Tuxedos vs. Dark Suits for Formal Nights

dafne

It depends on which cruise,itinerary,weather etc.

Most men do wear tuxedos,that's what formal wear is and has been for as long as I remember,a Gentleman should have a complete range in his wardrobe for any occasion.

Now the issue of the "Dark suit" is the cruise lines way of not offending a man who does not own a Tuxedo or who does not want to buy one if he does not attend functions where formal wear is required.

The Ladies make a wonderful display and put much effort in on Formal nights that it is only proper for the Gentlmen to compliment their Ladies and wear the right attire.

The option is there to hire a tuxedo on land or on the ship, so no excuse should be forthcoming.There is also the option to dine at an alternative restaurant onboard or cruise with the lines that do not require a strict dress code,thus making everyone happy.

When I cruise I respect the dress codes that the company suggests,so when sailing with seadream I would not think of taking a tuxedo but for Seabourn,Silversea,Cunard I will always take both black and white jackets.

When attending a formal function in London that requires "White Tie" well that includes the Tail coat as well which used to be worn on The Grand Voyages in the not too distant past.

JB

This topic has been addressed in numerous threads here; a search will turn up more than you ever bargained for!

However - (and I agree with everything Lord says) - the percentage of tux-to-suit is quite high. (Which still doesn't mean that if a dark suit is your choice -or your companion's - there's any need to feel uncomfortable. You're not likely to be the Lone Ranger.)

It depends on which cruise,itinerary,weather etc.

Most men do wear tuxedos,that's what formal wear is and has been for as long as I remember,a Gentleman should have a complete range in his wardrobe for any occasion.

Now the issue of the "Dark suit" is the cruise lines way of not offending a man who does not own a Tuxedo or who does not want to buy one if he does not attend functions where formal wear is required.

The Ladies make a wonderful display and put much effort in on Formal nights that it is only proper for the Gentlmen to compliment their Ladies and wear the right attire.

The option is there to hire a tuxedo on land or on the ship, so no excuse should be forthcoming.There is also the option to dine at an alternative restaurant onboard or cruise with the lines that do not require a strict dress code,thus making everyone happy.

When I cruise I respect the dress codes that the company suggests,so when sailing with seadream I would not think of taking a tuxedo but for Seabourn,Silversea,Cunard I will always take both black and white jackets.

When attending a formal function in London that requires "White Tie" well that includes the Tail coat as well which used to be worn on The Grand Voyages in the not too distant past.

JB

I agree completely :)

I think that the old Japanese-run version of the Song of Flower was one of the last small ships to offer tuxes for hire. In any event, we certainly don't plan to take our tuxes (we do own a few of them, although we don't take the white jackets anymore, for fear of being mistaken for the head-waiter) on our Dubai-Athens Whisper cruise next year. Considering the heat and the hideous baggage restrictions (of which British Air is leading the pack), even in Club, it is just too much of a bother to worry about tux vs. dark suit. I certainly hope that on our cruise, we will not be overly burdened with such pretentious silliness as what "Gentlemen" should do or wear. (Forgive my using such a Monty Pythonesque expression as "pretentious silliness"; but it seemed to fit the occasion.) Okay, dear fans of Silversea, please feel free to flame away. I'm wearing my asbestos Easter jammies (something every Gentleman includes in his wardrobe, no??) Cheers, Fred

Actually, a couple of years ago, my husband was able to arrange a tux rental on a Holland America cruise. It was extremely convenient.

As to a tuxedo for puchase on a SS ship - give the prices in the onboard stores, I can only imagine the purchase price of a tuxedo......maybe $5,000 for the basic, no-frills version?!

Seriously, I doubt if anybody has done a "tux count" on any cruise so as to get an exact percentage. But I will say that I've cruised many lines, and find the percentage of men wearing tuxes to be higher on Silversea than on any other line -- at least the ones I cruised.

• 1 month later...
I think that the old Japanese-run version of the Song of Flower was one of the last small ships to offer tuxes for hire. In any event, we certainly don't plan to take our tuxes (we do own a few of them, although we don't take the white jackets anymore, for fear of being mistaken for the head-waiter) on our Dubai-Athens Whisper cruise next year. Considering the heat and the hideous baggage restrictions (of which British Air is leading the pack), even in Club, it is just too much of a bother to worry about tux vs. dark suit. I certainly hope that on our cruise, we will not be overly burdened with such pretentious silliness as what "Gentlemen" should do or wear. (Forgive my using such a Monty Pythonesque expression as "pretentious silliness"; but it seemed to fit the occasion.) Okay, dear fans of Silversea, please feel free to flame away. I'm wearing my asbestos Easter jammies (something every Gentleman includes in his wardrobe, no??) Cheers, Fred

I agree completely. We are taking Silver Shadow out of S.F. next year to Alaska. My husband does not own a tux and is not going to buy one. We dress up pretty well and look nice. I will wear the formal wear I worn on Regent just last week and feel just fine.

It's probably more like 87.34%, but the percentage is likely to decline as Baby Boomers take the place of the Sinatra Generation. The handwriting is already on the wall, to judge from recent changes to (and experiments with) the dress code.

I'm afraid you are right. It's really too bad, because I think gentlemen in tux all look so handsome. The opportunities to play dressing up are getting less and less in our daily lives. I'm afraid the trend will continue.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree completely. We are taking Silver Shadow out of S.F. next year to Alaska. My husband does not own a tux and is not going to buy one. We dress up pretty well and look nice. I will wear the formal wear I worn on Regent just last week and feel just fine.

Since you're in the States, Joseph A. Bank stores periodically have very nice Tux sales.

Will you be sailing on 3816 by any chance?

Since you're in the States, Joseph A. Bank stores periodically have very nice Tux sales.

An even more practical solution is a black suit. As a bonus, the jacket can be worn as a blazer on informal nights.

It is okay to wear a white dinner jacket on a cruise in the Caribbean in December for a formal night? I read in some post (actually an Emily Post post--a post quoting her) that a white dinner is acceptable in the tropics or on a cruise, but I thought it was appropriate only in summer or in the tropics and I do not know if the Caribbean counts. Any opinions on this?

Archived