Who has done the Berlin train trip?

Hi,

I've read all of your posts. Very interesting. Thank you. We are afraid of getting back too late, so we have decided to see the area near Rostock and go to the Molli train. We have booked a 1/2 day tour. Is this area nice?

With NCL you can just return your tickets and get a credit onboard.

But 5 pics say more than 1000 words:

2007DBRKueOstFahrradF36-vi.jpg

2007DBRMolliKempinskiV36F32-vi.jpg

(O.K. wood-tent-building on the left was only there during G8-summit... on the right you can sea and beach...)

2007DBRMolliRauchV34F30-vi.jpg

2007DBRMolliWaldkapV37F33-vi.jpg

2007DBRMolliWaldV38F34-vi.jpg

No idea - why it is so popular...

If I would be the very first time in Warnemünde this would not be my first choice.

If you manage it yourself it's about 25.00 EUR pp.

It's a steam train in old cars. You see typical German country side. You can walk around in old traditional sea-resorts. That's it.

But it's something for those who are not willing to invest in time.

As you can see: it's not expensive to do Berlin OR other places lake Lübeck, Schwerin, Güstrow, Wismar, Rostock on your own.

It's somehow time comsuption to do the researches.

Once you are in Bad Doberan (where Molli-Train starts) you can go to Wismar as it is on the same train line.

If you like to see landscape, like old trains, like to walk around on beaches and to enjoy some German food at the promenade: It's perfect.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 4 weeks later...
Is there a "hop on hop off" bus tour you can recommend?

Not really:

simple reason:

it's a pool. So each of them sell the tickets for the same tours - so I think it's a joint service of few companies:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/Common/Document/field/file/id/5253/filename/TopTour-Flyer%5B1%5D+2008.pdf

(Live comments in German/English)

http://www.severin-kuehn.de/en/details/citytour.php?ref=city-circle_a.html

(Recorded comments in 8 languages)

So it's a question of personal taste.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Dear Heinbloed,

we are a family of 6 (4 kids under 15) arriving on the Norwegian Jewel on July 31st. (8am to 10pm)

I am a little bit overwhelmwed by all the information on this thread and would really appreciate it if you could help me figure out the quickest, cheapest way for us to get to berlin. The 9 am start time for the Lander tickets you refer to won't pose a problem for us really (I think?) since we are only arriving at 8 am anyway?

We are also thinking of renting a minivan and driving to Berlin. We can rent one for about 150 euros plus delivery/collection charges. Do you think this would be better for us? Is it easy to get around Berlin by car? Is parking, etc a problem?

We would like an easy day without rushing, panick or worry. Do you think we should just forget Berlin and stick to Rostock? :)

Thank you for sharing your expertise. It is very generous of you to give so much time advising us all!

we are a family of 6 (4 kids under 15) arriving on the Norwegian Jewel on July 31st. (8am to 10pm)

I am a little bit overwhelmwed by all the information on this thread and would really appreciate it if you could help me figure out the quickest, cheapest way for us to get to berlin. The 9 am start time for the Lander tickets you refer to won't pose a problem for us really (I think?) since we are only arriving at 8 am anyway?

I would not say it this way:

4 of you are your under 15 and I guess your own children:

i. e. Länderticket also covering more than 5 persons if

parents or grand parents with all children under 15 from one family

As you just need to buy additional tickets from Warnemünde to Rostock to cover the time until 9 it would be very attractive for you:

2 x adults @ 1.70 EUR = 3.40 EUR

4 x children @ 1.30 EUR = 5.20 EUR

1 x Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern = 25.00 EUR

1 x Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin = 26.00 EUR

-----------------------------------------------------

totally 59.60 EUR = about 90 USD for all 6 of you

=========================================

200808310837HROB-vi.jpg

I think this price cannot beat by anything else...

BUT as your ship is leaving at 22.00 hrs you should think about to use the ICE train back:

200807311812BHRO-vi.jpg

There is a very great special and you pay for using the high-speed train only 58 EUR for all six of you:

But there is a trick:

You must do two bookings on http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml:

1st booking 1 adult + 4 children for 29.00 EUR

2nd booking 1 adult seperately for 29.00 EUR

Because only 5 persons can be done at once. Otherwise one child has to pay. It's a trick.

So you can stay for more than 5 hours in Berlin.

