Embarkation Clarification-Question

hobse

I know I have read that many people embark about noon, have lunch on board, wander around, and cabins are available about 2:30. Does this arrangement always exist even if the cruise docs state embark time is 2:30 (ship sails at 5) and the "ship information guide" basically says no boarding before then? We planned to be at the cruise terminal about noon and get to know the ship while the cabin is being prepared, but did not want to show up and not be able to board.

I've boarded early on the Diamond. I didn't want to--kept telling my husband they wouldn't be ready for us and had other important things to do--but he prevailed. They weren't quite ready--we had to wait about 5 minutes--but they were very nice and fine with it. Our cabins weren't ready, but we were able to go up to the deck and order drinks and lunch.

We boarded the Mariner in Vancouver last August at 12:30. There was a line for immigration because we shared the line with a Holland America ship. Once we cleared immigration, the line split between the two ships. I think we were on at 1:00. We put our carry on in the room and went up to the top deck for lunch.

We had no trouble boarding the Mariner in Fort Lauderdale on April 9 at about 12 noon. Our stewardess was still finishing up our suite, but told us just to leave our carry on bags. We went up to La Veranda for a lovely lunch. There were lots of folks on board that early.

I am currently on the Mariner. We left Ft. Lauderdale yesterday. Boarding time was 12:00, with La Veranda Restaurant open as well as the pool grill. Rooms were ready at 2:00.

Times were about the same one year ago on the Mariner out of San Francisco.

We arrived early in Ft. Lauderdale last March and this March for Mariner cruises. Last year we were accomodated in a "hospitality" area for about an hour, then were allowed to board (at leasts 2 hours before our "boarding" time). We were directed to either the Veranda or pool deck for lunch. An announcement was made when the suites were ready. When we entered our suite, our luggage was there, and our stewardess was ready for "our requests." This March, we arrived about 1 hour prior to our official "boarding time". Again, we boarded the Mariner, were offered champagne and usherd to lunch until our suite was ready.

We were on the Navigator in Oct. in the Med. We arrived early, sent to lunch and called when our suite was ready.

My conclusion---if you arrive early--you will be accomodated until your suite is ready.

Archived