Who has done the Berlin train trip?

As I am actually on JEWEL OF THE SEAS and the Internet-access is so slow, expensive and lousy:

please apology to ask you for your patience to respond to your question when I am back in Germany on Wednesday.

I will keep an eye on your request.

Promised.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed: Enjoy your cruise!!! And please tell us about it after you return.

Also after you return, please comment on the following three questions. The first two questions are about an earlier posting of yours to this thread. The third question comes from this post to a different thread.

1) You note that the Länder-Tickets are valid weekdays from 9 am to 3 am of the next day. Does this mean that the 50 EUR ticket price covers the round-trip Warnemünde to Berlin back to Warnemünde?

2) You have two footnotes about the need to buy an additional local ticket for travel before 9am. Can I use the ticket machine to buy those additional tickets? If yes, would I find them from the red or the blue area of the machine as pictured in your wonderful instructions?

3) You had shown the following two train schedules from Warnemünde to Rostock,

departing Warnemünde at 7.52 hrs and at 8.07 hrs

arriving Rostock Hbf at 8.13 hrs and at 8.28 hrs

this schedule for a train from Rostock to Berlin,

departing Rostock Hbf at 8.33 hrs

arriving Berlin Hbf at 11.16 hrs

and this schedule for trains from Berlin back to Warnemünde

departing Berlin Hbf at 16.41 hrs

arriving Rostock Hbf at 19.24 hrs

departing Rostock Hbf at 19.31 hrs

arriving Warnemünde at 19.51 hrs

However, you advised that these schedules were to be confirmed at the end of May. If the train schedules valid on 13 June 2007 are now available, please post those times.

Again HeinBloed, many thanks for your detailed and kind help!

--Marne

1) You note that the Länder-Tickets are valid weekdays from 9 am to 3 am of the next day. Does this mean that the 50 EUR ticket price covers the round-trip Warnemünde to Berlin back to Warnemünde?

The ticket is valid from 9am to 3am on the next day on local trains. If you want you can sit in the trains for the whole time, change trains every now and then without ever leaving the stations. :)

Yes, if you buy a Länderticket the ticket price covers the round-trip.

2) You have two footnotes about the need to buy an additional local ticket for travel before 9am. Can I use the ticket machine to buy those additional tickets? If yes, would I find them from the red or the blue area of the machine as pictured in your wonderful instructions?

Yes, you can use ticket machines.

It's the red area (see page 4 of the instructions).

3) You had shown the following two train schedules from Warnemünde to Rostock,…

However, you advised that these schedules were to be confirmed at the end of May. If the train schedules valid on 13 June 2007 are now available, please post those times.

You can check for yourself, it’s easy: http://www.bahn.de -> Intern. Guests -> From Warnemünde -> To Berlin -> Date (DD/MM/YY) -> Time

Next page -> Means of transport: only local transport (otherwise you get connections with trains you can’t use with the Länderticket)

Hi,

Just some information you might find useful. We are traveling to Berlin in early August on the Star Princess. I have booked a private tour for 6 in Berlin with Original Berlin Walks. We are paying 849 euro. This is cheaper than just taking the charter train the ship offers. Our tour includes transportation from the dock in a minivan, use of the van and driver all day, and a tour guide for 6 to 7 hours once we reach Berlin. We can decide what we what to do in Berlin, where we want to eat and how much time we spend at each place. The price does not include any meals or entrance fees. We have never used the company before but they came very highly recommended. It is just an option you may what to check into.

Have a great cruise

Also after you return, please comment on the following three questions. The first two questions are about an earlier posting of yours to this thread. The third question comes from this post to a different thread.

Sorry - but I need to correct JeannyCT's responses.

June 13, 2007 is a Wednesday.

Your itinery reads:

08.02 hrs from Warnemünde

08.23 hrs at Rostock Central Station

08.33 hrs from Rostock Central Station

11.16 hrs at Berlin Central Station

BUT I would recommend to go 10 minutes earlier at 07.52 hrs already...

That means:

You need three tickets:

1. to cover the time until 09.00 hrs

2. to cover the State of Meckelenburg-Vorpommern (Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern)

3. to cover the States of Brandenburg and Berlin (Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin)

2. + 3. = 50 EUR

1. add 5.20 EUR pp to cover the time from Warnemünde until 9 am when the validity of the Ländertickets starts.

