Who has done the Berlin train trip?

i have read through all of this thread, and it is full of great information. i am overwhelmed with all. i agree with all the others, you are a wonderful resource and much appreciated.

we are docking in warnemunde on 6/20/09, which is a saturday. we are aware of the happy weekend ticket. it lists it at 34 euros for up to 5 people.

i understand that this ticket will enable us to use the trains in berlin.

i've seen some train schedules on this thread indicating the trip could be almost 4 hours and others 3. and i've seen reference to the ICE train.

1. if we buy a happy weekend ticket, will it be a 3 hour trip? what makes some of the trips longer?

2. if you buy the ticket online, ahead of time, do you suggest paying extra for seats?

3. if we dock at 6am and the ship leaves port at 9pm, what are the most appropriate trains to book?

4. are the trains in germany mostly on time? traveling on our own makes me want to be very aware of getting back in time.

5. do you recommend the hop on/hop off buses?

6. what is the ICE train?

:) thanks,

we are docking in warnemunde on 6/20/09, which is a saturday. we are aware of the happy weekend ticket. it lists it at 34 euros for up to 5 people.

i understand that this ticket will enable us to use the trains in berlin.

i've seen some train schedules on this thread indicating the trip could be almost 4 hours and others 3. and i've seen reference to the ICE train.

Happy-Weekend-Ticket is from this year: 37.00 EUR - but still a good bargain as it works like a one-day-pass incl. public transport in Berlin.

1. if we buy a happy weekend ticket, will it be a 3 hour trip? what makes some of the trips longer?

every two hour there is a direct train from Rostock to Berlin.

every two hour there is a connecting train via Schwerin. This connection takes longer.

2. if you buy the ticket online, ahead of time, do you suggest paying extra for seats?

you do...

BUT you can have seats free - first come first serve - but if you want to make sure that you get a seat you pay for a seat reservation...

BUT you can have seat reservations only on long-distance-trains but not on Regional Train Service which are provided on the route Rostock - Berlin (one exception only).

SO on the regular trains to Berlin you do not need a seat reservation: and as the train starts in Rostock and you may take one earlier commuter train from Warnemünde to Rostock you will find an empty train.

3. if we dock at 6am and the ship leaves port at 9pm, what are the most appropriate trains to book?

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-berlin-train-schedule-2009.html

Scroll down for the red section.

4. are the trains in germany mostly on time? traveling on our own makes me want to be very aware of getting back in time.

Murphy's law...

If you do need the on time because you are late yourself they are on time...

If you are in hurry then they are most delayed...

The punctuality rate of German Railways is quite good according to my personal feeling.

Some times more - some times less.

If you like to get your own feeling:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/bhftafel.exe/en?ld=212.94&rt=1&

Enter as Station "Berlin Hbf".

The best you do it for a couple of days around 16.00 hrs our Central European Daylight Time (UTC +2):

You can see how punctual your train is.

So you get your own feeling.

5. do you recommend the hop on/hop off buses?

This is one option to discover Berlin... and a very good one.

Personally: although you are on a big cruise ship... I would personally recommend the river/canal cruises in Berlin:

a good speed to see everything and a very relaxing way...

And the same for renting a bike:

fast enough to get quickly from one spot to the next...

slow enough to see everything while riding...

Have you seen this already:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/berlin-germany-walking-and-public.html

6. what is the ICE train?

An ICE train is an Inter City Express train - which is the premium train of German Railways.

http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/mobility/trains/ice.shtml

Are you living at the East Coast Boston - New York - Washington DC-corridor???

ICE was the competitor of Amtrak's today's Acelar train and was the other option to the Acelar train when Amtrak had to decide. One train was tested between Boston and Washington.

So it's a high-speed-train which goes Sunday to Friday to Warnemünde and returns Monday to Saturday from Warnemünde.

If you want to test the train:

around 9.00 am you can leave from Warnemünde directly (without transfers) to Berlin but you will be there later than the Regional Train connection (around noon).

