X to Bermuda no longer kid friendly

pilewski

I am very disappointed with Celebrity. Their only sailings to Bermuda are on Journey this year and there are no chidlren's programs on the ship. I booked 2 sky suites last week through Celebrity and was told by the person taking the reservation that there would be the same children's programs on Journey as the other X ships. Now I will have to cancel my reservations. I have 3 children, 7, 4 and 2 and there is no way I would subject them or other passengers to 7 days on a boat with nothing for the kids to do. It's a shame that Celebrity is not providing a full service ship to such a family oriented destination. Also, each time I called Celebrity this past week to inquire about the ship, I received conflicting responses from the representatives. I feel bad for those people who booked their family summer vacation on Journey and find out at the dock that there will be no kids' programs.

To make matters worse, I can't find any available cabins on other lines for August. I need a cruise!!!!

I am very disappointed with Celebrity. Their only sailings to Bermuda are on Journey this year and there are no chidlren's programs on the ship. I booked 2 sky suites last week through Celebrity and was told by the person taking the reservation that there would be the same children's programs on Journey as the other X ships. Now I will have to cancel my reservations. I have 3 children, 7, 4 and 2 and there is no way I would subject them or other passengers to 7 days on a boat with nothing for the kids to do. It's a shame that Celebrity is not providing a full service ship to such a family oriented destination. Also, each time I called Celebrity this past week to inquire about the ship, I received conflicting responses from the representatives. I feel bad for those people who booked their family summer vacation on Journey and find out at the dock that there will be no kids' programs.

To make matters worse, I can't find any available cabins on other lines for August. I need a cruise!!!!

I agree with you, I think it was a very poor decision by Celebrity not to provide Children's programs at least for this summer to Bermuda. Many people booked the Bermuda trip thinking they were going on the Zenith and then had it changed by Celebrity.

As for me, if I lived on the east coast I would be most interested in a non-kid cruise. Don't get me wrong, I like children, but after raising seven of my own, I don't want to spend the vacations of my later years dealing with a bunch of rug-rats.

Hope you find a great family cruise.

Personally, I am very happy with the introduction of the more upscale XPeditions brand, but I agree that this year's Bermuda cruises will be quite a different experience then last year's.

Anyway, there are only 2 sea days. Is it so difficult to entertain your own kids for 2 days? When I was young, there were no kid's programs at all. I played with other kids and with my brothers and sisters. And my parents spend quality time with their kids, away from the stress of work.

Best Regards,

Floris

In all honesty- I cruise to Bermuda and being docked in Bermuda isn't that exciting. We stayed at the Reef's in Bermuda- no kids programs but there was so much for kids to do and they offer babysitting at night. They have excellent food. I would rather fly to Bermuda than cruise there.

I just got off the phone from Celebrity and they DON'T have kids programs on Journey or Quest. I called in January and was told they would have kids programs. But the bottom line is they don't. They are offering babysitting at night.

I went on Oceania Regatta, which is a sister ship to Journey and Quest. It was great. There were only three kids on board but they played pingpong, swam in the pool, played among themselves and seemed to have a really nice time. It was a port intensive cruise.

If it is your kids first cruise, I think they would enjoy it because they would have nothing to compare it to. But my six year old would be disappointed- unless the adults were willing to entertain him with board games, etc. For the price of Journey- I wouldn't take kids on there. They would have more fun on a larger ship with the youth programs.

I wrote a review of Oceania Regatta- which will give you some insights of what to expect on Journey. Go the Reviews and "Regatta".

Ship Name: Explorer Of The Seas

Departure Port: Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey

Ports of Call: Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey; Kings Wharf, Bermuda; Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey

2007 Date(s): Aug 12 , Aug 26

I copied this from the Royal Caribbean site....it looked to me like rooms are available. These sailings are 5-nights. Good luck!

I can't take the OP to task too much, as she booked with the information that there WERE kids programs, and it would be a disappointment, especially, as someone pointed out, if the kids had cruised a line WITH a kid's program before.

But, like Floris, I grew up taking these trips, starting at age four. Some ships had minimal kid's programs, but most had none. And yet, these are some of my FAVORITE childhood memories. Swimming, movies, shuffleboard, ping pong, great meals, etc. Yes, it's not too bad a life for a kid. But it depends on the kid...and the parents...

