shorts in the dining room

Hello,

I am little confused about RCIs policy about shorts in the dining room for dinner, and also what is actually enforced.

On RCIs website it says that shorts are not allowed in the dining room at dinner. This seems cut and dry, and a rule as opposed to a guidline or "suggested attire". However, I have also read on these boards that there are a lot of shorts seen in the dining room. So is this rule listed on the webiste out of date or is it just not enforced or what?

If it is actually the rule, I have to say that I don't mind having that rule, however it seems like a fairly lame attempt to keep people looking decent at dinner. We are going on the Sovereign of the Seas for a 4-night cruise to the Bahamas at the end of April and when I told my bf (who lives in shorts when the sun is out btw) that he would have to wear pants in the dining room he was pretty peeved, and he also raised a good point: does this mean that he can wear sweatpants or ripped up old jeans to the dining room because they are technically pants but not his khaki shorts and a golf shirt because shorts don't look good? Not that he would do this, but is this not what this rule implies? I think this rule is kind of vague and not inclusive... could it not be more like a nice golf course where they do not allow jeans or cutoffs or athletic bottoms, not matter whether they are shorts or pants? Personally I would rather see him in a pair of khaki shorts for dinner than sweatpants but that's just me. It also seems kind of crazy that he can't wear a nice pair of shorts but I can wear a short skirt no problem.

Anyways, sorry the rant. I just think that rule needs to be changed or clarified or something. If anyone could let me know how this plays out in real life on the Sovereign, or on RCI in general, that would be great. Thanks!

A gentleman at our dining table came to dinner in shorts. Nothing was said, and as soon as he was seated, no one would have known. Same man also wore shirts with no collar ( although they weren't advertising t shirts :) ) I do believe there is very little policing of their written policies - at least from what we observed in Feb.

I also would prefer to see the nice shorts, golf type shirt instead of the sweatpants and whatever fits with them.

Older customs have certainly been relaxed in the last few years, and that disappoints the traditionalist in me.

We have been on the Sovereign a few times. I don't think I have ever seen shorts at dinner. Now I will say, especially on the 3 night, formal night is not nearly as formal as on a 7 night (we never dress up on formal on a 3 night, but just wear what we normally do on other nights). That being said, most men wear nice slacks and either button down polos or silk shirts or something of that nature. I doubt you will see few, if anyone, in shorts. I don't know how hard they enforce the policy since my DH always wears nice slacks to dinner.

The idea is to have a certain sense of decorum in the dining room. Left to their own devices, some folks would have no more sense than to come in wet bathing suits! You'll find the dressing guidelines in several different spots - sometimes they are couched with terms such as "guidelines" or "suggested" othertimes they are simply stated ". . . are not allowed".

I am generally one to jump in on the side of, hey if you look 'nice' I don't care what you might be wearing - but the adolescent rant of "well then maybe I should just wear ripped up sweatpants" hit a nerve! I have a pre-teen daughter and another teen who lives with us "part time" - they make arguments such that I've felt like Clarence Darrow at times. Just because the dress suggestions does not strictly probit coming to the dining room in your SCUBA gear with flippers, does not make it permissible to do so!

Your boyfriend should dress for dinner in such a manner that he shows respect for his fellow guests and for the waitstaff. I sometimes think the reason that the cruise lines keep the temps SO low in the dining rooms is to get some folks to cover up and show some decorum! :)

Your boyfriend should dress for dinner in such a manner that he shows respect for his fellow guests and for the waitstaff. :)

Very well said. I couldn't agree with more. If he doesn't want to wear pants then the windjammer or Johnny rockets are both open to serve him food.

Requiring pants at dinner (and what a shame this has to be explicitly stated, but I digress) does not imply that ripped jeans or sweat pants are appropriate. Nice try, though :rolleyes:

There are other venues available if "big boy" pants are too much trouble...

Shorts are allowed the first night though, aren't they?? I thought the first night is a come as you are since a lot of people might not have their luggage by main seating.

I guess if you don't have your luggage that is acceptable. However, if you are fortunate enough to have your luggage prior to dinner, then why not change??

