How adventurous are you food wise?

AuntieBon

What is your eating style while cruising  

149 members have voted

1. 1. What is your eating style while cruising

• Stick with the tried and true foods
    • Eat new things - after all I can always order a different dinner
    • I eat in the buffet so I can pick and choose

Growing up in the Northeast I've only had the fish found in the cold North Atlantic like cod, haddock and scrod. This cruise I've decided to try other fish knowing that if I don't like it I can always try something else. If I do like it I can then eat it in regular restaurants without fear :o

On a cruise I am willing to try different things, but only up to a point. If it looks or sounds gross to me I'm still not trying it. If it is something that sounds good, but that I never had before, then I'll go for it. :)

Chicken always tastes re-heated to me on a cruise. If my husband and I both have the same second choice, we will order it to try between us. I'm also not a big meat eater (DH doesn't eat beef or pork) so I will have a steak or two during a week long cruise.

We're also willing to try all of the desserts!!! :-)

I like to try new things. However, I order a small portion and if I really, really like it, then I ask for more. If I don't order a small portion, the waiters always end up bringing me a full plate, or pretty close to! :eek:

Let me see. I've paid for a cruise to some places I have not been, so trying foods I have not had is a given. I tried Frogs Legs and I found I could eat them in a crunch but not my cup of tea. Cavier I had before but only one veraity(sp), now I tried five. I'm willing to try almost anything, choclate ants were good but sheep's brains were yuk. :D

I am a vegetarian, so its harder for me to be experimental, but I do like to try new things as long as they fit within my no-meat guidelines. I am, however, a big fan of buffets - you just cant go wrong with most of them! :)

I like to experiment--especially if we arent paying for the food to find we dont like it. On cruises with my kids we always ordered something we never tried before. We get one for the table andpass it around so everyone can try it. We do this from each part of the menu. Thats how we were able to find out we liked the strawberry soup even the pumkin soup. We did try the pheasant--thought it may taste like chicken like everything else... (yuck--too many bones.

When on a cruise, I try as many different things as possible. Afterall, you can always get something else. If I'm really unsure about something, I ask the waiter to just bring a small amount to try and they will accommodate me. On one cruise they offered Ostrich and the group I was with were all eager to try it so we ordered a serving for the table and we all had a sample. It turned out to be very good! Very much like Filet Mignon in taste and appearance.

Being of Chinese heritage, I'm used to eating all the usual animal organs such as the intestines, ears, kidneys, lungs, and brains and not forgetting bats, snakes, and eels....yummy :p So when I married my husband, who is Norwegian, their cuisine was really nothing unsually scary to me. I tasted them all....although some I could do without. :o

The norwegian cuisines include:

1) Rakefisk i.e. rotten fish (smells terrible like it's rotten, but quite ok to eat)

2) Lutefisk i.e. cod fish soaked in soda (texture is somewhat "like" sashimi)

3) Smalohove i.e. cured sheep head (served on your plate)

4) Fårikål i.e. sheep stew

5) Cured meat :o

6) Whale meat (which I did not care for. It had the texture of beef, but the taste was sourish. yuck!) :(

I have also tasted crocodile meat in Florida. It had a psychological effect on me.....and while the men in the family ie the husband, the father and the brother enjoyed their croc, my mom and I had enough with a small taste. :o

I'm always willing to try new foods. Fell in love with escargot on my first cruise in '86, cavier, not much of a big fan of that. I always try different foods, I can always get something else if I don't like my first choice.

On a few of our cruises, I've had tablemates who turned up their noses when I ordered the escargot and the calimari. They're things I don't ordinarily eat. The only thing on the Princess menu that sounds disgusting to me is the vol-au-vent a la rein, which is a pastry shell filled with a cream sauce with chicken and sweetbreads.

The only things I've tried recently on cruises that weren't too good were pheasant and venison. I've had both of these before that were good, so it must have been an off day for them. Fortunately, the pheasant was on lobster night, so I already had my back-up entree ordered.

I was raised in a traveling adventerous family. My parents were very good to my sisters and I and we were fortunate enough to have travelled many places while growing up. My Father "insisted" we at least try a bite of everything. If it made up throw up (which it never did) then too bad, at least you can say you tried it. I like very much of what I have tried. Now, for the poster who said stay away from street vendors.....I totally disagree. I hav ehad some wonderful local cuisine (if you can call it that) from street vendors. It has proven interesting and some of the food has been fabulous and like nothing I've ever been able to find again. If you stay away from the locals, its like staying on the ship and eating (which is fine, but not that adventerous). I really enjoy finding the local specialty food and drink and giving it a shot. That's part of going to a different country. I've NEVER gotten sick, even remotely, from eating at a local street vendor.

Mrsfuzzmo

Archived