For Those Traveling to Galveston 04/28-04/30/07 OR 05/04-05/07/07

Stircrzy

We cruised out of Galveston on April 15 and flew down a couple of days early to stay with my brother. He was taking us to Galveston on Sunday morning when we saw signs on I45 indicating the Galveston causeway was closed. Not knowing how long it would be closed or how bad the traffic would be when it opened, we decided to drive around to Port Bolivar and take the ferry across to Galveston Island. It was about a two hour drive, but we rather enjoyed it since we had never been that route before. And the ferry is free.

We cruised out of Galveston on April 15 and flew down a couple of days early to stay with my brother. He was taking us to Galveston on Sunday morning when we saw signs on I45 indicating the Galveston causeway was closed. Not knowing how long it would be closed or how bad the traffic would be when it opened, we decided to drive around to Port Bolivar and take the ferry across to Galveston Island. It was about a two hour drive, but we rather enjoyed it since we had never been that route before. And the ferry is free.

I did the self assist walk off but got caught too long in Customs and hit the bridge closure.

I can tell you it was closed from a few minutes after 8 a.m. until a little after 10 a.m. We were about #10 in line and sat there for just shy of 2 hours on the bridge. I was sure wishing I had not drunk coffee before I left the ship :(

We cruised on April 30. We caught FM 518 West to 288. Skipped the whole log jam.

FM 518 was stop and go traffic, but it sure beat stop and crawl traffic.

So if you are headed that way, go 288 South to FM 518 E to I 45 South, you should have no problems!

Sandy

Archived