I Need To Go Shopping Where's My Sister??

worf3

Do you like to shop by yourself or with someone?

Do you prefer an associate to stay with you?

Who's in the mood to hit the malls for a little precruise fashion browsing??

I need casual wear ideas for Europe.

I like going to the general vicinity with my sister or a friend and splitting up with times to meet and regroup..I hate playing tag team with someone else in the same store but I love knowing they are close by especially if you might like a second opinion on a jewelery purchase!

I'm thinking for my next cruise I might pick out some light weight ,vibrant material and have a dressmaker make me some matching tops and shorts/capris outfits??? Any suggestions on fabrics??:p:p

I'll be your "shopping sister" - no problem, I'm always up for a good hunt. I especially like shopping with others for their clothes and spending their money! I will, however, give you my honest opinion if something doesn't look right on you, even though you might be thoroughly in love with it.

It depends on what I'm looking for, but usually I like shopping alone for my things, and really HATE being shadowed by a sales attendant, particularly if I'm just browsing.

The things I am really seriously looking at buying for our next cruise (which is actually 2 years away, sigh) are a long black silk skirt and black silk evening pants. The weight of those 2 garments will make a big difference from the travel knits I usually carry for formal evenings. Just my 2 cents worth today.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If I'm looking for something in particular and I know I'll be trying on alot of clothes and taking a long time, I have to go alone. I can't think with someone with me. Also...if I have a ton of things to shop for and alot to do, I'll go alone.

But if it's a casual shopping trip, I love to bring someone with me. I have an aunt who is only 10 years older than I am and she's alot of fun to shop with. We'll look at cosmetics, etc....have lunch. It's nice. :)

I usually don't like associates following me around the store. If I need help with something I ask for help.

I'll be looking for a new formal for our next cruise, which is a year away. I like having that much time to get what I need. No rush.

I almost always shop alone.

My sister and I did shop together when I needed a dress for my sons wedding last year. Didn't want to do that one on my own!! I found the dress I liked in about six minutes, no alterations needed. Lots of time left to sit and talk and have cocktails!!

Truly, I'm not a "recreational shopper". I only go to stores when I absolutely have to...including grocery shopping!!

And if a store associate starts "pestering me", I'm out of there!!

I generally shop alone if serious shopping needs to be done. And, a browsing spree for me is always best done with a friend.

I aboslutely love seasoned sales attendants at a good stores. Very efficient if they know their stock and what you're looking for and can offer good alternatives, colloborate and fetch for you in the change room.

If you can post pics of what you're thinking of buying ........you'll find 100 shopping "sisters" with thoughtful opinions here! :):)

I would like to have someone shop with me, but I know that I am not easy to shop with. Whatever item I am shopping for, I visualize exactly what I want, then go out to the stores to find my ideal. It's exhausting because I cannot find my ideal then must settle for something else.:o

The last time my mom shopped with me she said," Remind me to never do this again.":D

I have one sister that I love to shop with, another that would drive me completely insane as it would have to all be about her! My older sis and I take turns :) I have other shopping sisters (friends) we can get into so much trouble if we have a cocktail during shopping days :D

I generally don't like to be bothered by sales associates. At our local Nordstrom, there is one that is there nearly every time I shop, knows my taste and will tell me honestly (I swear) if something looks horrid on me. She's also the top associate in her department, so she's doing something right!

I have a new shopping mantra when I shop for clothes now. If I don't love it, I don't buy it. No matter if it's something I need right now for an upcoming event or if it is a great sale price. If I don't love it, I know I won't wear it.

But I will buy on impulse if I find something I do love and have no immediate need for it, I will find a need for it. Last weekend I bought the most gorgeous stone necklace and earrings that were 75% off, the line was being discontinued at the store. They will go with so many colors that I know I'll wear them for a long time and very frequently.

I always take my husband along when I shop for clothes. Always! I really cannot tell if something looks good on me (old hangups from my overweight days). I would still be wearing baggy oversize clothes if my DH didn't steer me in the right direction :D . Sometimes I think salespeople might get the wrong impression, that DH has to approve of my clothes in a controlling way, when it's not that at all -- I just need an esthetic "approval" :D .

