Room with no window ???

JPerry

I booked the least expensive room on our cruise, ya know the rooms without windows. I figure that we probably wont be in our room much. Is it really that bad having no window?:confused:

We wondered the same thing so we booked an oceanview on our first cruise. We've booked inside cabins every since. You are right about not being in the cabin much and if you want to nap, the room is nice and dark. (When you are my age you like to nap alot.);) I'm not crazy about the bunk beds, but we've gone that route too. I can do it for a week. Especially when I get to eat 24 hours a day.:eek:

I've had only one inside cabin, and never again. I didn't realize that I'm claustrophobic until I got into that cabin.:rolleyes: Even though there are curtains to give the illusion that there's a window...didn't work for me. There were no extra OV cabins, so I was stuck, and not perfectly happy on that cruise.

I DO spend some time in my cabin, as everyone does, and when I'm in there, I really want to "see the sea"! I normally book specific porthole cabins to keep the cost down, and I enjoy those cabins. Only if there's a real deal do I book an OV...portholes serve my purpose just fine.:)

We have also only had one inside but not due to claustrophobia. On our first cruise where our TA told us I didn't matter because we are only in the room to sleep and change clothes.

Well, on that 7 day cruise, we only made it one breakfast and barely made our tours or lunch. The darkness of the room combined with the gently rocking of the ship caused us to sleepily roll over after turning off the alarm and fall right back asleep.

After that we have booked an oceanview at the minimum. At night, we leave the window curtains open just a crack (never fully open unless you have a sea day the next day - you don't know what will be next to you in port) so that a little daylight comes in the room. We are the type that need daylight to really wake up and start moving.

It's not that bad but a window is nice. I couldn't tell what time it was.

I highly recommend that you turn on the bow cam at night then some "natural" light will filter into your room in the morning.

We're another family that's had one inside and won't be booking one again. Some people love them; we do NOT! People say you're in your cabin only to sleep and change, but we found that's not the case. We enjoy relaxing there before dinner and we especially like being able to sit on our balcony and have a drink or read. We've had balconies on every cruise since that first inside cabin. We just didn't like being unable to look out a window.

On our next cruise, we've booked our first suite--can't wait!

Cheers!

Jayne

We've done 2 cruises and both times had a room with an oceanview. I can't imagine not having a view. But--if money is tight, then it's the best you can do and still be on a ship. I have seen those rooms when the steward had the door open to clean the room. They look quite dark to me, but then if you simply sleep there and spend most of your time outside your room, then it shouldn't matter. Of course I have only seen these rooms on 2 ships - Celebrity Zenith and Carnival Fascination. I have no idea how the other ships fare for inside rooms. They might be pleasant.

We simply change and sleep in there. We just finished our 3rd transatlantic (34+ and counting) and have taken the inside all but 4 times. We are rarely in the cabin and it enables us to cruise more. I do enjoy the view, but I get a very nice view from the deck. :)

I booked the least expensive room on our cruise, ya know the rooms without windows. I figure that we probably wont be in our room much. Is it really that bad having no window?:confused:

I don't know if you are traveling with children, but my wife and I find that a balcony room really helps with the boredom while our daughter sleeps...(ie: no tv on). Otherwise it's a hushed whisper of " I'll be back in 20 mins..." With the balcony We both can sip a drink and look at the moon... :rolleyes: We have had an inside room before, and let's face it you can talk yourself into believing almost anything, such as " We only sleep in hear. " Just have FUN !!! :p

To the OP: I love inside cabins. The pitch black darkness at night is extremely conducive to a good night's sleep. And the lower fares allow me to go on more cruises or spend the money on excursions. Personally, in the few instances when I have opted for a view, I have booked a balcony. An oceanview, to me, is not worth the extra money but a balcony definitely is.

strictly personal prefernce. I am one of those cruisers that spends more time in my cabin than not, as we don't gamble, play bingo or partake in any of the on board activities except eating and drinking, so for us, an inside is not an option. We like our balconies to sit and sip our morning coffee on or our pre dinner glass of wine.

