X to Bermuda no longer kid friendly

pilewski

That being said - a trip to Bermuda with sea days to and from, I'm not certain this class of ship will be able to 'entertain' many of the adult pax. It is a more "laid back" atmosphere that some will enjoy, but others will be disappointed.

I applaud X for maintaining these ships and for offering the iteneraries that these ships normally sail. I do question the Bermuda sailings (particuarly since they are not offering any sailings on any of their more mainstream ships on these itineraries). X should be marketing these ships and their itineraries as a boutique offering and pushing them as a subbrand so that pax really understand what they are getting.

From what I have heard Celebrity was commited to having a ship in Bermuda for the 2007 season. It will be interesting to see if it does Bermuda in 2008.

And I agree with you that some of the adult passengers will be disappionted. I know some who went on Oceana Regetta and said there was not enough to do on sea days.

And I agree with you that some of the adult passengers will be disappionted. I know some who went on Oceana Regetta and said there was not enough to do on sea days.
I should clarify my previous post to say that, yes, there likely will be some who are dissapointed with the change in ship to Bermuda, and, conversely, some who will love the experience, but might have not enjoyed the previous type of cruise.

"I know someone who went on a round the world cruise, and then asked where else they could go....;) "

And the famous line about Transatlantic crossings, from Cunard, I believe..."So little to do, and not enough time to do it all...":)

Give me sea days, sea days, and more sea days....:D

Takes all kinds:cool: ,

Andrew

I should clarify my previous post to say that, yes, there likely will be some who are dissapointed with the change in ship to Bermuda, and, conversely, some who will love the experience, but might have not enjoyed the previous type of cruise.

Andrew

Since you are clarifying, I went on an even smaller ship to Bermuda with less passengers than Journey, the original Pacific Princess, and it was one of my all time favorite cruises. One thing that you do on a small ship is make a lot more friends than on a mega ship because you see people agian a lot more. On a super mega ship you might meet someone and not run into them again the whole cruise. Also you get to know the cruise staff a lot better. So I am looking forward to sailing on Journey.

This thread should not be about how you feel about kids on a ship or if they belong on another cruise line.

RCCL and Celebrity are different lines, the ships within Celebrity are different classes, referring to size but the same line. Again from the web site -

journey_class_header.gif

Elaborate, ornate and exquisite are just a few words to describe these elegant ships. Celebrity Journey and Celebrity Quest bring all the amenities of a traditional Celebrity ship in a more intimate setting.

Celebrity advertises an amenity to be available, they should deliver. Yes, there is some fine print that they can change anything they want anytime they want but... How would everybody feel if they booked a cruise and Celebrity suddenly switched to "freestyle cruising" or a "resort casual" dress code but continued to advertise their usual dining experience?

They do not promise youth facilities but they do promise a youth program. All that takes is activities staff and a corner of a lounge or buffet like trivia or other shipboard games.

Since you are clarifying, I went on an even smaller ship to Bermuda with less passengers than Journey, the original Pacific Princess, and it was one of my all time favorite cruises. One thing that you do on a small ship is make a lot more friends than on a mega ship because you see people agian a lot more. On a super mega ship you might meet someone and not run into them again the whole cruise. Also you get to know the cruise staff a lot better. So I am looking forward to sailing on Journey.

Ah,, the Pacific Princess... my Bermuda cruise on her ranks at the top of my list for most favorite cruise. With comparable pricing, but actually larger stateroom on the PP... the real attraction for two 40-something ladies was the liklihood of fewer children onboard and a more intimate cruise experience.

We went the second week in August... and we were right.. a total of 7 under 18's .. and a superb cruise experience. I thought playing mini golf on the sculptured oriental rug in the elevator lobby was a hoot! It was also VERY difficult!

This thread should not be about how you feel about kids on a ship or if they belong on another cruise line.

RCCL and Celebrity are different lines, the ships within Celebrity are different classes, referring to size but the same line. Again from the web site -

journey_class_header.gif

Elaborate, ornate and exquisite are just a few words to describe these elegant ships. Celebrity Journey and Celebrity Quest bring all the amenities of a traditional Celebrity ship in a more intimate setting.

Celebrity advertises an amenity to be available, they should deliver. Yes, there is some fine print that they can change anything they want anytime they want but... How would everybody feel if they booked a cruise and Celebrity suddenly switched to "freestyle cruising" or a "resort casual" dress code but continued to advertise their usual dining experience?

They do not promise youth facilities but they do promise a youth program. All that takes is activities staff and a corner of a lounge or buffet like trivia or other shipboard games.

They are not going to have a youth staff. They are only offering incabin babysitting - subject to availability.

Even though San Francisco is our home port, and we've taken advantage of sailing on various itineraries...we're very pleased that Celebrity has expanded it's destinations. We've always wanted to see Australia/New Zealand and Tahiti, and were really excited when Celebrity added these new countries....

I was one of the first callers when Celebrity opened the phone lines for bookings to Australia/New Zealand and we have our reservations for this coming December. Are you booked for OZ/NZ, too?

From what I have heard Celebrity was commited to having a ship in Bermuda for the 2007 season. It will be interesting to see if it does Bermuda in 2008.

And, on the other hand, there will be many like my husband and I. We booked on Zenith, and when we found out that Journey would be our new ship to Bermuda, we felt like we'd won the lottery. We sailed on Zenith in 2000, and liked her fine, but Journey will be newly refurbished, and a new experience for us. We love sea days, and we're looking forward to spending some on a smaller, more intimate ship.

Lisa:)

i tell you, the more i read about people being excited for the new ship, the more i am glad i ecided to keep my reservation, despite the lack of the traditional cruise ameneties. i am so used to the same routine on a cruise (like the NCL commercials), i wonder what changes i am in store for.

I think you've got the right attitude! But be forewarned!!!! I started cruising/crossing the Atlantic at four y.o., on ships without all the 'amenities' and it's become a life-long addiction...what ARE you doing to your children????:D :D

Andrew

I was one of the first callers when Celebrity opened the phone lines for bookings to Australia/New Zealand and we have our reservations for this coming December. Are you booked for OZ/NZ, too?

Yes, we booked a B2B for next Feb./Mar. ending in Honolulu. We were also one of the first group that booked. I'm really excited to see this part of the world. So much to see and do, but we'll have 29 days to explore as much as we can.

Karyn

[quote name=

I am aware that Celebrity does have some kids programs' date=' but quite frankly those to me are geared more towards younger children and really are meant as a distraction so the parents have free time. I do believe that Celebrity caters more towards an adult atmosphere and provides Childrens activities as an amenity, as opposed to RCCL that clearly through it's marketing targets their ships as the destination for kids and families. For my kids, I want the ship to be part of the experience and adventure.

QUOTE]

As someone who has taken my children on 8 Celebrity cruises covering a range of ages, you could not be more wrong in your thoughts towards Celeblrity's childrens programs.

I know this is a little OT but I'll be curious to hear how the Journey handles the North Atlantic seas on the Bermuda sailings. Zenith was a much bigger ship than Journey and we've had some pretty rough sea days. Anyone have experience with this type R ship in the Atlantic?

I know this is a little OT but I'll be curious to hear how the Journey handles the North Atlantic seas on the Bermuda sailings. Zenith was a much bigger ship than Journey and we've had some pretty rough sea days. Anyone have experience with this type R ship in the Atlantic?

Both Zenith and Horizon were aft end wallowers in heavy seas. I sailed the former Ren ships i some nasty weather.........I'd take Journey or Quest any day as these ships appeared to me to be much snappier out of their rolls.

[quote name=

I am aware that Celebrity does have some kids programs' date=' but quite frankly those to me are geared more towards younger children and really are meant as a distraction so the parents have free time. I do believe that Celebrity caters more towards an adult atmosphere and provides Childrens activities as an amenity, as opposed to RCCL that clearly through it's marketing targets their ships as the destination for kids and families. For my kids, I want the ship to be part of the experience and adventure.

QUOTE]

As someone who has taken my children on 8 Celebrity cruises covering a range of ages, you could not be more wrong in your thoughts towards Celeblrity's childrens programs.

I concur-my son has participated in the Fun Factory program on three different cruises and the counselors and warm and welcoming. The facility is great and he loves it! They have great activities and he never wants to go with me. I miss him actually but it is nice for the whole family to have fun. And we do. Just got off RCL and was not impressed with the kids program. I do think RCL is a good cruise for older kids that don't want to be in a youth program. There were over 500 kids- on Radiance of the Seas and many were teens- unlike Celebrity where you generally see more kids 3-9.

I did Oceania Regatta (sister ship to the Celebrity Journey). It moves alot. I wouldn't want to do a Transatlantic on her. She moved alot in the Caribbean, particularly at the back in the specialty resturants. I felt a bit queasy at dinner some nights and the water was calm.

I did Oceania Regatta (sister ship to the Celebrity Journey). It moves alot. I wouldn't want to do a Transatlantic on her. She moved alot in the Caribbean, particularly at the back in the specialty resturants. I felt a bit queasy at dinner some nights and the water was calm.

this makes me a little nervous, although there were some previous posts that said these ships can handle the seas. i was on zenith and she listed to port in rough weather and i do not recall much movement. there was much more movement on galaxy in the same rough seas.

Remember, the Titanic was only 40,000 Tons.

I take the fact that they're still afloat after many crossings as a good sign.:) And after all, if I'm in a ship, on a cruise, I expect to feel the motion of the ocean sometimes. (Unless I'm in DeMillo's floating restaurant in Portland - then it's too much wine that makes everything pitch and roll!:p )

Lisa

Yes, I had several rough sea days on Zenith. Can't say it handled them that well. I suspect the Journey won't be any worse and will probably be better since it was designed for exotics. And there are 8 of the R ships which have been sailing all over the world, never heard that rough seas were a problem for them. But the possibilty of rough seas comes with the territory of sailing to Bermuda. If you are scared of rough seas or really bothered by them, one probably should not cruise to Bermuda even on a mega ship. Everyone has their own tolerances. I don't get sea sick and have a high tolerance.

Hi, Pilewski. I agree that it's a big disappointment to find that all of a sudden there will be no kids' facilities -- but I know these ships so well (and in fact was on Celebrity Journey on Sunday) and there's simply no room for a childrens' facility. Spender Nui is right when he says that they were originally designed, way back in the late 1990s, as adult-only ships.

I can only surmise that Celebrity's been really conflicted about what it's going to do with the Journey and Quest and I think have only recently figured it out (stay tuned -- we'll give all the details). Now they know...it's going to be marketed at an Oceania crowd. More upscale, more low key, more flexible in all ways.

That's no excuse for giving bad information, though, and that's a shame you were told the wrong thing.

The challenge is that there aren't too many other ships still doing a full week in Bermuda...maybe a Royal Caribbean out of Norfolk? I'd search around. Have you cruised to Canada/New England with your tykes? That's a destination that's trying to market its family friendly sensibility.

Anyway, for anyone who's interested in what Journey looks like NOW -- in the midst of the refurbishment that's going on in the Bahamas -- stay tuned for our A Closer Look photo and video essay from the shipyard. It'll launch either Thursday or Friday...and it's fascinating.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

The Journey and the Quest are not kid friendly. They were built as NO KID ALLOWED ships.

Great ships but leave the kids at home.

LOL, let me be the first to tell you, Charles, that the R-series of ships (now sailing under flags for Oceania, Princess and, soon, Celebrity) are infamously bad at handling bad weather. I'm terribly sensitive to seasickness (oddly enough, given that I cruise for my job :D ) and I have sailed on probably 12 or so cruises on R ships. And there were some tough ones (particularly memorable was two days in the South Pacific on Tahitian Princess as we cruised to Rarotonga and back, and two days-that-seemed-like-seven when we sailed across the Bay of Biscay on Swan Hellenic's Minerva (now Royal Princess).

I love these ships more than any others out there, they're my favorites of all, but you wouldn't catch me dead or alive on a crossing. Again, though, I admit: I'm sensitive. Doesn't stop me from cruising on them to other places, though; I just pack an extra supply of Bonine.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Yes, I had several rough sea days on Zenith. Can't say it handled them that well. I suspect the Journey won't be any worse and will probably be better since it was designed for exotics. And there are 8 of the R ships which have been sailing all over the world, never heard that rough seas were a problem for them. But the possibilty of rough seas comes with the territory of sailing to Bermuda. If you are scared of rough seas or really bothered by them, one probably should not cruise to Bermuda even on a mega ship. Everyone has their own tolerances. I don't get sea sick and have a high tolerance.

Archived