Kids sail free!?

immer

JUst to quickly reiterate - on the child- appropriate cruises, there is a lot for the children to do. Their program is divided into 2 or 3 age groups and the children and teen agers can be active and supervised until 11 at night. Children who have been in Regent's program as well as those on mass market cruises, much prefer Regent because of the special attention they get.

I would strongly recommend Regent for families during school holidays and summer vacation.

II was perhaps overly honest here because I feel that families considering Regent should understand that, in general, the average age of the passengers is older and that the set-up does not include a lot of things for children to do.

I disagree that the set-up does not include a lot of things for children to do because Club Mariner kept the children on our cruise entertained for housrs. Granted, the activities were mainly in the evening, nonetheless, there was always something to do. I know Club Mariner is not offered on all cruises, only the ones that are during summer and school holidays.

It is interesting to read how many parents of perfect children we have on these boards. These are obviously not the ones people complain about (although it seems that the protests are a bit strong -- a bit defensive perhaps?)

Something all parents should understand here...no one thinks your children are as well behaved and adorable as you do.

I'm with you Travelcat, it's rather unfortunate that even though there so many other family-orientated options, people still choose to bring small children on a luxury cruise.

Maybe they (parents and children) prefer luxury cruises compared to mass market. People who don't enjoy beiing with children and who prefer being with a bunch of grouchy old people should be smart enough to avoid the times of year when children would be cruising.

No one is getting beat up here. This is a discussion of different perspectives.:) :confused:

I acknowledge the perception that my kids just being on a "luxury" cruise ship is objectionable to some. Similarly, I acknowledge the perception that going on a cruise with "dead people" (the term is actually used often) is objectionable to some.

There is not a post here claiming their child is perfect. A perfect child (person) is not possible. On occasion my kids will forget their manners and step into an elevator before another person steps off. They might get a bit loud for a moment at the pool, etc. Then again, how many adults push into an elevator and call across the pool, or cut in line? If the fact is that it was done by a child is more offensive, that is neither mine nor my child's problem; it is the one with the unforgiving perception.

And, yes, those that don't like me or my children just because we exist on the cruise infringe on our cruise...but it is their problem and we still enjoy ourselves. And we have that opinion because the cruise line has made it a "kid's appropriate" cruise by not excluding them with an age limitation.

Now, I must run because some man is trying to pull into one of my reserved parking spaces.;)

Good point, Eric! I have seen terribly-mannered adults on Regent more so than ill-behaved children.

Perhaps as parents we do seem less objective regarding our own kids...many adults are less objective about their own behavior.:D

I asked in an earlier message where adults and parents can go to have an "adult" cruising experience. It was suggested that the school calendar be checked. That is exactly what we did -- checked every possible scenario for holidays during our travel time. Apparently parents take children out of school to travel.

Well behaved children are always a delight to see!

And a good many of them do just that. I get so tired of hearing "if you don't want to cruise with kids, cruise during the school year"......I do just that, but unfortunately, there are always lots of kids on board. Some kids are home-schooled and can go whenever they want to. And some parents don't think twice about pulling a kid out of school for a family vacation. It seems OK to keep your child out of school, so they can go on a fun family trip...........I don't see why most of them can't go on their family vacation during the summer/holiday school breaks.

jmho......

I am glad to have seen this discussion. This is my first week-long cruise and it does have a "kids sail free" component. I will be interested in seeing this in action, especially on such a ship that does not necessarily cater to children. But I am a kid at heart so perhaps I will feel at home! My father took me on a cruise when I was quite young and to this day (45 years later) I remember the kindness of staff and passengers.

Regarding the earlier comment:

"I hope 'kid-phobia' doesn't prevent you from cruising on Regent during

the summer or at other times; just I don't let the odd angry-pushy-

rude adult determine when or where I am going.

To keep it in perspective, the "kids are problem" threads pop up once in

a while...and that is like any problem. It is 'once in a while'."

I would have to say that "once in a while" is not much consolation when perhaps a cruise vacation of this nature is "once in a while" or a particularly special event. I think it certainly would be prudent to avoid such "kids sail fee" cruises. The angry-pushy-rude-adult analogy is not relevant. I have just never seen an "angry-pushy-rude-adult" promotion that would certainly raise a flag.