The one reason I wouldn't take the cruise in your situation is that it sounds like you were depending on the kids program to occupy them while you and your s.o. relaxed (no problem with that- kids programs ARE a great way for an entire family to truly relax). I think you're wise to realize that, at their particular ages, it would either be a 24/7 parenting 'vacation' for you, or a potential unpleasant situation for other cruisers if your children would be antsy or upset with the situation.

I hope you find an alternative that works for the family. Good luck! :)

Andrew

I am very disappointed with Celebrity. Their only sailings to Bermuda are on Journey this year and there are no chidlren's programs on the ship. I booked 2 sky suites last week through !

These "Journey Class" ships are in a seperate catagory and if you look at the deck plans and size of the ship, they are small, a childrens program like on the other ships is not possible. Even the adults activities are going to be more limited. So people are going to complain there is not enough to do.

I am a Celebrity loyalist, but I will not be able to take them to Bermuda this summer because of the cost. (I had gone twice before on the Zenith and the Horizon).

If you do not mind a little driving, RCCL's Empress of the Seas is going to Bermuda out of Philly. I am going on the August 18th trip. I know it is a small ship and the cabins are small, but there are still suites left, and the price is right. This will only be my 2nd RCCL cruise (my last one in 1998), but I have read good things about the Empress...she is leaving the RCCL fleet next year.

Maybe you should look at this cruise...they have a great children's program!

Good luck!:)

Pilewski: But it's only two days crossing. Five days in Bermuda where most of your time is spent on shore anyway. Right?

It works out to 3 3/4 days in Bermuda (arrival at 9 a.m. on Monday morning and departure at 3 p.m. on Thursday) - and one full day plus late afternoon/evening of cruising each way. But you are right....once there, most of your time can be spent on shore .... and what a beautiful island to spend several days on!

However I for one am VERY happy that X has decided to make its new aquisitions ADULT, and less family friendly. I prefer the company of adults over children, RCCL has plenty of family friendly cruises......X SHOULD be geared more tward adults as it advertises...

So for me this is a good thing. Lets hope all the ships eventually move tward the ADULT side and keep the families with young children, infants and toddlers on RCCL.

Dave:eek:

However I for one am VERY happy that X has decided to make its new aquisitions ADULT, and less family friendly. I prefer the company of adults over children, RCCL has plenty of family friendly cruises......X SHOULD be geared more tward adults as it advertises...

So for me this is a good thing. Lets hope all the ships eventually move tward the ADULT side and keep the families with young children, infants and toddlers on RCCL.

Now why would you say that. Guests with children shouldn't be able to experience Celebrity?

The Norwegian Crown sails August 5 7 nights to Bermuda. Triples and quads are available as well as onboard credit.

There are plenty of family oriented ships sailing to Bermuda. Journey is the ONLY one which is adult-oriented.

Celebrity has never really been marketed towards the family/children cruising at all,but there are lots of lines that do. You'll find a nice cruise, don't worry. They are very same ships anyway (journey and quest) i would think even if they did do the kid thing it would be extremely limited.

From RCL site (it's not from NYC but only about 2hrs away). They have cabins and my brother, his DW and 3 children will be on the 8/4 sailing.

Ship Name: Empress Of The Seas

Departure Port: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Ports of Call: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Hamilton, Bermuda; St. George Island, Bermuda; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

2007 Date(s): Jul 28 , Aug 04 , Aug 11 , Aug 18 , Aug 25

Now why would you say that. Guests with children shouldn't be able to experience Celebrity?

Royal Caribbean certainly is a more family oriented brand than Celebrity but really all they have done is set up a small sub brand of Celebrity with a couple of small ships that are not going to be very good ships for children. It is a just a fact they were designed that way by the company that originally owned them. A very small part of the fleet and they do market it separately. What Dave suggested is not going to happen. The main Celebrity fleet will have continue to have children's programs and be family friendly.

If Celebrity did that, in a few years they would not exist. I really have to laugh when poeple say that Celebrity doesn't market towards families. They have dedicated childrens rooms with excellent programs including the Leap Frog Schoolhouse. If it weren't for those families with their kids, they wouldn't be around now. X should be geard towards everyone and not just adults. The Bermuda market in the summer was loaded with kids on the Zenith and Horizon....