I buy most of my clothes in 2 local stores, and I do like the personal attention I get in both from the owners. I trust that they will help me find clothes that are perfect for me. I very seldom shop in department stores, but when I do I detest having salesclerks after me.

I agree I hate those hungry sales people on commission..if the circling attack starts as soon as I go into the store I politely tell them I will ask if I need help..if that is not effective I leave . Conversely, I hate the "bowling alley" department stores that have decided customer service is a low priority and have no one in sight except at the cash register..A good example of this is our recently sold and one of our last remaining Canadian Stores , The Bay. Guess which country now owns it!:eek:

Best women's clothing store to shop in : small privately owned shop staffed with women in my age group who know the store inside and out, have a flair for fashion,introduce themselves politely and give you some space and have an owner who pays them well and whose mission statement is : The satisfied customer will come back!:)

Maybe if I could replace my sister (and my mother) with people who are more like me, then I'd enjoy shopping with them more! I'll go with them, to look at things they want, and browse for myself. But if I really need or want something, I'll go find it myself and bring it to them to see afterwards if I want opinions!

That being said, they went out together (but without me) one year after Christmas and found an outfit for me to wear at my brothers wedding (in early March). They actually did a good job! I only had the let the hem of the pants down, then find shoes and earings! So they can recognize things I do like....go figure!

I have always loved taking my DD with me shopping - she worked at Filene's/Macy's and really enjoys clothes. (At Thanksgiving she got to go to NY and be a clown in the Macy's parade - what a hoot!).

The beginning of 2007 she moved to Alaska. Talking with her last night she mentioned that she really misses "our time together" shopping, lunch and lots of laughter.

For now I'm shopping alone. Jan

I have always loved taking my DD with me shopping - she worked at Filene's/Macy's and really enjoys clothes. (At Thanksgiving she got to go to NY and be a clown in the Macy's parade - what a hoot!).

The beginning of 2007 she moved to Alaska. Talking with her last night she mentioned that she really misses "our time together" shopping, lunch and lots of laughter.

For now I'm shopping alone. Jan

Well Jan she couldn't have gotten much further away could she?! Hope it's just temporary.Have you been to Alaska yet to visit?

I think they got my one and only daughter mixed up in the nursery...she has NO shopping genes! The last time we went shopping she said :"Mom I don't have to buy something JUST because we are out shopping." Now I find that down right "strange"!!:D:D

Karen - I too am hoping that she "comes to her senses" and moves back home, but we all have to follow our hearts. She's never liked the cold, so this is really odd. We have made plans for later in the year to meet in Las Vegas (I have a SIL there) and have a girls only long weekend. If she doesn't move back - I'm sure that I will be there quite often.

I am SO sorry that your daughter doesn't have "the gene" - it must be very difficult!!! I have 2 DS's and one has the gene and the other just likes being a slob!. Jan

My sister in law is a Shopping Ninja! For instance, she went shopping with me, who is hopeless and while I found one pair of trousers that didn't fit and looked horrible, she found two that fit well and looked great.

I don't have the shopping gene, but I am very good at finding fabulous shoes. Of course I don't have to take off my clothes to find proper fitting shoes. And you should see the pair I wore tonight. Yay. ;)

• 2 months later...

If I'm "on a mission" I generally tend to shop alone and ask the salespeople for help. Why waste time if I have something specific in mind? For example, I have a gorgeous bronzey/olive colored evening gown and when I needed a bag to go with it, I didn't care to wade through all the black ones.

Friends always ask me to go with them when they're on a mission and I'm happy to do it, but when it's my mission. I prefer to be alone.

If I can't decide between a few things, I'll ask the store to hold it and go back with a friend for an opinion.

However, a lot of my shopping involves perusing the stores to see if something "hits" me. In those cases, I'm happy to be with a friend or my Mom.

DH doesn't enjoy wandering in stores. (unless we're in a foreign country) He's got great taste and so as long as I've got something specific in mind he enjoys it. When I needed new black pumps he came with me and had me try on every pair in Sak's even though I liked the 3rd pair. He wanted to make sure I was really happy with my decision.

Europe is a big place. To get better advice, I think you should tell us where and when. Dressing for the Baltics in October is a lot different than dressing for the Med in July. The better your question is, the better your answers will be.

Archived