What's Your Favorite Cruise Line for Solo Traveling?

EricaS

What's your favorite cruise line for solo traveling?  

327 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite cruise line for solo traveling?

• Royal Caribbean
    • Oceania
    • Cruise West
    • Wind Star
    • P&O
    • Carnival
    • Norwegian Cruise Line
    • Seabourn
    • Windjammer
    • Princess Cruises

I travelled on a Seabourn transatlantic last November and paid only 25% more on an already great deal. The crew and passengers were fantastic. You can eat dinner at hosted tables to which you are invited by written invitation or with a group of new friends if you wish. You can also dine alone which I did several times. In every situation, I was made to feel extremely comfortable. I would highly recommend Seabourn.

• 2 weeks later...
Single cabins only on QE2 and NCL have gentlemen hosts.

Where do we go now for single cabin and no supplement?

Costa has single cabins on some of her ships (Magica, Fortuna, Serena, etc)

• 4 weeks later...
Are these known to be solo adverse?

Hi:) I sail Celebrity all the time and I remember when this poll came out.

I asked the same thing. I guess there are only so many choices when

a poll is issued:eek: and so not every line was offered.

They are definitely not adverse to me. I just returned home from my 25th

solo cruise on Celebrity:D

Im looking at Norwegian Spirit out of New Orleans in September 2011 for a solo cruise. I know it is early yet and I dont want to book anything until after my September 2010 cruise on Carnival, but what I am asking is that on NCL website when I price my September 2011 cruise for 1 person it gives me a price for the lowest category inside cabin at the same price for 2 in the cabin. Can Anyone familiar with NCL solo pricing can give me any idea whether I will have any better luck getting a solo price less than 200pc at some later time? I normally like to book at least 6 months in advance, but unless I get a good price I wont book it regardless of cruise line. Price is my bottom line, not cabin, or cruiseline.:)

Hi:) I sail Celebrity all the time and I remember when this poll came out.

I asked the same thing. I guess there are only so many choices when

a poll is issued:eek: and so not every line was offered.

They are definitely not adverse to me. I just returned home from my 25th

solo cruise on Celebrity:D

I had one cruise on Celebrity back in 2002 on the Zenith. Was a wonderful cruise with a couple of problems, both of those problems were not a fault of Celebrity. First was I was in a stateroom with 2 others ( relatives of mine ), but let me just say it was just a little to close, and one roomie was in nasty mood all week!, Not Celebrity's fault. Other was a really weird grouping at the dining room table. Table of 8, first night me and my two roomies, a nice couple about my age, and an older couple who were just plain weird. Second night only us three showed up. All this aside, I have to say that that cruise was certainly the best in quality of all my cruises. while I have cruised only Carnival since, it is only because of the fact that I now mostly cruise solo, and I am motivated mostly by pricing. Now that Carnival is not giving solo cruisers a break in pricing, I am looking back to NCL and Celebrity. Does Celebrity really ever offer solo cruisers a cruise rate at less than double pricing in a cabin? Any info appreciated. :)

I had one cruise on Celebrity back in 2002 on the Zenith. Was a wonderful cruise with a couple of problems, both of those problems were not a fault of Celebrity. First was I was in a stateroom with 2 others ( relatives of mine ), but let me just say it was just a little to close, and one roomie was in nasty mood all week!, Not Celebrity's fault. Other was a really weird grouping at the dining room table. Table of 8, first night me and my two roomies, a nice couple about my age, and an older couple who were just plain weird. Second night only us three showed up. All this aside, I have to say that that cruise was certainly the best in quality of all my cruises. while I have cruised only Carnival since, it is only because of the fact that I now mostly cruise solo, and I am motivated mostly by pricing. Now that Carnival is not giving solo cruisers a break in pricing, I am looking back to NCL and Celebrity. Does Celebrity really ever offer solo cruisers a cruise rate at less than double pricing in a cabin? Any info appreciated. :)

Hi Sparky:) on Tuesdays they come out with some specials and

depending on if you can go when they are offered, they do have

a few supplements at 150% or 175%. But again, they are only

for certain sailings. I am one of those folks who looks at the total

price rather than how much the supplement is.....if the price is

within my cruise budget then I go:D

I just booked another cruise today:D

Thankyou Lois R, I will keep your information in mind. I know what you are saying about the pricing, but after several years of good deals from Carnival I feel "kicked in the keester" by them now that they no longer offer solo cruisers a "deal". I have long wanted to go back to my old originals Celebrity and NCL but regardless of whether it is 150pc or 200pc pricing, my next solo cruise will be on a different cruise line from Carnival. Even if Carnival at 200pc is less than Celebrity or NCL or Hal or whoever I will be trying a different cruise experience, just so I have something recent to compare to. I really loved my Celebrity and my NCL cruise, so I now see no reason to stay loyal to Carnival. JMHO>:)

Hi Everyone,

I am sailing on the new Norwegian Epic in August. They have a new class of stateroom that they are trying to market to singles called the Studios. I think that they originally wanted to market the smallish 100 sq. ft. rooms to couples, but there were probably few takers.