29.00 EUR high-discounted-tickets should be available for one trip per person.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking for information on the train to Lubeck from Kiel. Arriving on June 8, 6am to 5pm, Rotterdam. Does anyone know how far the station is from the dock in Kiel? Also which stop in Lubeck if there are multiple stations? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

We are looking for information on the train to Lubeck from Kiel. Arriving on June 8, 6am to 5pm, Rotterdam. Does anyone know how far the station is from the dock in Kiel? Also which stop in Lubeck if there are multiple stations? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Your answer is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=968148

Regards,

HeinBloed

I have read many of the threads about taking the train to Berlin and the Happy Weekend Ticket and know it is also good for all Berlin transportation on Saturday :) and have checked the link to http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de but I am confused. It lists Warnemunde Strand, Warnemunde Fahre, and Warnemunde Friedhof. Which one is the port location? We dock May 23 09 at 9AM and sail 11:59PM. Looks like we have almost an hour before the train leaves. Heinbloed has remarked that the train from Warnemunde begins there so no problem to get seats, What about returning from Berlin that night? Is there ever a problem getting seats leaving Berlin? Should we reserve for the return trip?

I am so grateful for all the help Heinbloed gives to all us cruisers:D. If I had not found his info on the Happy Weekend ticket I probably would not have even attempted Berlin in one day, but we have a sea day before and after so we will see all we can in 15 hours!

Hello,

First of all, thanks so much for all the incredibly helpful and detailed information you have already provided to so many of us. Was wondering if you could answer a few follow-up questions:

We will be taking the train from Warnemunde to Berlin on Sunday, 28 June using the Happy Weekend ticket for 4 of us. Does that entitle us to come back on any non-ICE train, or do we commit in advance to both the departing and returning trains?

We plan to depart at 8:07 and arrive Berlin 11:15. Is there a way to know in advance the train or or track numbers involved?

If your ship was departing at 23:00 from Warnemunde, would you feel comfortable getting in on the train arriving at 22:01, or would you play it safe and arrive at 19:51? Depending on your answer, do you know the train/track numbers for the one you recommend?

I think it was you who recommended Insider Tours -- if so, thanks in advance. We will be using them and find them great to deal with so far.

Many thanks.

I think we want to do the 12 hr cruise excursion from Warmunde/Rostock to Berlin. As the cruise ship lists at approx $300 pp incl train, guide and lunch - is it a good value? We don't want to drive and like the idea of traveling by train. Do they give you any info heading into Berlin or does the "tour" start only once you are off the train? Your past experience would be a great help!!

We opted for this cruise ship excursion in 2007 and it was one of the most memorable trips on our Baltic Cruise. It was better than anticipated. There were six seats in a small cabin (2 rows of 3 which faced each other). They were comfortable, upholstered with backs. They included box snacks/lunch on the the 3-hour trip. It was nice seeing the German countryside enroute. During our tour we had lunch at a Hof Brau, good food and drinks (also included). We were very impressed with the tour overall and we were a little apprehensive in the beginning because of the cost. It was well worth the $$$ and we would do this trip again if we had the opportunity. We opted for the ship excursion because it was so far away and did not want to take any chance of missing the ship.

Enjoy your cruise and this port. Have fun.

I have read many of the threads about taking the train to Berlin and the Happy Weekend Ticket and know it is also good for all Berlin transportation on Saturday :) and have checked the link to http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de but I am confused. It lists Warnemunde Strand, Warnemunde Fahre, and Warnemunde Friedhof. Which one is the port location? We dock May 23 09 at 9AM and sail 11:59PM. Looks like we have almost an hour before the train leaves. Heinbloed has remarked that the train from Warnemunde begins there so no problem to get seats, What about returning from Berlin that night? Is there ever a problem getting seats leaving Berlin? Should we reserve for the return trip?

I am so grateful for all the help Heinbloed gives to all us cruisers:D. If I had not found his info on the Happy Weekend ticket I probably would not have even attempted Berlin in one day, but we have a sea day before and after so we will see all we can in 15 hours!

As it is mentioned in all postings:

Just ignore the warning with several entries of Warnemünde and confirm "Warnemünde" without anything else.

Happy Weekend Tickets are only valid on Regional Trains.

So no reservation possible.

Reservations are only possible on Long-Distance-Trains like ICE but there the Happy-Weekend-Ticket is not valid.

