Mercury DryDock & Refurb?

DaisyGirl55

Is Mercury still scheduled for a very short drydock/refurb next month in April? I remember reading about it, but I also saw a printout from the cruiselines stating that much of the improvements to the ship are being made ongoing as the ship cruises its regular schedule.

Just wasn't sure since May is the start of the Alaska season, and April's timeframe would make sense.

Is Mercury still scheduled for a very short drydock/refurb next month in April? I remember reading about it, but I also saw a printout from the cruiselines stating that much of the improvements to the ship are being made ongoing as the ship cruises its regular schedule.

Just wasn't sure since May is the start of the Alaska season, and April's timeframe would make sense.

Below is a link to the info on her drydock and work being done on her in both 2006 and 2007. The April drydock is mentioned with an explanation of the purpose of drydocks.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/celebrity/General_info/Flyers/07007006_MR_Refurbishment.pdf

So, according to the link posted, everything that the Captain's Club Host and Future Cruise Manager told us would be done when we sailed last summer is on the list. Sounds like we will have a pretty new ship when we sail B2B down under cruises next Feb...we couldn't be happier!!

We'll be on Mercury 4/27, after the dry dock. I'll report our findings when we return. We took one of the FO cabins, that will have a new balcony attached. I'm looking forward to seeing how that cabin turned out.

Karyn

So, according to the link posted, everything that the Captain's Club Host and Future Cruise Manager told us would be done when we sailed last summer is on the list. Sounds like we will have a pretty new ship when we sail B2B down under cruises next Feb...we couldn't be happier!!

Hope everything works out for you, looks like some nice changes...

Hi, just home from a FANTASTIC FUN FILLED 8 night

cruise on Mercury:D

She is going to be in San Fransisco for 1 week starting on April 13th.

New carpets...maintenance, etc.....

Cruise Director is Jeff Potts. I met him last year on Zenith.

Got home last night about midnight..waaaa.......I want

to be back on the ship:(

Hi, Lois,

I'm glad you're back safe and sound! I can't wait to read all about your cruise and see PHOTOS!

Isn't it the WORST feeling getting OFF the ship <g>? I always go through post-cruise depression. Luckily, you cruise often ... so you can start planning your NEXT adventure.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say hello and welcome back.

Lynn

Hi, Lois,

I'm really trying, but it's hard to be sympathetic when you already have another cruise planned <g>. I'm just kidding! That's the best thing to do. I know exactly how you feel. Once my second foot crosses the threshold and I'm officially ON the ship, I feel like every care and weight of everyday life disappear. It's such a perfect form of fun and escapism. I can't wait for May!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read about your having 7 past waiters on this cruise. That is UNBELIEVABLE. I can just imagine how excited you were. This will be our fourth cruise with a cruise director we love. It's such an incredible feeling to "know" some people on the ship.

I've never tried Celebrity, but you sure make it sound wonderful!!! Maybe one of these days ...

Lynn

I hope they clean this ship up..... I just got off on Monday and it's a mess. I was a big fan of Mercury and was VERY disappointed with the state of it. It's really too bad as I can't believe this cruise line doesn't have the money to fix this ship up. It used to be really nice. I think all the bleach from the norovirus disease has ruined it. The staterooms are terrible... our TV and Phone didn't even work. The shower was stained with mold. Don't even consider checking your account or ordering room service. (housekeeping never answers the phone). The room attendent just shrugged and said... oh well.... they never fix anything so there is no reason to even check!!!

I hope they clean this ship up..... I just got off on Monday and it's a mess. I was a big fan of Mercury and was VERY disappointed with the state of it. It's really too bad as I can't believe this cruise line doesn't have the money to fix this ship up. It used to be really nice. I think all the bleach from the norovirus disease has ruined it. The staterooms are terrible... our TV and Phone didn't even work. The shower was stained with mold. Don't even consider checking your account or ordering room service. (housekeeping never answers the phone). The room attendent just shrugged and said... oh well.... they never fix anything so there is no reason to even check!!!

Sorry you had such a horrible time:(

My phone worked, my cabin was clean, my tv worked, my shower

was clean. I am still a big fan of Mercury.:)

we are leaving next Friday on the Mercury & I have been so looking forward to cruising with Celebrity (first time). I surely hope that it's not as bad as it sounds.

Hi,:) bad? They were trying to keep the ship as clean as they

could for us.

My phone worked, cabin was clean, no mold in my shower.

Yes they were bleaching but in my opinion it didn't come close

to ruining my cruise.

If I could sail her this summer to Alaska I would go

again. Its not the ship keeping me away...but my budget;)

I hope you have a wonderful time:) tell Juro in the Martini

Bar Lois says a BIG HELLO please:D

Our cabin was spotless, T.V. to check accounts worked. In fact,nothing was wrong in our cabin. 3 other couples we were sailing with on 3 other decks never complained . You could see where they had sprayed the cleaner but that never bothered us, because it was to keep the Noro at bay.

Just heard of one injury....a guy flipped his ATV on a tour and injured his leg. No sickness at all. That was a relief after all I had read on CC before our cruise.

Go on Mercury. She is a terrific ship.

I guess my experience shows that it really depends on where you are on the ship etc. I'm not sure how big of a deal one should make about things like the TV and Phone. We didn't want to spend hours discussing it with staff etc... so we just lived with it. We may be spoiled by the newer RCCI and Princess ships that we've cruised on the last year or so. We were on Mercury 3 years ago this same week and there was a huge difference...we all noticed. It's not a horrible ship... just dated/worn and need of an update.

• 4 weeks later...
Updates, anyone?

gillian, this is the 1st cruise sailing after her week in drydock.

Maybe everyone is having such a fabulous time they

don't care to check in on here;):D

That is what happened for me. I sailed last month and

it was probably in my top 3 of the cruises with Celebrity.

I never checked in from the ship.

After re-reading this thread, you will notice there

are many differences of opinion about this ship.

Even if they hadn't put her in drydock I would have sailed

again. Wish I could find an Alaskan cruise this summer!

I would be on her in heartbeat.:) My budget won't allow it though....

Oh thought I would tell you, your name is beautiful!

Good morning:) I know you are seeing the 27th on the cam but

I have friends sailing her now:)

That 27th is funky.....that showed up when she did her last sailing out of San Diego

and went north to SF.

If you look at the ROLL CALLS there is a big one for April 20th.

Oh Don, someone had posted a photo of the ship sailing out of

San Francisco on Friday too:D but I can't recall which CCr did it!

So whoever is updating the webcams needs to correct the date

on there:eek:

I spoke to a Celebrity rep on the phone last week and she stated that the Mercury will be getting the same updates as the Century. Looking at the schedule there are no cruises scheduled for the month of April in 2008 so I would assume she should be in drydock then.

Archived