Passport Agency Blames the Cruise Lines!!!

arabrab

I've had a passport since I was an infant, and always wondered why some people are so dead set against it....I assumed it was because it just seems like such a big deal to people who don't travel. But while trying to get a "girls only" trip to Mexico recently a couple of the ladys didn't want to go out of the country. Turns out they haven't paid their taxes!!!! Of course it took me getting pissed before they would admit it....at first they blamed it on expense, or not knowing how, etc. Not that everyone who doesn't want a passport hasn't paid their taxes, but now I wonder.....:rolleyes:

I got my passport 2 years ago when the initial regulatory deadline was the end of 2005 and I am glad I did. Even though I had a 3 hour wait in the post office at the time, I got it in 8 weeks, when the renewal cycle comes up in 8 years I am ahead of the "wave"

There is no one to blame per se. Congress dictated that to do international travel by plane, land, or, sea you need a passport, by 2009. The governmental agencies are trying to phase this in as best as possible

Lets just blame the passport people. They do not make law or invent changes, they process the passports. I was under two weeks, applied early, contacted the passport office and had know problem. Told them we were under two weeks, were more than welling to help us. One time when we called, the computers were down, asked when to call back, did what they said and things were working. We leave in three days, have all passports. Treated the passport workers with respect and was honest, got what we needed three days earlier than our travel. One worker told me they are overwhelmed with people being just nasty and calling daily for a passport that is needed for travel in six months. Plus truly believe they are on to those that lie and change dates for the moment to get what they want. It is those that I mentioned that keep those who are aboard that need to get home for treatment, have an emergency that need a passport now, and those traveling in two weeks, that don't get what they need so that others who cannot wait, are greedy, lie and cheat to get what they want. That is what those who work at the passport offices and senate offices deal with everyday. Give them a break, if you have a real need, they are there to help.

Fact still remains that it's a true Buyer Beware situation when you don't have a passport.:eek: Of course, the only time it presents a problem is when there is an emergency.....then I know most folks would want to be able to be flown back into the US for treatment if in Mexico.

OT- Karin- thanks for the nice welcome for Bob, he hardly comes into the boards but when I told him about the thread he decided to check it out. I am hoping we can meet you by convincing you to join us in Feb. 2008 on the Oosterdam. :D I know Lisa will try to convince you also. :cool:

Surprised that you would post this as you have many post under you. The State Department has made arrangements for those that are cruising that do have a passport that need to return to the US because of illness will be able to return with no problems. Please check resources before making such a statement.

I work for an air ambulance company and I can unequivocally tell you that a passport is needed to get back to the US, if you have to be medevaced from a foreign country.

I can't understand why people are so dead set against getting a passport - it is the easiest and best form of identification.

The information you are presenting is just not true. Please state the Company you work for as the information you are providing is incorrect.

Surprised that you would post this as you have many post under you. The State Department has made arrangements for those that are cruising that do have a passport that need to return to the US because of illness will be able to return with no problems. Please check resources before making such a statement.

I am sorry you question the veracity of my statement. It may be that the State Department "has made arrangements" to have ill US citizens without passports returned to the US. It also that means that you then have to contact the embassy or State Department, and go thru the red-tape as well the cost to return a US citizen without a passport back into the US.

It is not a cheap process to go through, not to mention the additional stresses it would cause in a time of emergency.

Frankly it seems to be more adviseable to get a passport in the first place and avoid the bad situation entirely!!:cool:

Please check resources before making such a statement.

The information you are presenting is just not true.

With the conflicting information on this, right in this very thread, including anecdotal information that ill passengers cannot return to the US, may I ask on what basis you are making these statements.

Since forever, the nearest US embassy or consulate can arrange transportation for US citizens without a passport. But how quickly that can be done has a LOT of variables. If you happened to flop out in front of the Ambassador, it could probably be done right now. If you are put off a ship and into a hospital somewhere a thousand miles from the Embassy....well you do the math.

Too many people just take chances like this, thinking the govt is going to swoop in and help them, but lets face it, the folks working at the consulate are the same ones working for the Passport Agency. I carry my passport everywhere.

It is Amazing.........the news has been out for years.......passports are going to be required........and the due date has even been extended.

But sooooooooo many people waited until the last moment to apply.........and they are upset that the processing time has been lengthened..........hey their staffs are over extended.

