Weather in Galveston

claven

We were on the Ecstacy in Nov and Princess Grand (both out of Galveston) in December and hit storms both times. It did take a whole day to warm up, but was in the mid 80s by the time we hit the first port both times and was quite hot.

I just brought a hoodie for the first day to keep warm and was fine.

Well, those are definately million dollar questions....lol... I've lived on the Texas/Lousiana Gulf Coast all my life & I've seen Christmas' that we could wear shorts & go to the beach & Christmas' that were COOOOOOLD! Ya just never know. I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful. All I can tell you for sure is that if it's cold in Galveston, the further you get out into the Gulf the warmer it will get.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

What is the weather like when we leave Galveston on Dec 30th, when will it get warm enough to wear shorts? Will we have to pack warmer clothes for the first day?

Dennis

Dennis, short answers first: cold, no, yes.

The Gulf Coast can be unpredictable during the winter months. We've mowed the grass on Christmas Eve in shorts and worn shorts along the Galveston Seawall on New Years Day.

Here has been our experiences cruising the past four Thanksgiving weeks from Galveston. Boarding weather can be as high as the mid 60's and as low as 40.

Sail away is windy, and I mean about a 15-20 mph wind. For this we take a sweatshirt in the backpack and put it on after muster to head up open decks. The ship has a wide turn from the ship channel to the mouth of the Gulf and then the wind is cold.

For both the first day at sea and the return across the gulf you can expect some waves and wind. We've had our roughest days at sea headed back from Cozumel with a strong 25 mph wind head on from the bow of the ship. A great night sleeping as we rolled along.

This past year the day before Thanksgiving was just too cold for the outdoor activites. This was a first since we started this tradition. Consider the weather in Cozumel was windy and 70 degrees the day before as well.

For the long answer, the weather is not always swimsuit weather on the open and elevated decks. Bring a sweatshirt and comfortable jeans for sail away and you will be in the majority.

As a proud Louisiana native... I can tell you, if you don't like the weather on the gulf Coast... wait a minute. Cause it will change. Really though, it will probably be a little too cool for shorts. i would go for the jeans, tshirt, with a pullover sweatshirt if I were you. I know, I know... kinda hard to get your "sexy" on in a sweatshirt, but it'll be okay once in the Caribbean.:)

What is the weather like when we leave Galveston on Dec 30th, when will it get warm enough to wear shorts? Will we have to pack warmer clothes for the first day?

Dennis

I'm sailing on the Conquest out of Galveston in February 2008 so I've been wondering the same thing. Thanks for all your answers. :D I will definatly pack a sweatshirt and wear capri's for sail-away.

I'm sailing Conquest April 29th, what's the Galveston weather like then ?

The National Weather Service provides a monthly summary of weather for Galveston. Last April, the high was 85 and the low was 60. Last May the high was 93, but the normal temp is listed as 86. The low was 55 with a normal temp of 66. (Of course, I may be reading the charts wrong.) Anyways, that should give you an idea: highs in the 80s to 90s and lows in the 60s.

Hope that helps. :D

There are two seasons here: Nice (Nov. - Mar.) and Damn Hot (the rest of the year).

High temperatures in the Nice season can range in the 40s to 60s during most of this time, with 70s reasonably common in Nov. and Mar. Sometimes highs in the upper 30s are possible, but that's relatively rare (once or twice a year). Odds that it will be warm enough to wear shorts at Christmas are not great, but that is probably the case every 3 or 4 years.

What about Damn Hot? 80-100% humidity and 80s- high 90s most of the time.

... What about Damn Hot? 80-100% humidity...

A big AMEN to the humidity! If you stand still long enough, moss will grow on the north side of your legs!!

Kat110105_emYA11_prv.gif

Unfortunately, the wind is as variable as the temperature. If a front is coming through at the time, 35 mph is average. Odds are, you'll be OK, though. Particularly after you get just a little south. The fronts don't go much farther south than the tip of Texas, usually.

We were on the Spendour last week. It was nice and warm on Galvaston Island all day. We set sail about 6pm (1hour late). We were in shorts during sailaway and as soon as we turned out to sea, the wind started howling. The Capt. predicted winds of 40mph+ across the bow as we were headed into a 20mph headwind and would be doing 20mph. He was right. Very windy all night and all day the first day at sea. There were pleanty of diehards at the pool in their bikini's, but there were just a many wearing jeans and jackets.

We wore shorts that day and it was tolorable. My son swam in the outdoor pool for about 3mins and was freezing when he got out. We moved to the indoor pool and it was very nice in there.

It warmed up when we got to Cozumel and even warmer in Costa Maya.

The last day at sea returning to Galvaston, we had the wind at our back, so it seemed much warmer. But as the day progressed, it did get cooler as we approached Galvaston.

It was overcast and cool when we docked in Galvaston.

In my opinion, the sea days are a waste if you are looking to sun around the pool. But, we found pleanty of things to do.

We did Western Caribbean last Feb from Miami and found the same conditions in the straights of Florida until we turned the corner around the SW tip of Cuba.

Mike in Tulsa

I'm sailing on the Conquest out of Galveston in February 2008 so I've been wondering the same thing. Thanks for all your answers. :D I will definatly pack a sweatshirt and wear capri's for sail-away.

February is typically colder than January and December.

Archived