If you have a chance to be 7.45 hrs at the station than you'll go this itinery - but also the cruise ship call list of Port of Rostock show 08.00 hrs as berthing time. Maybe you are lucky: you never know:

200807310807HROB-vi.jpg

BUT you only buy

1 x Länderticket Berlin-Brandenburg 25.00 EUR +

1 adult + 4 children to Waren (Müritz) @ ttl. 16.10 EUR

1 adult to Waren (Müritz) @ 16.10 EUR

My personal suggestion if you decide to use the train:

Book now the ICE from Berlin to Warnemünde for 58.00 EUR subject they are still available...

Only the tickets for Berlin you should buy in Warnemünde to keep your full flexibility to buy the cheapest tickets for Berlin, save money to get back from Berlin as late as possible but with a high discount and having fun sitting in a high-speed train with your family.

We are also thinking of renting a minivan and driving to Berlin. We can rent one for about 150 euros plus delivery/collection charges. Do you think this would be better for us? Is it easy to get around Berlin by car? Is parking, etc a problem?
I think it should be better for you to ask for a 7-seater (!!!)

Volkswagen Touran

or

Ford Galaxy

or

Renaut Espace

They are not counted as mini-van so the tariff is mostly something between Midsize/Compact.

If you ask Hertz you must not pay delivery and collection charges.

I would try it again and asking Hertz St. Petersburger Straße directly and check what they can do for you.

Of course it's more comfortable and safer to have your own car instead of having a train which goes every two hour direct and every two hour with an additional transfer in Schwerin.

But do not forget:

book an GPS which get traffic information and guide you safer back to your ship if there is an incident on the roads.

and maybe it's more relaxed if you park your car not in Berlin City Center but outside at the city limit at the end of the highway access and use the subway to get in/out.

We would like an easy day without rushing, panick or worry. Do you think we should just forget Berlin and stick to Rostock? :)
O.K. Let's do it the other way around: what would advise me:

Guess: I have never been in the US before...

My ship only berth in Newport RI and I have the unique chance to see New York City with a full-day shore excursion and I know that in the next 10 years I maybe have not the opportunity get to the US again.

What would you tell me to do???

It's difficult to say:

what I would definately not do: staying in Rostock for the whole day if I have other many options.

Are you from the countryside or are you from a modern big city without history???

So if I never have been in Germany before I do not have the chance to do it soon again: I would go to Berlin.

Ohterwise instead of going to Rostock: visit the countryside alongside of the Baltic Sea and go to Lübeck to Niederegger: Your kids will love you for it.

Book a car and be flexible and decide what you and your family's heart is telling you:

Nice weather and maybe a little bit tired: go on the countryside.

Worse weather and your feet still do not hurt: go to Berlin.

With a car you do not need to decide now. But you should be prepared for both options.

Have a great time during your stay in Germany!!!

Willkommen in Deutschland!!!

Welcome to Germany!!!

HeinBloed

Dear Heinbloed,

Thank you so much. Your comments have helped us to decide. I think we'd kick ourselves if we don't go to Berlin, so Berlin it is!

Given our "late" arrival of 8am, I think the ICE train is a must, and at that special price, very affordable. Cheaper than renting a 7 seater, and I believe the train station in Berlin is right in the midst of many of the attractions?

I hope the ship arrives early. We'd love to make the 8:02 train. We aren't even sure if we'll make the 8:37 (sometimes the crew doesn't let you get off right away, I hear)...but the next one leaving at around 10 am will get us to Berlin at 1:15, which is only about 45 minutes later than the 8:37 does. The ICE train leaves at 6:12, so we'll have close to 5 hours no matter what...that'll have to do!

I've bought the ICE train tickets online and printed them out. We'll wait as you suggest to purchase the tickets to Berlin until we know which train we'll be taking.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us...it's so generous of you and REALLY APPRECIATED!!!

Given our "late" arrival of 8am, I think the ICE train is a must, and at that special price, very affordable. Cheaper than renting a 7 seater, and I believe the train station in Berlin is right in the midst of many of the attractions?

Subject you'll find this exit (Washingtonplatz):

Berlin06EGHbf3-vi.jpg

You'll see:

Berlin07Waspl-vi.jpg

It's 15 minutes walk to Reichstag and you can see it already from here:

Berlin10Waspl4-vi.jpg

So for the worst case that you did too much sightseeing in the Central Station and your feet already hearts: Do you see the waiting hut? Bus M85 is taking you directly every 10 minutes in 5 minutes to the Reichstag (Dome) and Brandenburg Gate:

Since you need to have a Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin it's free for you: all you need to do is to show the ticket to the driver and get in.