Saturday evening is not the typical travelling time in Germany. So it would be very calm from Berlin as well.

From Warnemünde it's always empty as the train to Rostock starts from there. Same from Rostock towards Berlin.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello,

First of all, thanks so much for all the incredibly helpful and detailed information you have already provided to so many of us. Was wondering if you could answer a few follow-up questions:

We will be taking the train from Warnemunde to Berlin on Sunday, 28 June using the Happy Weekend ticket for 4 of us. Does that entitle us to come back on any non-ICE train, or do we commit in advance to both the departing and returning trains?

We plan to depart at 8:07 and arrive Berlin 11:15. Is there a way to know in advance the train or or track numbers involved?

If your ship was departing at 23:00 from Warnemunde, would you feel comfortable getting in on the train arriving at 22:01, or would you play it safe and arrive at 19:51? Depending on your answer, do you know the train/track numbers for the one you recommend?

I think it was you who recommended Insider Tours -- if so, thanks in advance. We will be using them and find them great to deal with so far.

Many thanks.

Hello,

1. you will find

in Warnemünde

after leaving the tunnel

in Rostock

once you arrive in the tunnel along the wall of the tram platforms

in Berlin

after you enter the station building

about actual departures and the platforms.

2. you will find

in all German stations on yellow boards about all departures platforms

3. you will find

the information here AFTER June 13, 2009 because for all who are travelling after June 13, 2009 it would be confirmed then as we have schedule change from winter to summer schedule and only the platforms are not confirmed yet.

Earlier or later connection...

It's a question of personal preferences.

I dislike to return at the last minute to the ship.

Depends also what is the next port or if a day on sea follows.

If Kiel would the next place: I would do it...

Only ICE-Sprinter trains require obligatory reservations and commitment. With a Happy-Weekend-Ticket you have a day pass and can go on any train you want - as long as it is no ICE. No reservation possible. So no commitment.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thnaks sailaway 5 for the vote of confidence for the ships train tour.My husband has been looking forward to the train part for months and we don't want to worry about getting a ticket, missing a train, changing trains or missing the ship on return. I would be worrying the whole trip about doing the train on our own. This way we can relax and enjoy the whole cruise and our day in Berlin.

We are planning on doing a ship excursion of the Berlin train and I have a question to those that have done the train.

If we are lucky enough to choose our seat, is there a better side of the train to sit on to get the best views. Thanks

I'm having such a hard time making a decision about taking either the ship provided shore excurion or a private one in Berlin. I know it's stupid but I'm torn about missing out on the train ride by taking the private excursion.

Me, too. I really enjoy train trips -especially in Europe. Not to mention all the other issues - like trying to navigate the train stations on our own (it's doable but I found out in Italy that it's not as easy as it seems when everything is in a foreign language), the worry of making it back to the ship, etc. Normally, I'm all for private tours but I'm leaning toward doing the HAL group tour that also offers three hours on your own in Berlin. It's pricey but I think it would give us the best of both worlds - an overview of the city and sights and time to do our own thing.

Thnaks sailaway 5 for the vote of confidence for the ships train tour.My husband has been looking forward to the train part for months and we don't want to worry about getting a ticket, missing a train, changing trains or missing the ship on return. I would be worrying the whole trip about doing the train on our own. This way we can relax and enjoy the whole cruise and our day in Berlin.

You will really enjoy this --- never rushed --- never pushed --- Our ship tour was by bus, river and train. Pay attention on the train trip of the graffitti in certain areas --- pretty country though, cows, cottages and small towns. We would do this again in a heartbeat. Well worth it --- everything about it...

Happy travels --- via rail...

P.S. Let us know after your trip if you were as impressed as we were.

We are planning on doing a ship excursion of the Berlin train and I have a question to those that have done the train.

