Hal Changed Our Alaskan Cruise In June

bigred12

Haven't been yet (going in May) but I hear most ships can't go to Glacier Bay as they only issue a certain number of passes a year. Sounds like HAL got a few more than they were expecting. I can't wait to spend an entire day looking for whales and glacier calvings!!:D :D :D I'm assuming GB is better than TA but I could be wrong.

I've been to Tracy Arm and am scheduled to go to Glacier Bay in May, so I can't give you a comparison yet. Tracy Arm is beautiful, but the problem with it is that the cruise ships frequently can't get to the upper end of the fjord, when the glaciers are located. If there's too much ice, you may not ever get within viewing distance of the Sawyer Glaciers.

Glacier Bay, as I understand, has multiple glaciers, and doesn't have the same geological structure that prevents you from getting close enough to see them. If you're interested at all in seeing the glaciers, this is a great itinerary switch.

Big Red:

I'm assuming you're on the Amsterdam June 1-8 itinerary from Seattle? As Sake Dad indicated, Holland America was awarded an extra permit this year for Glacier Bay, and decided to use it for your cruise. There is a limit to the number of ships that may cruise Glacier Bay each summer. In my opinion, you got lucky:)

Karin, I was about to post those very words: "You got lucky"! :)

One of those "Great minds think alike" things?

I was at both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay on my Alaska cruise last July. Since I had never been to Tracy Arm before I did enjoy it, but it was not as good as Glacier Bay was. We didn't get anywhere near close to Sawyer Glacier.

In the past I've been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier (three times at Hubbard), and I wasn't as awed by Glacier Bay as I have been in the past, but it was still spectacular.

In the past I've been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier (three times at Hubbard), and I wasn't as awed by Glacier Bay as I have been in the past, but it was still spectacular.

I agree.

If you wanna see a REAL glacier - go to Hubbard!

;)

I've not done Tracy Arm but have seen Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Hubbard is unbelievable in size and scope and the sound the ship makes as it passes among the ice floes is indescribable however I thought Glacier Bay had the most wonderful views I've ever seen. There was constant calving of the glaciers and we were so close you felt you could touch them. I think you were lucky to have your itinerary changed.

Happy Traveling

St. Louis Sal

Tracy Arm is beautiful. It is a deep fjord with striking scenery all the way up. There are often bright blue chunks of glacial ice floating in it. Seals and dolphins are fairly common, and sometimes whales. At the very end of the arm are the "Twin Sawyer Glaciers" which are very nice but frankly -- not impressive.

Glacier Bay is a World Heritage Site and well deserves to be! It is absolutely stunning, and basically incomparable. There are a number of wonderful glaciers, along with beautiful scenery. Orcas are seen occasionally, and seals are plentiful. The most famous glacier is Margerie, and normally the ship will spend an hour or more in front of it.

On Zuiderdam last year we visited both of them so you can see a very good comparison here:

The Halls Cruise to Alaska

I would much prefer Glacier Bay. As said above, "You got lucky!"

Have a GREAT cruise!

We go to do both this past september. We weren't able to go all the way in to Tracy Arm because of the ice that was blocking the enterance and we had to turn around. It was beautiful what I saw of it but in my opinion Glacier Bay IS AMAZING it's a must see in itself. You should be very happy that you got this luck to be able to see it. You will not be disappointed at all!

If this is your first cruise to Alaska you will be impressed with any of the tidewater glaciers. The Hubbard and Columbia are the biggest tidewater glaciers but many times the ships cannot go close due to ice in the water. Glacier Bay is beautiful and you will enjoy the expirience. Have a great cruise.

I have been to Glacier Bay but heard that Hubbard is better...
I've been to Hubbard, and was impressed, and am looking forward to seeing G.B. this Sept. :) If you have the 2007 HAL book "Alaska & the Yukon Cruises and Cruise Tours", compare the pictures on pages 86 and 88. Hubbard is much larger than any of the G.B. glaciers.

We have taken two trips to Alaska (both May 22-29). We went to Tracy Arm for our first cruise and could not get too far in due to ice, a bit of a disappointment. Next cruise we went to Glacier Bay and College Fjords and saw a little calving in Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay was beautiful and we really enjoyed cruising it. For our next cruise we want to go to Hubbard. Hoping 3rd time's a charm for calving. --I know calving is a hit or miss situation but a girl can dream can't she? :)

For our next cruise we want to go to Hubbard. Hoping 3rd time's a charm for calving. --I know calving is a hit or miss situation but a girl can dream can't she? :)

Four summers ago, we stopped at Hubbard and stayed for several hours, up close and personal. It was very active and is one of the most memorable experience ever. Hope your dream comes true:)!

Four summers ago, we stopped at Hubbard and stayed for several hours, up close and personal. It was very active and is one of the most memorable experience ever. Hope your dream comes true:)!

Thanks for the good wishes. Do you happen to remember what month the Hubbard calving took place? Also, did you see the calving from your cabin or up on deck? Thinking we probably should leave the balcony during the Hubard cruising time. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the good wishes. Do you happen to remember what month the Hubbard calving took place? Also, did you see the calving from your cabin or up on deck? Thinking we probably should leave the balcony during the Hubard cruising time. Any thoughts?

This particular sailing was mid June. We watched it from our balcony, then the Captain turned the ship and we went up on deck. We were there a long time and what I did not like about being on deck was people pushing their way to the rail with cameras and video equipment with little regard for those in "their" way.

We saw quite a bit of calving activity in July '02. I'm not sure if all the ships do it this way, but the Amsterdam stopped with the bow facing the glacier for about two hours, so you definitely want to be up on the sports or sky deck, able to see to both sides, not just on your own balcony. Of course some wimps just stayed in the Crow's Nest, but there you don't get as much of the sound.

We saw quite a bit of calving activity in July '02. I'm not sure if all the ships do it this way, but the Amsterdam stopped with the bow facing the glacier for about two hours, so you definitely want to be up on the sports or sky deck, able to see to both sides, not just on your own balcony. Of course some wimps just stayed in the Crow's Nest, but there you don't get as much of the sound.

Drats...so since I have an aft balcony, I would only be looking at floating pieces of ice from previous calving if I tried to stay in my cabin....sigh.... :(

Too bad they don't pivot the ship for a 360 degree view! But I suppose a lot of ice cubey things would be making their crashing appearance on the hull.

Cheers! :)

Archived