Got my docs but dissapointment

giraffez

Got my docs today but not as excited as I thought I would be. The document package looked like a rough job. The wallet itself had threads hanging out all over the place and the document was poor - the cutting was off which made it looked really unprofessional. Hoping the cruise isn't like that...:(

One thing, there are two of us travelling and it came combined in the same wallet - is that always the case? I was expecting two seperate wallets.

Ours was all screwed up at first. When we got the second wallet, it was damaged. I agree it doesn't bode well, but I think that the head office and the people actually involved with the cruises are very different people.

...snip... One thing, there are two of us travelling and it came combined in the same wallet - is that always the case? I was expecting two seperate wallets.

Jim and I (married couple) get one contract booklet, one excursion booklet, 2 Mariners badges, 5 Mariners luggage tags, 5 ship luggage tags and other various pamphlets all in one perfect trifold wallet. Then I take the contract booklet and tags and put them in a smaller transparent folder and toss the rest.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess and Sir James

Got my docs today but not as excited as I thought I would be. The document package looked like a rough job. The wallet itself had threads hanging out all over the place and the document was poor - the cutting was off which made it looked really unprofessional. Hoping the cruise isn't like that...:(

One thing, there are two of us travelling and it came combined in the same wallet - is that always the case? I was expecting two seperate wallets.

Did you go directly through HAL or through an online TA etc?

Haven't gotten a tri-fold wallet in years.

Our new blue cloth one came in perfect order and the documents were all cut correctly.

For about a year now we have gotten the new luggage tags that are also the mariner's tags -- all in one. I didn't think that HAL was using separate luggage tags and Mariner tags anymore.

Once you have cruised on HAL you are considered a Mariner. The new cardboard luggage tags will not only have the ship's name on it and a place to fill in all the information, but they all have "Mariner" on them.

Not necessarily. Last year prior to our cruise on the Oosterdam, we got plain luggage tags and I only found out they should have had "Mariner" on them in CC conversation with Laffnvegas. When I asked the TA about them, he had some extras that he gave me but it didn't really matter. It's not like the luggage handlers were going to be more gentle with my cheap luggage just because it said "Mariner". :rolleyes:

I think it depends on who you use for your booking. Some travel agencies give you the wallet, some don't unless you ask for it. Some travel agencies don't seem to know about the fact that all luggage tags are not alike so just send whatever is handy, as long as the ship name is correct. Some agencies never send the mariner buttons. When you book directly with HAL they usually get everything right. Have never received a wallet that was poorly made. Hopefully that was just a small quality control glitch in the system.

Usually if the two travelling together are a married couple, there will be only one document folder and one contract booklet but two of anything that needs to be completed by an individual. With two different people, in my experience, HAL sends two document folders.

One thing to watch out for..if the two people travelling together live at different addresses, HAL will send all docs to one of the addresses unless you specify up front that they should be sent to each person separately.

My girlfriend and I always get separate wallets, but that's because we have different last names. I'm sure if we only had one surname, we'd only get one wallet :)

That being said, be thankful you get a nice doc wallet & printed docs - we're sailing Princess in September and we aren't too happy about doing the whole 'print your own tickets' game. Needless to say I'll be using one of my old HAL folders to take all our travel docs to the terminal!

When we sailed on the Sky Princess last year, we got hardly anything in advance, just a couple of pages and some very small luggage tags.

IMO, HAL's document package, including the wallet, is just about the best of any of the mass market, large ship cruise lines.

We did not just throw the wallets away, and we did, in fact, use one of them on the Princess Cruise. There are some other good uses for them as well.

I like the new HAL document wallets. Sounds like you got a defective one. It happens.

DH and I get one set of docs in one wallet. The only time we get two wallets is if we have booked back-to-backs. Each cruise is then documented separately.

Congratulations on having your docs and enjoy your short countdown to your cruise.

I like the new HAL document wallets. Sounds like you got a defective one. It happens.

DH and I get one set of docs in one wallet. The only time we get two wallets is if we have booked back-to-backs. Each cruise is then documented separately.

Congratulations on having your docs and enjoy your short countdown to your cruise.

Michelle and I got separate wallets for our last trip, but maybe that is because we have different last names?

I haven't received anything but e-docs for the last few years. Probably because I book about 30 days out? I don't mind, but still it would be nice to get something like what's described above. I have booked thru both HAL directly and through online TA's.

If you booked as a couple and/or family under the same last name, you will receive one wallet with the appropriate "stuff" inside.

HAL changed the luggage tags a while back (see pic) and no longer sends out the separate rectangular "Alumni" and/or oval "Mariner" tags that they used before.

1676247626_HALluggagetags-old(left)new(right).jpg.4f5edc31308174aa7efb1ac551c63c8b.jpg

101819207_HALAlumniluggagetag(old).jpg.4de80086ab309a135e2630e2f961163c.jpg

274761624_HALAlumniluggagetag(old)2.jpg.52ca5ad6e71496b06de4dc113fdbc90d.jpg

1291716630_HALMarinerluggagetag(old).jpg.ace6f7f1af2113fea5804364135dcd8a.jpg

I am always amazed at what disappoints people. You are about to embark on a fabulous vacation and you are complaining about the type of document wallet that you are getting? I have about a dozen old document wallets sitting on my desk. Give an address and I shall mail them postage paid to you!

At least the folder/wallet doesn't stink and you have to throw it out !!!:eek:

Anyone remember that batch that stunk to high heaven ? :rolleyes:

At least the folder/wallet doesn't stink and you have to throw it out !!!:eek:

Anyone remember that batch that stunk to high heaven ? :rolleyes:

Actually, I still have mine. I kept it because I wanted to save just one of that style to add to my collection, and the stink FINALLY went away. It sure was bad at the outset, though!

Archived