Formal Wear for Kids?

Hi there. On our July 18th cruise on the Legend of the Seas (Italy & Croatia), I understand that there will be two formal and two smart casual nights. What does that mean for kids. We have two boys who are 15 and 13, and a daughter who is 10 (she is easier). Do I need to buy suits for the boys??

Also, would the kids be OK in shorts for the casual nights?

Thanks! Since this is our first cruise, we have lots of questions.

The dress code is the same no matter the age, for formal nights your boys should have suits and or sports jackets and ties.

Shorts are NOT allowed in the dining room for dinner on any night though for breakfast and lunch they are fine. If you don't want to pack suits tuxes can be rented ahead of time through RCCL and they are put into your cabin upon embarkation and you turn it in the last night of the cruise. You can just go to a local tux store for measurements.

Just think of the wonderful formal portraits you can have or your family!!

i have boys about the same age... on my cruises I've seen very few teenage boys with suits...the vast majority have dress pants, dress shirt & tie on the formal nights.... chinos or dress pants & polo shirts or short sleeved dress shirts on the smart casual nights.

we did pack suit jackets, but my guys didn't wear them & weren't "out of place" at all. If you're really dressy folks then go for the suits, but I haven't seen many boys over the age of about 6 in tuxes.

we went for the casual family "lifestyle" photos on the ship (we were all in jeans on a white background) rather than the fancy formal photos ..fits my hockey boys better.

have fun!!

For teens and younger, I have found that slacks, dress shirt and tie is a very appropriate combination on formal night. We did bring sports jackets which my kids wore the first few times, but they are not necessary if you don't have them. I wouldn't buy them for one trip when your kids are actively growing.

We saw --many, many-- adults, including the ones at our large table (who were seated with us randomly) who wore polo shirts and jeans. This made it hard for me as a mother, because I had told my kids how important it was to 'dress up'. I still made them dress up subsequently, but I let them leave off the jacket.

Don't let anyone try to tell you that you will need tuxes or even dress suits for the kids, thats a laugh.;)

My son is 14.5 and he is very into fashion and likes to get dressed and look good. He has never felt out of place in a tuxedo since my DH has and wears one on Formal nights. My daughter and I wear gowns.

The dress code is universal meaning it definitely includes your children. Leave the shorts & jeans for during the day, it is a big no-no at night even for casual dinners. People that know the dress code will look. (human nature there,lol) Just dress appropriately.

We look forward to looking our finest when we cruise!!

I have 13 yr old twin boys and we have 2 formal nights (7 nighter). I buy tuxedos (new) off of Ebay and have them altered. For us, they cost $25 + S&H. For $30 we have 2 nights clothing covered and the boys love dressing up in tuxedos - makes for great family photos,too! Cheaper than a suit and tie!

Karen

I have 13 yr old twin boys and we have 2 formal nights (7 nighter). I buy tuxedos (new) off of Ebay and have them altered. For us, they cost $25 + S&H. For $30 we have 2 nights clothing covered and the boys love dressing up in tuxedos - makes for great family photos,too! Cheaper than a suit and tie!

Karen

boingy;

I am SO glad you mentioned eBay! lol I typed out this longggg paragraph earlier about if you were on a budget you can buy a tuxedo on ebay cheaper than a suit++ in a store! Ive also sold $75 suits that my son wore 2 or 3x for $20-25, so it is easy to look appropriate even if you're on a budget.

boingy;

I am SO glad you mentioned eBay! lol I typed out this longggg paragraph earlier about if you were on a budget you can buy a tuxedo on ebay cheaper than a suit++ in a store! Ive also sold $75 suits that my son wore 2 or 3x for $20-25, so it is easy to look appropriate even if you're on a budget.

I just pass them onto my neighbor who has 3 little boys and is planning a cruise in the next 5 years. She is thrilled with them! It's almost the price of a nice polo shirt!! Are you affiliated with the website from your screen name? Love that site/packing lists!

Karen

Our experience was different. We found the Med cruise to be a bit more formal than our Caribbean cruises. All of the teen boys were dressed in jackets and ties and the girls were dressed to the nines, particluarly the teens from southern Europe (Italian teens). Chances are, they will have probably never seen anything like it - Your boys eyes will be WIDE OPEN and they will want to be appropriately dressed.

I have girls and they had on beautiful dresses but the Italian and French teens (boys and girls) were very very fashionable - some of these kids looked spectacular and they had the parents to match!

No one was in shorts in the dining room.

Hockeymum, I asked a similar question as we have 3 boys 13, 11, & 9. I have come to the conclusion that you should wear what you are comfortable with. I don't think a suit is necesary. Some people like to dress up more than others. I will probably just take them a pair of khaki slacks and dress shirt. It is your vacation and you should enjoy it. Dressing up is not enjoyable for our family on vacation. I know I am new to the board and not trying to cause an argument. My wife and I both dress every day for work and our kids are very well dressed in their casual close, but putting on a suit is not fun for them.

