Passport Agency Blames the Cruise Lines!!!

arabrab

I applied for my daughter's passport renewal on January 31st, back when the State Department's website was touting a six week regular turnaround. It's been 11 weeks, and still no passport. I sent an email inquiry, and got a reply from Agent 007 (really) telling me that it was in process in Seattle, and to allow 10 weeks. I guess we do math differently around here.

I finally got through to a human being at the Passport 800 line this morning, only to find that she couldn't directly help me because their computers were down -- probably the reason I was finally able to get through rather than being summarily disconnected by the voice response system.

She told me that processing time is now 12 weeks, and when I expressed unhappiness at the lack of planning on the part of the State Department for failing to staff up for the completely predictable deluge, she said it wasn't their fault, "it's the fault of the cruise lines."

Huh? Well, according to her, the cruiselines have been telling people that they ought to have passports in case they get sick on the trip and need to fly home. They should have known that in emergencies like these that the airlines make accommodations for people without passports. (Who knew?) They never planned for the passport volume generated by all these people taking Mexican and Caribbean cruises, and that's why my daughter doesn't have her passport on time.

It's the cruiseline's fault.

Now you know. :rolleyes:

I wonder if I can get on-board credit for this?

And you actually called a government agency and expected

A) fast and competent service

B) A straight answer

C) Someone to actually take any sort of personal or departmental accountability for a situation.

I consider the fact that you actually got a person (and I use that term in its broadest sense) on the phone to be a home run :)

All kidding aside , I do hope your daughter gets her passport soon, I know it has bee crazy with them.

arabrab,

I beg to differ. You have been mis-informed.

My ship is cruising in Mexico this week. We have medically disembarked 3 American passsengers in the past 2 days. Two of them are quite ill, but will survive, the third is dying. None of them has a passport. All three want to be flown home to the USA. The airlines have refused to fly them back to the USA, citing the new passport law. US Government Reps in Mexico have told us, "No passport = no flight".

Case closed.

It is a crying shame.

GET A PASSPORT !!!!!!!!!!!!

arabrab,

My ship is cruising in Mexico this week. We have medically disembarked 3 American passsengers in the past 2 days. Two of them are quite ill, but will survive, the third is dying. None of them has a passport. All three want to be flown home to the USA. The airlines have refused to fly them back to the USA, citing the new passport law. US Government Reps in Mexico have told us, "No passport = no flight".

Case closed.

It is a crying shame.

WOW!!! Sorry to hear about those folks.:o It does make for an impressive argument for having a passport!!!!:eek:

If there was ever a reason to have a passport that is it !! Forced to be treated at a Mexican hospital because you are unable to fly home to the US without a passport!! That is truly scary!!:eek:

P.S. I hope the rest of your week goes more smoothly onboard!!:cool:

arabrab,

Case closed.

It is a crying shame.

Get off these boards and enjoy your cruise.

PS. Thanks for the info.

And you actually called a government agency and expected

A) fast and competent service

B) A straight answer

C) Someone to actually take any sort of personal or departmental accountability for a situation.

I consider the fact that you actually got a person (and I use that term in its broadest sense) on the phone to be a home run :)

This goes for calling the cruise lines as well. The one difference is that you can actually get someone on the phone when calling the cruise lines.

Joe

We've been telling all of our clients to get passports before going on a cruise. I have a couple first time clients who got upset that they spent the money for a passport then found out that technically they don't need them yet, but I rather lose a client then all the aggravation I would get if they got stuck somewhere.

Take care,

Michael

For adults they are good for 10 years and come January everyone will need one. We got passports for our kids for the cruise we just completed. We didn't want any hassles with birth certificates. Customs was a breeze for us.

Joe

I work for an air ambulance company and I can unequivocally tell you that a passport is needed to get back to the US, if you have to be medevaced from a foreign country.

I can't understand why people are so dead set against getting a passport - it is the easiest and best form of identification.

Brucemuzz

I always thought it was required to have a passport to get on the ship anytime one was leaving U.S. soil. If not it should be required as the tree who had to leave the ship for medical reasons have found out the hard way.

