Hubbard Glacier

CasaSmith

We will be in Hubbard Glacier on May 15 and it says we will be cruising from 9 am to 1 pm. What time should we set our alarm to get up and be upstairs so we can see sailing in? Also viewing for whales???

Thanks,

You'll probably start entering Yakutat Bay around 7am. Any time is a good time for watching as you go into the bay and head to Hubbard.

For more information on Hubbard, there's a great website available at

http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/hubbard

Dang. I guess glacier viewing day is gonna be an early one.

Should we be out on deck for 630?

Get up as early as possible because it is so worth it. I have been to Hubbard twice and my third is coming up this month. No matter what time of day you get there it is so worth the effort of getting up.:)

Marilyn

I am up 30 min. prior to dawn, this is extremely scenic sailing. :)

I go to no shows on the ship, it's all outside in Alaska. :) I am never tired, nor resent the early starts. If it's going to be for you, then perhaps skip it? But the rewards are plenty.

What are the rough numbers of ppl who are up this early (just pre-dawn)?

Are they outside? Standing on the inside?

Only a handful - I have the ship to myself for morning shoots. Often I see nobody but cleaning crew for the first hour I'm shooting. Different strokes and all that...

Murray

Our Princess ship will be going to Glacier Bay rather than Hubbard Glacier, and we arrive at 6 a.m. (yawn). For sure we will have 4 early mornings during the cruise, plus one more if we want to see some of Vancouver Island on day 2. But I am SO looking forward to seeing the beautiful scenery that I won't mind skipping the nighttime entertainment in order to get up early every morning. As much as I dislike waking up early, once I'm awake - I truly enjoy the early morning hours of the day.

There are very few people up early and frequently I am the only one. I am always on an outside deck as I hate "window" viewing. :)

Don't forget the time difference, it isn't that early using Alaska time. With PST getting an extra hour. And I pretty much stick with my EST mode, never changing my watch. :)

I normally get up at 6. There are only a few people out on the deck like me. The viewing through inside passage was very scenic. Just have to get the camera and binoculars ready, something will always pop up when you least expect it.

Like BQ we skip the shows on Alaskan cruises so that we can be up bright and early for all the beautiful scenery.

We were surprised last year that a lot of people were up early when we went into Hubbard Glacier. We have been there at least times that I can remember and have never seen another cruise ship there with us. JMO - I think Hubbard is better as the ice is bluer.

I'm an early riser and that really pays off on glacier day! The trip into the inlet is amazing even if it's foggy. On most days I have coffee and watch the sunrise then take coffee back to to the room and sit on the balcony with WW. On any day but glacier day, I'm generally alone except for the walk-a-holics up on the track.

Do not forget your camera..Hubbard is pretty active!

large.jpg

More images at: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/alaska2006

Enjoy your trip!

Dave

I'm an early riser and that really pays off on glacier day! The trip into the inlet is amazing even if it's foggy. On most days I have coffee and watch the sunrise then take coffee back to to the room and sit on the balcony with WW. On any day but glacier day, I'm generally alone except for the walk-a-holics up on the track.

Very cool pics!! I'll be sure to get up extra early on the day we enter Hubbard.

And, I had to laugh when I read WW. Now, I know that DW=dear wife and the first thing I though of when reading WW was "wide wife." :eek:

Very cool pics!! I'll be sure to get up extra early on the day we enter Hubbard.

And, I had to laugh when I read WW. Now, I know that DW=dear wife and the first thing I though of when reading WW was "wide wife." :eek:

I usually don't abbreviate Wonderful Wife and after that never, ever will in the future!!!

I wonder how many people get offended at DH (Deadbeat Husband)?:D

Dave

Thanks for the pictures Dave!

We went to Glacier Bay last year and tis year it will be Hubbard. Since we are sailing from Juneau the night before I know that I will be up a the crack of dawn....up until 1pm when we arrive.

Last year there was lots of sea life between Skagway and the entrance to GB -including humpbacks :D It is definitely worth it to be up on deck!

Archived