Defogging your mask

jstewie23

Aquaseal - Super Sea Drops Defog and Lens Cleaner (from the dive shop or on-line). Costs about $4.00 and I haven't finished a bottle in a season yet (2-3 drops and no fog). Plus the bottle's small enough that you can keep one tucked in your wetsuit sleeve for defogging underwater. Yes, this works, takes practice. First take off your mask and hold it lenses towards the surface, take your reg and put a few puffs of air into the mask, take your sea drops and squeeze with the tip touching your lens to dispense the drops, rub with your finger, turn the mask downward to reflood it, swish around for 1-2 seconds, put the mask back on and clear as usual. Again, don't try this in open water conditions without practicing first (more impressive than air bubble rings :O) ).

Randall

Old fashioned spit. Works great and the price is right.

Exactly! and it may sound a tad gross to some of you but those who scuba can tell you it works the best! :p

Although if you have small children prepare them ahead of time. My daughter was not thrilled the first time I spit into her mask! LOL

Exactly! and it may sound a tad gross to some of you but those who scuba can tell you it works the best! :p

Although if you have small children prepare them ahead of time. My daughter was not thrilled the first time I spit into her mask! LOL

Hi,

But try spitting in your mask at 40ft. (see my note above) after going through a thermocyne and having the colder air start to fog your mask around the edges. LOL :O)

Randall

A good portion of fogging is caused by build up of contaminants on the mask glass. After diving I always recommend cleaning the inside glass of your mask with plain toothpaste. Gently scrub your glass with a mix of toothpaste and a little water to make it sparkling clean. When I dive I use the product mentioned above, Sea Drops but a little soap works well too. Anyone I have helped through this process never fogs.

P.S. I use plain Crest toothpaste if your wondering.

\After diving I always recommend cleaning the inside glass of your mask with plain toothpaste. Gently scrub your glass with a mix of toothpaste and a little water to make it sparkling clean. P.S. I use plain Crest toothpaste if your wondering.

Hi,

Not to mention that fresh mint smell you get. Plain Colgate is what I prefer (seems a bit more gritty for cleaning my mask).

Randall

Toothpaste works very well. I also use SeaDrops sometimes, leftover from my diver daughter and because I have it. It's a very good product, but for just snorkeling I'm not sure if it's worth the price. I certainly wouldn't make a special trip to a dive store to buy one for snorkeling. You'll be fine between toothpaste, baby shampoo and ever so reliable good old fashioned spit.

we refer to the bottled defog

as artificial spit

:p

ya actually need a wee bit of a lugee .... pure saliva doesn't work as well

I know ...... gross

but did you ever see a bottle of defog on Sea Hunt :cool:

Used to use spit all the time... then one time.. I spent the whole dive seeing green... couldn't figure out what it was till the dive was over..Left a bit of the lugee on the lens and didn't notice it until it was too late.

Now I spend the $2 on Sea Drops and no more green fish!!!

Just make sure to clean the lens before usage...

So what do you folks use to defog your snorkel mask? I keep hearing that Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo works great. Any experiences?

Thanks.

I agree with simonv, there is nothing like good old fashion spit, and you never run out.

Bob

Here's the number 1 way to make sure your mask will not fog. It starts with a glass of milk. Not that 2% stuff either. Drink it back about 20 minuets before the dive and your spit will be the best fog killing goo you've ever seen. You also get a bit of vit D and some calcium to boot. Try getting that from a bottle of anti-fog:D

I use SeaGold drops.. apply one drop on each lense once in the morning and it's good for three dives day. Use toothpaste to clean the inside after every day of diving/snorkeling. As mentioned above, it's the contaminates on the glass that causes the fogging to occur at depth.

I have been using the same $5 bottle of SeaGold for the past three years (+75 dives). I bought it with my Mares X-Vision mask.

and you've cleaned it with toothpaste, used spit or another defog agent, and it still fogs--you are breathing a little thru your nose--that's a temperature difference that will fog a mask. Clear it by admitting a little water, slosh it around, and blow it out by blowing gently thru your nose. Tilt your face up, holding the mask against your forehead, blow. Continue having fun........

• 3 weeks later...

Archived