October Cruises in Alaska?

Caz

Hi,

I don't know if you can help me. My sister & I would like to cruise along the Alaskan coast next year, either preceeded by or followed by a trip through the Rockies - probably on the Rocky Mountaineer. :)

We'd like to time our trip to co-incide with Autumn (Fall) as we'd prefer to do the Rockies trip during the most colourful time of the year, but we have to be in the UK on both the 15th & 20th of September, so any trip we take must see us home before then, or have us leaving after that time. :cool:

The trouble is that I dont seem to be able to see any Alaska cruises in October, the last I've seen so far is the 18th Septembe - no good to us, we'll still be between family birthday parties! Im sure I saw October '04 cruises though - do the cruise lines add to the cruises they do later in the year? Seems a little unlikely! :(

If we can't do this trip in the Autumn, what would be the next- best time of year to do our cruise/rail trip? Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any ideas. :)

The Alaskan cruise season is from May - September, with June, July, and August being the peak months. September in Alaska is autumn, I believe. May and September offer the cheapest prices and coldest weather, also fewer children because school is in session.

Around the 3rd week in Sept., the cruise lines reposition their ships to Hawaii or the Caribbean.

Roz

If you are tied to the October timeframe, you might want to consider the Alaska Ferry. I believe they still run in October. It certainly isn't the Constellation, but you would get to see a great deal of the coastal area.

Just another option..

Jim

When we lived in Fairbanks--which is farther north than you plan to go--the leaves started turning beautiful gold the end of August. One Halloween when I took my kids trick or treating, I thought it was particularly cold--got home & looked at the thermometor--thirty below zero!! Now I know it doesn't even get that cold on the coast usually, but October is a bit late for an Alaska cruise!

Thank you all for your help! :)

The only reason we were looking at October was because of the two birthdays and wanting to see the autumn colours. If we can do that earlier in September that's fine! I have to admit I was a little concerned about how cold it would be on an Alaska cruise during October! :D Autumn in the UK is late September/early October, sometimes later but I wasnt so sure about Canada/Alaska.

General Max - we have pretty much decided to go on the Goldleaf service, even though it's twice the price the glass dome carriage looks absolutely fabulous and worth the extra. What we were ideally hoping to do was an Alaskan cruise, the rail trip through the Rockies, a day or two in Vancouver with a trip to Whistler and a day or two in Jasper, flying into/out of Vancouver/Calgary all depending which way round we go. :)

We're so excited - neither of us have ever been on a cruise before & we are so hoping to be able to get this trip together, even though it's over a year away I can't wait! Also, I have to say that finding these boards has been great, you are all so well informed and reading the various forums has been a real eye-opener in terms of making us realise some of the things we need to think about to get the most out of our trip!

So, once again, my thanks to all of you for your help! :)

End of August beg of Sept is a great time. BUT for foliage- head to New England- just superior and I live in prime viewing area- you don't see me ever traveling beginning of October. :) The Ca. Rockies are easy to travel on your own too, via rail then rental cars. Be sure to get out and see the areas, some of the tours don't.

Archived