NO - you cannot as instructed by JeannyCT!!!

2007WmdDBTicketingF17-vi.jpg

You can use the yellow section of the right long distance ticket machine to buy the local tickets.

BUT it will not help you unless you have a DOMESTIC (German) MAESTRO-Bank-Card to pay.

Local tickets on the right machine can be only paid with a DOMESTIC (German) MAESTRO-Bank-Card.

You may try it if you have one. But no VISA, MASTER CARD or AMERICAN EXPRESS is accepted for the local tickets.

Credit Cards are accepted to pay the Ländertickets.

But if you have enough cash you can buy all tickets with the left machine:

2007WmdDBVVWTicketF18-vi.jpg

To ticket 1. cover until 9 am:

Lalendorf WAS the stop which was called at 09.08 hrs in the old schedule.

The stop is cancelled from June 10, 2007. Therefore it's a trick to buy a ticket to a destination which is not called anymore.

Check destination list:

2007WmdDBVVWTicketF19-vi.jpg

Lalendorf is destination code 239.

So you enter 239 in the key pad.

2007WmdDBVVWTicketF20-vi.jpg

Then left column on the top (Einzelfahrtkarte = Single tickets).

5.20 EUR should appear in the amount.

If you need more tickets you just enter the white "+" in a green circle and add "Einzelfahrkarte" again (left adults / right child).

If you are a party of two 10.40 EUR should appear now - etc.

You just insert the bills and coins.

The machine will change. But if you put a 50 EUR bill you get only coins as change!!! So avoid to pay 5.20 EUR with a 50 EUR bill if you do not make any excersises before to strenghten your muscles and have a suitcase with you to carry all the coins!!!

If you have enough cash with you, you can also buy the 2. Ländertickets Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (about 1/3 from the top / left column) and 3. Brandenburg-Berlin (about 1/3 from the top / right column) at the same machine.

Alternatively you can change the machine and pay with credit cards only.

Your local tickets for the coverage of the time until 9 am must be validated by punching at this machine:

2007WmdDBEntwerterF21-vi.jpg

You'll find it at the access to the platforms. But only for the local ticket!!!

But you must write the names of your party (max. 5 persons) on the Ländertickets - So have a pen with you!!!

Just for a good order's sake:

The next station is Waren (Müritz) but the single tickets to this place is 10 EUR more. The station ahead is Güstrow and is called 8.58 hrs. I do not expect larger problems if the conductor will ask to cover the 2 minutes. Just tell you wanted to go to Lalendorf and you did not know that the schedule changes... Offer him to use the emergency brake...

No more jokes: I do not expect larger problems with the conductor.

Show him the local ticket on the section to Güstrow (arrival 8.57 hrs)

Between Güstrow and Waren (Müritz) (arrival 9.29 hrs) you show the Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

And from Waren (Müritz) you show Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin.

(On the return you just show Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin to Waren (Müritz) and then Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

3) You had shown the following two train schedules from Warnemünde to Rostock,

departing Warnemünde at 7.52 hrs and at 8.07 hrs

arriving Rostock Hbf at 8.13 hrs and at 8.28 hrs

this schedule for a train from Rostock to Berlin,

departing Rostock Hbf at 8.33 hrs

arriving Berlin Hbf at 11.16 hrs

and this schedule for trains from Berlin back to Warnemünde

departing Berlin Hbf at 16.41 hrs

arriving Rostock Hbf at 19.24 hrs

departing Rostock Hbf at 19.31 hrs

arriving Warnemünde at 19.51 hrs

The return schedule remains unchanged. The schedule to Berlin see above!!!

Have a nice day in Berlin.

Willkommen in Deutschland!

Welcome to Germany.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We would like to be let off at the Zoo station in Berlin.

Hello,

the ZOO Station will not be called anymore from the trains from/to Rostock.

Can it be that you got an older guide-book??? At Zoo-Station there are no more long-distance trains and North-South-bound trains (like Rostock-services) stop anymore since 2006.