It's not so much a matter of not liking kids, it is more a matter of whether one does not want to be confronted by a potentially large number of children during this always special cruise time.

Want them or not, they will be there. So at best tolerate, and even moreso, help make their time a memorable one! Smiles are contagious.

JC4UK,

I agree that if someone doesn't want to cruise with children (as is their right to that desire), the best option is to keep away from "kids sail free" promotions and any cruise with Club Mariner noted. If nothing else it will increase the odds of "low to no" child levels.

I would also point out that I have never booked a "kid's sail free" promotion on any line. Why? Most families have two or more children rendering the offer (which is limited to one child in a suite or cabin) of no use to them.

I also appreciate that a cruise may well be someone's "once in a lifetime experience" and that should be respected and appreciated. The only point I was making is that any person, of any age, has the ability to do the wrong thing or offend a passenger.

I have heard much to much (i.e. children, elderly, gay, black, mixed marriage, Indian, Russian, etc., etc.) That stuff angers me and I cannot comprehend it, but it exists. I guess what I am saying is, on a ship there is a community and we must not only tolerate others, we must act respectfully toward them. I agree, Smiles are Contagious!

Eric,

Yep, the phrase "we're all in this boat together" certainly applies on many levels. I appreciate your informative posts in so many areas of this board.

I have found them very helpful.

JC

We also were on the March 13 cruise with the "vacationing children" I suggest that given the cost of cruising with Regent (regardless of time of year) that NO ONE has a right to disturb another passenger. The children mentioned were in fact very undisciplined. But then again frankly so were the parents (grandparents) yelling from the hot tub and drinking in the pool. As others have stated the behaviour of the children is a result of the parents and frankly I am not sure how this can be addressed.

I have two grandchildren age 3 and 5 and their first exposure to cruising will be on Disney where they belong.

Many good points were made today. Just want to respond to three:

"Catnip" I agree with you completely. ;)

"Oliver's Mom" -- as stated previously on this thread, even if you travel when school is in, it doesn't help much. I have not been on a Regent cruise when Club Mariner was running -- it is good to hear that they have a good program. IF children could travel when school was out (for example: Christmas, New Year's, Easter, Winter Break, Spring Break, President's week, Martin Luther King's birthday, Memorial Day plus the 3 summer months), it would give everyone a chance to have the type of holiday they prefer.:confused:

"safrwhitby" summed it up the best -- "no one has the right to disturb other passengers". Amen to that:)

Just a little footnote to the March 13 cruise. The aforementioned children were actually asked to leave the safety drill before we even set sail. They were screaming and chasing each other through the Horizon Lounge while the crew attempted to explain the safety precautions. One member of the crew discreetly walked over to the oblivious parents(and grandparents), and thankfully they left the area. This was within the first few hours on board! It was a 10 day cruise. By day 10, many of the patient, child loving cruisers had had enough. We didn't "sail free " and in many instances, we had planned this peaceful Caribbean adventure months in advance.

For all parents with wonderful, well-mannered, delightful children, you must realize the bad taste that this particular "kids sail free" cruise left for many of us. It was enough to make most say, "Never again!!":mad:

I can certainly understanding your feelings as well as the "bad taste." However, please don't let an experience like that ruin the possibility of other wonderful cruises for you, just because there might be a few children on board. I do think that people should have complained to staff continuously, if necessary on the March 13 cruise.

For the most part, people that would cruise on Regent and certainly those who would take their children/grandchildren on such a trip, have children that are more than up to the type of cruise it is.

My kids have been on 3 cruises as kids (now they are pretty much young adults). On one, they were the only kids on the ship. The other two, there were maybe 6 kids total. I expect them to behave wherever they are, and if they didn't, we would have made a swift exit to the room and have a serious "talk". But I made them behave at church (yes, you can sit through something for a hour and be quiet even if it is boring to you) and in restaurants too. I doubt the kids that were running wild ever had to behave for anything. Personally, I would have gotten on the the kids if their parents wouldn't if they were bothering me. I've done it on an airplane before when a kid was kicking the back of my seat, and it actually worked. (I can sound pretty mean. 14 years of teaching 4th grade boys Sunday school).

