carry on cosmetic questions

JunaluskaLady

They are considered solid--as long as they don't ooze or pour! Make sure you put all your liquid make-up (foundation, moisterizers, etc..) in one of those quart zip-loc bags. I know, I know, it's stupid to the max, but we're supposed to feel "safe" by doing so. Do you????

I wouldn't bring anything onboard besides a tube of lipstick. I will depend on the TSA who handles your bags, my son had his stick deoderant and his chapstick taken while my chapstick onb a different flight didn't get a second look. It is a hassle though and the less you carry the faster you can get through.

Personally, i never out on my makeup or deodorant during my flight, i do that before i get to the airport.

To much of a hassle, just put it all in your checked luggage.

Its not that you use it during the flight, its that if you're going on an overnight or short trip and want to pack only a carry-on, where do you put the liquid stuff if its over 3 oz? This is the biggest frustration for the silly 3-1-1 rule.

Its not that you use it during the flight, its that if you're going on an overnight or short trip and want to pack only a carry-on, where do you put the liquid stuff if its over 3 oz? This is the biggest frustration for the silly 3-1-1 rule.

You have 1 of 3 choices as I see it:

1.) you pack liquids over 3 ounces in your checked luggage

2.) you don't bring liquids over 3 ounces if you want to do carry-on.

3.) you find some other means of transportation rather than flying

If you're on an overnight or short trip, you simply don't need anything that's over 3 oz. So just bring small containers.

On a different thread, for example, someone was asking about toothpaste. I don't normally think much about toothpaste, but on my next trip after that, I noticed that a 50 ml tube of toothpaste (that had already been started, BTW) lasted me for a trip that was fractionally under two weeks. And that included my partner raiding mine from time to time.

It can be done. If you cannot find the product you want in small travel sizes, you can transfer your normal brand of product into a small travel bottle. Any drug store will sell these empty bottles in the cosmetic aisle. FYI though, you cannot take a small amount of any product be it toothpaste or hairspray in it's original container. You can only have three ounces or less in a container that holds a maximum of three ounces. And the plastic bag has to be one quart size or smaller.

It is a pain because it is a different way to pack than we have been used to but if you don't comply to the restrictions the hassle at the airport is so stressful. Not a good way to start any trip.

Good luck

There is another option that I often use - buy the stuff at your destination. This can also work for those long trips where you don't want the weight of liquids (contact solution, saline, mouthwash) interfering with your even-shrinking luggage allowance. I'll sometimes be on a 21-30 day cruise (back-to-backs), with tons of clothes, and there is no reason to take the "consumables" with you. Purchase the day before (another reason to go the day prior) and you are good to go.

Believe it or not, we take everything we need in a carryon. Thus the questions about liquids. We may not have the opportunity to purchase items easily once in Europe either. I'm getting the sense that a lot of arbitrary behavior occurs when screened. I've talked to friends who have taken liquids in a purse and not been questioned, etc.

At any rate, does anyone have stories to relate about having items questioned or removed?

My advice is to forget the carry on, pack what you want, and check the bag.

I see people try and get stuff through all the time. TSA dumps it. Don't even try and question them. It is a very BAD move !

If they spot something as the bag is going through the x-ray, they will tear everything apart in your bag. Everything will get examined.

Why take the chance of loosing it ? It is not worth the hassle.

I flew a few weeks ago with my two children. Since each passenger is allowed one quart-sized baggie, I used their allotments, as well. You'd be surprised how much you can fit into that baggie, anyway. We had to have all liquids, sprays, gels, makeups of all kinds (including mascara, lipstick, cover stick) in a baggie. Each item must be less than 3 oz. and must be in its original container. You cannot count a tube of toothpaste that probably has less than 3 oz. in it; the original container must be less than 3 oz. You can check the TSA website for the latest news or to answer this question more fully. Have fun!

Yes, it can be very arbitrary. If you're set on just doing carryons, I'd err on the side of safety and put anything you think might qualify in the quart zip-lock. Make sure that you take the zip-lock out and put it through the x-ray machine by itself. That way you won't have your suitcase searched.

It takes a little doing, but you can find almost everything in a 3 or less oz. container. And, I think, it has to be the original container, not one of those unmarked containers you can get at the drug store, but I'm not totally certain about that.

When this all first started, I mistakenly put my stuff in a gallon container. Luckily, I ran into a TSA person that was flexible. He looked at it, told me what I'd done wrong, but then let me have it back, saying that it looked like it would all fit into a quart container, so I could proceed. Very lucky that day!

Archived