Specialty dining on RCI

Anyone that can give me any details about the specialty dining would be greatly appreciated. I have never done this and others in my party want to on our sailing of Liberty of the Seas in June. My opinion is "Why pay $20 per person for food when you have spent so much on the cruise to start with and all the food is included" Is the food at these restaurants that much better? Do you get as much as you want like the dining rooms? Personnally, I like the dining room food and quantities. Looking primarily for info on the Steak house...Chops ro something.

Let me know..............:confused:

Thanks for your question.

If you like the main dining room food by all means stick with it. All I can tell you is that CHOPS is the BEST steak I have ever had.......well worth the $20pp fee that you will pay. I really don't know what to say.......but I would encourage you to try it once........then make your own decision......

but for us........if we are on a ship with CHOPS we will eat there at least twice on each cruise..........I would pay more than $20 for that meal.......but I understand those that want an all inclusive experience.

Hope you will try it and decide for yourself.

Happy cruising.

By the way..........the deserts (Mississippi Mud Pie).........is like no other you will ever find on the regular dining menu.........some say that in itself is worth the $20;)

Yes, the food is better - along with the service, in the specialty dining venues on cruise ships. I have eaten in Chops, and Portofino, on Royal Caribbean and Chops was the one I preferred. It was not the best steak I have ever had in my life but it was delicious. (I have been fortunate enough to eat in some really great restaurants and steak houses throughout the world.) The sides were much better than anything the dining room can come up with!! I also think the appetizers, salads and desserts are far superior to the dining room - or any place else on the ship and yes, you can order as much or as many as you want.

The specialty restaurants are totally up to you and you could probably ask 12 different people what they thought and get 12 different responses. If you are happy with what you get in the dining room then stick with that. But if you want to celebrate an occasion or get a break from the hustle and bustle of the dining room then they are and a wonderful change of pace.

I was right there with you - "I already have a paid for meal waiting for me down the hall"...but like the others said - the portions, temperature, service...all better.

At least try once yourself - but make reservations within the first few hours on board.

And yes, get the Tarimisu dessert - totally blows away the main dining version. You can get it at Chops too, just ask.

Chops has many different steaks and it's a good restaurant. I think the food is far better than the dining room, but I don't like having my side dishes served family style.

However, Portofino to me is the best restaurant I have been to in a long time. They do serve steak as an entree, filet, if you are in the mood for steak, but the food in Portofino is far better than the dining room as is the service. I would go to Portofino 3x on a cruise to 1x at Chops.

Service in both restaurants is great. On Mariner the service we had in Portofino was better than we have had at Morton's or Ruth's Chris. I know it's an Italian restaurant, but don't let that fool you. Look for the menu and you will be surprised at some of the food. It's absolutely wonderful. I can't wait until we get back on Mariner in May.

Katie

The food in Chops is what the food USED to be like in the dining room, but now, they make you pay for it! The steak was ok--but I've certainly had better! (However, it is better than what you will be served in the dining room nowadays!)

You don't HAVE to go if you don't want to! If you don't mind spending the extra money, try it!

Portofinos is probably the better place to try, if you are making a choice between the two!

The food in Chops is what the food USED to be like in the dining room, but now, they make you pay for it! The steak was ok--but I've certainly had better! (However, it is better than what you will be served in the dining room nowadays!)

You don't HAVE to go if you don't want to! If you don't mind spending the extra money, try it!

Portofinos is probably the better place to try, if you are making a choice between the two!

Even when ships were smaller, the dining room food was still only the equivalent of good banquet food, because the chefs were preparing meals for hundreds of passengers at one time. It was never gourmet dining. In Chops and Portofino there are more meals cooked to order and because they are serving far fewer people each evening, the food and service are better than you get in the dining room. Frankly I haven't noticed any significant decrease in the quality of the food served in the dining room since we started sailing in 1980 but some people's nostalgic view of the past sometimes romanticizes things and convinces them that things aren't as good as they used to be and it isn't just limited to the cruise experience. I happen to prefer the menu in Chops to the one in Portofino, but that is a matter of personal preference and doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. For a special occasion or just for something different, I recommend trying at least one of the specialty restaurants during your cruise.:)

I've never tried any of the specialty restaurants, I imagine they would be very good, as I think the dining room food is great also. However, my husband grills a better steak than Ruth's Chris anyday of the week for about 30.00 cheaper!:eek: So, I guess I will have to give them a try the next time I'm on a ship with a specialty rest. and see what all the fuss is about.:p

But all a matter of perspective. I realize that to some the Main DR may feel special. It certainly is nicer than when we dine in our home and have to be responsible for all of that stuff ourselves. But, Chops and Portofino really end up being memorable experiences. As cited earlier, these restaurants can do made-to-order fine dining. We feel like they deliver. Mass-produced food in the DR can only be so good. We enjoy it just fine, too. But--the question is will the special restaurants be worth the fee? Although we think so, this becomes a beauty-in-the-mouth-of-the-beholder decision for everyone who steps aboard. It's the unanswerable question for anyone but yourself. Here's the intriguing pattern I notice on CC--of the 2 specialty restaurants, Portofino appears to be the choice really often.

But all a matter of perspective. I realize that to some the Main DR may feel special. It certainly is nicer than when we dine in our home and have to be responsible for all of that stuff ourselves. But, Chops and Portofino really end up being memorable experiences. As cited earlier, these restaurants can do made-to-order fine dining. We feel like they deliver. Mass-produced food in the DR can only be so good. We enjoy it just fine, too. But--the question is will the special restaurants be worth the fee? Although we think so, this becomes a beauty-in-the-mouth-of-the-beholder decision for everyone who steps aboard. It's the unanswerable question for anyone but yourself. Here's the intriguing pattern I notice on CC--of the 2 specialty restaurants, Portofino appears to be the choice really often.

Thanks all. Happy Cruising:D

We also prefer Chops to Portofino, although both were excellent. Yes, the food is better than the dining room, IMO. We just consider Chops or Portofino an extra treat like getting a spa treatment or taking an over-the-top excursion. For twenty bucks pp, it is a very nice treat! Enjoy!

Archived