Therefore you need an additional transfer at

Hauptbahnhof (Central Station)

to

S5/S7/S9/S75 to Spandau, Potsdam, Wannsee, Grunewald bound services.

It's additionally 5 minutes.

To which place you like to go exactly around Zoo Station???

The train also stops at POTSDAMER PLATZ - so it could be a good alternative to use the train to POTSDAMER PLATZ and to change to subway U2 (extra charge applied) Zoo - Ruhleben bound and see something from Berlin as this subway will change to OVERground until one stop ahead of Zoo and you will see a lot of Berlin.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello Heinbloed:

Thanks for the headsup about the Zoo Station. We had planned to follow Rick Steeves' self guided walk through the city starting from this point. from your response do I understand that the train from Rostock would let us off at the Central station? For simplicity's sake I'm trying to avoid using any local transit and hoof it all day - is this unrealistic ?

Thanks again

Hello Heinbloed:

Thanks for the headsup about the Zoo Station. We had planned to follow Rick Steeves' self guided walk through the city starting from this point. from your response do I understand that the train from Rostock would let us off at the Central station? For simplicity's sake I'm trying to avoid using any local transit and hoof it all day - is this unrealistic ?

Thanks again

Good Morning:

can you just let me know some points of Rick Steeves' self guided walk???

Let me see how I can adopt it for you.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed: Yet again, MANY THANKS!!!! for all of your great explanations on using the train system.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you. If you ever find yourself in northern California, we'd love to treat you to a day in the wine country!

--Marne

Good Morning from Canada Heinbloed:

We are interested in seeing the following in Berlin- The Checckpoint Charlie museum, The Reichstag, The Holocaust Memorial, The Brandenburg gate and the site of the former wall.

Thanks yet again for taking the time to help!

Cheers

Claudette

Ah...

O.K. now it's more clear:

you get off already BERLIN GESUNDBRUNNEN at 11.11 am - that's one ahead of Central Station.

From there take subway U8 Hermannstrasse bound to Bernauer Strasse.

You can walk or take Tram M 10 Nordbahnhof bound for one stop to Gedenkstätte.

Maybe you remember from old news features that people were jumping from higher floors out of the windows and were rescued by people alongside the street:

This was Bernauer Strasse. All houses were in the East but the street belongs to the West. So the East Berlin Authorities closed all doors and windows in the ground floor by brickstones.

Today you'll find there the Berlin Wall Documentation Center:

http://www.berliner-mauer-dokumentationszentrum.de/index_e.html

From there you can walk (same direction as before) or go for one stop to M10's terminal at Nordbahnhof.

This station was closed during the Communism.

All trains were bypassed but there were small booth on the platform where the soldiers watch all movements at the platforms.

The trains from North (part of West-Berlin) to South (part of West-Berlin) were only allowed to pass as fast that nobody can jump on the train and so slow that the soliders can observe the activities around the trains.

Only very strict and loyal members of the Communist Party were allowed to "serve" in such stations.

The Station was not called Nordbahnhof (North Station) before the Communism. Before it was called Stettiner Bahnhof but Stettin (today Sczeczin in Poland) was no more Germany so the Communist did not want to disturb their relationship with their Brother Country Poland. So they renamed it more neutral to North Station.

Take S1, S2, S25 southbound to Unter den Linden (Zehlendorf, Wannsee, Lichterfelde Süd, Teltow, Frohnau, Blankenfelde is shown on final destination).

Here you are just Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag.

From there you walk to the Holocaust Memorial. When you face Brandenburg Gate and you have Unter den Linden on your back.

Reichstag is right of Brandenburg Gate.

Holocaust Memorial is left of Brandenburg Gate.

If you are lazy or it's bad weather you walk now alongside of Behrenstrasse to the East. Hope some of you were with the Scouts that you can identify the direction with the help of the Sun... You must cross Wilhelmstrasse as next traffic signal. Go straight ahead until you meet Friedrichstrasse.

Otherwise walk all the Friedrichstrasse southbound (right turn at Lafayette Department Store). I am curious if you can identify the former border...

From there take U6 Alt-Mariendorf bound and you get off at Kochstrasse. That's Checkpoint Charlie.