Our next cruise, we may downgrade to a an Oceanview, but only because it will be a 5 day instead of a longer one. But then again,the prices for Juinior Suites on that same cruise are pretyy reasonable, so we may splurge, too....

I have had 2 inside cabins. Not an issue here. Pretty much slept, got dress, and leave. Worked for us. I would do it again.

But I must say, we are getting our first balcony on Sunday! Can't wait!

Yes this is all personal preferrence. Our first cruise was a balcony and we enjoyed it. We also felt like we nedded to spend more time in the roon since we had paid extra for it. Ate breakfast on it every morning, etc.. While sitting on the balcony one morning we actually discussed whether it was worth the money seeing how little time we spent in the room.

We decided that if by booking inside we could cruise more often then that is what we would do. Have had 2 insides since and have had great cruises. just use the wake-up call and an alarm clock to insure we get up.

The truth is that our last two cruises have been basicly second vacations each year. By booking inside we can add this extra trip to our travels each year. The value of the inside cabin allows this.

Fins Up! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

We just got home from the Elation. We had booked an IS Guarantee, and that's what we got, an IS room. It was a nice room, however not having a window bothered us more than I thought it would. Our only regret is not booking an OS room. We were in the room enough that it would have made a difference to us. We did not like waking up in the morning, and not knowing if it was morning, the room was so dark! We had really rough seas our first 2 days, and a windowless room really made the seasickness worse!

So, IMO, it is worth the extra $$$ to upgrade. Next time, we will!

I've only had one inside room and never again...slept way too much. drove me crazy not to know hat the weather was like. I enjoy relaxing in my cabin at times, to get away from all the people on the ship, so to sit in a dark small room is not what I want. I usually cruise with a balcony, but have also cruised with an oceanview. I won't cruise unless I can at least be in an oceanview.

The first cruise I went on, I was worried about booking an inside cabin, so I went with OV. This particular "ocean view" cabin had a small, round portal window, that was just about useless. (That's not always the case with OV cabins, though. Just know what you're getting.) I have since been in an inside cabin and had no problem with that. I like having a window or, even better, a balcony, though. I'm booked in a balcony cabin for my next cruise, and the price difference was not too bad. If you're on a tight budget, though, I think the inside cabins are fine for most people.

We only book inside gty's and have had no problems. Hubby is always the first to wake up and he turns on the tv to the ship cam to see what it is like outside. And for port days we just set up a wakeup call and get going.

Last cruise we were upgraded to a balcony (don't expect that to happen again) and it was nice. We really did not spend any more time in the cabin but we did like being able to take photos from there. Found out that when we did want to nap during the day it was a pain to have to close the curtains right to block out the sun.

We've only cruised twice and both times had an inside cabin. First time was with our daughter and her boyfriend and second time just the two of us. We didn't mind it at all because to be honest we couldn't afford much more. If I had the choice I would love to include a balcony, but we slept really well. So I wouldn't get too hung up on it. Inside cabin means we can cruise more often than is really possible. We are heading for our 3rd cruise on the Emerald Princess with 6 of us going and once again it will be an inside cabin.

We've only had an inside cabin once but we enjoyed it. Whenever we book our cruises, DH says to check the price of an outside vs an inside and if it's only a few dollars more, go for the outside cabin. We loved the amount of rest we were able to get on an inside in the total darkness. We always used an alarm clock, though, to make sure we didn't sleep through things.

livinforcruisin: You're doing an inside cabin on the Emerald Princess with 6 people? Are you serious? That's going to be like living inside a suitcase that has a bathroom - I can't imagine how you're going to do that!!! What are you planning for formal evenings where everybody has to get ready? Can you elaborate?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have always had an OV but I thought that there would be no problem trying an inside. When I did there was a problem with the A/C and they changed our cabin to another which was outside on the first day. I didn't think that I would have a problem sailing inside for 1 week.

Now that I am a solo cruiser not wanting to pay a single supplement I will be doing a single inside cabin and my cruise is for 30 days. I hope that I will be happy. I always keep the TV on to the webcam channel to see the time and weather while providing the appropriate nightlight for me. I won't be going until October and will report after I return.

Fran

Archived