If we are lucky enough to choose our seat, is there a better side of the train to sit on to get the best views. Thanks

We were on the HAL ship excursion to Berlin. I am sure most other cruiseships offer the same type tour. Our train car had 2 rows of 3-seats each facing each other in a small cabin. The windows by the seats were only on the right side of the train (starboard) --- so try and get one of the window seats. I sat by the window (as I take the most pictures), my DH in the middle seat. You could get up, however and walk around. There were also windows in the "hallway" adjacent to our "cabin". You could stand and look out of those as well. There was bathroom facilities on the train as well as a bar where you could purchase beverages. When we got off the train, we boarded a bus for a "city tour"..... Then on to a river/canal cruise for more history. Saw the Brandenberg Gate and Berlin Wall too. Was an awesome experience.

Enjoy your trip.

Dear HeinBloed and others,

I've read alot of your posts and truly appreciate your expertise. My friend and I will be in Berlin (Warnemunde) on Tuesday, July 14 from 7am - 9:30pm. I have never been to Germany, but my friend did spend 4 days in Berlin once before so what we do is my choice, however she does not want to spend a lot of money on a tour. I also would like to stay on a budget.

Do you think it is realistic for us to take the train on our own to Berlin, see some of the major sites including Jewish sites (Holocaust Memorial, New Synagogue, and Jewish Museum), and also visit The Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp and be able to make it back to our ship on time?

Do you recommend visiting the camp on the way to Berlin or on the way back to the ship? Also, are we able to get off and on the train, or is there another mode of transportation recommended?

Thanks so much for your help!

Karen

sclhsrock@yahoo.com

Dear HeinBloed and others,

I've read alot of your posts and truly appreciate your expertise. My friend and I will be in Berlin (Warnemunde) on Tuesday, July 14 from 7am - 9:30pm. I have never been to Germany, but my friend did spend 4 days in Berlin once before so what we do is my choice, however she does not want to spend a lot of money on a tour. I also would like to stay on a budget.

Do you think it is realistic for us to take the train on our own to Berlin, see some of the major sites including Jewish sites (Holocaust Memorial, New Synagogue, and Jewish Museum), and also visit The Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp and be able to make it back to our ship on time?

Do you recommend visiting the camp on the way to Berlin or on the way back to the ship? Also, are we able to get off and on the train, or is there another mode of transportation recommended?

Thanks so much for your help!

Karen

sclhsrock@yahoo.com

You must choose Sachsenhausen OR Jewish Museum.

Jewish Museum is located in Kreuzberg and you a need a LITTLE extra time as it is not in the tourist district like Holocaust Memorial and New Synagogue.

I would also recommend to rent a car and drive yourself.

Sachsenhausen (= Oranienburg) is on the way to Berlin but off-side of the train station.

Then I would leave the car at the city border to avoid driving in Berlin and to use the subway:

New Synagogue is located close to subway station Oranienburger Tor

Holocaust Monument is located close to subway station Französische Straße

Jewish Museum is located close to subway station Kochstraße (Checkpoint Charlie)

all three stations are connected to subway route U6 which makes it very easy it takes to you Borsigwerke where a good parking close to highway from Rostock - Oranienburg is located.

So if you take the car:

you can be in Sachsenhausen by 10.00 am

after you leave at 12.00 am

you are 12.30 am in Tegel to park your car

13.30 hrs at Jewish Museum

15.00 hrs at Holocaust-Monument

16.00 hrs at New Synagogue

17.30 hrs latest time you should start from Tegel (but as you have not been in downtown you are directly on interstates and no congestion)

20.30 hrs you are back in Warnemünde

That would be the only chance to see all four spots for my taste and have a little time to spend at each of the spots.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks so much! This is a lot to process and I am sure I will have many more questions. One I can already think of: is car rental easy from the port?

You must choose Sachsenhausen OR Jewish Museum.

Jewish Museum is located in Kreuzberg and you a need a LITTLE extra time as it is not in the tourist district like Holocaust Memorial and New Synagogue.

I would also recommend to rent a car and drive yourself.

Sachsenhausen (= Oranienburg) is on the way to Berlin but off-side of the train station.

Then I would leave the car at the city border to avoid driving in Berlin and to use the subway:

New Synagogue is located close to subway station Oranienburger Tor

Holocaust Monument is located close to subway station Französische Straße

Jewish Museum is located close to subway station Kochstraße (Checkpoint Charlie)

all three stations are connected to subway route U6 which makes it very easy it takes to you Borsigwerke where a good parking close to highway from Rostock - Oranienburg is located.