The Studios are inner staterooms with a card-access corridor. The Studios are located on decks 11 & 12 and share a common 2-storey "Living Room" space. The rooms themselves have a separate toilet room, shower stall, and vanity sink. I think that this arrangement turned off the couples but it may be okay for a single.

I do not believe the rooms have a fridge. I am also uncertain if you can get room service direct to your room (online they describe waiting in the "Living Room" for room service). Something weird is that they have a window to the corridor, but fortunately you can close it off completely (something I am sure everyone will do).

On two previous cruises that I took, I spent very little time in the stateroom other than sleeping. So I hope that the Studios will work for me. Cost is a little more than the per-person-double-occupancy rate for other interior cabins.

Richard from Saskatchewan

• 4 weeks later...

Those days are over, effective June 2010, Carnival now offers all cabins at 200%. They no longer have any deals/supplements for people traveling solo.

Bummer I like Carnival but now I will be checking out other cruise lines

to see what they will offer solo travelers.....

I voted Carnival because it's the only cruise line that offers solo travelers a private external cabin with two windows for $519 - 7 nites.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite cruise line for a solo traveler is not even listed! I much prefer Silversea Cruise Line because they are willing to negotiate the solo supplement. In three solo cruises on Silversea I have never had to pay a 175% or 200% solo supplement. What I did pay, I want to keep quiet [grin], but am very very happy with Silversea - plus, it is all inclusive, plus in my opinion it is the best luxury cruise line.

My favorite cruise line for a solo traveler is not even listed! I much prefer Silversea Cruise Line because they are willing to negotiate the solo supplement. In three solo cruises on Silversea I have never had to pay a 175% or 200% solo supplement. What I did pay, I want to keep quiet [grin], but am very very happy with Silversea - plus, it is all inclusive, plus in my opinion it is the best luxury cruise line.

Hi Charlie,:) good to see you...been a long time. Glad you are happy

with the product. For some of us (me) Silversea is waaaayyyyy out

of the budget. So having a low SS doesn't matter because the base

price is just too much $$$$$$$ for me:eek:

Hi Lois, am still around. Nedra has been gone now for over a year and half, and I still miss her so very much.

The cost is sort of relative. Nedra and I always booked a Royal Suite on Celebrity, and when you compare that cost to Silversea the difference really is neglible or even as on our Infinity cruise, was less primarily because tips and everything else is included in the fare. I really got hooked on our last cruise together on the Silver Shadow - and have my wonderful memories of that cruise. In April of this year on Shadow, so many of the crew remembered her, including our cabin attendant. Still had a few tears left.

Happy cruising Lois, and I am finding out that it takes a little courage to cruise solo, but from reading your postings over the past three or four years - it did give me that courage - thank you.

Hi Lois, am still around. Nedra has been gone now for over a year and half, and I still miss her so very much.

The cost is sort of relative. Nedra and I always booked a Royal Suite on Celebrity, and when you compare that cost to Silversea the difference really is neglible or even as on our Infinity cruise, was less primarily because tips and everything else is included in the fare. I really got hooked on our last cruise together on the Silver Shadow - and have my wonderful memories of that cruise. In April of this year on Shadow, so many of the crew remembered her, including our cabin attendant. Still had a few tears left.

Happy cruising Lois, and I am finding out that it takes a little courage to cruise solo, but from reading your postings over the past three or four years - it did give me that courage - thank you.

Hi Charlie, good to see you and thanks for the kind words:)

Wishing you all good things.:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Except when I look up the May 7 Epic out of Miami, a single lowest price is $1499 but the lowest double-occupancy is $499, which is $998 with a 200% single supplement. Go figure. I noticed this on several sailings. The twice the double-occupancy is still lower than the now-popular single studio rooms.

• 1 month later...

I have travelled solo on dozens of cruises and have loved every cruise, but I feel very much like I am being screwed since I have to always pay for 2 and yet it is only me. I would acceed to double payment IF these ships were fully booked, but I have NEVER been on a truly sold-out ship, NEVER!!!!! I have 4 cruises booked on Epic and will not change this new routine until other lines stop using us singles as cash cows. Shame on the cruise lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived