X to Bermuda no longer kid friendly

pilewski

I personally think that children add a special vitality to any environment, including cruises, providing that they are well behaved and considerate of others.

I agree, although I expect children are learning so there will be some who are not well behaved. A little of that does not bother me. I have never tried to book an adults only cruise. However I try to avoid extremes, like cruises with 600 kids, cruises with 600 college students, cruises with 600 80 year olds, 600 amway salespeople, cruises with 600 Mah Jhong players or 600 Harley bikers where one group dominates. I like diversity.

I really think that Celebrity seems to be in a lose, lose situation. They have many passengers who want more varied destinations. It seems they've pretty much abandoned the East Coast for most of the year in order to meet those needs.

I'm all for more varied destinations—and we are booked on several but hey, they've pretty much abandoned our favorite departure port on the WEST coast, too, i.e. San Francisco. The Mercury is only here for short, seasonal repositioning cruises, and to San Francisco Drydock for refurbishment. We would really like to cruise round-trip from San Francisco to southern destinations (we love Mexico) on the Mercury, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards in the near future, at least.

I agree, although I expect children are learning so there will be some who are not well behaved. A little of that does not bother me. I have never tried to book an adults only cruise. However I try to avoid extremes, like cruises with 600 kids, cruises with 600 college students, cruises with 600 80 year olds, 600 amway salespeople, cruises with 600 Mah Jhong players or 600 Harley bikers where one group dominates. I like diversity.

Hi Charles4515 :)

I agree with you about diversity. One of the reasons why I like Thanksgiving Cruises is because they have a tendency to include three generations of a family.

I'm all for more varied destinations—and we are booked on several but hey, they've pretty much abandoned our favorite departure port on the WEST coast, too, i.e. San Francisco. The Mercury is only here for short, seasonal repositioning cruises, and to San Francisco Drydock for refurbishment. We would really like to cruise round-trip from San Francisco to southern destinations (we love Mexico) on the Mercury, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards in the near future, at least.

Even though San Francisco is our home port, and we've taken advantage of sailing on various itineraries...we're very pleased that Celebrity has expanded it's destinations. We've always wanted to see Australia/New Zealand and Tahiti, and were really excited when Celebrity added these new countries.

Hopefully in the next couple of years, Celebrity will add Mexico back into schedule. In the meantime, I'd suggest writing and emailing them with your wishes.

Karyn

I'm puzzled why people keep suggesting families sail on RCCL, without taking their interests into account.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that I suggested RCCL because the OP stated, "To make matters worse, I can't find any available cabins on other lines for August. I need a cruise!!!!" I was trying to be helpful and find another cruise to Bermuda from the northern half of the East Coast.

Celebrity does not offer Caribbean cruises in the summer- that is true. However, they do offer Alaskan cruises and they are the best summer cruises. I have been on four. I highly recommend them.

As for kids on Celebrity. Celebrity realizes that by having a great youth program- there aren't many kids running around the ship. I know this to be true. On one cruise, the other passengers pointed to a child (not even mine- mine was in the Fun Factory at the time) and said to her friends- look there is a child!!!

On that sailing there were 300 children on board.

I beg to differ that Bermuda is not a kid-friendly destination. Why do you say that because it has no huge amusement parks?

Bermuda has a zoo and aquarium, an underwater exploration museum with a simulated dive cage and lots of fun exhibits, Dolphin Quest, horse and buggy rides, beautiful beaches to explore, forts to investigate, a replica of the Deliverance ship to check out, the town dunking in St. George to watch, the stockades in St. George to pose in and take pictures, ferry rides, glass bottom boats, Lighthouses to climb....

We've been to Bermuda on Zenith 4 times in the last 2 years and my young son loved it there. We are looking forward to going back this summer on the Crown Princess. It sure beats the Jersey shore ;)

These were copied from Celebrities web site today. They clearly state there will be children's programs onboard "ALL Celebrity ships". You can't blame a guest for expecting what they were promised. No exceptions are listed. A youth facility is different from a youth program.

All Celebrity ships carry a minimum of 6 Youth Counselors year round. except Zenith which has four. During holiday sailings, Celebrity ships carry 8-12 Youth Counselors.

Celebrity's Five-Tier Family Program is available all year round.

Availability:

The Celebrity Youth Program is available year round with a full, five-tier age group program during President's Week, Easter, Summer, Thanksgiving, and Christmas sailings. On all other sailings, a combined age group program is offered.

Disclaimers

The Company has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to this Web site or any other Company Web Site. Users of information from this Web site or any other Company Web Site or links do so at their own risk. We assume no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content of any Company Web Site. While the Company may make changes to the information in a Company Web Site or to any Company service or product at any time without notice, the Company makes no commitment to update the information on a Company Web Site.

As I said, an apology would be nice, a refund if there is an opt out would be nicer, but they are NOT liable

Dave:eek:

These were copied from Celebrities web site today. They clearly state there will be children's programs onboard "ALL Celebrity ships".

Celebrity considers XPeditions to be a different brand. Journey and Quest are being positioned as 'additions to the XPeditions fleet'.

Floris

These were copied from Celebrities web site today. They clearly state there will be children's programs onboard "ALL Celebrity ships". You can't blame a guest for expecting what they were promised. No exceptions are listed. A youth facility is different from a youth program.

All Celebrity ships carry a minimum of 6 Youth Counselors year round. except Zenith which has four. During holiday sailings, Celebrity ships carry 8-12 Youth Counselors.

Celebrity's Five-Tier Family Program is available all year round.

Availability:

The Celebrity Youth Program is available year round with a full, five-tier age group program during President's Week, Easter, Summer, Thanksgiving, and Christmas sailings. On all other sailings, a combined age group program is offered.

i read the same thing back to a celebrity agent on the phone and they did not know how to respond. i've gotten several different responses from celebrity but i think the final answer is NO. i may, however, still go with the kids. we just love bermuda so much (VERY KID FRIENDLY, BTW), and i am sure that the kids will do just fine. they love going out to restaurants for dinner and they love being on vacation. they know they are not going on disney this time and i think it will be fine. as i said in a previous post, we do not dump our kids in the program from dawn to midnight, not even on disney. if there were any suites left on rcl or princess, i would have cancelled the X reservation and switched, but nothing is available, ANYWHERE!

on another poiint, i wonder what extra benefits come with the suite on journey since all cabins get a butler.

It is not clear on the web site that they are in Xpededitions or in a seperate brand.

They now have it listed as Journey class ships when it used to be under Xpeditions. Below is a link to the original press release which should clarify their Journey and Quest classifications...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000NXUn-_uSw5y65VuR2Y0M5T8:1028etqv2?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2006-12-14&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Have fun on your cruise. The ship is going to act as a hotel for you and your family. Most of your time you will probably be off the ship.

I would do a resort instead of the Journey under the circumstances but that doesn't mean you won't have a good time.

The ships listing on the website is by size. nothing more.

They put the Century with Mercury and Galaxy, The Millie, Connie, Infinity and Summit together, Horizon was with Zenith.

The Xpedition is the smallest ship in the fleet, now being joined by Journey and Quest which are about 5 times bigger.

If you look at the site the Xpedition is listed first with the other 2 beneath it. Although they are larger ships, they will be part of this group doing the exotics.

So its still three distinct classes, just one with a small ship and two slightly larger ones.

My preference of cruise lines is Celebrity and it is specifically because of the overall ambiance and experience, which IMO includes a very small number of children. It's just part of a more "low-key" cruise experience. When my SO and I travel, Celebrity is our line of choice.

Now, let me also tell you that I have two sons and love to take them on cruises. However I specifically DO NOT book them on Celebrity. I look towards RCCL for those cruises as again IMHO it is geared more towards the kids. Quite frankly, my kids would be bored on Celebrity. When booking a family vacation, to me its more important that there are a variety of things for my kids to do that they will enjoy and find fun. Things like mini-golf, rock walls and ice skating not to mention meeting other teens their age is far more interesting to them then the more reserve environment of Celebrity.