I would now return towards Friedrichstrasse northbound. At the checkpoint turn left to Zimmerstrasse houses were on West-Berlin side and faced to the wall. No car traffic.

Straight ahead continue to Niederkirchnerstrasse. Left it's a very interesting site - if some time is left.

http://www.topographie.de/en/index.htm

That's about the **** / The Third "Reich" and their GESTAPO (Secret State Police).

Turn right at Stresemannstrasse to Potsdamer Platz.

Time left? Left is a nice mall where you can get cheap food as well...

But the best:

Your train to Rostock is leaving here 16.35 hrs!!!

If you are going on a weekend and use Happy-Weekend-Ticket all public transport in Berlin is included.

If not: buy a day pass for Zone A+B in Berlin: for 3-5 persons 15.40 EUR.

If you are less than 3: 6.10 EUR pp.

By this way: GREAT CHOICE for historical and political Berlin!!!

Congratulations!!!

Have a great day in Berlin

Willkommen in Deutschland

Welcome to Germany

HeinBloed

Send me an e-mail with your e-mail-address:

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

Please replace nickname by nickname used here in the forum

I'll send you additional information.

Hi;

We have never done this before so please be patient. We have booked a private tour guide in Berlin. He will meet us at the train. The tour lasts about 5 hours. We are 70 years old.. but young 70!

We arrive on the Regatta on July 18th at 6 AM We want to take the train From Warnemunde to Berlin and return the same day. The ship leaves at 10 PM.

A few questions.

How far is the train station from where we dock?

Where do we buy tickets and is there a senior discount?

Can we pay with credit card? If not, how do we handle that.

What is the earliest train we should take to Berlin and the latest to get us back in time? (I have a dread of not making it back to the ship!!)

I thank you in advance for all your information and most especially - your patience.

Miggi

Hello Miggi,

let's see how I can help you:

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

Have a look to this picture:

I took this picture from a top of a crane which was just above of Pier 1-4 where REGATTA will berth during her stay in Warnemünde.

So if you leave your ship and the waterside is portside and the landside is starboard you go straight ahead and make a turn to the right to a tunnel.

Due to your age I would say maybe 5 minutes. But you need to use some steps (about 20 down and 20 up).

Once you arrive in front of the station building turn a view to the left:

2007WmdDBTicketingF17-vi.jpg

Take the right machine to buy your ticket.

The instructions to operate the machines are here:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/DB-Ticket-Machine.pdf

This machine only accepts major credit cards.

There are discounts for seniors available:

50% subject you have a Senior rail pass for 113,00 EUR - but I do not think that it will make sense to your single trip.

Let's check the schedule:

Your ship is coming from Amsterdam, i.e. from a Schengen country and within the EU. That means the ship should be cleared very quickly.

I can offer you following schedule to maximise your time in Berlin:

Warnemünde dep 6.52 hrs

Rostock Hbf (Central Station) arr 07.13 hrs

Rostock Hbf dep 07.27 hrs

Berlin Hbf arr 09.50 hrs

Berlin Hbf (Central Station) dep 18.10 hrs

Rostock Hbf arr 20.32 hrs

Rostock Hbf dep 21.01 hrs

Warnemünde arr 21.21 hrs

This is a long-distance train connection in high-speed-train between Rostock and Berlin.

103.50 25%-saver ticket for 2 persons (do not know how many persons you are - limited refund)

184.00 full fare - full flexibility.

If you dislike this connection because you feel to be too late back in Warnemünde please let me know.

If you like it: book it yourself via http://www.bahn.de

You can printout yourself your ticket but must show as ID the credit card which you used for this purchase.

Any more questions: Do not hesitate to ask!

Have a nice day in Berlin.

Willkommen in Deutschland.

Welcome to Germany.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed

I am avidly following this as we want to do the same thing, although on June 27 arriving on Rotterdam from Denmark.

I would like to leave Berlin before 1800 hours perhaps, 1600. Is there a train recommendation for me?

Danke

Janis

Hi folks,

is anyone crusing with ncl dream and thinking to arrange a visit to berlin by renting a car/minivan for a group?

We are a small italian family (1 child 2 years old).

