sinking ship

wags111

I hate landings:(

Landing is the best part :D. And when the plane first goes up in the air, that's another fun part too. I'm not afraid to fly or cruise or go on roller coasters, etc. But yeah I will be paying closer attention during the muster drill from now on.

I look at it this way:

If the ship begins to sink I will have some time to grab life preserver and get to life boat/raft. If all else fails, I will put those swimming lessons to good use and will still have some chance.

If the just/plane I am on begins to fall out of the sky at 32 feet per second squared, I am SOL because I never learned how to fly.....:D

:D ditto:D

A Greek cruise ship sank off the African coast. I have seen it on the Discovery Channel a couple of times. The ship officers acted shamelessly. I don't recall the name of the ship or the date.

It was the Oceanos....a Greek ship......and the crew abandoned the ship first.....and the Captain later explained that.......when he gave the order to abandon the ship.....it included everyone....including himself and his crew...:rolleyes:

1op3-1.jpg

....the wife and mother of the missing people aboard the Greek ship mentioned that the cabin began to fill with water very quickly.

...now you know why I insist on a balcony cabin close to the top of the boat. Maybe a little paranoid, as I know the chance of this happening to me is very slim to none....but do I feel lucky. If I did, I'd buy lottery tickets instead of cruise ship tickets.

Me too!

But never nervous about a cruise.

Same here. I never used to be afraid to fly, but old age has made me timid! I think AuntieCruiser would like to knock me out every time we get on a plane-:p At least I know I can swim reasonably well! And I think that ship was about a quarter mile off shore. . .

It was the Oceanos....a Greek ship......and the crew abandoned the ship first.....and the Captain later explained that.......when he gave the order to abandon the ship.....it included everyone....including himself and his crew...:rolleyes:

1op3-1.jpg

Thank you for the additional info. This is the reason why I am not interested in booking a cruise on a Greek ship. Do you know what happened to the captain? Nothing. He cannot captain a cruise ship any more, but last I heard he was the captain of a ferry boat.

this will alleviate all your fears:

THERE ARE MORE PLANES IN THE SEA THAN SHIPS IN THE SKY :D :D ;) ;) :p

Ha ha too funny. I am cruising for the first time this summer, am I nervous? Nope not at all. Bring it on, I am ready!!!

• 4 weeks later...

never a fear to cruise. We've been on royal carribean as well as Carnival cruises past year. both were fantastic. looking forward to our next cruise in October 2007 to the carribean on carnival liberty. next year we are hoping to do a repositioning cruise to Bermuda, london and Ireland.

:D

I AM MORE WORRIED ABOUT THE PLANE RIDE I HATE IT:eek:

Me too! I fly in two days, from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale. Been on planes many times as far away as England and South America. Still hate flying! Makes me nervous and I stress about it for days before. :(

Life can be dangerous. Crazy folks out there on the roads, in the malls, even at college. (with all due respect to the students and faculty at VT). Things happen sometimes that we have NO control over. As a very wise man told me once, "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst". Next person that asks about skipping the muster drill should keep that one in mind. Vacations are for having fun, that's how I prefer to frame things.

Oh, and to answer the OP's question......

Nope.

:o Not that it matters, but why is it that some people (like picklebongo and the thread on sea days) can start a thread not relating directly to Carnival and get totally chewed out about it, but threads like this generic one about sinking ships can go untouched by the flamers??? Interesting thread, but no more directly related to Carnival than that one was.

Just an observation....:rolleyes:

never a fear to cruise. We've been on royal carribean as well as Carnival cruises past year. both were fantastic. looking forward to our next cruise in October 2007 to the carribean on carnival liberty. next year we are hoping to do a repositioning cruise to Bermuda, london and Ireland.

:D

When in October will you be on the Liberty? We'll be on the Oct 7 sailing. I'm right down Rt 55 from you.

No what happened in Greece was a rare thing.

I like so many others, I am afraid of flying, so my anxiety starts when I get on the plane and does not stop until we land. My DH laughs because I am always trying to help stop the plane when we are landing my feet are hitting the brakes as hard as I can.

You mean we really aren't helping stop the plane??? Man I thought I stopped many a plane in my day! New train of thought happening here!

I look at it this way. If it's your time, it's your time, and no matter what you are doing, or where you are, that will not change. I'm not worried, I've never felt unsafe at any time, and as long as things work out that enable me to be able to go, I'll continue to fully enjoy myself as long as I can on cruise after cruise after cruise........:)

Archived