Most conductor and drivers know that it's valid for 5 persons. As you are 6 download this brochure:

http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/dbregio/ausfluege/berlinbran/brandenburgticketrabatte/2007/MDB39453-bbt_herbst_2007_web.pdf

Have page 2 with you:

Für Eltern oder Großeltern (max. zwei Erwachsene) mit beliebig

vielen Kindern/Enkeln bis zu 15 Jahren.

which means: For Parents and Grandparents (max. two adults) with any number of Children/Grandchildren upto 15 years old.

This rule apply to you.

In der 2. Klasse in allen Nahverkehrszügen sowie in S-Bahn,

U-Bahn, Straßenbahn und Bussen der Verkehrsunternehmen

des Verkehrsverbundes Berlin-Brandenburg (VBB).

which means: In the 2nd class of all local trains as well as in commuter trains (S-trains), Subway (U-Bahn), Tram (Straßenbahn) and Buses of the transport companies of the Tarif Union Berlin-Brandenburg (Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg (VBB)). BVG (= Berlin Transport Company) is part of VBB.

So anytime you get "problems", just show the download of the brochures.

Subject you have not been in Chicago before at

Legoland Discovery Center

you can present your Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin also to get discount.

I hope the ship arrives early. We'd love to make the 8:02 train. We aren't even sure if we'll make the 8:37 (sometimes the crew doesn't let you get off right away, I hear)...but the next one leaving at around 10 am will get us to Berlin at 1:15, which is only about 45 minutes later than the 8:37 does. The ICE train leaves at 6:12, so we'll have close to 5 hours no matter what...that'll have to do!

Pefectly researched. Subject you'll do not get so soon from the ship indeed you'll get the connection arriving 13.15 hrs in Berlin. And as you have the ICE tickets... you'll still have 5 hours!!!

But then you do not need to buy the single tickets to Rostock anymore. You can start after 9 am from Warnemünde and just need to have the Ländertickets Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Brandenburg-Berlin.

I've bought the ICE train tickets online and printed them out.

So did you still get 29.00 EUR Super Saver Tickets??? Great!!! You are a lucky man as they are not unlimited and only sold on first come first serve basis.

Important: are all 4 kids in the tickets covered as I told???

1 adult + 4 children on one ticket and

1 adult seperately???

Otherwise children do not travel free if not shown on the ticket!!!

We'll wait as you suggest to purchase the tickets to Berlin until we know which train we'll be taking.

Absolutely!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

N.B. Have you downloaded this:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/DB-Long-Distance-Ticket-Machine-BB.pdf

http://home.arcor.de/yao/DB-Long-Distance-Ticket-Machine-MV.pdf

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Warnemuende.pdf

http://home.arcor.de/yao/BerlinGuide.pdf

and you can send me an e-mail to

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

Please replace "nickname" by my nickname used in this forum.

I can send you one more thing by mail to help you with your plannings.

By this way:

you can buy me a drink once you arrive on August 9 in Dover...

I think that you just leave from board and I am going onboard of the NORWEGIAN JEWEL...

So have fun but tell your children: NO DAMAGES PLEASE as I am a following passenger...

I made recently photos of the ship when she was in Miami so I know how she looks like...

NCLSun20430NCLJuwel-vi.jpg

When you are onboard and the man on the verandah is still Captain:

NCLSun20428NCLJuwel-vi.jpg

Please send me a short e-mail from the ship or from the Baltic Point (Building next from Warnemünde Cruise Terminal) to let me know if he is still obboard.

Thank you.

HeinBloed

What I forgot to tell:

As you are using ICE back to Warnemünde and you'll find this display:

2008ICEAnzeigeBahnsteig-vi.jpg

The 2nd class cars are in platform section G (white letters in blue squares alongside of the platform).

2007DBSection-vi.jpg

The cars in section A-D will remain in Berlin Central Station.

So do not wonder if you do not move to Warnemünde if you are in the wrong car...

But do not worry:

1. announcements in English are made as well...

2. they check all the cars in the 2nd part of train which will remain in Berlin before they close the doors...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Dear Heinbloed,

I've had a look at your guides and I will be printing out the Berlin walking tour. I'm not sure if we'll be able to do it all, but we'll give it a shot!

Yes, we purchased the ICE train tickets for 29 euros each: 2 separate tickets with one adult and 2 children on each.

I have taken your advice and printed off page 2 of the brochure so I will be prepared for the Berlin bus drivers!

Thank you for your offer to mail us additional information. You are very kind but as there are only 4 mail days left before we leave, I do not think it will arrive in time. Thank you all the same.

