Oceania's favoured airlines?

Hi,

I'm wondering which airlines Oceania tends to use, or have block agreements with, from North America. Specifically from Canada, which means not the American carriers. Toronto is a European hub destination, and most of the European carriers fly direct from here--KLM, Lufthansa, Air France, BA, Swissair, SAS, etc. Any ideas?

Both times we cruised with Oceania we flew BA from Toronto to London and then on to Lisbon. We flew Air France home from Venice, connecting in Paris. AA from Rio, which of course doesn't apply to you!

Mo

We were on Nautica, Nov 06, Istanbul to Singapore.

We used Oceania's air, SFO to Paris, connecting to Istanbul, on Air France.

Returning, it was Cathy Pacific, Singapore to Hong Kong, connecting CP HK to SFO.

We did the Baltic on Regatta, Aug 05, Copenhagen to London.

We also used Oceania's air. Flight over was a European carrier, I think SAS, with one change of planes. I don't recall which airport was the connecting flight. Flight back was direct LHR/SFO, I don't recall which airline.

I checked with my wife, who has a better memory for detail!

When we did Oceania's Regatta into the Baltic, we flew United SFO to Chicago, and were supposed to fly SAS Chicago to Stockholm. SAS "pranged" a plane in Hong Kong, our flight was cancelled, and SAS put us on a flight to Copenhagen, connecting to Stockholm. We did get to the ship with a couple hours to spare!

Our return from London Heathrow was non-stop to SFO on United.

We paid the deviation fee and chose to fly BA from YYZ back in 2004. Not sure what air carriers they use...we didn't want to take a chance on routing through the U.S. airports

I believe the answer would be ..... O books whichever will get you there the cheapest.

We have used O's air and been on several different airlines: AA - LAX to Miami; United - LAX to London; SAS - Stockholm to Frankfurt; Lufthansa - Frankfurt to LAX; AirFrance - Paris to LAX.

We have bought deviations each time.....so we could fly in a day or so early and fly out a day or two later.

I have seen posts with folks also flying on Delta, BA, Continental, etc.

I think the O travel office buys the best (cheapest) airfare from the gateway city you are flying out of......

Sharon

Hi

My husband and I are on the Barcelona - Athens cruise in August (flying from Toronto) and while we do not have our airline confirmation yet, our TA told us that based on what he has seen lately, Oceania favours British Airways or Lufthansa for Toronto to Europe routes.

Of course, that could change. :)

Hi Wendy

We used O air from YYZ (Toronto) to Istanbul through CDG (Paris) on Air France.

Then post cruise from Athens - CDG - YYZ on Air France.

Really enjoyed the service on AF

We are currently working on Air Deviations from YYZ to Rome and Home from Singapore on our Nautica Rome to Singapore sailing. I can post back when we get our answers from O.

• 3 months later...

ChatKat - I posted a question for you on another thread before finding this post. I have been checking the various airlines, flights and times from LAX to Istanbul and from Athens to LAX for our cruise next May. Did you find your flight times to your liking? I have been checking the various airlines from Athens and most of them seem to leave in the very early morning hours.

Thanks for your help.

We did LA - Munich - Rome in Lufthansa Business Class in 05/2007. Fantastic plane (A340 Airbus), service & food. Came back Stockholm -Frankfort-LA on LHT Business also. Frankfort to LA was on 747, which had great service & food too.

What never ceases to amaze me is a meal (not a snack) is served on short flights in Europe...quickly & efficiently...forget about that in the good old US skies.

In last Sunday's L.A. Times (not the greatest newspaper) Travel Section, there was an article stating that BA had the worst record for lost luggage than any other airline. It gave several case examples. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

BA also has very bad press in the British newspapers, that's why I want to avoid them if possible. Horrendous long delays and lost luggage would be a catastrophy on a cruise. Maybe they will smarten up before next May?

Leonid: If Business Class was more reasonable - I would book in a heartbeat. I have only had the good fortune of travelling Business Class (upgraded many years ago) once in my life - and it was wonderful.

My TA for the O cruise we took in June said that out of LAX they usually use Lufthansa. We were very happy with our flight times - we left in the afternoon and arrived in time for dinner in Istanbul. There was enough time in Frankfurt to walk around, freshen up a bit, have a coffee and even shop in the terminal. The service on the plane was excellent - even wine was included with meals, which were not bad by airline standards. Compared to the Delta flight home, it was like day and night.

In last Sunday's L.A. Times (not the greatest newspaper) Travel Section, there was an article stating that BA had the worst record for lost luggage than any other airline. It gave several case examples. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

BA did not lose our luggage last year. They did manage to destroy a suitcase somewhere between Istanbul and Phoenix, however.

Archived