Costly mistake when booking air

Jess777

:( I made a terrible mistake, I booked my air on my own through Delta on the internet for the outbound flight for the wrong day the return was correct but the other was'nt. I noticed the mistake a week too late ( I have always booked my own without a problem until now). The customer service rep told me, if I have noticed the problem that same day there would'nt have been a fee a ($50 per ticket fee) charge. So I had to pay it and luckily there was'nt and increase on the new outbond flight. I have trip insurance I wanted to know if there is anyway I can get my $100 back from them or I supose its a hard lessen to learn for being careless.

This doesn't trap all errors, but one piece of advice I always give (to myself, as well as others) is to check the day of the week that the website is quoting you for your flights. If you've made an error with the date, in most cases the wrong day of the week will be showing, thus alerting you to the fact that something's wrong.

Last week I made a business mistake that cost me $16,000. That upset me for a whole day.

I'll pay for your mistake if you pay for mine.

Thanks for putting it into perspective....I'll decline the trade, at least for now. When I make a whopper of my own, I'll give you a ring.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this just happened to me and Airtran charged me the $60 change fee even though I had just booked the flight 4 hours earlier! I discovered the mistake when I went to email my itinerary to my daughter in ATL. Spoke with 2 different customer service reps and a supervisor without success :mad:

Nomally I fly Delta but the fares were so much higher for this trip.....

I thought you could cancel within 48 hours without penalty for any airline ... a cold-feet contract clause.

Most airlines 24 hours. You have to cancel and rebook to change the flights for free generally. And a big caveat: you may not be able to book the "cheapie" again.

It may be sold out or was only good for a few hours.

Most airlines 24 hours.

Be careful - not ALL airlines. Greatam has a good point in that 'most' airlines have the 24 hour (or midnight next day) cancel policies. However, some do not, including US Airways.

Caveat emptor - always good to check before one sends their money off.

That happened to me as well. I got a REALLY REALLY good price for our flight in July and then noticed weeks later that my return flight was for our last sea day! I had no choice but to eat that change fee. So much for saving a buck. I've learned to check and double check before I commit now.

Kim

Archived