I am aware that Celebrity does have some kids programs, but quite frankly those to me are geared more towards younger children and really are meant as a distraction so the parents have free time. I do believe that Celebrity caters more towards an adult atmosphere and provides Childrens activities as an amenity, as opposed to RCCL that clearly through it's marketing targets their ships as the destination for kids and families. For my kids, I want the ship to be part of the experience and adventure.

It's all personal opinions, and just as I would never select a ship that has "anytime dining", its the same for those that want kids activities. There is a line out there for everyone, and it's not just one size fits all. I struggle with those that feel it is required that every ship tries to meet every customers need. It's just not going to happen.

My preference of cruise lines is Celebrity and it is specifically because of the overall ambiance and experience, which IMO includes a very small number of children. It's just part of a more "low-key" cruise experience. When my SO and I travel, Celebrity is our line of choice.

Now, let me also tell you that I have two sons and love to take them on cruises. However I specifically DO NOT book them on Celebrity. I look towards RCCL for those cruises as again IMHO it is geared more towards the kids. Quite frankly, my kids would be bored on Celebrity. When booking a family vacation, to me its more important that there are a variety of things for my kids to do that they will enjoy and find fun. Things like mini-golf, rock walls and ice skating not to mention meeting other teens their age is far more interesting to them then the more reserve environment of Celebrity.

I am aware that Celebrity does have some kids programs, but quite frankly those to me are geared more towards younger children and really are meant as a distraction so the parents have free time. I do believe that Celebrity caters more towards an adult atmosphere and provides Childrens activities as an amenity, as opposed to RCCL that clearly through it's marketing targets their ships as the destination for kids and families. For my kids, I want the ship to be part of the experience and adventure.

It's all personal opinions, and just as I would never select a ship that has "anytime dining", its the same for those that want kids activities. There is a line out there for everyone, and it's not just one size fits all. I struggle with those that feel it is required that every ship tries to meet every customers need. It's just not going to happen.

Well said.

"

:o Wanna Cruise/AKA Marj"

BRAVO!!!!!!!!

As is the case in most industries, the cruise industry is trying to appeal to everyone and in doing so ends up appealing to no one. The way to make the most money (not just a healthy profit, but the most money) is to sail huge ships with the most variety of non-stop entertainment. So all cruiselines are buying and building bigger ships and trying to top other lines with their gimmicks.

Others have noted that the the Xpedition, Journey and Quest are smaller ships that tend toward itineraries with more exotic ports that appeal to a very specific market.

I think not only families will be disappointed with the Journey, but many other seasoned cruisers who are vacationing for the "cruise experience" more than for the ports will also be let down by a cruise on any of these ships.

We've cruised the smaller ships (before our DD and with her) - we cruise primarily for the ports. While DD really likes the kids programs, she hasn't minded the smaller ships without kids programs because of the itinerary (who wants to play ga-ga ball with the counselors when you can snorkel in the Galapogas Islands?!).

That being said - a trip to Bermuda with sea days to and from, I'm not certain this class of ship will be able to 'entertain' many of the adult pax. It is a more "laid back" atmosphere that some will enjoy, but others will be disappointed.

I applaud X for maintaining these ships and for offering the iteneraries that these ships normally sail. I do question the Bermuda sailings (particuarly since they are not offering any sailings on any of their more mainstream ships on these itineraries). X should be marketing these ships and their itineraries as a boutique offering and pushing them as a subbrand so that pax really understand what they are getting.

I have to laugh at this thread! :D

I just went out to dinner last night to celebrate my in-laws' 40th anniversary. My SIL brought her two kids, 2 and 4, and they behaved as most 2 and 4 year olds do. Not attrocious, not well. My partner kept harping on the fact that his sister should have gotten a baby sitter. She ignored that, and kept harping on the fact that the restaurant wasn't very "kid friendly." The grandparents just said they wanted the whole family together, wanted us dressed up, and wanted a nice meal- which it was...