So if you take the car:

you can be in Sachsenhausen by 10.00 am

after you leave at 12.00 am

you are 12.30 am in Tegel to park your car

13.30 hrs at Jewish Museum

15.00 hrs at Holocaust-Monument

16.00 hrs at New Synagogue

17.30 hrs latest time you should start from Tegel (but as you have not been in downtown you are directly on interstates and no congestion)

20.30 hrs you are back in Warnemünde

That would be the only chance to see all four spots for my taste and have a little time to spend at each of the spots.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks so much! This is a lot to process and I am sure I will have many more questions. One I can already think of: is car rental easy from the port?

Let me sing it for you like Freddy Mercury and QUEEN:

"It's so easy.... when you know the rules... It's so eaaaaaasy..."

Check here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-car-rental.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 months later...

HeinBloed, i need your help. thx, ben

why Footnote(2) pay less than Footnote(1) while departuring earlier

(8.33 hrs dep Rostock Hbf track 7) vs (9.08 hrs dep Rostock Hbf track 6)?

8.37 hrs dep Warnemünde track 4

8.58 hrs arr Rostock Hbf track 1

9.08 hrs dep Rostock Hbf track 6

10.10 hrs arr Schwerin Hbf track 4a

10.14 hrs dep Schwerin Hbf track 3

12.36 hrs arr Berlin Hbf track 1

Footnote (1)

Footnote (1): as it is Monday and your ticket is valid after 9 am you need a ticket to cover the time until 9.00 am.

You need to buy an additional local ticket to cover a ticket of

Verkehrsverbund Warnow

Einzelfahrkarte Gesamt VVW

(Single Ticket Entire Network VVW)

each 5.20 EUR

To be optimistic:

8.02 hrs dep Warnemünde track 4

8.23 hrs arr Rostock Hbf track 2

8.33 hrs dep Rostock Hbf track 7

11.16 hrs arr Berlin Hbf track 1

Footnote (2)

Footnote (2): as it is Monday and your ticket is valid after 9 am you need a ticket to cover the time until 9.00 am.

You need to buy an additional local ticket to cover a ticket of

Verkehrsverbund Warnow

Einzelfahrkarte Rostock

(Single Ticket Rostock)

each 1.60 EUR

Let's make a long story short:

Check when it was posted:

in 2008.

Meanwhile the prices rised...

(1.70 EUR i/o 1.60 EUR...)

and we have a new schedule.

5.20 EUR was the single ticket for Lalendorf (scheduled departure time 09.00 hrs...)

The stop is withdrawn so you must buy a ticket to a stop after Lalendorf:

that's Waren (Müritz) for 16.70 EUR.

So do not use the old information anymore.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi All (and Heinbloed) --

DH and I are now thinking of doing Berlin on our own when we arrive to Warnemunde on May 7. Heinbloed - I saw your post on another site with regard to the Lander Ticket. Is it really true that the cost for the ticket from Warnemunde to Berlin is only 33 Euro pp if traveling with my husband AND this is a round trip ticket for the day? My understanding is that the Lander Ticket is unlimited for the day hence round trip is covered. If this is accurate, do you suggest I buy the ticket online or is there a risk of long lines at the train station in Warnemunde upon disembarking (as this is my first time on a cruise so i'm not sure how smoothly it all goes) so that it may take some time to use the automatic machines? (and I do realize the Ticket Shop to purchase the Lander ticket online is in German language but I can work through that).

Is the Rail Lander Ticket good for use on the subway in Berlin?

Sorry for all the questions. The last time I was in Berlin was 10 yrs ago, and it was enroute from Geneva to Warsaw using my EuroRail, so I have no clue what is the best value using the German rail tickets.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Follow Heinbloed's directions and you will have a great day. We are just off the Constellation. We purchased one ticket on-line per directions and the only glich we had was the cash machine in Warnemunde. For the four of us we calulated that it cost about $35 each. We caught the HOHO bus in Berlin and had plenty of time to hop on and off a couple of times. We took the 14:43 train back and still had time to explore Warnemunde.

Archived