluebeard's Beach last August. My guests had cocktails and cake while at the site. Our guest were enjoying themselves at bar area while we were taking photos. The site had a shaded outside dining area as well as bar. It was quite intimate with a beautiful view of the water. After wards, we headed into town for a lunch reception at Cuzzin's restaurant. However, if I could do it again, I would've had a lunch reception on the beach.

We would have saved a lot of time and money had we stayed on the beach rather than paying a guide to take us into town. It would have also allowed us to spend more time together.

Wishing you the best,

April:)

Hi April, Any chance you could email me some of your wedding photos on Bluebeard's Beach? I am trying to decide which beach on St. Thomas to have our vow renewal. I would so appreciate it! wilson1@hickorytech.net

Hi Ashley85 and Monlyba!

I'm also using Janelle with Island Bliss. She has been absolutely wonderful!!! We are getting married on October 29th at about 11:30am. We really wanted to get married on St. John, but we thought it was going to be too much of a hassle, so we decided to reduce the stress and get married on St. Thomas. We are going to be in port from 7am-5pm. Janelle recommended Lindquist Beach as one of the most beautiful beaches on St. Thomas. It's one of the more secluded beaches on the island.

So, what are you doing about your hair and makeup? How about transportation to the beach? There are 7 of us going, so we thought a rental car would be the least expensive way to go. I'm still trying to work out the logistics of the day. I know my fiance will have to see me when we get our marriage license, but I don't want him to see me again until I walk down the "aisle" on the beach.

We are using Blue Glass Photography and HiDef Video. Both have been very helpful and prompt with responses. Everything seems to be falling into place.

Hi Ashley85 and Monlyba!

I'm also using Janelle with Island Bliss. She has been absolutely wonderful!!! We are getting married on October 29th at about 11:30am. We really wanted to get married on St. John, but we thought it was going to be too much of a hassle, so we decided to reduce the stress and get married on St. Thomas. We are going to be in port from 7am-5pm. Janelle recommended Lindquist Beach as one of the most beautiful beaches on St. Thomas. It's one of the more secluded beaches on the island.

So, what are you doing about your hair and makeup? How about transportation to the beach? There are 7 of us going, so we thought a rental car would be the least expensive way to go. I'm still trying to work out the logistics of the day. I know my fiance will have to see me when we get our marriage license, but I don't want him to see me again until I walk down the "aisle" on the beach.

We are using Blue Glass Photography and HiDef Video. Both have been very helpful and prompt with responses. Everything seems to be falling into place.

Hey Caligirl75! Congrats :) I have no idea what I'm going to do about my hair and makeup yet. Should I use the ship spa or a local salon? I don't know yet... Janelle is going to pick us up from the ship and take us to the courthouse and to the beach, but there are just two of us, I don't know if she could handle seven.

Keep me updated with how your planning goes. Since we're eloping I don't have a lot to plan so I like to live vicariously through everyone else's wedding plans! haha :)

cruisintink -

The wedding was more then I could have asked for. I went through Marriotts Frenchmans Morning Star Resort. The coordinator was April and she was wonderful. Here are some pics to give you an idea.

Thanks for the Pics! It sure looks like you had a wonderful time. Nothing more perfect than a beach ceremony! I'm still checking into some WC and getting prices. Wish me luck!

Hey Caligirl75! Congrats :) I have no idea what I'm going to do about my hair and makeup yet. Should I use the ship spa or a local salon? I don't know yet... Janelle is going to pick us up from the ship and take us to the courthouse and to the beach, but there are just two of us, I don't know if she could handle seven.

Keep me updated with how your planning goes. Since we're eloping I don't have a lot to plan so I like to live vicariously through everyone else's wedding plans! haha :)

I think there are pros and cons to getting your hair done on the ship and in port. I was worried that the salon wouldn't open early enough to do my hair plus my two flower girls.

I think it's great that Janelle is picking you guys up! That will make for a stress free day!

I'll definitely keep you posted.....you keep me posted also. Since my wedding is in October, I will have lots of info to share with you just in time for your wedding.

So, we don't "hog" this thread, here's my e-mail address: Caligrl75@hotmail.com.

Hello,

I was married on Bluebeard's Beach last August. My guests had cocktails and cake while at the site. Our guest were enjoying themselves at bar area while we were taking photos. The site had a shaded outside dining area as well as bar. It was quite intimate with a beautiful view of the water. After wards, we headed into town for a lunch reception at Cuzzin's restaurant. However, if I could do it again, I would've had a lunch reception on the beach.

We would have saved a lot of time and money had we stayed on the beach rather than paying a guide to take us into town. It would have also allowed us to spend more time together.

Wishing you the best,

April:)

April, What time in the morning did you start your ceremony? Also, how crowded was the beach? I just can't decide between Bluebeard's and Magen's...I've been to Magen's so I know how beautiful it is but like how Bluebeard's has the bar you mentioned (never been there so not sure what to expect). Help?

Chenoa (otherwise known as Cruisintink)

Hi Ashley85 and Monlyba!

I am thinking about emailing Janelle but was just wondering if you mind telling me about Blue Glass Photography? I checked their website and think they look great but am wondering if you could share any info like the cost, how many pics they said they would take, and if you can purchase a disc of pics? Thanks.

Archived