I feel for you Pilewski. We had the same situation. We loved Zenith to Bermuda and have done it 4 times. Great ship, great crew, great food and a reasonable price. We have one 7 year old now and he loved the kids program on Zenith.

As a result of X having no family friendly ship leaving from the east coast in summer, we've switched over to Princess. Have you thought about the Crown Princess? It leaves from Brooklyn which is drivable for you. Of course, it's not the same exact itinerary as it only spends one day in Bermuda but it stops in Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas.

I understand they have a great kids program and are family friendly. They seem close to X in many areas and they do offer traditional OR anytime dining. We like traditional and that sealed the deal for us. Besides, I'm dying to try their fettucine ;) .

If you cruise with kids you won't find much sympathy on this Board. Most X cruisers would like to see no kids on any of the X ships. Their answer seems to always be... if you have kids, then sail RCL. Well, what if you have kids but want fine food, excellent service and the extra nice touches that X provides?? If you like Celebrity I would never steer you to NCL.

From my research, it seems that Princess offers the closest thing to the Celebrity experience with the kid friendly aspect to it. I could be wrong but I'm willing to try it. :)

If Celebrity did that, in a few years they would not exist. I really have to laugh when poeple say that Celebrity doesn't market towards families. They have dedicated childrens rooms with excellent programs including the Leap Frog Schoolhouse. If it weren't for those families with their kids, they wouldn't be around now. X should be geard towards everyone and not just adults. The Bermuda market in the summer was loaded with kids on the Zenith and Horizon....

Very true. That is why I avoided the July and August summer sailings to Bermuda. And the Celebrity summer sailings to the Caribbean too. I did one in July on Century and learned a lesson, don't book when the kids are out of school. Some of the teenagers were puking all over the ship and some were having sex on the outside decks late at night. Also the little kids were running up and down the halls all night knocking on cabin doors. Hmm. Maybe that is why Celebrity doesn't have summer Caribbean sailings anymore!

Very true. That is why I avoided the July and August summer sailings to Bermuda. And the Celebrity summer sailings to the Caribbean too. I did one in July on Century and learned a lesson, don't book when the kids are out of school. Some of the teenagers were puking all over the ship and some were having sex on the outside decks late at night. Also the little kids were running up and down the halls all night knocking on cabin doors. Hmm. Maybe that is why Celebrity doesn't have summer Caribbean sailings anymore!

The little darlings.

We did Sapphire Princess a year ago. Very nice and I would do it again but I really prefer Celebrity. Princess has better entertainment and nicer (newer) ships. Celebrity wins for food and service. My kids are older, now, but they have been cruising on Celebrity since they were 13 and 10.

I feel for you Pilewski. We had the same situation. We loved Zenith to Bermuda and have done it 4 times. Great ship, great crew, great food and a reasonable price. We have one 7 year old now and he loved the kids program on Zenith.

As a result of X having no family friendly ship leaving from the east coast in summer, we've switched over to Princess. Have you thought about the Crown Princess? It leaves from Brooklyn which is drivable for you. Of course, it's not the same exact itinerary as it only spends one day in Bermuda but it stops in Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas.

I understand they have a great kids program and are family friendly. They seem close to X in many areas and they do offer traditional OR anytime dining. We like traditional and that sealed the deal for us. Besides, I'm dying to try their fettucine ;) .

If you cruise with kids you won't find much sympathy on this Board. Most X cruisers would like to see no kids on any of the X ships. Their answer seems to always be... if you have kids, then sail RCL. Well, what if you have kids but want fine food, excellent service and the extra nice touches that X provides?? If you like Celebrity I would never steer you to NCL.

From my research, it seems that Princess offers the closest thing to the Celebrity experience with the kid friendly aspect to it. I could be wrong but I'm willing to try it. :)

I don't think it is true that most X cruisers would like to see no kids on X ships.

Charles:

I did the summer sailings because I wanted to take my kids to Bermuda. After they were older went back in May without them and had a great time with just wife and myself.

By the way, except for the running down the halls knocking on the cabin doors, I saw all the other things you mentioned on the ship being done by adults in Public. Did see an adult who thought it was funny to hit all the elevator buttons so I guess those activites are not exclusive to children...

Archived