When we were on the Freedom last September, there was a guy who appeared to be in his late 20s who wore shorts and Reefs (flip flops) to dinner every night. I personally like to get dressed up for dinner and most of the people who sat around us were dressed up for dinner. I thought he looked out of place but that's just my opinion. I like the atmosphere of the dining room when everyone is dressed up. I think the type of dress you described for your husband sounds fine but unfortunately not everyone who wears shorts would dress the same. The guy who sat next to us had cargo type shorts on and a non-collared t-shirt. Not very appropriate in my opinion. I am taking my 19 year old son on his first 7-night cruise in May and I told him the dress code is suit and tie for formal nights and Dockers and a polo shirt for non-formal nights. I don't care what he changes into after dinner. Not to much to ask for in my opinion. Have a great cruise! The 4-night Sovereign cruise was my first cruise and got me "hooked".

OK I will probably get flamed even more for this, but could you guys get off your high horses and just listen to the question before jumping down my throat?

I said in my original question that if this is the rule I am fine with that, but I was a bit confused by the rule since it seems so vague and I am hearing different reports about what actually goes on on the ships.

I'm not trying to get away with anything, and I'm certainly not suggesting that he go in ripped jeans just because the rule does not mention that this isn't allowed. In fact, I believe I said that he would not go dressed this way, I just think it is silly that the rule is stated in such a way that it disallows shorts but does not disallow other types of inappropriate attire. No, I don't think they should include scuba gear in their list of no no's, but they do say that you are not allowed to wear swimsuits and it doesn't say anything about jeans. Just my personal opinion but if we are all about wanting people to look nice and show decorum, I would rather see khaki shorts and a golf shirt for dinner than jeans and a t-shirt. But if the rules are not this way then they are not this way.

I'm sorry but I had a genuine question and was (and am) genuinely confused and was legitimately seeking clarification. If people can't ask questions then what are these boards here for? Or are there only certain things that people can ask about?

If anyone else would actually like to answer this question in a way that is not insulting or accusatory that would be great. And thank you to those who have been courteous enough to do this already.

I guess if you don't have your luggage that is acceptable. However, if you are fortunate enough to have your luggage prior to dinner, then why not change??

Never said we wouldn't change, have just read in many, many threads that day one is a come as you are dinner. Yes, if we do have our luggage, we will change but I don't want to make my 16 yr old wear pants if, as I have seen many times, day one is come as you are.

What are the dress codes onboard?s.gifA: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

I, and a lot of others, have always worn shorts to the Dining Room, I normally wear Dress Shorts, with a nice collared shirt. When I am sitting, you can't tell if I have shorts on, pants on, or am naked from the waist down. I would never wear swim shorts or short shorts to the Dining room, and as for formal nights, on 7 day cruises is it either a suit or tux, on a 3 night I have been known to wear dockers, shirt and tie, but no jacket.

To all those who want to flame me, sorry. No one has ever commented on my lack of recommended attire whilst on a ship.

OK I will probably get flamed even more for this, but could you guys get off your high horses and just listen to the question before jumping down my throat?

I said in my original question that if this is the rule I am fine with that, but I was a bit confused by the rule since it seems so vague and I am hearing different reports about what actually goes on on the ships.

I'm not trying to get away with anything, and I'm certainly not suggesting that he go in ripped jeans just because the rule does not mention that this isn't allowed. In fact, I believe I said that he would not go dressed this way, I just think it is silly that the rule is stated in such a way that it disallows shorts but does not disallow other types of inappropriate attire. No, I don't think they should include scuba gear in their list of no no's, but they do say that you are not allowed to wear swimsuits and it doesn't say anything about jeans. Just my personal opinion but if we are all about wanting people to look nice and show decorum, I would rather see khaki shorts and a golf shirt for dinner than jeans and a t-shirt. But if the rules are not this way then they are not this way.

I'm sorry but I had a genuine question and was (and am) genuinely confused and was legitimately seeking clarification. If people can't ask questions then what are these boards here for? Or are there only certain things that people can ask about?