When we arrive in Dover, our plans are to leave the ship as early as they will allow. We will be taking the train to London and we are hoping to arrive in London early enough to do a good bit of sightseeing. Our flight leaves the next day.

It would be a pleasure to meet you in Dover. Will you be there in the morning when we disembark? How shall we arrange to meet?

Heinbloed,

We traveled from Warnemunde to Berlin yesterday---many thanks for all your help. You made our trip go well!

One small problem: we were not able to figure out how to use the ticketing machines in Warnemunde, so we went to the ticket office. As you instructed, we attempted to purchase 3 one-way tickets Warnemunde-Warren (Muritz) and one Lander ticket. The agent insisted that this was not proper and insisted that we purchase tickets to (I think) Furstenburg instead of Warren (Muritz). She showed us a map that indicated that Furstenburg is the first stop in the Brandenburg region and thus the first stop that qualifies for the Lander ticket.

Anyway, the cost was an additional 21 Euros---the agent on the train seemed to indicate that we could have purchased tickets to Warren (Muritz), as you suggested. All in all, not a big deal. I guess it just shows that not everyone understand the fare rules as well as Heinbloed.

Heinbloed,

We traveled from Warnemunde to Berlin yesterday---many thanks for all your help. You made our trip go well!

One small problem: we were not able to figure out how to use the ticketing machines in Warnemunde, so we went to the ticket office. As you instructed, we attempted to purchase 3 one-way tickets Warnemunde-Warren (Muritz) and one Lander ticket. The agent insisted that this was not proper and insisted that we purchase tickets to (I think) Furstenburg instead of Warren (Muritz). She showed us a map that indicated that Furstenburg is the first stop in the Brandenburg region and thus the first stop that qualifies for the Lander ticket.

Anyway, the cost was an additional 21 Euros---the agent on the train seemed to indicate that we could have purchased tickets to Warren (Muritz), as you suggested. All in all, not a big deal. I guess it just shows that not everyone understand the fare rules as well as Heinbloed.

I feel sorry to learn about the bad experience with the Warnemünde ticket sales.

It's clearly regulated:

while you can go with a Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in certain places outside Mecklenburg-Vorpommern of course you can go with Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin to places outside Brandenburg-Berlin.

One of the places located in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern but covered by the Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin is Waren (Müritz).

To avoid disappointments and same bad experience other cruisers should have this website as print-out with them:

http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/berlin_brbg/bahnregional/freizeit/brandenburgticket.shtml

It's clearly regulated:

Covered destinations outside of Brandenburg-Berlin are the routes from Fürstenberg (Havel) to Waren (Müritz) and Neubrandenburg.

I can offer you that you contact me at

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

(Please replace my nickname by my nickname used in this forum)

Germany Railways has a great customer service and I am sure that I can get a refund for you.

Or they will refund me and I can send you by PayPal or the next time cash in an enveloppe when I am in the US.

I am sorry to learn that you made this disappointing experience and had to pay more than necessary because the knowledge at the ticket desk was missed.

Mostly I hope that Berlin was not disappointing at all and you are double angry about this incident.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

For the last hour I have been going through this thread to figure out how we can get from Warnemunde to Berlin. But I am so confused with Lander ticket and ICE train. I am just wondering if someone can give a simple instruction.

We are four adults. Arriving on the Norwegian Jewel on August 26 8:00 a.m. We have a senior with us so we plan on a easy trip. Just want to get a feel for Berlin, nothing too strenuous.

So my questions:

How far is Warnemunde train station from dock?

What ticket to buy?

Once I get to Berlin Central Station, is there hop-on, hop-off bus?

What ticket to buy to come back to Warnemunde?

I know all that information is hidden in this wonderful thread. But the information is just too overwhelming now. Thanks in advance.

David

Hi,

For the last hour I have been going through this thread to figure out how we can get from Warnemunde to Berlin. But I am so confused with Lander ticket and ICE train. I am just wondering if someone can give a simple instruction.

Länderticket is a day pass for single states which is valid from 09.00 am to 03.00 am of the next day.

ICE is a long distance train and only apply one daily connection from Warnemünde to Berlin.

The train towards Berlin left before your ship arrives in Warnemünde and does not apply to your trip.

But you may use the return as comfortable way to get back to Warnemünde:

200808261641BHRO-vi.jpg

Your ship is leaving at 22.00 hrs. So to maximize your time in Berlin you should select the ICE train back from Berlin otherwise you need to leave already at 16.43 hrs from Berlin.

We are four adults. Arriving on the Norwegian Jewel on August 26 8:00 a.m. We have a senior with us so we plan on a easy trip. Just want to get a feel for Berlin, nothing too strenuous.