I just pass them onto my neighbor who has 3 little boys and is planning a cruise in the next 5 years. She is thrilled with them! It's almost the price of a nice polo shirt!! Are you affiliated with the website from your screen name? Love that site/packing lists!

Karen

Web site???

Hmmm....No, wish I was I guess?! lol

Hockeymum, I asked a similar question as we have 3 boys 13, 11, & 9. I have come to the conclusion that you should wear what you are comfortable with. I don't think a suit is necesary. Some people like to dress up more than others. I will probably just take them a pair of khaki slacks and dress shirt. It is your vacation and you should enjoy it. Dressing up is not enjoyable for our family on vacation. I know I am new to the board and not trying to cause an argument. My wife and I both dress every day for work and our kids are very well dressed in their casual close, but putting on a suit is not fun for them.

No arguments here! My sister felt the same way. She dressed up all week and the last thing she wanted to do on vacation is dress up! She enjoyed Windjammer, or changing immediately after dinner to "comfortable clothes". It's whatever you enjoy. I think many of us are just following the cruiselines suggested wear. I honestly cannot tell what any other cruisers have worn to dinner, nor did I care what they wore! It seems they have dropped a smart casual night down to 1 night, from 2 so: 5 polo shirts and 1 tuxedo for us, except for the 1 night they'll wear a tie! Easy enough! The boys will be easy to pack for!

Karen

But....the question was specifically about a Mediterranean cruise and I tend to agree with vacationhappy that the European teens both boys and girls will be dressed to the nines and many, MANY in couture. They are way more fashion savvy, American teens wouldnt feel out of place "all dressed up" at all on a European cruise. IMHO, khaki pants are casual, not formal even by a stretch.

Many cruiselines (or is it ship specific?) will direct those that arent appropriately dressed to the Windjammer (that was on our voyager once)- or to the buffet? restaurant. We saw it happen. :eek:

Casual clothes are perfect for casual nights!

In the end, it is all subjective as to how you dress in your every day life, your expectations of a "Holiday on Board an Ocean Liner" and what the cruiseline requests and if you respect that.

Web site???

Hmmm....No, wish I was I guess?! lol

Take your screen name drop the NJ and add a dot com. Great website for packing. Not in love with their reviews, but the packing lists help.

Karen

No arguments here! My sister felt the same way. She dressed up all week and the last thing she wanted to do on vacation is dress up! She enjoyed Windjammer, or changing immediately after dinner to "comfortable clothes". It's whatever you enjoy. I think many of us are just following the cruiselines suggested wear. I honestly cannot tell what any other cruisers have worn to dinner, nor did I care what they wore! It seems they have dropped a smart casual night down to 1 night, from 2 so: 5 polo shirts and 1 tuxedo for us, except for the 1 night they'll wear a tie! Easy enough! The boys will be easy to pack for!

Karen

Karen: Ahhhh I Just noticed your signature and that you're sailing in just a few days!! Woo hoo, excited for you.

At some point after dinner on Formal nights we also change into more comfy clothing!! We stroll a bit and we do enjoy looking at others beautiful attire then off-we-gooooo and get into a totally different and more relaxed outfit!

Im not sailing until Dec 23 (Unless I squeeze one in this summer), but I am already making some purchases here & there, like SHOES that I will find a dress or outfit to go with! It is all in the excitement for us.

I will have to check out the web site for the packing list...thanks for sharing!! (still wish it were me lol)

Yeah we are really excited and ready to go. I've never done a Christmas cruise! What fun! I have gone in early Dec. and the ship is very pretty in it's holiday garb.

I will post after my cruise about the tone of dress. It'll be the first time I ever looked at anyone else, so I may forget!lol.

(Although I do remember a drunk elderly man in shorts and a fake reggae hat w/ braids making a scene on a formal night in 1993.........Oy, him I remember!)

Karen

Yeah we are really excited and ready to go. I've never done a Christmas cruise! What fun! I have gone in early Dec. and the ship is very pretty in it's holiday garb.

I will post after my cruise about the tone of dress. It'll be the first time I ever looked at anyone else, so I may forget!lol.

(Although I do remember a drunk elderly man in shorts and a fake reggae hat w/ braids making a scene on a formal night in 1993.........Oy, him I remember!)

Karen

Karen....

Are you a native New Yorker?? (like me?)

I very often use the word "garb". I think it is partially due to having been in the fashion industry. Most people just give me the oddest look and ask me what garb is!! My response is usually, "Oy", so you're post made me smile alot!

Where are you sailing to?

Stacey

Archived