If anyone else would actually like to answer this question in a way that is not insulting or accusatory that would be great. And thank you to those who have been courteous enough to do this already.

Princess402:

I'm with you. I have no idea why some people on these boards feel the need to "jump down everyone's throat" about certain questions. (especially dress code questions)

I understand your question, and the simple answer is, it is a very vague dress code. It allows people to form their own opinion and do their own thing, which, leaves everything open to discussion. (including some fit-throwing) ;)

I, for one, wear a suit to work every day and hate getting dressed up for dinner on vacation. I take the same approach to summer as your boyfriend. I wear khakis to dinner except for formal nights, when my wife and I go the windjammer.

Don't let some people on these boards get to you, just do whatever you think is right, and more importantly, whatever you feel comfortable doing!! Its all about the person, not the level of dress in the dining room of a cruise ship!!

i am pretty sure it says somewhere- no jeans in the dining room- am betting no sweats would be understood since it is the formal dining room-

i don't care what anyone wears- i would not even notice probably- would just be glad to be on the silly cruise......period- we do dress for dinner tho....

Sorry Princess, didn't mean to flame you I was just tossin out my monday funny! :p My suggestion is to dress for dinner each evening as RCI requests in the compass. Casual, Smart Casual, or Formal they are specific enough for me to understand. Shorts to me, would be awesome for golfing, lounging or comfy beach attire even if they are very nice I don't feel that they are appropriate for the dinning room but as you have heard, some people try it. :rolleyes:

What would you consider "smart casual" to be? I'm asking, because I don't remember ever seeing smart casual mentioned last June on our Mariner cruise. Do they even still do this? We're going again in June, and I wouldn't want to not be preprepared.

My husband would wear dockers and a polo shirt, or a short sleeve sports shirt to the dining room on casual nights. Would "smart casual" mean adding a jacket to that?

So anyone know...is there a smart casual night?

ON our recent cruise on the Mariner, the employees stationed at the doorways of the dining room for dinner turned away people with shorts. I did see some jeans, however, on the casual dress evenings.

Sorry, Original poster, about some of the comments made to your question. On one of my first threads after my first RCI cruise I posted an innocent question asking if any of the RCI ships had self-service laundry facilities (since I usually cruise Princess and their ships have them). Instead of providing the requested information (which some did, thankfully, and the answer is "no RCI ships have this") I got several people questioning why I would ever want to do my own laundry on a cruise. Just because they didn't, then I shouldn't want to either! Go figure!

Princess,

There are a few topics that are guaranteed to get you responses you may not like:

1) How to dress for Dinner?

2) How do I sneak alcohol on-board (it is so expensive)?

3) Why can't I save a deck chair for as long as I like, I paid for this cruise??? :eek:

That is why so many people also get excited when they see these posts, because it can always lead to some interesting results.

Don't take it personally.

From what I saw on our cruise a couple weeks ago, jeans were allowed, but we didn’t ever see anyone wearing shorts at dinner. In the dining room for b-fast and lunch, sure, but never for dinner. In fact, the daily compass just said that shorts were not allowed for dinner.

There was one (and I use this term lightly) “gentleman” who walked up to his table in shorts at dinner. The wait staff looked disgusted by this. However, he never even sat down at the table as he fell stumbling drunk. I don’t know if the staff would have said anything if the man in shorts didn’t get dragged out by his friends, but they didn’t look impressed.

That said; I traveled with three thirty-something men who wore jeans to dinner every non-formal night. Two of them didn’t have anything else for pants (except for their suits on formal night.). One of them has been on five cruises and said that they wear jeans all the time with a nice shirt. Nothing was ever said to them and no one seemed to even bat an eye.

Hope that helps!

I've seen the same on Rhapsody and Enchantment... laffed my big boy pants off...

LL

Now that I think about it, our daughters said that they saw dining room staff turning away someone at the entrance to the dining room. He was wearing jeans and a NASCAR tank top! So they will turn you away if they find it inappropriate.

Archived