In reality, it wasn't meant to be kid friendly, but the waiters made every effort to serve food that the kids wanted (if only they'd had something OTHER than pasta with red sauce!:rolleyes: Thus our trip to the dry cleaner this morning...) The table cloth ended up looking like a Jackson Pollack, but the staff took it in stride. The kids didn't fuss too much, and when they did, the parents took them outside for a walk. Was it perfect? No. Did it accomplish the goal of making the grandparents happy? Yes.

So my message here:

1. No condemming a cruise line for not being kid friendly, as though that's some kind of crime, but, at the same time:

2. No condemning adults who want a nice cruise experience, but want to have their children with them.

And while I'm making sweeping statements, how about:

No assuming that every child has the same needs and/or interests, and no assuming that every adult is capable or/interested in behaving how YOU think adults should behave.

Some adults without children LOVE RCCL, Carnival, and even DISNEY! Some kids would be most happy without the forced activities of a kid's program, and be happy to read good books and play board games for a few days at sea.

So whoever said "research before you go/book" has it right!

And for the unfortunate OP who got stuck on a more adult oriented cruise than she was lead to believe due to a switch: I'd say make the best of it, knowing that this particular cruise won't meet all your needs. Next time, armed with these lessons, you can either book to Burmuda again on Celeb, knowing the limitations (Hey, the kids might have a great time!), or book on a cruise to another destination on Celebrity, on their other ships....at least there, you'll know the product is right for you AND your kids....Good cruise experience WITH a children's program. Good luck, and happy cruising.:)

Andrew

I think not only families will be disappointed with the Journey, but many other seasoned cruisers who are vacationing for the "cruise experience" more than for the ports will also be let down by a cruise on any of these ships.

Perhaps those that view quantity over quality and size over service may be disappointed but the big ships and amusement park atmosphere are not for everyone.

As one who cruises more for the experience than the ports, and as a seasoned cruiser, I applaud Celebrity for offering ships that are geared for the sophisticated cruiser who is looking for service, excellent food and some luxury. I make the assumption that they will deliver this type of experience as they are directly competing with Oceania, a very successful cruise line who was created a niche for themselves by positioning themselves as an adult cruise for a sophisticated traveller.

There is most definitely a market for child free cruising with open dining and a relaxed dress code. Celebrity fans who will be put off by the bigger Solstice class and the demographic they will have to agressively market to in order to keep their ships full may just find the perfect solution with these smaller ships.

My husband and I have taken 6 of our 7 children twice to Bermuda in the last 4 years. :) They have loved it. We have sailed on the Empress and the Explorer of RC. It was great family time and there was never a dull moment. I stress, family time. That is why we took our children. This year my husband and I are booked on the Journey, in June, with 3 other couples. We are thrilled to travel with adults and plan to enjoy Bermuda without the children this time. Bermuda is what you make of it! Sand, beach, relaxation, sun, etc.;)

Yeah, I agree with Caviargal for the most part...:)

Give me a ship without a casino, without a movie theatre, without "Broadway shows," without limbo contests by the pool, without shopping lectures, without "sales" in the gift shops, without art auctions, without a kid's program, without any of the fancy "mall attractions," and just leave me with a cruise where I walk the decks, meet for meals and/or drinks, perhaps dance a little, rest, nap, go to a few lectures, read, and enjoy the ocean, and spend a few interesting days in ports, and then you'll have my typical cruise.

Now, true enough, I have this same experience on most every cruise I take, whether they have the above or not. But many would assume that I want a dull cruise....far from it! :eek:

I like people who have a sense of humor, a sense of style, and a sense of all the enjoyment derived from "entertaining one's self" that typifies the cruisers that I befriend. The good news is that we can do that anywhere, but the even better news is that there are a few ships where this will be the norm. There are PLENTY of ships for those that like many of the more prevalent cruise ship features cruise lines advertize today. Seems as though there's room for both, yes?

Andrew

Archived