It is your fault for waiting............If you Christmas shop on Dec 23rd.......Hey.....the stores will be crowded......:rolleyes:

In the times we now live in it amazes me a country has such lax entry requirements for its 'citizens'. I use quotation marks because most kids can find someone who can get a fake driver's licence for them and I'm sure it's not too hard to dodgy up a birth certificate. So how many people are able to gain entry to the US that aren't legit?

I need a biometric (sorry, no idea what this means) passport to get into the US, have my fingerprints and a photo taken as the Immigration Officer smiles graciously at me :rolleyes: but if that's what it takes to make the world a safer place I'm all for it.

My new EU UK passport finally arrived the day before yesterday (to add to my Australian one). I raced home to get to the post office to pick it up. I was so excited.

Like a couple of posters have said once you've got that little book in your hand, the world is yours

I applied for my daughter's passport renewal on January 31st, back when the State Department's website was touting a six week regular turnaround. It's been 11 weeks, and still no passport.
Mine was set to expire in October 2007. I decided to send it in for renewal when we got home from our March cruise on the Oosterdam.

Not knowing when I may be sent out of the country on business and realizing that the normal turn around was so long, I chose to pay the extra $60 for expedited service. It took less than two weeks, including transit time, for expedited renewal in mid-March 2007.

Bill

Does anyone know how far ahead of the expiration date on your passport are you allowed to renew? Mine and DH's expire next March. I want to get them in early since we are planning a cruise next Feb.

Thanks

You CAN renew very far ahead of the expiration date. You need to renew either 4 or 6 months prior to expiration. Some countries require you you have varying numbers of months (the highest I've heard is 6 months) remaining on your passport in order for them to allow you entry into their country.

Even if your plan is to be there one week, they know emergencies can happen, and you could wind up being there far longer than planned.

I renewed ours about 8 or 9 or so months prior to their expiration as I wanted to avoid this mad rush.....and I was successful at doing so. (I also planned around our booked travel to know when it was convenient for me to give them up for an extended period. I didn't want to pay the expedited service as I didn't feel it was necessary and it wasn't.)

I can not understand why people would not want to have a passport. I don't know anything about not paying taxes,( a reason for not applying stated above) but why would that prevent you from getting a passport?

Having a passport just makes life easier in case of an emergency.

I don't know anything about not paying taxes,( a reason for not applying stated above) but why would that prevent you from getting a passport?
They check these things. There was a recent post (could have been on another board) about a girlfriend of the poster who was planning a honeymoon cruise for herself and her fiance. Turns out he couldn't get a passport because of back taxes and back child support. She didn't even know he had kids! Very sad.

They check these things. There was a recent post (could have been on another board) about a girlfriend of the poster who was planning a honeymoon cruise for herself and her fiance. Turns out he couldn't get a passport because of back taxes and back child support. She didn't even know he had kids! Very sad.

Jim-

Better she find out before she married him and it became her tax debt too!!!

Karma is a b*tch and the only certainty is death and taxes .......:rolleyes:

You CAN renew very far ahead of the expiration date. You need to renew either 4 or 6 months prior to expiration. Some countries require you you have varying numbers of months (the highest I've heard is 6 months) remaining on your passport in order for them to allow you entry into their country.

If you are cruising this year and your passport is expired, you can still use it without renewing it. Passports are not required at the moment for travel to many areas in the caribbean by cruise ship. You can still use an expired passport as proff of citizenship. If you needed to fly home, you may then have some problems. Just check out the state departments website for the information needed for the countries you are traveling to.

Joe

For Alaska cruises, you don't need a passport yet.

From the Travel.state.gov website. "Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable."

No you don't unless an emergency arises and you have to be flown home from Canada, then you would need a passport just like for the Caribbean and for Mexico.

Joe

And you actually called a government agency and expected

A) fast and competent service

B) A straight answer

C) Someone to actually take any sort of personal or departmental accountability for a situation.

I consider the fact that you actually got a person (and I use that term in its broadest sense) on the phone to be a home run :)

And some trusting soles think the government can deliver better health care than the private sector. What dupes!

From the Travel.state.gov website. "Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable."

No you don't unless an emergency arises and you have to be flown home from Canada, then you would need a passport just like for the Caribbean and for Mexico.

Joe

Yes, of course. We all know (OR CERTAINLY SHOULD BY NOW) that we need a passport to fly internationally.

The comment was about cruising between Canada and U.S. If one boards in Seattle and disembarks in Seattle, one does not need a passport..... YET.

Archived