Any good suggestion is more than welcome.

I have already read most of the posts, and they are very useful, anyway i really think that the most cost effective way to go to berlin is to rent a car.

Thanks in advance

Hi folks,

is anyone crusing with ncl dream and thinking to arrange a visit to berlin by renting a car/minivan for a group?

We are a small italian family (1 child 2 years old).

Any good suggestion is more than welcome.

I have already read most of the posts, and they are very useful, anyway i really think that the most cost effective way to go to berlin is to rent a car.

Thanks in advance

Ciao Laura, ciao Max!

You better put your request into the RollCall-thread of NORWEGIAN DREAM starting June 10, 2007 in Dover - that's here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=464722

The cost effective would be to go by train:

It would be for you (2 adults + 1 child) =

60.40 EUR in total.

if you find more cruise mates to go with you on the same ticket:

65.60 EUR in total for party of 3 adults + your 2 yo child.

70.80 EUR in total for party of 4 adults + your 2 yo child.

76.00 EUR in total for party of 5 adults + your 2 yo child.

A car rental + insurance + fuel + parking in Berlin is much more!!!

E.g. Europcar charges just for delivery in Warnemünde 30 EUR.

And fuel 1.40 EUR/l in Germany actually.

Optimistic: 8 l / 100 km = 42 EUR round about.

Parking in Berlin: 3 EUR / hour = 18 EUR.

60 EUR only for fuel and parking +

expenses for car rental related items (car, insurance, delivery).

Regards,

HeinBloed

We too are on the NCL Dream that arrives Warnemunde on Tuesday June, 12. As I figure it, it will take 2 or 3 tickets for us 4 adults to travel to Berlin. My friend has been following all of your directions, and he seems to think with your help we can do it on our own. We surely didn't want to pay the $300 + it would be with the cruise line. Thanks so much. Nancy

As I figure it, it will take 2 or 3 tickets for us 4 adults to travel to Berlin.

Hello:

If you are a party of 4 = 6 tickets:

4 x tickets to Lalendorf to cover the time until 9.00 am = 20.80 EUR

1 x Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern = 24.00 EUR

1 x Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin = 26.00 EUR

-----------------------------------------------------------------

totally 70.80 EUR = 95.14 USD = abt. 24 USD/pp

Ticketing + Schedule see here.

Have a great day in Berlin

Willkommen in Deutschland

Welcome to Germany

HeinBloed

We did this trip a coupleof years ago whenon Golden Princess. The train journey was very comfortable and took less than the originaly published timings. It was a good way to see all the key sites since the coach drove us around.

Had a very good lunch too.

I know it's early but ... if anyone is travelling on the inaugural cruise of Carnival Splendour July 13, 2008 and is interested in joining with 4 Canadian adults to do a private tour to Berlin from Warnemunde and return, with special interest in Jewish Berlin, please contact clamen1@rogers.com. I've started to do some research and it is of course less expensive with more people.

Just returned from Baltic Cruise on NCL. We had a group of 7 who took an ariconditioned van from port to Berlin. Driver pick up at ship, tour guide pick up in Berlin. Arranged through Original Berlin Walks (see web).

Left before ship groups, returned before ship groups, had attention of a marvelous guide and opportunity to move a bit more efficiently through various sites. Originally, I was skeptical about long ride and city vs. country tour. Berlin is an amazing city, like none I have ever visited. It is a story of modern history in progress - in a special way.

Hi HeinBloed,

I've been reading all your posts on this and the other similar thread. VERY HELPFUL!! Thanks for all your advice. I also printed out your walking tour pdf and will probably follow along. I am on the Constellation docking in Wardemunde on July 15th, a Sunday -- so I am planning on getting the weekend happy pass as you suggested.

I have two questions: on the return train trip from Berlin, if I take this:

Berlin Hbf (Central Station) dep 18.10 hrs

Rostock Hbf arr 20.32 hrs

Rostock Hbf dep 21.01 hrs

Warnemünde arr 21.21 hrs

(1) Would that be too late or cutting it too close for a 22.00 ship departure?

(2) I believe this uses ICE train. Will I not be able to use my weekend happy pass on this schedule and have to pay extra?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Jose

Archived