My kids have been on 3 cruises as kids (now they are pretty much young adults). On one, they were the only kids on the ship. The other two, there were maybe 6 kids total. I expect them to behave wherever they are, and if they didn't, we would have made a swift exit to the room and have a serious "talk". But I made them behave at church (yes, you can sit through something for a hour and be quiet even if it is boring to you) and in restaurants too. I doubt the kids that were running wild ever had to behave for anything. Personally, I would have gotten on the the kids if their parents wouldn't if they were bothering me. I've done it on an airplane before when a kid was kicking the back of my seat, and it actually worked. (I can sound pretty mean. 14 years of teaching 4th grade boys Sunday school).

...will get 'em every time! I teach fifth grade; I have that stare down to an art!

We were on the Alaska cruise last September (MUSH) and didn't encounter too many kids. I think you are safer if ships sails while school is in session.

Not as good luck on a Christmas cruise to Mexico this year...but I don't think that was kids sail free-it might have been but I am not sure. I think most of the grandparents were paying for the kids. It wasn't awful...but wasn't so great either.

They should really "warn" those who are kidless that the cruise may pack a lot of kiddies. Great for the kids...and those that have them. Not so great for the others.

Oh, please!! I don't book a cruise, spend thousands of dollars to discipline somebody else's kids!!

I can certainly understanding your feelings as well as the "bad taste." However' date=' please don't let an experience like that ruin the possibility of other wonderful cruises for you, just because there might be a few children on board. I do think that people should have complained to staff continuously, if necessary on the March 13 cruise.

For the most part, people that would cruise on Regent and certainly those who would take their children/grandchildren on such a trip, have children that are more than up to the type of cruise it is.[/quote']

The passengers did complain to the staff.Regent even reminded everyone in the daily paper regarding pool and hot tub rules,however the godfather ops grandfather and his family paid no heed.Perhaps they were above admonishment.

Yes, that was quite a cruise. Having been on well over 50 cruises, only 2 with problem children stand out: last summer on Celebrity with a large group of children who's parents were invisible and the famous March 13 Regent cruise. Were there children on the other 50-odd cruises? I don't know. Possibly. If there were, they were well-behaved as were their parents/grandparents.

As one of the posters said, these children were being children and would have been much happier (as would the parents/grandparents) on a Disney ship where they was much more to do. Indeed Regent did have supervision, but when they were loose, you knew it. Oceania has an interesting point of view on this: they don't encourage children because there is nothing for them to do. I'm para-phrasing, but you get the point.

Hi Pat.

Esther

Oh, please!! I don't book a cruise, spend thousands of dollars to discipline somebody else's kids!!

If they're bothering you that much, either do something about it or accept being bothered. I don't spend thousands of dollars to go on a cruise to discipline someone else's children either, but if they are that bothersome to me, I would get on their case, and I can guarantee they would be at least staying away from me.

It is more than a shame when a long awaited (and expensive) cruise is ruined by a few. I have felt the pain on another upscale line with antics that were inexcusable (adults and their children, as well).

It is impossible to pick your fellow passengers, but fortunately on my 20+ cruises I have only encountered one such experience. Hopefully that March cruise will be a one off thing...as in our little world on this board hasn't yet come up with other such events.

We have seen some very well behaved children and some that were not. The blame goes directly to the parents who think their actions are so cute and totally oblivious to their bad behavior. On the other hand, I have seen very polite children who were well mannered and I go out of my way to tell the parents how good they are.

Two years ago I was on Crystal dining at Prego's at 9:00 PM when this couple arrived with their two and three year old. The screeching and tantrum was way too much for us and we requested to be seated in Jade Garden. The staff will not get involved with parents.

First of all, Crystal has baby sitting services and why are those kid's eating so late? I guess these parents must be from the Dr. Spock era or at least read his pathetic book on child rearing. Dr. Spock did not believe in discipline. Just let them be a free spirit.

If I ever encounter this again on any luxury line you can be assured I will be addressing the parents. We spend top dollar whether it be Regent, Crystal, Seabourn or Silversea and I worked to dam hard to be able to cruise on a luxury line. And I will not put up with kid's out of control. JMHO

Archived