Anyone use The Bus in Oahu?

jaxterry

We found info on The Bus in Oahu - says it goes everywhere for $1.50 a ride. We wanted to go from the pier on the day we return to Honolulu to Pearl Harbor, then from there to airport. (Planning to use Easy Fly and have our bags out of the way).

Anyone use this? We have from arrival time early Sunday am to our flight at 3:30 pm that day, and figured that would give us enough time.

We go to Hawaii frequently, and have NEVER rented a car on Oahu. The Bus fare is now $2.00 ($1.00 if you have a Medicare card). It is very easy to use, and a great way to get around. Cleanest buses we have ever been on!! It will be easy to leave the pier and go to Ala Moana Blvd and catch one of the buses that say Pearl Harbor, and then just leave the Arizona and go back out to the highway and get a bus that says Airport! We go all over the island on The Bus and have found it delightful! We always have plenty of time when we are on Oahu and have found it to be a great way to get around.

Jaxterry,

we are planning on using The Bus in Oct. I wrote an e-mail to the company and they sent us the most wonderfull maps and detailed schedules. It took about 1 1/2 months to get them. If you have enough time they are well worth the wait:)

Jaxterry,

we are planning on using The Bus in Oct. I wrote an e-mail to the company and they sent us the most wonderfull maps and detailed schedules. It took about 1 1/2 months to get them. If you have enough time they are well worth the wait:)

Can you pleae tell me the email address for THE BUS ---I haven't been able to find it ...thanks!

Can you pleae tell me the email address for THE BUS ---I haven't been able to find it ...thanks!

You need to go to the web site and look for customer comments section, it will look like a complaint form ,but just write in the customer comment box of where you want to go and they will send you the correct maps and stuff. Hope you have a great time on THE BUS:D

Yes, Oahu's bus system is one of the best out there. BUT, keep in mind that while they have detailed schedules, don't expect them to keep to those schedules. Give yourself lots of time to get where you're going, and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

If you need to get off one bus and get on another to get to your destinations do you pay the $2 again (even if you only went a few blocks) ??

It looks to me on the schedule that this would be required to get from Wakiki beach to the National Cemetary, ships, and memorials. Would also take well over an hour each way to go less than 5-6 miles ????

:confused:

I just checked the website and you get 1 transfer included in the price of the ticket. We will be getting to Honolulu on Sunday afternoon and board our ship Wed. but it does not depart until Thurs. at 6pm so we are going to pay $20 for a 4 day pass. Think this will be our best option to see all the sites. Julie

If you need to get off one bus and get on another to get to your destinations do you pay the $2 again (even if you only went a few blocks) ??

It looks to me on the schedule that this would be required to get from Wakiki beach to the National Cemetary, ships, and memorials. Would also take well over an hour each way to go less than 5-6 miles ????

:confused:

That is the downside to using The Bus. You've got to factor in the schedule, transfers, and the number of other stops involved. It's a really good public transit system, but it's not going to be "direct" and non-stop. You'll need to weigh the cost versus the convenience versus the flexibility of having a rental car to go where/when you want. Last time we took the bus, we didn't have to transfer going from PH to Waikiki. I don't remember exactly where we got off the bus, but I'm pretty sure it was near the Halekulani. (It's possible to go from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor in less than an hour, but not by all that much. To do it in the shortest time, be sure to take an Express and not a Local.)

beachchick

Last year, we planned to use the bus to save money. We used it our second full day there to go to Pearl Harbor. I found it just took more time than I was willing to give to transportation. I decided I would rather save time than save money. Then I booked shuttles or took taxis. After the cruise, I rented a car.

I know there are people who really like the bus system, and I think it is a really good system, but I do advise weighing your priorities. If it takes too long to get there, will you wish you had that time back to see more of Oahu?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I don't have time to wait for snail mail map. We booked on short notice this time, hee hee, it will be a thrill ride.

So anyone have suggestions based on the following:

We would like to hike Diamond Head and then go to Ala Moana Park. Then back to the ship.

can we do this using the bus? How will we find the right buses? We hope to do this this from about 9am to 4pm or so.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I don't have time to wait for snail mail map. We booked on short notice this time, hee hee, it will be a thrill ride.

So anyone have suggestions based on the following:

We would like to hike Diamond Head and then go to Ala Moana Park. Then back to the ship.

can we do this using the bus? How will we find the right buses? We hope to do this this from about 9am to 4pm or so.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Yes, it's on the bus routes. Here's a link to the Oahu bus system:

http://www.thebus.org/

You should be able to find the various bus numbers you need. If you want a map of Oahu or even just part of the island, you could always do a quick search online. I know there are several good sites with map links.

beachchick

BTW, you have to ask the driver when you get on the bus for a transfer if you want one. The drivers are usually pretty helpful. If you're nervous about which bus to take or missing your stop, just ask the bus driver if you've got the right bus and if he/she will let you know when to get off. It helps if you sit or stand near the driver if you want his/her help with your stops though.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the bus from the pier when we visited about 8 years ago.

It took well over an hour to get to Pearl Harbor and by the time we got there, the wait time to get out to the memorial was 3-4 hours. We had other plans for later in the day and could not wait that long. I would not recommend the bus if you have a limited time schedule or want to see other things.

Archived