Bob :confused:

Bobnapples,

It SHOULD be required that one must have a passport before boarding a cruise ship that leaves the USA and then returns. But it's not. It was supposed to be required by the US Government as of this past January - and the January before that.

In a country so worried about International Terrorism and Illegal Aliens, it is way beyond mind-boggling that Passports are not mandatory.

But the great American Public keeps dragging their feet getting passports. As of March 2007, only 21% of Americans own a passport. It took 4 years of threatening and pleading from the US Government to get that number up from 16%. At this rate, it will be decades before most Americans have a passport.

Currently it is perfectly legal to board an international cruise ship in a US Port, carrying only a driving license and a birth certificate. It is perfectly legal to disembark from an International Cruise Ship in a US Port, carrying only a driving license and a birth certificate. At this poinit, only the government can legally force you to have a passport to cruise - and they are not doing it.

Travel Agents and Cruise Lines all strongly recommend that passengers get a passport, but nobody is listening. It's only when disaster strikes that everyone wakes up and says, "Gee, I should have gotten a passport - and maybe a little travel insurance too".

Isn't it amazing that they are confiscating matchbooks from Air Travelers, but letting anyone with a Birth Certificate or Driving License that can be fabricated on any home computer into the country ????

Very well put, bruce. :) Oh I forgot, I belong to localady.

Oh my goodness gracious me! How do you do, Bob? What an honor to meet Sher's husband!!:) Our families almost cruised together this past Christmas. Only you went on the Volendam, and we went on the Amsterdam.......

Oh, to keep this on track, I have to say "thanks" to arabrab (Barbara) for her very entertaining post. Barbara, I hope your daughter gets her passport soon. I've had a passport my entire life, since I was a baby, and I'm so glad I don't have to renew right now!!:eek:

Karin

Bobnapples,

Currently it is perfectly legal to board an international cruise ship in a US Port, carrying only a driving license and a birth certificate. It is perfectly legal to disembark from an International Cruise Ship in a US Port, carrying only a driving license and a birth certificate. At this poinit, only the government can legally force you to have a passport to cruise - and they are not doing it.

And, just who lobbied the government to exclude only the cruise lines from this requirement to (understandably, IMO) protect their revenue stream. Hmmm, the airlines, perhaps? :rolleyes: If the cruise lines would have really wanted people to have passports, they wouldn't have requested a temporary exemption from the passport requirement.

Sorry, they cruise lines are crying crocodile tears when they talk about the need for a passport.

Just to be clear, the Passport office is also full of it.

I'm so glad I chose to renew ours early. I saw this flood of applications coming, knew our passports needed renewing within 9 months. I chose to 'waste' a few months and I beat the rush. When we had a 'lull' in our cruising, a period when I knew we could give up our passports, I sent them for renewal. Had them back in about 8 weeks. Glad I forfeited a few months in order to not stress about the renewals.

I didn't have to bother with expedited and pay the additional sum.

Fact still remains that it's a true Buyer Beware situation when you don't have a passport.:eek: Of course, the only time it presents a problem is when there is an emergency.....then I know most folks would want to be able to be flown back into the US for treatment if in Mexico.

OT- Karin- thanks for the nice welcome for Bob, he hardly comes into the boards but when I told him about the thread he decided to check it out. I am hoping we can meet you by convincing you to join us in Feb. 2008 on the Oosterdam. :D I know Lisa will try to convince you also. :cool:

But the great American Public keeps dragging their feet getting passports. As of March 2007, only 21% of Americans own a passport. It took 4 years of threatening and pleading from the US Government to get that number up from 16%. At this rate, it will be decades before most Americans have a passport.
True, but unlike Europeans, the vast majority of Americans have no intention of ever leaving their home country. Actually, I'm surprised that 21% do have a passport.

True, but unlike Europeans, the vast majority of Americans have no intention of ever leaving their home country.

And that's a VERY SAD:( statement all to itself!!! To not want to see and be a part of the rest of the world is so limiting. Some of the best things I've ever discovered either about myself or life in general was when traveling internationally. And for THAT I needed a passport:D

Archived