Well 08.00 hrs is very late compared to all other ships, i. e. the earliest connections are:

200808260837HROB-vi.jpg

As you can see:

08.37 hrs could be a little bit tough to reach.

10.07 hrs is the realistic option you have - but as you can see arrival 13.15 hrs.

So to optimize your time in Berlin you should better return at 18.12 hrs by ICE instead of 16.43 hrs.

So my questions:

How far is Warnemunde train station from dock?

One pic says more than thousand words:

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

You can make it in 6-8 minutes from your ship to the train.

What ticket to buy?

You buy

one Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 25.00 EUR

one Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin for 26.00 EUR

for a group of five.

Do not buy online. 3.50 EUR for shipping by mail.

Do not buy at ticket counter. 2.00 EUR more.

Best buy at ticket machine.

Once I get to Berlin Central Station, is there hop-on, hop-off bus?

BVG - The Berlin Transport Company provides tours from Central Station. Check here for departure times. Central Station = Hauptbahnhof.

What ticket to buy to come back to Warnemunde?

Subject you are returning at 16.43 hrs:

you do not need any tickets.

Subject you are sure that you are going and will take the 18.12 hrs ICE-train back to Warnemünde (direct service without transfer) you can get high discounted tickets in the internet from the website of German Railways). First come - first serve - no change - no refund.

If you want full flexibility: 47.00 EUR pp - no senior discount.

Have a great day in Berlin!!!

Willkommen in Deutschland!!!

Welcome to Germany!!!

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's not popular here, but with a party of 6 - including 2 seniors and 2 teenagers - we decided to just pay the $339 pp and take the 12 hour ship's excursion (Norwegean Jewel Aug 11th cruise). I was very worried with getting back to the ship on time with such a long trip.

We had a fabulous tour (lucked out and had one of the best tour guides I've personally ever had - his name was Rene) the train trip there afforded a great napping opportunity, we had a very informative bus tour (with stops at all the sites we wanted to see), a great arranged lunch at a palace, a visit to their antiquities museum and we were so lucky with the weather (low 70's and sunny) for a sightseeing cruise - a very full day!

We all thought it was well worth the money - especially when something happened with the tracks on our train trip back and we were an hour and a half late getting back - what if that happened and we were on our own? Bye, Bye ship - see you in Talin :D

I'm not saying a private (cheaper) tour, or even a very well researched do it yourself day would not have been as nice and the journey back to the ship trouble free - but just wanted others to know - some people do think the ship's tours are worth it.

On the other hand - we used Alla in St. Pete's and were thrilled with the 2 day's we spent with our guide Victoria and driver Sergey. I felt safe doing a private tour there - I figured because of the blanket visa situation, they would move heaven and earth to get us to the ship on time.

• 1 month later...

Heinbloed----I took your suggestion to write snail-mail to DB Bahn to request a refund for the Warnemunde ticket clerk's mistake.

I just now received a refund to my credit card of $35.

Many thanks for your help with this matter. You are a great asset to this board.

Jim

Heinbloed----I took your suggestion to write snail-mail to DB Bahn to request a refund for the Warnemunde ticket clerk's mistake.

I just now received a refund to my credit card of $35.

Many thanks for your help with this matter. You are a great asset to this board.

Jim

Glad to hear that their customer service still works.

Now you can afford to buy me a drink next time in Warnemünde...

Have a great time!

HeinBloed

:) :) :) just want to take this opportunity to thank you for your help with the train schedule from Warnemunde to Schwerin...We chose a leisurely day rather than going to Berlin and we had a wonderful time..I thought it would be nerve racking but it was easy...we took some of the most beautiful photos here .. ..again many thanks...

Not really:

simple reason:

it's a pool. So each of them sell the tickets for the same tours - so I think it's a joint service of few companies:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/Common/Document/field/file/id/5253/filename/TopTour-Flyer%5B1%5D+2008.pdf

(Live comments in German/English)

http://www.severin-kuehn.de/en/details/citytour.php?ref=city-circle_a.html

(Recorded comments in 8 languages)

So it's a question of personal taste.

Regards,

HeinBloed

:) :) :) just want to take this opportunity to thank you for your help with the train schedule from Warnemunde to Schwerin...We chose a leisurely day rather than going to Berlin and we had a wonderful time..I thought it would be nerve racking but it was easy...we took some of the most beautiful photos here .. ..again many thanks...

Most welcome - glad to hear that you made it and had a good time in Germany.

Best regards from Boston.

HeinBloed

Archived