london to southampton

Need a three-night budget hotel close to London departure station for transport to Southampton to meet Grand Princess on Sept 2. Which station, which hotel?

mary deoaxaca

Howdy Mary!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum! 04.gif

Thank you for your inquiry. However, you have posted on the forum where members find the "How to ..." type of information for using Cruise Critic's software such as avatars, signatures, countdown clocks or tickers, attaching pictures, etc. It is not the place for your type of post and the information you seek is off topic here. 05.gif

Per the Community Guidelines and to help you out, I am moving your thread to the British Isles/Western Europe Forum in Ports of Call - Europe at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233 where it will be more on topic. The new location for your thread is a better location for more of your fellow Cruise Critic members to see it and to be able to help you with the information you seek.

To further your research, you might be interested in the following forum:

Princess Cruises Forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

And don't forget to go to the Grand Princess - Transatlantic September 2, 2007 Roll Call at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=324370. That is where you will get to know your fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you.

I truly hope you don't mind some friendly 05.gif suggestions to a new member, but you might want to read our Community Guidelines and FAQ first. Especially the Getting Started section in FAQ. You will see how a new topic should be consistent with the specific forum you choose. It also gives a brief summary of the topics covered in some of the forum sections. In our Community Guidelines, please read the Please Browse BEFORE You Post section. In making an inquiry, be sure to word your title so that the other members scrolling through the thread titles will know exactly the information you seek and will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic. You will get more replies that way. Also, be sure to mention your cruise line, ship & sail date in your inquiry if it will help the members with their answers to you. Click here Cruise Critic Message Boards for the list of all the Cruise Critic forums and be sure to read all Announcement and Sticky threads at the top of the various forums for additional information too.

If you have any other questions about using the Cruise Critic software, please feel free to use the Search this Forum feature on the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum to see if your inquiry topic has already been asked and answered before. And it probably has... many, many times! 05.gif If not, please feel free to post your new thread inquiry about the software there and we will be happy to try to help you with a solution. Also, the Search this Forum feature is on all other Cruise Critic forums too. It will help narrow down the threads you will want to read during any of your research. If you want to search more than one forum at a time, use our Search feature.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

We are staying at the Luna and Simone Hotel in London, which is very close to Victoria station, both train and bus. The National Express buses go there, and they have buses going to Southampton (called "funfares") for as little as 1 - 2 GBP per person.

Waterloo is your TRAIN station to use, while Victoria appears to be the direct bus route.

Luna and Simone is getting rave reviews on tripadvisor.com, and we are paying the equivalent of $127 U.S. per night, including VAT and breakfast.

You can look up the bus info at:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/

Gosh, Peggy, it is good to follow in your wake as you have done my research for me!!!! Love ya!

jc

Yup! That's why I'm mia somewhere else; too much work and research for our trip...:D

If you're going across the pond after me, I'll let you know if my research was worth it.

Yup! That's why I'm mia somewhere else; too much work and research for our trip...:D

If you're going across the pond after me, I'll let you know if my research was worth it.

Well, you are, of course, missed! :)

You are one of the best of all-time!

jc

Wow! Thanks for the tip on the bus service, we couldn't believe the price so I went and looked it up. Has anyone used this service before? I assume there is plenty of luggage storage as well.

My National Express bus ticket says:

"Two medium-sized suitcases, at nor more than 20 Kg (about 44 lbs), will be carried. Extra luggage will only be carried if there is space."

We have the same luggage restrictions on our overseas flight, so it works for us. Hand luggage goes with you inside, but the overheads (from what I've heard) are not as large as airlines.

I've read on several threads here from people that have taken the bus. One posted instructions for catching a taxi to the pier, and I added them to my notes. Here's what I have:

Port from National Express bus or train station in Southampton is around $18 or 9 GBP taxi fare

Address of National Express bus station is Harbour Parade.

Might want to walk a ways from the coach station if it’s crowded, and get a taxi. When you get off the coach, walk into the bus station and straight out the back door (it is a very small building). That's where you join the queue for a cab.

Need a three-night budget hotel close to London departure station for transport to Southampton to meet Grand Princess on Sept 2. Which station, which hotel?

mary deoaxaca

We just booked at the Best Western Victoria Palace. The cost of this hotel was very reasonable. It also has A/C and includes breakfast. After much research I found this to be one of the best priced hotels. It is just a few blocks from Victoria Station. Princess has a transfer bus that leaves out of Victoria Station the morning of the cruise.

We just booked at the Best Western Victoria Palace. The cost of this hotel was very reasonable. It also has A/C and includes breakfast. After much research I found this to be one of the best priced hotels. It is just a few blocks from Victoria Station. Princess has a transfer bus that leaves out of Victoria Station the morning of the cruise.

This is a nice looking hotel, I agree. It's about 1 - 2 blocks from the Luna and Simone I mentioned above. The price is about $40 a night more than L&S, and both include breakfast. It really depends on where you want to spend the extra money, and if I was staying any longer than 2 nights, I'd probably pop for a more expensive hotel room like the BW.

To help in your research ... we just got home (Germany) after our Millennium transatlantic cruise.

The National Express Coach "funfares" worked out perfectly and cost us only GBP 1 per person -- no kidding:D . The bus terminal is a GBP 5 taxi fare from the Southampton dock. Our arrival in Southampton was early morning and our "color" to disembark was called shortly after 7:40 AM. Although there was a long line -"queue"- for taxis, we were still at the bus station shortly after 8:30. The "fun fare" tickets are good only on the bus that you've booked so ... if you get there too early, you wait for the appropriate one. We had reserved tickets for the 10:30 bus to be on the safe side. It left on time, stopped in Wincester, Heathrow Airport and then in central London at Victoria Station at 1:10 PM. A great alternative to the train (look at the http://www.megatrain.com website) since it's much easier to load your luggage onto the bus. A great way to see the countryside!

• 2 weeks later...

mary deoaxaca

FYI Mary, Princess may be running shuttle service from Heathrow and Gatwick on Sept 2. I have shuttle reservatons from Princess on July 4 for a cruise out of Southampton. Check with you TA if you are interested as they may pick you up at your hotel, the price is $76/person. :)

Archived